Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-07-23, 19:53   Link #221
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Tongue View Post
if youre still talking about posting on message boards, youre missing my point: internet message boards
What you're saying is that an internet message forum - which is filled with relatively trivial chatter and ultimately won't mean a thing to your life - is undeserving of the time it takes to ensure proper compliance with spelling and grammar. It's incomparable with something like a printed publication that impacts your professional career. Is that more or less what you mean?

If so, I fully agree with you. However, if you're even capable of spelling somewhat properly, and if you know the grammar rules, why not use them? Maybe I'm insensitive because for me my baseline limit (typing off the top of my head) is "so good" (if that's the case) while it may be harder for others, but... I just don't see how it can be harder, especially as you practice and make a lot of forum posts. Yet for many people it seems like they're intentionally typing like they're illiterate.

As I said before, you don't need to proofread your forum posts - this isn't a work you're submitting for publication, of course. Just put a bit of effort into making sure that things flow even somewhat smoothly. I really don't see how someone capable of writing a publication-worthy work would be capable of writing some shoddy sentences unless they were incredibly lazy. Then again, I've seen a number of emails from "highly educated individuals" with zero capitalization and punctuation... it's a mystery to me.
Old 2009-07-23, 20:46   Link #222
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
It's nearly impossible for me to type with improper grammar, punctuation and spelling. It's so ingrained into my consciousness that it is actually faster for me to type correctly than to type wrongly.

On a different note, I am criticized constantly for the method in which I type--I never learned how to type "properly" and I now touch-type with a total of four fingers: thumb, index and middle on the left hand, and index only on the right hand.

People get onto me about it all the time, but my wrists aren't moving; the arm pivots at the elbow. I'm less likely to get carpal tunnel from typing this way, and I can type on smaller keyboards (like this netbook keyboard for instance) for much, much longer without fatigue. Friends of mine hate using my lappy, because the keyboard is so small. But it's no big deal for me, and I type on it as well as I do a full-size, if not better and faster (due to shorter travel distances).
Old 2009-07-23, 21:03   Link #223
otakujohn

I is guud spellar, lulz.
otakujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 00:39   Link #224
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's nearly impossible for me to type with improper grammar, punctuation and spelling. It's so ingrained into my consciousness that it is actually faster for me to type correctly than to type wrongly.
That's pretty much exactly the same for me.

I mean, conversational language, sure, seeing as there are loads of little nitpicky grammar rules out there that not a lot of people care about and more importantly don't really affect your clarity. But simple formatting, like using a capital letter to start a sentence? Ending a sentence with a punctuation mark? Fully spelling out the word that you've abbreviated by all of two letters?

It's honestly not that much effort and once you're in the habit it becomes easier to type properly than not, and it makes the post just so much easier to read.
Old 2009-07-24, 01:25   Link #225
Lio
Presence

^ Yep

I enjoy good writing, but that's just me. Who cares about how other people type? Oh yeah, those people who get a false sense of superiority by aggressively bashing how other people type. Well, fuck 'em. It's a stupid thing to do and they're stupid people for doing it.

If some people are hard to understand because of their writing style, I just tell them so. They usually get it.
Lio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 02:05   Link #226
BanishingBook

I agree, and especially when the same people who criticize you won't give you some slack for your mistakes, while they'd give themselves a pat on the back for their own mistakes.

Pfft perfectionists - just the type the world needs.
BanishingBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 02:33   Link #227
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Friends of mine hate using my lappy, because the keyboard is so small. But it's no big deal for me, and I type on it as well as I do a full-size, if not better and faster (due to shorter travel distances).
I've been using my laptop for around 2 years now and I'm used to button sensitivity and the distance between the keys, which is shorter than that of your average keyboard. Now I can't type normally anywhere else and nobody wants to use mine either
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 19:43   Link #228
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
What you're saying is that an internet message forum - which is filled with relatively trivial chatter and ultimately won't mean a thing to your life - is undeserving of the time it takes to ensure proper compliance with spelling and grammar. It's incomparable with something like a printed publication that impacts your professional career. Is that more or less what you mean?
this is exactly what i mean. dont agree with the rest of your post though, boards is boards and im a busy man
Cut-Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 07:27   Link #229
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

I find it difficult to accept that someone, knowing how to spell and use punctuation properly, would even be able to let the rules slide while typing on an internet forum. Maybe they've got a point for instant messaging, where often one hits <enter> before pausing to read what's been written. But on a forum? I can't help but go over what I've just typed before posting. Checking my writing for spelling, punctuation, grammar, and narrative coherence is almost on the level of an autonomic reflex. It's hard for me to believe that anyone who wants to be understood would do otherwise, especially being aware of what passes as well-formed English prose.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 09:21   Link #230
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

I don't mind not being correct all the time, as usually I am not. But when it gets annoying to the point where the words are spelt so badly that you cannot read them its criticism time.

Not forgetting this is the internet where 'u' and 'lol' and such are used often can you call that proper typing, I think not. But it is natural to type in this way as you might in an IM conversation, one adapts to this typing style. As long as everyone can read what you have typed then it's okay, I guess!

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 09:36   Link #231
Explicit
Jag föstår

Send a message via MSN to Explicit
Not at all, since I criticize the way other people type all of the time. I'm not saying that I'm perfect though.
Explicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-02, 23:32   Link #232
Hijiroku
Heil Mein Fuhrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
I find it difficult to accept that someone, knowing how to spell and use punctuation properly, would even be able to let the rules slide while typing on an internet forum. Maybe they've got a point for instant messaging, where often one hits <enter> before pausing to read what's been written. But on a forum? I can't help but go over what I've just typed before posting. Checking my writing for spelling, punctuation, grammar, and narrative coherence is almost on the level of an autonomic reflex. It's hard for me to believe that anyone who wants to be understood would do otherwise, especially being aware of what passes as well-formed English prose.
Most of my bad typing is built out of my love for gaming, namely Counter strike. When I used to play it I would rarely have a microphone, so I had to type really fast to make up for it and talk in shorter sentences.

I also love to troll people by using bad grammar so its a habit.
But on forums I try to use at least a little bit of grammar if possible.
__________________________________________________ ___

Like someone said on the first page of this thread, I hate people who bring "gangster talk" onto the Internet. That is something that pisses me off more then anything.
__________________________________________________ ___

On-Topic: I don't mind it at all cause, because I usually pick at the way they fail to capitalize, when they point out that I'm not using "proper" grammar.
Hijiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 07:55   Link #233
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
When you post about something, you have make a very good point that has plenty to justify it. But if the post is written in horrible grammar, nobody's going to understand it and it gives the impression that whoever's posting it hasn't given it a lot of thought in the first place. Because it's hard to read, it's hard to understand. But that's not something that bothers me too much because for one thing, it's rare and secondly, when it does happen, it's not so bad that it's absolutely impossible to read. Best this to do is ask again if you don't understand.

There has only ever been one time where I was endlessly annoyed with someone's posting style. This guy would reply to you after reading one sentence of your post. Then, he reads the rest of it and edits his post. He reads some more of it and edits again. When he first posts, it really does give the impression that he hasn't read your post at all except for the first sentence. Now that gives the impression he's ignoring you completely and it can be disgustingly annoying.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 08:01   Link #234
IntoTheAbyss

i h8 teh ppl woo cant psell
But I hate the people who overdo it too (The ones who put too many commas and in wrong places.)

All in all, you should type like I do or there will be consequences.
IntoTheAbyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 08:14   Link #235
katiemirmo
Chrome.o23
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to katiemirmo
Well really, it is not annoying in the sense, if you can still understand what he or she is saying.
Some people do have spelling/grammar issues because English may not be their first language..
katiemirmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 08:42   Link #236
IntoTheAbyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemirmo View Post
Some people do have spelling/grammar issues because English may not be their first language..
It's not my first language but I can spell it well enough can't I? Most often it's the american kids who are too lazy to type the complete words. "To" becomes "2" (which I find interesting because typing "to" takes much less time for me than thinking all the alternative ways I could spell it but anyway) etc.
IntoTheAbyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 08:45   Link #237
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheAbyss View Post
It's not my first language but I can spell it well enough can't I? Most often it's the american kids who are too lazy to type the complete words. "To" becomes "2" (which I find interesting because typing "to" takes much less time for me than thinking all the alternative ways I could spell it but anyway) etc.
I've noticed how native English speakers speak English worse than people whose native language isn't English. Myself included.
Old 2009-11-07, 08:57   Link #238
katiemirmo
Chrome.o23
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to katiemirmo
well then I take it back!
I know that the Americans mostly are too lazy enough to type little words i.e. to-2.
They somehow abuse their own language (I mean no offense to the Americans..)
katiemirmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 09:03   Link #239
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

It's not just them. I heard this a while back that GCSE programs in the UK (General Certificate of Secondary Education, similar to junior high school) are starting to allow l33t speech in their exam papers. For example, the sentence "To be or not to be" can be written as "2b or not 2b" for starters. It's pretty embarassing but it shows that in the UK, you're having similar problems. They're still not as common as they are in the US though.
Old 2009-11-07, 09:14   Link #240
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
It's not just them. I heard this a while back that GCSE programs in the UK (General Certificate of Secondary Education, similar to junior high school) are starting to allow l33t speech in their exam papers. For example, the sentence "To be or not to be" can be written as "2b or not 2b" for starters. It's pretty embarassing but it shows that in the UK, you're having similar problems. They're still not as common as they are in the US though.
Well all the teachers I've had get really annoyed when they see chat speak.
It also shows that not only they're lazy but the person can't spell correctly.

... Yeah we're THAT stupid >.>

Chaho-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote