AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-09-24, 02:01   Link #1781
JaLooNz
Longtime Member

Another trainwreck like Dragonaut. I remember that the starting was acceptable (good story background, lots of potential) but after 4-6 episodes all starts to go downhill from there.

Last edited by JaLooNz; 2009-09-24 at 03:07.
JaLooNz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 02:08   Link #1782
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesie View Post
Spoiler for ending:
Dunno if it was me who you're talking about, but if it was, I don't feel even an ounce of happiness over it just for the record. These endings always leave me with a bitter taste in my mouth.

Lesson learned: don't pronounce that the winner is already obvious within the second episode when the show was already showing major signs of being a harem anime, especially when you already know they only have 1 cour to work with, even if its an eroge adaptation. There might not even be a winner in the first place. >_<

Not that we lost much anyways... the show started to go downhill somewhere in the middle, and I really personally didn't care at all in the end. What a shame when they started strong.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 11:18   Link #1783
ipernorris

Wonderful Teppei discovers who reduced his beloved parents to dust and then he says "I forgive you!"... yeah very believable!
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 11:39   Link #1784
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Actually that was me, and no I'm not happy it is a fully ambigious harem ending.
They should've given each girl 2 episodes from 7 on and instead they give Charlotte 5 episodes and everyone else 5 minutes.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 11:45   Link #1785
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Well, Teppei was a Marty Stu(male Marry Sue)...that's for sure.
He was an interesting character until halfway the story.

And my last comment about the series:
"Princess Lover!, an anime where characters like Nezu Haruhiko considered epic!"
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 12:26   Link #1786
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

harem ending?
it's obvious that he ends up with charlotte from seika asking charlotte to borrow him to sylvie telling him who he should really be discussing things with. funny thing is it seems even teppei might think charlotte isn't that smart to think those problems through.... guess what won him over was her fluffyness and her need to have body contact.
wtf was up with all the girls having their weird ass monologue about miracles...?

and l guess charlotte gave teppei a happy ending infront of sylvie
Old 2009-09-24, 14:00   Link #1787
Kopi
Σ(゚ロ゚ノ)ノ

Well all I liked in this episode was the scene where they all danced..
And one question. Who's the pregnant woman when Teppei was dreaming of his parents? did I miss something or...?
Kopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 14:59   Link #1788
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Naisu catchuu. Ending was okay.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 15:12   Link #1789
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post
Well, Teppei was a Marty Stu(male Marry Sue)...that's for sure.
He was an interesting character until halfway the story.
Actually, the more common term is "Gary Stu"

But yeah, your "Marry Sue" sounds more apt in this case.

Oh well, wasted potential in this one. The ending reminds me of Kimiaru, wherein it's more or less a harem ending while showing who's leading or the main heroine... except Kimiaru does it better by giving just enough time for each girl. Here, it almost feels like an afterthought amidst this whole Hartmann scenario that just made things worse.

I can't believe that after all of that, all is forgiven and well with Hartmann and co. So long consequences and all that, I suppose. Even for a harem comedy, this is just too much.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 16:45   Link #1790
oroboy
アニメ...大好き

I think that a lot of us as viewers don't realize what's going on behind the scenes at the animation studios.

For one thing, it's very difficult to come up with a complete storyline that would appease most viewers within 12 episodes. There's no time for character development, especially with a harem-type anime where there's a handful of characters.

I've read about situations where programs were given the green light for 24+ episodes, then right before the season starts, due to some unforeseen circumstance, the program is chopped down to something like 12 episodes. With the first few episodes completed, now the studio/writers have to come up with a completely new ending that can be finished off with the remaining episodes left, but also tie in the first few episodes that were already aired.

This could have been a marketing ploy to drive sales up on their aging eroge, or a test run... if ratings picked up, the program would be renewed for another number of episodes.

While the above is just useless speculation, I can't think of any other reason why a series would start off so strong, only to fall off mid-way through. I thought the ending would at least be better than it was, after seeing him consult all the girls about how he should apologize, it ends... WTF? Was that supposed to be an open-ended ending or something?
oroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 16:53   Link #1791
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, all I can say about the last episode is a brief summary of my reactions to it.

watch
/facepalm
watch
/facepalm
/facepalm
"I forgive everything"
/facefault

Not much registered after that.

In short, the designs were pleasing, the anime was the land of facepalms after the onsen ep.
Old 2009-09-24, 17:03   Link #1792
oroboy
アニメ...大好き

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post

In short, the designs were pleasing
I totally agree. If anything, this show had great camera shots/movements, and at times, animation that wasn't what I considered "static."

Not a lot of people may care about things like that, but as somebody who has had experience in this field before, I do take note of these little things. A lot of viewers may not realize it, but it does make for a better viewing experience (storyline aside).
oroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 21:53   Link #1793
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Why!? Why must they ruin it!? It was great in the beginning. Do you plan on ruining it? Or is it just an accident?

Old 2009-09-25, 03:24   Link #1794
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboy View Post
I think that a lot of us as viewers don't realize what's going on behind the scenes at the animation studios.

For one thing, it's very difficult to come up with a complete storyline that would appease most viewers within 12 episodes. There's no time for character development, especially with a harem-type anime where there's a handful of characters.
I don't think it's that difficult. It certainly isn't complicated, at least in theory. After all, the anime already has a enough content from the original game. All it has to do is properly adapt and connect chosen plot threads for each heroine while staying focused on its chosen direction. The thing is, the anime wanted something else entirely.

Hartmann being the intended of Charlotte, and his involvement with the fate of Teppei's parents, are actually original ideas of the anime. Charlotte's route doesn't even reveal who her fiancé is, and her story has nothing to do with Teppei's parents at all.

I liked the fact that the anime was trying to do something that had potential to make it nicely distinct from the game (i.e, Teppei as a kendo practitioner and more focus on his parents), but as it is right now it might have been better off keeping things simple. For better or for worse, the original game and the anime are quite different in the sense that even the kind of stories they wanted to tell are different from one another.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 07:51   Link #1795
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I just realized that the way they phrased Charlottes reasoning for saving the big breasted secretary. Instead of her saying Im saving her because its the right thing to do. She said shes saving her because its what Teppei would do. Not a big deal but i think certain lines like that lead to many viewers not liking her character, it made it seem like she was only doing because Teppei would even though its clear Charlotte wanted to save her.

Well i have decided not to give an over all summery of the series since im sure most of you know I was not impressed and there is no reason to rehash the same old arguments and several here have already accurately portrayed in their post what i thought of it. The series was weak and thats me being polite. Teppei in end decides to follow Gandhi and opt for forgiveness rather revenge. This although it was presented poorly i understood on some level it was still done horribly so the impact did matter. I mean who here didnt know Haltman killed his parents i mean seriously.

Princess Lover still managed not to be as bad as Fail-o-naugt but just barely. What saved it from sinking to that level. I loved all the side characters and the coolest old dudes iv seen in a long time.

My end rating for Princess Lover is: 6
I rated Dragonaut: 5

Last edited by Sinestra; 2009-09-25 at 08:33.
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 08:00   Link #1796
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Dragonaut is considered as the perfect example of "train-wreck", so shouldn't you value it much lower? Something like 2 or 3 at best!
For me Princess Lover is rated 4, and I'm very generous with it!
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 08:35   Link #1797
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I don't think it's that difficult. It certainly isn't complicated, at least in theory. After all, the anime already has a enough content from the original game. All it has to do is properly adapt and connect chosen plot threads for each heroine while staying focused on its chosen direction. The thing is, the anime wanted something else entirely.

Hartmann being the intended of Charlotte, and his involvement with the fate of Teppei's parents, are actually original ideas of the anime. Charlotte's route doesn't even reveal who her fiancé is, and her story has nothing to do with Teppei's parents at all.

I liked the fact that the anime was trying to do something that had potential to make it nicely distinct from the game (i.e, Teppei as a kendo practitioner and more focus on his parents), but as it is right now it might have been better off keeping things simple. For better or for worse, the original game and the anime are quite different in the sense that even the kind of stories they wanted to tell are different from one another.
The game aside.. its easy for a high school kid to write a more consistent and practical script.

And forget the character designs, changing Hartmann that much when he was revealed to be a bad guy. Sorry, but unless you're as good as Aizen, you don't change your appearance so much.

And the train bull with Teppei falling and Charlotte on the train magically. I thought they'd fix that but they didn't.

It is a real shame.. it had such potential. It could have been great.

Quote:
I just realized that the way they phrased Charlottes reasoning for saving the big breasted secretary. Instead of her saying Im saving her because its the right thing to do. She said shes saving her because its what Teppei would do. Not a big deal but i think certain lines like that lead to many viewers not liking her character, it made it seem like she was only doing because Teppei would even though its clear Charlotte wanted to save her.

Well i have decided not to give an over all summery of the series since im sure most of you know I was not impressed and there is no reason to rehash the same old arguments and several here have already accurately portrayed in their post what i thought of it.

Princess Lover still managed not to be as bad as Fail-o-naugt but just barely. What saved it from sinking to that level. I loved all the side characters and the coolest old dudes iv seen in a long time.

Well, Charlotte provided the humor at the end when she was on top of Teppei. I'm glad they at least returned her to her usual self instead of a princess confronting the real world. They should expand that scene in the DVDs.

Oh, I give Dragonaut a "0" since I couldn't even finish the first episode.
Old 2009-09-25, 08:39   Link #1798
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Dragonaut is considered as the perfect example of "train-wreck", so shouldn't you value it much lower? Something like 2 or 3 at best!
For me Princess Lover is rated 4, and I'm very generous with it!
I dont think i have ever rated an anime 2 or 3. For me anything less than a 7 is considered a FAIL. I dont think any anime deserves 2 or 3 i mean even though i didnt like the series as whole there were parts i did like and that does effect the score. I liked Princess Lovers animation and the side characters which added to its over all score.

What i find funny is i remember around episode 3 or 4 i said it was going to end up having a harem or open end and lots of people told me i was wrong lol. well there ya go.
Old 2009-09-25, 09:04   Link #1799
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
What i find funny is i remember around episode 3 or 4 i said it was going to end up having a harem or open end and lots of people told me i was wrong lol. well there ya go.
Once it was clear they were going to Charlotte route, it was a harem end. She'd share the guy with no problems.

Jealous? Of an anime character? Me?

Hell yeah.
Old 2009-09-25, 09:24   Link #1800
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
and l guess charlotte gave teppei a happy ending infront of sylvie
Apart from Alfred's nice catch, that was the best part of the episode.

God i laughed so much at Alfred's nice catch.

Tags
comedy, ecchi, eroge, romance, seinen