AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-08-23, 02:11   Link #1
Solidus1321

Send a message via Yahoo to Solidus1321
Inglorious Basterds (2009), your take on it.

Well I just seen this movie and was wondering how you all that have seen it felt about it. For me I thought it was funny as hell when they were on the parts with the the bastards, brad pitt was amazing in it, but when they were not in and the parts were you had to read subs it just got really dry and I didn't think the movie was going be like that. So I guess I was little disappointed comeing out, Wish there was more of the bastards fighting the germans.
Solidus1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 04:24   Link #2
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:

Here are some promo poster was a little surprised to see this thread lacking attention : D

Huge fan of Tarantino and absolutely loved his last flick Death Proof . I really want to see Tarantino's spin on WWII and how he added his own spunk to it . I hope the dialogues have the same pizazz as Quentin's other movie. Have been following the making of the movie even remember this photo . Probably going to catch this flick next week or as time permits

Out of the recent WW2 Flicks only Defiance was good Valkyrie was meh . I hope I am thrilled and entertained as I was with Enemy at the Gates . Though Inglorious BastErds is a different premise all together

Old 2009-08-23, 11:26   Link #3
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

The movie had the usual tarantino flare to it and being the huge fan of him that I am, I loved it. With his usual genre mashing style, he has delivered another unique and entertaining movie.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 11:53   Link #4
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Saw the trailers and have to say has the stamp of Tarantino all over it . I liked the character Pitt is portraying the accent further adds to his persona . I am impressed by what I have seen so far .

Here are the trailers , the second trailer has come out really cool especially the Oh Yes Oh Yes Yes part at 2.10 : )

Trailer 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQhTVz5IjQ

Trailer 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOMKloOEKcU
Old 2009-08-23, 13:11   Link #5
ZeBird0
In a tree

Looks awesome, def gonna see it.
Old 2009-08-23, 14:21   Link #6
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
its been on my "cinema worthy" list ever since I saw the first trailer of it
I heard many good things about the movie so far, its def worth a look

btw there were quite a few WWII movies this year D:
Valkyrie, Good, Defiance and now this one as well
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 17:02   Link #7
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

In general I am tired of watching yet another WWII movie. But this one is a QT. So I expect it to be uh... different.
Old 2009-08-23, 19:18   Link #8
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Three scenes in particular stood out for me, all being high in tension, and two of which featuring Christoph Waltz (Hans Landa) - who I thought was particulalrly good. Even though all the characters were basically caricatured, and the end was kind of silly, it was still very entertaining. Kinda gruesome too.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 21:38   Link #9
Solidus1321

Send a message via Yahoo to Solidus1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Saw the trailers and have to say has the stamp of Tarantino all over it . I liked the character Pitt is portraying the accent further adds to his persona.]
Ha yeah he did a great job he plays someone from Tennessee and im from like 20 mins where his character came from, he hit the nail on the head pretty much. Ever go to Tennessee you will see a lot of it.
Solidus1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 01:33   Link #10
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus1321 View Post
Ha yeah he did a great job he plays someone from Tennessee and im from like 20 mins where his character came from, he hit the nail on the head pretty much. Ever go to Tennessee you will see a lot of it.
Last time I have felt so enthusiastic about a move was F&F . I am so excited about this I might end up ditching my friends and going solo for this . Cant wait till weekend the trailers got to me : P

Coming to the accent, the accent helps in adding to Aldo's unpolished and brutish personality . The all important question though is, will Aldo garness surpass Jules sarcasm .

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2009-08-24 at 01:43. Reason: img link
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 01:57   Link #11
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection
Loved the humor and dialogue. I liked that the native languages were used since I enjoy hearing them and the unique expressive qualities each produce, and also the disuse of subtitles for certain parts of scenes. Both the performances of Brad Pitt and Christoph Waltz I thought were great. Tarantino makes an interesting take on the war, some good usage of gore and fitting atmosphere throughout. Overall, a fun, memorable movie. Oh yeah, Nazi Got Milk? commercial anyone? Natzies. ;D
Old 2009-08-24, 09:17   Link #12
Thingle
Banned

ack... it's okay to kill Nazis but not anyone else? The only good WW2 film was in German, Der Untergang. English-language ones are too PC.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 09:29   Link #13
ZeBird0
In a tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle
ack... it's okay to kill Nazis but not anyone else?
Nazis and japs that is -_- Americans are kinda obsessed of gloating of their win in WWII through the use of movies and video games.
Old 2009-08-24, 11:48   Link #14
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
ack... it's okay to kill Nazis but not anyone else?
The film is about killing Nazis, not the ethics of doing so. What's more both Nazis and non-Nazis die in this film...it doesn't send out the message that one particular death is anymore wrong or right than the next.

Quote:
The only good WW2 film was in German, Der Untergang. English-language ones are too PC.
And you've watched every single WW2 film, have you? Nonsense.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 13:01   Link #15
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
The film is about killing Nazis, not the ethics of doing so. What's more both Nazis and non-Nazis die in this film...it doesn't send out the message that one particular death is anymore wrong or right than the next.

And you've watched every single WW2 film, have you? Nonsense.
Easy, easy. Don't look so butt-hurt attacking my opinion
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 15:03   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
ack... it's okay to kill Nazis but not anyone else? The only good WW2 film was in German, Der Untergang. English-language ones are too PC.
I thought Das Boot (original German version) and Stalingrad (original German version) were also pretty decent WW2 films. About the only American made WW2 film I've kept a fond spot for was a comedy called "Kelly's Heroes" (made in the 70s).

I figure "Inglorious Bastards" is an over-the-top gore comedy (given QT's predilections).
Old 2009-08-24, 15:56   Link #17
james0246

Quote:
Spoiler for Team America's Ode to Pearl Harbor - sorry, your statements just made me remember this song :):
ugh, not ever film is What Did You Do in the War Daddy?, What about (not all in English):

The Bridge on the River Kwai
Schindler’s List
The Big Red One
The Thin Red Line
Patton
The Victors
Tora! Tora! Tora!
The Ogre
The Longest Day
Cockleshell Heroes
The Shop on Main Street
Europa, Europa
Au Revoir, Les Enfants
Lacombe, Lucien
Fires on the Plain
The Burmese Harp
Der Stern von Afrika
Talvisota

Die Brücke
Soldier of Orange

I'm sure I could think of 50+ more, all as good or better than Der Untergang. In other words, please stop with the sweeping generalizations . There are plenty of great WWII films that do not strictly use stereotypes as their basis of of storytelling (there are plenty that do, but quite a few that don't).

That being said, Inglorious Basterds is an old fashioned WWII film, portrayed as more of an adventure than the horrific events that they were. As an adventure film, Inglorious Basterds is superb, hell beyond superb. Eli Roth and Brad Pitt were simply wonderful, and the dialogue was some of the best Tarantino has ever written. As a WWII film, though, Inglorious Bastards barely counts (it is AU after all). Rather than calling this a war film, it is far more similar to a spaghetti-western...

And really, this film isn't even about the (positive use of) violence, gore or adventure, rather it is about American fascination and even lust for the spectacle of war and death (why else would Eli Roth be involved ). Tarantino beautifully juxtaposes the Inglorious Basterds vs. the ultra villain "Jew Hunter", leaving the audience wondering just how the Inglorious Basterds could be considered good.

Last edited by james0246; 2009-08-24 at 17:28.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 19:06   Link #18
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Schindler’s List
The Big Red One
The Thin Red Line
Patton
The Victors
Tora! Tora! Tora!
The Ogre
The Longest Day
Cockleshell Heroes
The Shop on Main Street
Europa, Europa
Au Revoir, Les Enfants
Lacombe, Lucien
Fires on the Plain
The Burmese Harp
Der Stern von Afrika
Talvisota

Die Brücke
Soldier of Orange
I haven't seen all of these but I am glad to see you mention Au Revoir Les Enfants (a great movie)

And I can think of an American WWII film that some might not think is politically correct. What about the 1940's comedy To Be or Not to Be. It's a great piece of satire. Of course Lubitsch was originally German.

Anyways I am interested in seeing Inglorious Basterds (although Tarantino can be a bit too over the top for me at times) because I actually do really like WWII focused movies. In recent years though I admit most have not been very good. And I have mixed opinions about Tarantino re-writing history so much but you have to admit it is something different from the usual WWII film.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 19:18   Link #19
DidCart

I really hope that Tarantino will come to Brazil in September to the Rio de Janeiro Int’l Film Festival 2009! I'm in the hype to watch Inglorious Basterds!
DidCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 20:59   Link #20
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Are you forgetting that Hollywood is run by rich Jewish men? That's why a lot of WW2 movies make it seem like we were in the war to save the Jewish people, which wasn't really the case. Thats also why Arabs are portrayed so negatively in most movies.

Real Bad Arabs is a pretty insight movie.