AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-15, 10:43   Link #21
npcomplete

but hey, that stuff targeted to 14 yo's

anyways, I'd suggest just sticking with the Miyazaki stuff and most of the above. If it's stuff to buy then that rules out fansubs. With regards to R.O.D., it's a great show, but your parents might at Nancy...

Other good ones are Kaleido Star and Princess Tutu.

Last edited by npcomplete; 2009-11-15 at 11:03.
Old 2009-11-15, 12:44   Link #22
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, but Kamichu would be just perfect I think.
Old 2009-11-15, 12:45   Link #23
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Are you kidding? It got glorification of non-christian gods!!
Old 2009-11-15, 13:16   Link #24
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Are you kidding? It got glorification of non-christian gods!!
Hey, don't taze me, Bro - OP didn't say anything about the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 2009-11-15, 13:21   Link #25
Ansalem
Speaker

Viewers should be aware Proto is not parental-safe due to overwhelming snark.
Old 2009-11-15, 15:49   Link #26
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anju-chan View Post
Well, it's kinda both. I mean, I would like something my parents would approve of, and, at the same time, have something where if my dad suddenly says that he wants to watch it I won't have a panic attack (or be banned from anime until I'm 18).

Yeah, sex, nudity, and fanservice are the big no-no's. Violence is fine.
And, to be clearer, I'm looking for an anime that I, at 14, can watch without being sentenced to Japanese Dora.
My dad does extensive research on any anime I try to buy, and my mother watches it to check to see if it's appropriate.
I would say that Crest of The Stars is a very safe bet then. It's about low PG material. Never seen the Dub, but heard it was pretty poor. Very good story and material though. It's one of the anime I gave a 10 too, and I think it'd be worth watching in Japanese if you find you don't like the dub. (Very good chance of impressing the parents with it as a "good" anime).

Fullmetal Alchemist (Either version) has no sex, nudity or fanservice that I can think of. Would probably pass muster. Although the violence is very dark and mature. PG-13 material for sure. (Good dub)

Starblazers would pass muster (if you get the English version which edited out all the fanservice- they played it on broadcast TV Saturday morning cartoons back in the 80s.) Of course, you might not like the old animation style.

Read or Die, I went to see what reviews there are of it. And I'd forgotten some of the stuff in it. Nothing big.. about PG-13 material- think a PG-13 Bond movie. Still that's probably on the edge of the envelope, so you might not want to pick it. (Good Dub)

Cross Game would be perfect, except that there's no dub, and not likely to be any anytime soon. If any show can convert a parent to the goodness of anime and make them less suspicious, this is it.

There are some others but....

Soul Eater has several fanservice shots (mainly bathing scenes) in the first three episodes. Otherwise it'd be okay.

Full Metal Panic! would be good, except for a completely gratuitous panty shot in... the first or second episode I think. Stupid Gonzo adding in something not needed.

Ah My Goddess if you want a romance... there is the bathing suit competition and Urd makes off color jokes pretty often. A lot depends on perception.

Chrono Crusade is pretty clean... although there are some boob jokes if I remember right.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya isn't that bad... except for the bunny girl outfits, and the groping incident in the second episode. Usually I find if I explain that Haruhi is the villain not the heroine (amazing how many miss that fact) that most people aren't too put out by it. But for you it's probably on the edge.

Hmmm.... I'm trying to remember but I don't think there is any fanservice in Chrome Shelled Regios beyond the swimming pool episode (and the girls wear rather modest bathing suits I think). I guess there is the episode when Felli gets a job as a waitress and plenty of attention is paid to her maid "outfit". Oh.... yeah I forgot, that idiot Queen person keeps groping Leerin for some unknown reason. Dang, that probably rules it out.

I guess you could always go with the edited version of DragonBall Z....

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Closed Thread

Tags
girls, preteens