AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-10, 21:08   Link #1021
Nosauz

I really don't get why Cowboy bebop is getting knocked for it's episodic first half. The whole point of them being bounty hunters is so that the story telling isn't restricted to a linear format like most anime's/manga. It allows for the characters to be explored in a way that isn't the norm, and lets not forget that episodic doesn't mean bad, although in anime it generally does because most anime aren't ordered perseason since their usaully based off another source but episodic really doesn't mean it's bad. I'm not gonna sift through 50+ pages of this thread but again overrated is a subjective term based on what we consider important. I'll say this right now, that crisp animation, music and seiyu work are really important to me ontop of characterizations and plot but if say the music was complete garbage i'd probably knock the entire series because to me in animation the ambience created by ost/character songs/op/ed are crucial to immersion, whereas slow animation upto a certain degree can be forgiven. Also for people who just enjoy a show that easy to hop in and out will have more appeal, and considering overrated is one's opinions based on anothers opinions then there really will never be an overall consensus because we are individuals.

sorry for the wall of text.
Old 2009-12-10, 22:38   Link #1022
hinakatbklyn

(1) evangelion: I went through the entire series, but I didn't keep it (save space) (maybe I wasn't intelligent enough)
(2) Lucky Star: I never got past 10 minutes of the first episode. Maybe I had a suspicion that was the entire series, all dialogue.
(3) Suzumiya Haruhi: No problems with the first set of episodes. Good thing I didn't get into the second set of episodes

I better not be the only one to bring this series up:

(4) Rozen Maiden: Very cute series and cute characters, but I couldn't catch on after 4 episodes. Maybe not enough action.
Old 2009-12-10, 23:51   Link #1023
Envy
Band Nerd ♥
*Graphic Designer

It's hard to say, but I think it's safe to say that these series are overrated.

- Naruto (Goes without saying.)
- FLCL
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (Even though I loved the anime.)
- Bleach
- Code Geass

Then again Naruto and Bleach may not deserve to be on the list... Even though you got a ton of over the top fans of those series you also have a ton of people who hate them even though they've never even see a second of them. So with Naruto and Bleach you have a balance of over the top fans and irrational haters.

EDIT: By the way these are what I believe to be the most overrated that I've seen. Not quite in general, since I haven't seen too many anime.

“The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.”

Last edited by Envy; 2009-12-11 at 00:33.
Old 2009-12-11, 01:21   Link #1024
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
It's hard to say, but I think it's safe to say that these series are overrated.

- Naruto (Goes without saying.)
- FLCL
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (Even though I loved the anime.)
- Bleach
- Code Geass

Then again Naruto and Bleach may not deserve to be on the list... Even though you got a ton of over the top fans of those series you also have a ton of people who hate them even though they've never even see a second of them. So with Naruto and Bleach you have a balance of over the top fans and irrational haters.

EDIT: By the way these are what I believe to be the most overrated that I've seen. Not quite in general, since I haven't seen too many anime.
For series that are supposedly overrated, there are sure a lot of poeple here calling them overrated .

Also please make a distinction between a series being popular (As in a lot of people enjoy it) and a series actually being considered one of the best by a lot of people. As far as I know, Naruto is a popular series, but from what I know, it surely isn't considered by tje majority of the anime community to be one of the best of the decade.
Old 2009-12-11, 01:41   Link #1025
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Ouran Host High School Club - just plain bad
Claymore - too many useless and whiney characters plus couldnt really stand the lead
Naruto - too much hype and didnt really deliver to what i was expecting of it
Cross Game - not a fan of the animation plus baseball has to be most boring sport ever
Lucky Star - Couldnt stand the animation/Story
Old 2009-12-11, 01:44   Link #1026
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Coast View Post
Claymore - too many useless and whiney characters plus couldnt really stand the lead
Cross Game - not a fan of the animation plus baseball has to be most boring sport ever
I'm just going to point out that there really isn't any hype around cross game, the only people who are excited about cross game are adachi fans, and to be honest, it is the pinnacle of his writing, as an animation adaptation it's amazing. Shrug because it has to do with baseball doesn't really make it overrated
Old 2009-12-11, 01:57   Link #1027
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
I'm just going to point out that there really isn't any hype around cross game, the only people who are excited about cross game are adachi fans, and to be honest, it is the pinnacle of his writing, as an animation adaptation it's amazing. Shrug because it has to do with baseball doesn't really make it overrated
im just saying it doesnt float my boat. i also said it was overrated because alot of people i know always tell me how good it is but i just cant get into it
Old 2009-12-11, 01:59   Link #1028
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I agree with Nosauz on Cross Game.

Don't mistake a passionate Anime Suki fanbase for wider internet-spanning hype.

There are many anime that are highly regarded by multiple posters here on Anime Suki that are not talked about all that much (relative to, say, the top KyoAni titles or Code Geass or Death Note or the big shounen titles) through out the internet as a whole.

From what I've seen so far of it, Cross Game looks pretty good.

I think that with Cross Game, the story is not about baseball so much as baseball is simply the medium or prism used to tell relationship stories through. That being said, baseball is an important part of Cross Game, and I can understand people who don't like baseball not liking Cross Game.

Thankfully, baseball is my 2nd or 3rd favorite sport, so I can appreciate it.
Old 2009-12-11, 02:29   Link #1029
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I agree with Nosauz on Cross Game.

Don't mistake a passionate Anime Suki fanbase for wider internet-spanning hype.

There are many anime that are highly regarded by multiple posters here on Anime Suki that are not talked about all that much (relative to, say, the top KyoAni titles or Code Geass or Death Note or the big shounen titles) through out the internet as a whole.

From what I've seen so far of it, Cross Game looks pretty good.

I think that with Cross Game, the story is not about baseball so much as baseball is simply the medium or prism used to tell relationship stories through. That being said, baseball is an important part of Cross Game, and I can understand people who don't like baseball not liking Cross Game.

Thankfully, baseball is my 2nd or 3rd favorite sport, so I can appreciate it.
ok fair call. then i change my list to

Inuyasha - not a fan of the story and it pisses me off that they are wasting more money on this with a new season and yet there are way more deserving animes that should be getting more seasons
Old 2009-12-11, 03:01   Link #1030
Albafica
Pisces no saint

My top 5:

1. Tengen toppa Gurren Lagann
2. Suzumiya Haruhi
3. Kanon 2006
4. Code Geass
5. Elfen Lied
Old 2009-12-11, 03:17   Link #1031
ginytah

note the following series are at least in my top 10 favorite list, but I still think they're overrated

K-on = I really enjoyed this show, but it's definitely overrated, too much moe not so much plot
TTGL= awesome show I loved it, pretty epic fight and awesome characters, but the first 13 episodes were boring as hell, I won't say this is one of the best shows ever.
Code geass= I really liked this show but it doesn't have the best plot nor the best character design ever, it's not that perfect.
Haruhi suzumiya 2= the novels can be great but the overload of fanservice in the second season ruined it for me, bad direction, I would say.

anime I don't love but I think is overrated

Bakemonogatari= too wordy, I mean, so many useless speech!, fanservice characters, the romance looks ,somehow, poorly developed, but that's just my opinion, I think that's matter of tastes. I don't think the show is bad but is definitely overrated
Old 2009-12-11, 03:53   Link #1032
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
For series that are supposedly overrated, there are sure a lot of poeple here calling them overrated .

Also please make a distinction between a series being popular (As in a lot of people enjoy it) and a series actually being considered one of the best by a lot of people. As far as I know, Naruto is a popular series, but from what I know, it surely isn't considered by tje majority of the anime community to be one of the best of the decade.
look actually Naruto up to I would say end of rescue sasuke arc was amazing, the animation, the voice work, the music all lead to a great fluid and somewhat visceral experience not seen in many shounen. Based on the merit built by the first year and a half of the anime it really was well done, but when the quality dropped it as a whole became over hyped. Now if you only took the best of naruto it would be a quite lengthy series that is really good, did it level up the genre? No, but it really maximized the medium but alas all good things don't last. I do claim that beginning naruto really was the pinnacle of shounen animation, but in it's current state it is overrated because all of us viewers have these rosy feelings toward earlier arcs.
Old 2009-12-11, 03:55   Link #1033
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I think I'm going to piss off quite a few people with this post, especially my first pick.

1. Air: Because for all the hype about how sad it is, it didn't move me the same way Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu did. Actually, I have to admit I've never understood the hype that shows based on Key's games get in comparison to other excellent romance titles like EF, Iriya, True Tears, or Hanbun no Tsuki, but I at least really got into Kanon and Clannad when I was watching them. I didn't get into Air.
2. Akagi: I'll admit this one may have a lot to do with me not understanding the rules of mahjong... but this anime is essentially what proved to me that over the top awesome style can't sustain a show for more than a few episodes.
3. Gunbuster: It's not bad, but I never really managed any enthusiasm for it.
4. Fate/Stay Night: Same as Gunbuster, basically.
5. Ouran High School Host Club: From the few episodes I saw, I didn't find it anywhere near as funny as something like School Rumble.

Code Geass, Lucky Star and K-On were all considered for this list due to the worship they get from their fanbases, but I decided not to include them because I enjoyed these shows more than the rest of the list. Unlike many I have trouble perceiving Haruhi as overhyped simply because I remember when the show wasn't known by everyone and their mother in the anime fandom. I'm aware that to many it may have looked like the show went from unknown to the biggest show on the net overnight, but I remember there being a transition period.

Edit: surprised to see Bakemonogatari only got one vote in the last few pages. Usually anything that gets banded about as a series of the year generates a pretty significant chorus of "overrated". Maybe it's the fact that fans don't seem to have gotten behind a lot of 2009's other shows - even the good ones - for some reason. The detractors don't have a show to rally around.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0; 2009-12-11 at 04:12.
Old 2009-12-11, 06:40   Link #1034
Satomi87
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppius View Post
Any shoujo that aimed towards older girls(15 and up) like Ouran and Skip Beat are overrated trash.
There is no better explanation than this one....
Old 2009-12-11, 13:48   Link #1035
Envy
Band Nerd ♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post

The thing is, is that Naruto is a mainstream anime, and even though it is disliked by quite a bit of the anime community a lot of people outside of it love it and think that it is the best thing ever.

“The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.”
Old 2009-12-11, 14:21   Link #1036
IronFox
The "Paint Pirate" Yar!

1. Lucky Star
2. Naruto
3. Bleach
4. One Piece
5. Death Note

And most of the stuff shown on cartoon network or that has been americanized
Old 2009-12-11, 18:37   Link #1037
Oppius
Banned

Forget all newer shows and I went to old-school show like Akira. Just look how critics loved Akira. Of course their reviews was written long time ago, when internet fansub still not a major trend.
Old 2009-12-13, 14:25   Link #1038
Aqua Knight

Code Geass, obviously.
When you watch it for the first time, it's great but after you realize that character design,music and the plot actually weren't as good as other series.
Old 2009-12-13, 16:32   Link #1039
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Quote:
Any shoujo that aimed towards older girls(15 and up) like Ouran and Skip Beat are overrated trash.

What's with all the Ouran Host Club hate? I won't argue that it's overrated but there's really nothing "bad" on the directing or production. Don't expect to not get commented on when you call a well-done series "trash" for no good reason because there's nothing "trashy" about it. Want a trashy anime? Watch Kanokon or Girls Bravo. Lol trash at its trashiest. that's not a word

Quote:
Forget all newer shows and I went to old-school show like Akira.
Hur...I always did loathe Akira. Too trippy and too....gross and disturbing.
Old 2010-01-13, 20:35   Link #1040
Socke
Banned

Any "blockbuster" shows like Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop and Akira which already available in video before internet fansubbing. Just look how critics rated them like crazy for these shows in their sites.
Closed Thread