Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-07-23, 03:59   Link #341
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezcentric
Warning: Very loooooong post coming up . Sorry about it .

Regarding the thoughtful discussion on Bocca's background, here is what I think might be an interesting possibility and also, to a certain extent, could explain why, as wao suggested, Bocca would seem to understand Sayoko's problems very well:

If various clues are considered, I think there's a fair chance that Bocca's brother, Nao, is a MU agent. Their family is well-to-do and he (Nao) is an excellent student. Typical of this trend are Hamasaki Keiko and
Spoiler:
The background of Toune and Miri was interesting (I think) because from what was shown, there was a fair chance that either one could have gone the other's path at the point where they met the "Girl with Red Hair". Their separation marked the point where their fates--and the distant roads lying ahead in their lives--were decided (sudeni erabareta tooi michi). Toune (well-to-do) theoretically could've ended up the MU agent. In any case, Miri ended up rich and successful as well. Eurgh... I'm digressing, but simply put, there seems to be a basic criteria to be a MU agent (well-to-do, honour student) and Nao would appear to fit it. We also did not see the agent in Bocca's hometown.

For those who have seen the later eisodes,
Spoiler:
Wait, WTF? Bocca has a brother? I so did not notice that. Dammit, dammit dammit that makes so much SENSE! I should rewatch the first few eps when I have time. I think I would find some interesting things if I did. Thank you so much for that....

==
About the whole thing of the Oblivion's Melody/Melody of Oblivion, that was what I was trying to grasp at but couldn't really explain. I think that was a very insightful theory; that MoO might be either a Melody people have forgotten, or a melody that causes people to be oblivious.
Right now I'm sure "oblivious" would describe the citizens well enough. So could it be that they've forgotten the Melody and are in this state, or are in this state because they heard the Melody?

Many hate the Melos Senshi because they lost the war of the 20th Century. I desparately want to know more details.
But what can we get from it from what we know?
-It happened in the 20th Century. What is the year now, though? How long ago was it exactly? I'm guessing Kurofune took part in it, he's max 38 years old I think...
-A lot of Melos Senshi took part. If they had a factory to produce Aiba-machines and there was so much development atking place, Melos Senshi must have been an essential front in the battle against Monsters. They were probably the only people who could fight. Melos Senshi are so rare now though. Did they really all die or something?
-I think the Melos Senshi could have won the war, but - I'm hypothesizing here - they live for the Melody, rather than listen to their own people. Perhaps in the end the Monsters proved to the people that the Melody was wrong. Perhaps the Melody is more evil than the monsters. And the Melos Senshi listened to the Melody instead of their own people?
-I STILL want to know why Chief V stopped the project. Why why why why why?

There's definite ambiguity in the "evilness" of the Monsters. While their attitude may smell of typical-villain ness, are they really all that evil?
And some may hate them for not being human, but how can you define that? Do you say they are not human because of the odd powers they have (turning people into stone, disappearing at will)? Then, would the Melos Senshi not be human as well? They can call upon powers to fire powerful arrows and use Meigen and all of that.

Also, I'm trying to see if there's any signifiance of Sayoko sitting in the Elan Vital's sidecar. Why does this machine have a sidecar in the first place? I"m sure it's not just convienence to fit the fact that Sayoko travels with Bocca. Perhaps it might be important because Sayoko is not a Melos Senshi, and yet she gets to ride an Aiba-machine? Sayoko is not a Melos Senshi, and yet she travels with one, when Melos Senshi are despised by the people...

EDIT: Another thing to think about is why the Melos Senshi can withstand the power of the Monsters. For example when Toune and Miri were in the forest, Toune knew that goign with the red-haired-girl was not a good thing to do, but Miri couldn't resist... Which is why, as pointed out earlier, Toune didn't get lured into the Monster Union even if she was more well off, while Miri did.
(Also in episode 13,
Spoiler:
)

EDIT2: And why have ANBU (along with AonE now?) released MoO#4 out of the blue? O_o I thought they'd have dropped it. Ah, whatever.

Last edited by wao; 2004-07-23 at 06:46.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 07:21   Link #342
Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
EDIT2: And why have ANBU (along with AonE now?) released MoO#4 out of the blue? O_o I thought they'd have dropped it. Ah, whatever.
I guess they started subbing it and want to at least and try to finish what they started... also, ANBU didn't have enough people to work on the subbing it so that is why AonE is helping now...
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 07:59   Link #343
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
There's definite ambiguity in the "evilness" of the Monsters. While their attitude may smell of typical-villain ness, are they really all that evil?
yup, and I think this is quite apparent in the last labyrinth island episode... where even Hol doesn't appear that "evil"...

Quote:
And some may hate them for not being human, but how can you define that? Do you say they are not human because of the odd powers they have (turning people into stone, disappearing at will)? Then, would the Melos Senshi not be human as well? They can call upon powers to fire powerful arrows and use Meigen and all of that.
well, the difference between melos warriors and monsters are that melos warriors don't eat human children... speaking of which, I kinda wonder if all monsters eat humans? I mean, so far only Hol/Minotaurus is seen eating humans, Medusa seems to like turning humans into stone and then doing... umm... things to those stone statues... Hecate seems to like bowling, and lying around doing nothing? Pan likes to play flute, Talos likes to... walk around?

Is that somehow related to the myths? I mean in the myth only Minotaur eat boys and maidens as human sacrifice, Medusa doesn't eat human (as far as I can recall), nor does Pan or Talos or Hecate... but it seems the very idea of monsters being evil is based on that they eat humans?
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 08:43   Link #344
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Ah...finally back from Aus.

Hmm...pardon me if I'm wrong but...

Spoiler:

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 09:56   Link #345
sparrow
spontaneous comedian

Send a message via ICQ to sparrow
more thinking if she'll ignore Bokka and don't shows up for him in the later episodes or will it be like the usual popping up anytime anywhere
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 12:54   Link #346
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Aaah...if anyone has the deathraw version of the 16th episode , please PM me!!

Old 2004-07-23, 13:01   Link #347
Ezcentric

Some thoughts on the intro arc, which could be all wrong... read at risk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie
Spoiler:
No, I don't mean that Nao was the agent during the introductory arc. Rather, I believe there's a possibility that he is being groomed to be a MU agent in Bocca's hometown. You're right in that the Mayor was the one who arranged for the sacrifice. One reason why I think that was the case is because the Monsters had no specific role for the town yet. It would seem that all towns controlled by the MU have a specific function to carry out, with the agent being the supervisor of operations (Power Elite). It is possible the "performance" of Bocca's hometown was still under review, so there is no agent and the Mayor is tasked with "making the bid" so to say. This would also explain why Bocca's hometown only needs to offer a sacrifice once every 4 years (relatively low compared to other places, I think). We might also see the Sensei's actions as a means of putting himself in line for the MU agent job in town, if it gets selected for some purpose.

In fact, I think the sacrifice of K (Kei) might even be some kind of a test for the town--if I'm not wrong, K was caught and stored for 4-5 years before Hol got to him. This could suggest a certain inexperience in dealing with sacrifices or it could just mean Hol likes his specified child young and fresh (assuming K does not age in that "magic box") .

Why would they want to be selected as MU territory?
It would seem that all MU territories benefit greatly, namely in terms of $$$.

I think the whole introduction arc is quite interesting when you think about it in hindsight. I won't be surprised if they return to Bocca's hometown at the end for some sort of wrap-up. They can then have another cryptic title like "The Beginning is the End" or something .
Ezcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 17:45   Link #348
GUTB_

I think the show should stop pretending the Agents matter...they are just too weak.

This show is very uneven. It tries to be a clever critisism of modern society, and sometimes it actually succeeds.
GUTB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 21:54   Link #349
wao
OK.

If I'm not wrong, what very little I got from reading 3 pages of the 4th book of manga,
Spoiler:

Ah, and ep 12 is out. Thank you Rice-box! Cannot wait for 13 and 14 which are IMO the best episodes out of the lot.

I think the Monster Agents are hilariously useless as well, but perhaps this stems from them overrelying on their machines so much, and not actually being very strong themselves. I don't think they have enough will to match up with Bocca's.

We'll wait and see what the monsters will do. They can't be that evil...
I wonder what the meaning of episode 17's title, 天使もなくて持つ翼 (I hope I got that right - Tenshi mo nakute motsu tsubasa). Even though ____ is not an angel, _____ has wings or something like that. No subject as usual...
(thanks, katsuragi!)

EDIT: evil|plushie, check your PMs already!

EDIT2: Okay... After watching #16 subbed in Chinese, I suppose I do kind of begin to understand Sayoko's problems...
Spoiler:

Plus, there's an important question I want to ask regarding Sayoko's name...
Spoiler for Ep 16:

By the way, for anyone who's watched ep 13, you know when
Spoiler:
- the music played during these parts doesn't seem to be on a track on the soundtrack. Does anyone know if it really isn't there because I'm really quite blur... I think this music has been played before but I can't remember where.

Last edited by wao; 2004-07-24 at 10:55.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 07:56   Link #350
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Hmmm

Spoiler:

Hmm, I just watched ep 12 and 16. After watching 16 and THAT Coca and Bocca scene, all I have to say is 'woah...Woah!' o.O Way to go Coco -_-. That scene was just a H doujin waiting to happen.

