Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-11, 22:55   Link #401
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingxashley View Post
I liked the first episode's bizzareness. I cant wait to see the next episode... I just hope it doesnt end up being really screwy like Mnemosyne. I loved that series too, but god was it weird. lol

Yes, I have a strange liking for bad scifi/fantasy. hehe
I'm not really sure you can compare the two. They are really completely different.
Old 2010-01-11, 22:59   Link #402
dreamingxashley
K-ON Fangirl

It wasnt really a comparison... Mnemosyne was screwy, and the first ep of Vampire Bund was pretty screwy too, but not nearly as weird as the other series.
Old 2010-01-11, 23:00   Link #403
FateAnomaly

The tv show introduction is pretty cool imo but something is off that i can't quite place it. Too much talking maybe.

I will probably watch a few more episodes. Strangely even though i like Evangeline form Negima, i don't feel the same for Mina.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 04:49   Link #404
Sol Falling

I wasn't sure I liked it having just watched it but seeing all the haters has clinched it for me--this first ep was brilliant. :P I scorn/lol at people who call it 'bad' or 'boring', because the 'boring' parts are clearly parody, and they are simply too dull to get it. This intelligent, humourous introduction to the series was far more gripping and generated more goodwill than the conventional 'Observe how cool/dramatic/action-packed I am; therefore take me seriously' setup most series would go for. The best thing is, this introduction doesn't exclude any of those other things. Of course cool/dramatic/action-packed things are often what make a great series--and in fact that is what Vampire Bund is about (to my limited knowledge, and based on what manga readers are saying), it is indeed a serious story. But this parody-talkshow-introduction will obviously only persist for this single episode--declarations of 'this episode was shit, I'm dropping this' are as such pitifully shortsighted--and it can now proceed to grip its audience with it's core content at it's own pace now that it knows it's gotten our attention.

One legitimate criticism I could perhaps understand is if this original material contradicts the spirit of the source (that the irreverent atmosphere is humilating for its own character). My initial uncertainty was somewhat based on this: after spending 3/4 of its length being an irreverent parody, the episode jumped straight into its 'serious' plot and story, in such a way that I wasn't sure it wasn't still parodying itself (y'know, giant lizards and all). I'd been having fun up till then, and now here comes along something I could very easily decide not to take seriously, so what was there to ensure that I would actually connect to the heart of the story when it decides to get to it? But reading in this thread peoples' assertions that, though perhaps a bit stretched out, the core content is very solid gives me faith that this anime hasn't shot itself in the foot by making fun of others when as it turns out it is no better itself.

Anyway, I have sampled 4 winter season anime thus far (Dhurarara!, So Ra No Wo To, Hanamaru Kindergarten, and this) and while all have shown suitable hints of epicness/brilliance, Vampire Bund's first episode was easily the best. To be honest I wasn't at all confident it'd turn out this way (and indeed as I feared, Shaft's animation just isn't as nice as those other studios most of the time)--actually I really am a bit surprised, despite my liking for the studio--but Shaft has shown me once again, content > coverings.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 16:22   Link #405
zato_1one

It might give a wrong impression about the series but I think that it is very hilarious. I really like it.
Old 2010-01-12, 19:21   Link #406
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
It might give a wrong impression about the series but I think that it is very hilarious. I really like it.
Well at least somebody has a positive outlook.
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 20:55   Link #407
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelLuvsPnut View Post
I think the people who liked the first episode (including me) just have less to say than the people who hated it. XD
Old 2010-01-13, 00:08   Link #408
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelLuvsPnut View Post
Remember, you're more likely to find people on either extremes of the spectrum voicing their opinions, and more often than not, it's the "i was very dissatisfied" side that voices its opinions the most.

edit:
Since i've never read the manga material, I'll just say that I enjoyed the first episode for what it was. It's still wayyy too early to tell how this anime will turn out, so I say we ALL give it a FEW EPISODES before we jump the gun and say that this anime adaption is going to blow.
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 00:52   Link #409
Kyanme
suzuya_luvrx666

Send a message via AIM to Kyanme Send a message via MSN to Kyanme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
I scorn/lol at people who call it 'bad' or 'boring', because the 'boring' parts are clearly parody, and they are simply too dull to get it.
The problem here is if you don't get the joke, it is boring. If they're just parodying a late-night talk show, the joke got too stale. If they were parodying Haruhi episode 00, the joke got stale. If I want to watch a talk show, I'll watch a talk show. I watched the first episode of Dance in The Vampire Bund because it looked action-packed with vampires and a lot of fun. Of course people find this episode off-putting. If you went into Hetalia expecting a serious series about world history, you'd be off-put, too. All's well and good for you for enjoying it, but look at it from others' perspective rather than calling them "dull"-- it's a bit rude. (If I'm misinterpreting, I apologize.)

That aside, while I found the first part of the episode boring, what made me dislike this episode is Mina's characterzation. They've changed her personality a bit too much for my liking. I admit, I dropped the manga because of how ranty it is, simply too much for my liking, but the characters' personalities were pretty clear. Mina's no idiot who goes brandishing about where people can see her, so her killing a toad-thing on television, LIVE, left a bad taste in my mouth.

I wouldn't have minded the ten minutes of talking heads if they'd have handled it better. :/ I actually wouldn't have minded if they cut to Akira to show he was watching a special on vampires or something. Changing Mina's character like that was unnecessary. I don't mind things changing in an adaption, and if development in the adaption brings about a personality change in a character, all the better, more new matieral. But to just randomly start that way is too much for me.

I'll be giving it a few more episodes, if only to appease my boyfriend (the original reason I even bothered with the manga, lol)

tumblr | i don't have any other links to post here, whoops
Kyanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 05:55   Link #410
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
Adventures of Mikuru approach
More than that. Quoting my previous post in this topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Come to think of it, from this screenshot (from Random Curiosity):

(click to enlarge)
Check out the cat's colors. Look familiar eh?

By the way, how many actually payed attention to the dialogue? I myself found the professor's and the manga author's arguments interesting.
Old 2010-01-13, 07:45   Link #411
Fnights
Yoku dekimashita!

I'm a bit disappointed of the first episode, i consider it episode 00. Hope the next one follow more close the manga.
Fnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 14:06   Link #412
Riskbreaker

Personally, as someone who hasn't read the manga and going into this episode without any preconceptions (therefore no knee-jerking as some seem to have done already), i thought it was a really interesting episode.

I was reminded a little bit of Ergo Proxy's gameshow ep (only obviously, instead of the proxies, vampires this time around), the mock-chat show element was done pretty well, i think. And as for the characters, Mina looks to be the most interesting character out of the lot so far, hopefully her character will be given enough time to be aired out, given that the series is only 12 episodes long.
Riskbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 16:36   Link #413
teelotes
·¥äkítðrý·

It seems that most viewers who are new to the franchise enjoyed the first episode?

I enjoyed the concept of the talk show, mostly because SHAFT had gone all the way and developed it fully with interviews, guests and sponsorship, and not just present some half-planned talk show. It was also interactive, with input coming from the audience and public so it's not just the guests talking away. And on the way they introduced some main characters and managed to save a few animation frames (another normal day at the studio).

However, making this the first episode... they've got guts, I have to hand it to them. Agreeing along the lines of what Fnights mentioned, a "safer" approach would be to air this episode as a pre-season special. Attracts new viewers to the franchise while appeasing manga readers, two holes in one bite.

Putting this as the first episode also presents the problem that both Riskbreaker and the RC blog mentioned: it's only 12 episodes. But that I don't have to worry, since I'm no manga reader. I'll just sit back and enjoy the adaptation. Just don't throw up some random abrupt ending. And hopefully, no monthly web broadcast that inevitably ends up getting delayed. Please!
teelotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 18:53   Link #414
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnights View Post
I'm a bit disappointed of the first episode, i consider it episode 00. Hope the next one follow more close the manga.
I think you're right because the artist's blog say's something about the op, which will probably air with episode 2, or 1 if you like.
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 19:35   Link #415
sirn
田舎者言うな

I guess manga fans should abandon all hopes about episode 2 being closer to manga…
I still haven't watched it, but judging from the captures…
Spoiler:
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 00:05   Link #416
Jenanime
Dragon

Just watched a raw of ep 2.

The first half was great, but it felt like the animation studio suddenly ran out of money halfway through the ep XD. Of course, this being Shinbo as the director, lots of stills were used (hehe it's Bake all over again).

The episode had a decent opening song this time, although the ending is still that single panty shot of Mina. Now to wait for the subbed version...
Jenanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 00:39   Link #417
Fuze

Just watched episode 2 and I really have to ask because I'm one of the non-manga viewers: "is it suppose to be like a monster-of-the-week type show with romance thrown in?". That was my previous comment and episode 2 is solidifying it even more.

Regardless, it was way more interesting than the.. "ahem".. first episode and I am still interested in the romance aspect of it, if anything.
Fuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 01:14   Link #418
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep2:

Quote:
I really have to ask because I'm one of the non-manga viewers: "is it suppose to be like a monster-of-the-week type show with romance thrown in?"
Since the anime doesn't seem to want to follow the manga, I'm not sure manga-readers can answer either...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 01:52   Link #419
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Wow, that was terrible.

Spoiler for Episode 2:

I might check in if things look better later on, but I somehow doubt it.
Old 2010-01-14, 02:02   Link #420
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Since the anime doesn't seem to want to follow the manga, I'm not sure manga-readers can answer either...
It's impossible to answer, since the anime is so loosely based on the manga it may as well not even share the name.

Also, I predict many cries of pedo bait thanks to episode two.

Tags
action, romance, seinen, shaft, supernatural, vampire, violence