AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-07-25, 18:30   Link #17881
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Of course. But there are too many things going on right now that need to be managed. Let's get more of the absolute essentials completed first before undertaking the parts that are optional.

But I'm definitely calling you back later on, Shinya.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 20:30   Link #17882
ryanasaurus0077
Nostalgia Critic's #1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
...I don't know what "gall" is.
It means they were courageous enough to do something.
Old 2009-07-25, 22:35   Link #17883
Jintor

I'd like to finish scripting before we stat talking about voices...
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 01:12   Link #17884
besieger
Fabulous Shadowy Advisor

Voices? Voices will inflate this thing by about 100 times. No kid.
besieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 01:40   Link #17885
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
I can't quite agree with voices. I mean, sure, it'd be nice (I may be able to do someone), but as been said, the filesize would simply become huge. If Ren'Py is able to compile an installer that allows to choose to install voices, though, everyone would be happy, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Although I'd love to have the narration be fully voiced, that's an insane amount of lines, so we'll probably do what most VNs do and only have Kyon speak when he's actually talking.
Two things with this, 1) wouldn't that ruin Kyon's typical moments of where he thinks something but characters respond regardless and 2) from my VN experience, the Player Character doesn't talk ever.
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 01:46   Link #17886
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
I can't quite agree with voices. I mean, sure, it'd be nice (I may be able to do someone), but as been said, the filesize would simply become huge. If Ren'Py is able to compile an installer that allows to choose to install voices, though, everyone would be happy, right?
I don't know if Ren'Py can do that (I will search about), but it possible just make it a separate and optional download. If you want voices you download it, if don't want, you don't download.

Quote:
Two things with this, 1) wouldn't that ruin Kyon's typical moments of where he thinks something but characters respond regardless and 2) from my VN experience, the Player Character doesn't talk ever.
1) Huge problem, agree.
2) Fate/Stay Night disagrees with you.

Last edited by Heatth; 2009-07-26 at 02:08.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 01:48   Link #17887
Jintor

Please, reign in the ambition.

I'd like to finish producing at least up to Day Six before we even contemplate Voices. This means art, music, programming, everything.
Old 2009-07-26, 01:53   Link #17888
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
The Senior Editor's position is my own as well. Although I'll take it further and say I want at least the first three routes done before contemplating anything.

One thing at a time.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 01:54   Link #17889
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
I don't know if Ren'Py can do that (I will search about), but it possible just make it a separate and optional download.
I've done a quick search, and found this. It says you can change all kinds of values, but I don't know if that includes giving options for voices etc looking at the NSIS page it seems its very possible.
Quote:
User selection of installation components, tree for component selection
Multiple install configurations (usually Minimal, Typical, Full), and custom configuration
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 02:01   Link #17890
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Mmmm. Just to be different, what if you only had Kyon/Kyonko's inner thoughts voiced, and no one else. It would allow for those moments when a player hears Kyon say something and then a character seemingly responds to it as if he or she said it.
Old 2009-07-26, 02:02   Link #17891
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Please, reign in the ambition.

I'd like to finish producing at least up to Day Six before we even contemplate Voices. This means art, music, programming, everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
The Senior Editor's position is my own as well. Although I'll take it further and say I want at least the first three routes done before contemplating anything.

One thing at a time.
I frankly don't understand this kind of mentality. We are just discussing it for now. I agree that we shouldn't make it a priority, so, for exemple, we programers shouldn't work on it for now. But if we are really going for a dub, Shinya can go doing what he can for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
but I don't know if that includes giving options for voices etc looking at the NSIS page it seems its very possible.
Thanks., I will give a look Oh, good then, but I will not really work on it for now. Anyway I prefer the two donwload option. The mean problem of a big game, for me, is the time to download it.

*e*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Mmmm. Just to be different, what if you only had Kyon/Kyonko's inner thoughts voiced, and no one else. It would allow for those moments when a player hears Kyon say something and then a character seemingly responds to it as if he or she said it.
This would be strange. And more conplicated. There is less speaking then narrating.

*e*
I did a (very) quick test and, if you make it run a voice file, the program seen keep runing no matter if ther is or not the file. So the file size it is not really an issue. We can just make it as a separate file and us programers will don't even need to work to make it possible.

Last edited by Heatth; 2009-07-26 at 02:43.
Old 2009-07-26, 02:50   Link #17892
CanadaAotS
Manly Picnic

Send a message via MSN to CanadaAotS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Spoiler for September the Third, Day 2, Universe 1: Lunchtime: Another Hallway- The Way of the Nanpa:
The "I'M SURROUNDED BY IDIOTS" bit was great. lol.
CanadaAotS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 03:09   Link #17893
CanadaAotS
Manly Picnic

Send a message via MSN to CanadaAotS
I'm going to make a separate post to address the dub issue. In my opinion, this seems like a needlessly divisive decision that has no bearing on the VN until quite a long way in the future.

It's not something that needs to be decided on now, simply because any decision we make this early in the game won't matter at all a year from now.

Since there seems to be at least some support on the issue, we should let this fandub group know that we might be looking for english dubbers in the future, and leave it at that. My opinion is that the entire script should be set in stone before we even contemplate this. Voice dubbers need lines that don't change, and the one thing that'll still get modified throughout the development is the script.

tl;dr Bridge, cross, later

And for the record, I'm of the opinion that dubs are a bad idea, unless you want to hire some professionals. That's quite a ways outside our budget (of zero dollars), but even if cost wasn't a factor, I'd still be really iffy about it.
Dub voices will just ruin the inner voice we all have in our heads about what the characters should sound like.

Edit: FtR Part 2 - If this is the same fandub group that did the dramatic readings of the novels, I liked the Kyonko. haha.
CanadaAotS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 03:22   Link #17894
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaAotS View Post
I'm going to make a separate post to address the dub issue. In my opinion, this seems like a needlessly divisive decision that has no bearing on the VN until quite a long way in the future.

It's not something that needs to be decided on now, simply because any decision we make this early in the game won't matter at all a year from now.

Since there seems to be at least some support on the issue, we should let this fandub group know that we might be looking for english dubbers in the future, and leave it at that. My opinion is that the entire script should be set in stone before we even contemplate this. Voice dubbers need lines that don't change, and the one thing that'll still get modified throughout the development is the script.
I don't think anyone was suggesting that it must decide right now. The only decision that must be done is if it is or not a possibility (so the group know). I don't believe that the script must be done before the final decision, just before the actual record.

Quote:
And for the record, I'm of the opinion that dubs are a bad idea, unless you want to hire some professionals. That's quite a ways outside our budget (of zero dollars), but even if cost wasn't a factor, I'd still be really iffy about it.
Dub voices will just ruin the inner voice we all have in our heads about what the characters should sound like.

Edit: FtR Part 2 - If this is the same fandub group that did the dramatic readings of the novels, I liked the Kyonko. haha.
Agree.
Old 2009-07-26, 03:29   Link #17895
Jintor

Quote:
I frankly don't understand this kind of mentality. We are just discussing it for now. I agree that we shouldn't make it a priority, so, for exemple, we programers shouldn't work on it for now. But if we are really going for a dub, Shinya can go doing what he can for now.
I have my doubts whether we can even produce up to day six at the moment. Dubbing just compounds them.
Old 2009-07-26, 04:03   Link #17896
Heatth

So lack of faith

Anyway, the point is discussing the issue don't slow down the project at all. So there is no reason to dissmiss it just because we have other prioritys. If we, by chance, decide that, yes, we are going to have a dub, don't mean we have to start worring about it right now. It is like the music and sound effects, we know we are needing it, but we are busy with other issues so we don't think about it.
Old 2009-07-26, 05:38   Link #17897
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Quote:
So lack of faith
Basically, yes. If you work on a Project with limited resources, and that Project just grows bigger and bigger, people start to get bored and losing faith that it will ever be done, because the goal gets more and more far. This is why it's a Bridge that should be Crossed Later. First, a simpler goal needed to aim for; if that's done, then the other.

I speak from experience, it was the fate of all my projects (damn my idea bank, even with my writing project; it started as a three chapter long short story, and ended up as a novel series, even before I started writing it).
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 05:47   Link #17898
ShinyaKyoto

Send a message via AIM to ShinyaKyoto Send a message via Yahoo to ShinyaKyoto
It doesn't matter to me if it will be voiced or not, I just thought i could help you guys. I still have the dramatic readings of the novels as Heath said to do which i should start working on chapter 6.
ShinyaKyoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 09:23   Link #17899
ryanasaurus0077
Nostalgia Critic's #1 fan

Here's my opinion on who should do the gender-flipped voices:

Japanese version
Minoru Shiraishi as Haruki Suzumiya
Maya Sakamoto as Kyonko
Akira Ishida as Yuuki Nagato
Youko Honna as Mitsuuru Asahina (small)
Satsuki Yukino as Itsuko Koizumi
Yasunori Matsumoto as Ryou Asakura
Mitsuru Ogata as Tsuruya-san
Kensho Ono as Mitsuuru Asahina (big)

English version
Tony Oliver as Haruki Suzumiya
Philece Sampler as Kyonko
Joshua Seth as Yuuki Nagato
Brianne Siddall as Mitsuuru Asahina (small)
Dorothy Elias-Fahn as Itsuko Koizumi
Michael Lindsay as Ryou Asakura
Matt "Masamune" Miller as Tsuruya-san
Doug Erholtz as Mitsuuru Asahina (big)
Old 2009-07-26, 10:29   Link #17900
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Basically, yes. If you work on a Project with limited resources, and that Project just grows bigger and bigger, people start to get bored and losing faith that it will ever be done, because the goal gets more and more far. This is why it's a Bridge that should be Crossed Later. First, a simpler goal needed to aim for; if that's done, then the other.

I speak from experience, it was the fate of all my projects (damn my idea bank, even with my writing project; it started as a three chapter long short story, and ended up as a novel series, even before I started writing it).
But this is just when it grow too much before actually acomplish anything right? Many aspects of this project are going very well as far I can see.

Anyway, I am not saying we must start working on it right now. I am just saying we must consider the proposal, so Shinya can know if it is a possibility or not. We already did that, by the way: It is, and Danchou will call him when (and if) the time comes.

This do not inpede we talk about the matter, for fun. We go off-topic all time, why not now? And it is on topic, just not the most important one.

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan