Notices

Old 2010-01-04, 13:58   Link #21
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
To be brutally honest, I get way, way more flak from other anime fans for the kinds of shows I watch than I do from normal people for watching anime. I attribute this to the fact I actually keep a pretty low profile about my geek hobbies outside of geek social circles.
I'm actually agreeing with this pretty strongly; I get into way more "series n sucks" arguments with other anime/gaming/fantasy/sci-fi/etc fans than I get into with ordinary non-nerds.
Old 2010-01-04, 14:11   Link #22
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

I never really pay much attention to them online. I usually just laugh and ignore them. If I'm feeling sinister or sadistic, I'll give them a few nudges in the right direction until they succeed in utterly humiliating themselves (it's one of my hidden talents). Most of the time I'm not that bored, though it is good sport.

The one time it actually bugged me was when it was in real life. I was in the bookstore looking over their manga shelves, and two people behind me were making rather disparaging remarks about how "those must be for people who are too stupid to read real books." I didn't mind it too much personally, but I thought it was a rather ignorant attitude for someone in a bookstore ("read what I read or you're wrong"). I considered bludgeoning them with my vocabulary, but after giving them a second glance, I figured they were so ill-equipped for such a confrontation that they wouldn't grasp half of what I had to say.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 19:54   Link #23
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Location: Living on a remote island somewhere in the South Pacific
This reminds me of one time when I was serving National Service. I was working the night shift and talking to some friends about anime when this guy heard us and decided to join in. He then started telling us his opinions on anime and said that its unrealistic and saying how anime is no different from normal cartoons and I suddenly cut him off by saying "This discussion is for anime fans. Non-anime fans, discuss outside the guardroom." and pointed out the door. And he shut up. He just shut up and never said anything for the rest of the night. And since I'm a bastard, I put him on carpark duty the next morning! XD
KongZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 20:35   Link #24
Slice of Life
eyewitness

And I suppose now he has an opinion about otaku too ... Congratulations?
Old 2010-01-04, 20:40   Link #25
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Location: Living on a remote island somewhere in the South Pacific
LOL, that happened in 2007! But I did apologize to him when I bumped into him and he said he was cool with it and he did admit that he was being to blunt with his opinions. Besides, there are a whole lot other interests the both of us share besides anime.
KongZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 23:02   Link #26
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Maybe I should take a leaf out of your book...

"This discussion is for anime fans. Non-anime fans/neutrals, discuss 1 yard away. Anime haters, discuss 500 miles away or more."... I'm kidding...
Old 2010-01-04, 23:35   Link #27
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Like most trolls, insulting you is just a brief moment of validation before they go back to their pitiful lives. Just let them have their moment in life; it's gonna be one of a few.

And don't read youtube comments. Prolonged exposure may result in decreased IQ, headaches, and death.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 00:16   Link #28
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Yeah... I shouldn't have read it... now it feels like I wasted seconds of my life reading their hateful comments....
Old 2010-01-05, 01:26   Link #29
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I usually try and persuade the haters into giving a specific show a chance. But when I do they just throwout a bunch of negative stereotypes about anime and fans.

Yay for being close minded!
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 02:11   Link #30
QED
Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Send a message via AIM to QED
One of my friends who was incredibly skeptical about anime once wanted me to watch Dexter (strange show on Showtime). I told him that I'd watch it if he sat through two episodes of anime.

I never watched Dexter after that episode, but he finished the series on his own (all 37 episodes) within the next week. Win one for anime fans everywhere =).

I generally find that this only works if it's a friend and they trust your opinion. But why would you even care about what random anti-anime crusaders think anyways?

(PS: The anime I showed my friend was Deathnote. Admittedly, not on my favorites list, but a pretty mainstreamy series that I think appeals more to a Western audience than other anime series. I've also pulled this off with FMA.)
QED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 03:23   Link #31
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Well, I consider skepiticism and people who merely think of anime fans as weird as different from haters. I had two guys who I used to play PC games with over my home network in high school, and both were pretty skeptical of the medium. One I only got into it because he was bored one summer and decided he'd chance it. The other still thinks its weird and we don't talk about it much.

Although I did have one amusing incident at a LAN party a few years back where I had a catgirl as my desktop wallpaper. Partway through the LAN, the skeptical friend sees my desktop and says "Oh my God. Dude, don't you ever having gaming related desktops?" At which point I snickered and whispered to another friend "Technically it is gaming related". Because while I had never played the H game the picture was from and just figured the art was pretty... it was from a game nonetheless.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 05:14   Link #32
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by QED View Post
I never watched Dexter after that episode, but he finished the series on his own (all 37 episodes) within the next week. Win one for anime fans everywhere =).
No, that's your loss; Dexter is awesome.
Old 2010-01-05, 05:37   Link #33
Xion Valkyrie

I've been lucky to meet a lot of people who are either indifferent to anime or are anime lovers themselves, so I haven't ran into this situation yet.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 12:59   Link #34
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Most trollers I know watch anime themselves, so they make better trols with their own knowledge. It's all about being bored.
Yes I've come across people not understanding anime, but people who do not understand are not necessarily labled as "haters" as long as they don't say rude things and are capable of having a civil conversation about the topic I wouldn't call them haters.
However there are also anime haters among anime fans, there are so many different kinds of haters that you can deal with differently, though the most common one is ignore. You can hate certain anime fans (that follow a genre, series) or an anime thing itself like echii etc. we all have a little anime hate inside us all
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 13:27   Link #35
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Most of this hating is because people think that anime fans = weeaboos, which is entirely not true. It's all about stereotyping and prejudice. This can also apply to everything like racism. Prejudice is just another form of close mind thought.

So don't be close minded... it doesn't really help that much in life.
Old 2010-01-05, 18:24   Link #36
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
No, that's your loss; Dexter is awesome.
QFT; one of the best shows on television these days!

He really ought to go watch Dexter from start to finish...
Old 2010-01-05, 19:05   Link #37
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

if you can educate enlighten do it then & there if not dealing with a troll . An anime-forum is not the best place to deal with the issue . Hate generates more hate and whining ... I remember a previous thread on YTube Bashing .

I dont like partaking lets bash the anime bashers game . Better to deal with issue on the other site itself than here
Old 2010-01-05, 20:44   Link #38
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Same thing I do with anyone who hates anything else I love:

Argue and argue and argue and try to make them change their mind!
Old 2010-01-05, 21:01   Link #39
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

i hate them back?

nah, they are just a bunch of ignorants
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 08:14   Link #40
Kaetemi
Kaetemi
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Kaetemi
Quote: