AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad series - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 280 64.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 22.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 7.19%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 2.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.46%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.23%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.23%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.16%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-17, 12:45   Link #201
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th_warrior View Post
I watched only the first season and 2 OVA , but I can definitely say that Clannad is awesome.
But Fuko arc, well, is was so boring and stretched out so I wanted to drop the series.
Though when I found out that AS is actually only Nagisa x Tomoya I decided not to continue with AS.
I literally hate Nagisa and I doubt that my opinion will change. Kyuo or Tomoyo suit Tomoyo much better.
Quote:
That's why I don't want to watch AS because I don't want for my opinion to change. If they release Tomoyo AS I would watch it but not Nagisa AS.
I don't know how you can hate Nagisa but hey, I'm speaking as a Nagisa fan so you don't have to listen to me . Although I think it's a shame that you don't want to watch After Story when it's the best part of the actual series. After Story demonstrates to us how important family can be to a person and it's the bulk of the plot so I don't see why you shouldn't watch it. You're really missing out.

When one hates a character, you actually want your opinion to change, at least that's the case for me. If I dislike a character but I know that person will be the one chosen, then I certainly want to see a development in their character that will change my opinion about them from bad to good (although it won't happen all the time.) Initially I wasn't a Nagisa fan, I actually thought she was kind of bland in the first season and when I realized that Tomoya was going to choose Nagisa, I easily accepted it because I didn't see any reason why he shouldn't.

After Story is amazing though, Nagisa's character has a development which I never expected (since I didn't play the VN) and this is where I fell in love with her character. Now whether or not you want to watch AS, is your choice but aside from their relationship, you're missing out on the most significant aspects of the plot.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2009-08-17 at 13:44.
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 13:40   Link #202
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Though when I found out that AS is actually only Nagisa x Tomoya I decided not to continue with AS.
If it changes your opinion in the slightest, AS more than being a Nagisa arc it's more of a Tomoya arc. The most important character in AS, and the one that receives the most development is Tomoya himself
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 13:45   Link #203
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
That's why I don't want to watch AS because I don't want for my opinion to change. If they release Tomoyo AS I would watch it but not Nagisa AS.
if you really intend not to watch it because you dont WANT to like nagisa
then thats your decision
your WRONG decision, but yours none the less

on the whole though, watching all of season 1 and not watching after story is like watching season 1 and quiting after fuko's arc ends
you miss the best part of the story by far
Old 2009-08-17, 13:51   Link #204
Aqua Knight

Dex-kun
you convinced me to watch it.
Btw AS opening is awesome.
Aqua Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 14:12   Link #205
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Hey Dex-Kun.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 14:17   Link #206
DeX-kun

Quote:
Dex-kun
you convinced me to watch it.
Oh yes, and I forgot to mention the music. That opening song is my favorite But I'm glad that you're watching it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Great timing to use that gif; I must say

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-08-17, 14:53   Link #207
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
The really fast piano part at the end is something I like to listen to a lot.

Anyhow, I suppose everyone "ships" but sometimes matches don't have to be perfect and should be given time to grow. After all, nothing really is perfect and I feel the only time to complain about these things when you have a sudden ass pull pairing. The best example of that for me was probaly a certain scifi show where it came out of literally nowhere in the last episode and almost seemed contemptuous.

But I will say that if you were looking for lots of romantic tension in Clannad, it's just not there in this anime since it becomes pretty clear that Nagisa is the "default" and any other possibility just gets demolished in episode 18 of the first season. This isn't good or bad-- I usually get annoyed at series where it remains ambiguous at the end either because the writers are too cowardly to do anything or they want to make sequels.

Then of course, we should really know what happened to everyone else though! -_- And not just in alternate universes.

And hey, I like Tomoyo better, but I don't actually like that TomoxTomo pairing that much. She's just too independent to be bogged down with these silly things, for now at least as she has much to accomplish Which is actually why I didn't like her borderline moeblob counterpart as much in the other world.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2009-08-17 at 15:14.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 15:00   Link #208
Akka

Quote:
I cry everytime I see it :'(

BTW, I was someone who had quite a hard time with Nagisa, found her boring and bland, and I was completely blow away by AS, and found it even better than the first season - which I loved. So you definitely had a good idea to at least try.
Nagisa is much more likeable in this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
But I will say that if you were looking for lots of romantic tension in Clannad, it's just not there in this anime since it becomes pretty clear that Nagisa is the "default" and any other possibility just gets demolished in episode 18 of the first season.
Well, actually it gets demolished in perhaps the fifteen first seconds of the show.
Come on, don't tell me anybody had any doubt that the first girl with all the flowing petals around was the One ?
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 16:53   Link #209
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
Well, actually it gets demolished in perhaps the fifteen first seconds of the show.
Come on, don't tell me anybody had any doubt that the first girl with all the flowing petals around was the One ?
Well the Gym Storage scene did begin to give me doubts

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-08-19, 17:54   Link #210
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Well the Gym Storage scene did begin to give me doubts
We're talking about japanese shows. With very few exceptions, you can be sure that if something is going to happen between the hero and a girl and it's not the last episode, then that's a misunderstanding or a red herring.
Old 2009-08-19, 18:37   Link #211
DeX-kun

Quote:
We're talking about japanese shows. With very few exceptions, you can be sure that if something is going to happen between the hero and a girl and it's not the last episode, then that's a misunderstanding or a red herring.
I was joking I was pretty sure that Nagisa was the "special" one from the beginning

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-08-19, 19:00   Link #212
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:

Hey, hey petals are flying around everyone. But like I said, romantic ambiguity was never there. Episode 18 was just dropping the hammer on the bits.

However, it's kinda funny how the initial scene turned me off at first because I thought there was not gonna be any suspense in that area. And there really wasn't, but then again the show was never meant to be that.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 20:19   Link #213
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I was joking I was pretty sure that Nagisa was the "special" one from the beginning
I was in need of bitching about the overused cliché in anime where you nearly never see an actual relationship developping.
(though in fact Clannad is actually one of the few exception if we count AS, but bitching needs are bitching needs)
Old 2009-08-19, 22:27   Link #214
DeX-kun

Quote:
I was in need of bitching about the overused cliché in anime where you nearly never see an actual relationship developping.
(though in fact Clannad is actually one of the few exception if we count AS, but bitching needs are bitching needs)
I can understand that but the problem is that whether we complain about it or not, we won't be able to change anything That's why I'd rather just accept it unless a show is really bad, then I would complain and move on

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-08-21, 04:43   Link #215
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
thats actually what makes after story so great
its one of the rare cases where the entire story is AFTER the main couple hooks up
several YEARS into it in fact
Old 2009-08-22, 10:27   Link #216
Nosauz

actually, it doesn't go that many years, deep, hes only worked as an electrician for a year when nagisa gets pregnant, and the time skip is after a pivotal moment, and your not really seeing those five years played out. But yea it's still an amazing series that I would come back to, if only they would do a nice proper routes for all the main girls that would be nice since it does tie into the story proper as well.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 10:46   Link #217
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

He still goes through three Decembers with her (Three large Dangos) after they start dating. Most shows would stop as soon as they are confirmed as a item with no chance of any of the other girls having a shot anymore. Shows like Toradora went just a little bit after the final hookup, but Clannad goes the full five miles beyond resolution and marriage. Up through pregnancy and starting to raise a family. That is about a light year beyond any harem-like storyline. And while most of the other girls vanish after they graduate from schools, they don't all go away completely.
Old 2009-09-01, 17:39   Link #218
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

First off...i want to curse [-meaning thank-] ALL of you who recommended that i watch season 2 -> Clannad After Story. I was a bit put off by the first season, though it packed a nice punch, i went into the first season expecting something like Kanon 2006. I didn't find it all that great, but it was still good...but i never got around to watching Clannad AS. Plus, the first two episodes of AS looked rather boring, so i thought it was going to be slice of life all 24 episodes...

Boy was I wrong. I got hooked after 3 episodes-ish...and finished this whole series in 2 days. I cried my heart out at episode 13(?) when okazaki asked nagisa to marry him and she was just like "hai"...absolutely beautiful. Then I cried even more in episode 16 with her death, I kept hoping she'd just stay awake and make it through...and episode 18 was even more epic and amazing...and really made me cry a lot. I didn't know i could cry so much, and this series was truly a great experience. Ushio's death scene was just as tragic, and the ending...was a well deserved one for okazaki who had gone through so much. Congrats Tomoya, you deserved it :P.

Anyway, it was a great series...i really loved the mix of humor, sadness, friendship, love, and the importance of family.

10/10. And this couldn't have possibly been accomplished without the help of the seiyuus who truly did an amazing job with the acting. I was very very impressed.

Again, i have to thank all of you who kept urging me to watch this season...yet at the same time im rather angry cuz i was so sad and teary for a while during episodes 16-22 until the end when...SECOND CHANCE YAY!
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 23:13   Link #219
coderlan
Student

I didn't really understand the last few episodes...Is Tomoya having a dream, that is; Nagisa dies, suffering, and Ushio dies after? IMO, the word 'dream' is actually the Illusionary world? and in the final episode, Tomoya wake up from that nightmare and miraculously returned back to the delivery of Ushio, Nagisa and ushio were safe after all....Am I correct?

Thus, it's a Perfect 10.
coderlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 23:54   Link #220
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
First off...i want to curse [-meaning thank-] ALL of you who recommended that i watch season 2 -> Clannad After Story. I was a bit put off by the first season, though it packed a nice punch, i went into the first season expecting something like Kanon 2006. I didn't find it all that great, but it was still good...but i never got around to watching Clannad AS. Plus, the first two episodes of AS looked rather boring, so i thought it was going to be slice of life all 24 episodes...

Boy was I wrong. I got hooked after 3 episodes-ish...and finished this whole series in 2 days. I cried my heart out at episode 13(?) when okazaki asked nagisa to marry him and she was just like "hai"...absolutely beautiful. Then I cried even more in episode 16 with her death, I kept hoping she'd just stay awake and make it through...and episode 18 was even more epic and amazing...and really made me cry a lot. I didn't know i could cry so much, and this series was truly a great experience. Ushio's death scene was just as tragic, and the ending...was a well deserved one for okazaki who had gone through so much. Congrats Tomoya, you deserved it :P.

Anyway, it was a great series...i really loved the mix of humor, sadness, friendship, love, and the importance of family.

10/10. And this couldn't have possibly been accomplished without the help of the seiyuus who truly did an amazing job with the acting. I was very very impressed.

Again, i have to thank all of you who kept urging me to watch this season...yet at the same time im rather angry cuz i was so sad and teary for a while during episodes 16-22 until the end when...SECOND CHANCE YAY!
You're welcome The scene where Tomoya proposed to Nagisa was intense, I felt all that emotion built up there and it was powerful, also one of my favorite scenes because of how Nagisa handled everything, another reason why she's my favorite heroine Well the series does have that bitter sweet type of feeling and only because of episodes 16-21 but for the most part, it's a great feeling after finishing the whole series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderlan View Post
I didn't really understand the last few episodes...Is Tomoya having a dream, that is; Nagisa dies, suffering, and Ushio dies after? IMO, the word 'dream' is actually the Illusionary world? and in the final episode, Tomoya wake up from that nightmare and miraculously returned back to the delivery of Ushio, Nagisa and ushio were safe after all....Am I correct?
The illusionary world is an alternate universe that coexists with the world that we mostly saw. Everything that happened to Tomoya really did happen and the end result only occurred because Tomoya was able to exist in both worlds. His wishes were so strong that he recreated his world so that Nagisa was able to live through the delivery. It's a lot deeper than Tomoya just having a dream, but this is the best I can do to explain the ending in a condensed manner.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"