Coco seems older than 17 though, or maybe it's just me. I think she's just small for her age.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this, but the latest Newtype has an article on MoO. Quite a crappy one though. But that's just because I don't quite agree with what it says and it makes no mention of the plot of the show at all -_-

Old 2004-07-24, 09:17   Link #351
katsuragi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
I wonder what the meaning of episode 16's title, 天使もなくて持つ翼 (I hope I got that right - Tenshi mo nakute motsu tsubasa). Even though ____ is not an angel, _____ has wings or something like that.
yeah... that's correct... ( u mean ep17 )
ahh...... ep16 was so awesome T_T
what I can remember from ep16 is an apple box only ......lol
Bokka u lucky b@stard...
katsuragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 11:08   Link #352
wao
OK.

Geebus, what is wrong with me always wrongly numbering eps? First I thoguht ep 14 was 15, now I think ep 17 is 16. Ugh.

I have no idea why Coco is so sudden in ep 16... I still feel sorry for Bocca :P I think I'd be shocked and scared out of my wits if Coco just... did... that. Gah. I'm surprised nobody noticed the box moving around so much, though...

And evil|plushie, regarding that spoiler - ooh! Angst!
Old 2004-07-24, 11:22   Link #353
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

I think anybody'd be shocked -_- but I'm not sure how many could resist it.

Spoiler:

Old 2004-07-24, 15:31   Link #354
Chrno-Evil

aaah Bocca is very lucky >_<

and Coco is.......
what happened to her lol

Bocca was very shocked ^^"

and what was that banana ??!! lol (if you know what i mean )
(at 9:47)
Chrno-Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 18:48   Link #355
wao
OK.

Yeah. You know, up til now, I STILL don't get that bloody banana. Is it supposed to be a sexual reference (O_O;;;...) or uh.... well I just do not know.

The Melody's expression just before they cut away is pretty cute though :3 She looks slightly annoyed. Eh?
Old 2004-07-24, 21:06   Link #356
kero

Tora Tora Tora

just a quick side note, there's a film called 'Tora, tora, tora' and apparently is was the code word to initiate the attack on Pearl Harbour,

also

Tora , sounds very similar to Torro, which is Spanish for Bull, so maybe that's why the bull and the tiger were put together
kero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 21:15   Link #357
wao
OK.

Wait in episode 16... I'm sure many of you noticed the ship's name was
Spoiler:
Old 2004-07-24, 23:50   Link #358
katsuragi

hmm.... 2 comments !

kero>
i don't think that 'tora' in this anime meant something special (like spanish's torro or 'tora x3' the movie about pearl harbor - actually it's dora) but a tiger (global yamaneco)
bull(cow) was mentioned w/ 'UshiTora'(Bull Tiger) ship in ep12~14

I think Coco likes Bocca since she saw him, and expressed her feeling in ep16 (err....that was excessive, kinda?) Think about Coco in ep9~10, she said 'kawaii' to Bocca and tried to sneak into factory with him instead of her Unicorns (well, Hikari was in their group too, but still !) I don't think that Coco changed or behaved unlike her... she likes Bocca =/

ahhhhhhh..... Coco X_X no!!!
katsuragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-25, 01:14   Link #359
Ezcentric

By the way, I really enjoyed this long-running joke in the recent episodes...

Ep. 9-12 spoilers:
Spoiler:

As for the OST, I really like the song "Aozora" because the part where they used it in the anime is one of my favourite parts. It's at the end of episode 5 when Bocca was struggling with his decision to be a Melos Warrior. I just thought the music provided the perfect mood for what he was saying to himself.

I think there'll probably be an OST 2 because I don't remember hearing the opening song of the "Labyrinth Island" arc in the soundtrack. It's really quite cute and on hindsight, it sets up the ending of that particular arc very well. Quite remarkable if you think about it.
Ezcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-25, 01:34   Link #360
wao
OK.

Yes, I think a number of songs on the OST may be nothign so special when listened to on its own, but make excellent BGMs. Cyber Disturbance and Aozora come to mind very quickly... I also really liked the part where they played Aozora (It's one of the main scenes that made me decide to stick to this anime.) Some others would be Combinato Ostinato, Yuukeru Yami Rensa Suru Joudou, and maybe Missing You.

I think there might be an OST 2 as well. That's absolutely spiffy because it might mean we'll get even MORE new music later :O (Some of the tracks in OST 1 I haven't even heard in the show yet, like A Hard Battle's Night... Or maybe it played and I never heard it? Same for Frigian Koko and Toumei na Mori Koe no Shoukei, as well as Memories of February Leaves, A Last War, even Tears in the Dam [not so sure, I think it must have been played...])

Wheeeee~ 2 more days to the next episode. Is it going to be more <3 stuff?! Ah, probably.
If we're going by the zodiac cycle I wonder how many more Monster Agents we'll see then? About ah.... 2? 3? There's still 9 episodes to go... and there is I think much more in the manga, at least basing on what I'm assuming from what evil|plushie said so far...