AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-01-14, 13:21   Link #5501
Raiza Sunozaki

Hm... I guess I really should've reworded my previous posts. A bomb is somthing that explodes, right? Therefore, a bomb does not mean an actual object designed and planted for the sole purpose of blowing up. The boiler is a bomb, because it blows up. I mentioned earlier I called it the bomb theory because I like the sound of it better than boiler explosion theory. So to get rid of any thought that the culprit planted a bomb somewhere on the island, which I must agree is unlikely, I'll change my take on it the explosion theory.
I was talking with my Chem teacher today, and she said that a boiler could make quite a sizeable explosion if it blew up. Maybe even enough to destory an entire mansion. If not, the resulting flames would likely burn down the rest of the mansion. If I remember correctly, all the corpses that were "devoured by demons and sent to hell" were always in the mansion when we saw them last, at 24:00. Eva was in the Kuwadorian at that time in Episode 3, and Battler was in the mansion when "the witch" descended the stairs in Episode 4.
I don't think the culprit was aware of the upcoming explosion, and they too were killed in it (which is why no one survives).
I'll admit the evidence for an object that is designed to explode is thin, but the idea that something explodes, destroys/burns down the mansion, erasing the crime scenes and killing the culprit and all survivors has plenty of proof.
1. First and formost,
Spoiler for Episode 6:

2. The fact that there are no survivors. Someone would survive, or else there would be no way to kill everyone, save through some method of killing that not done by a human culprit: Fire, explosion, tree-falling, landslide, unpredictable collapse of a wall, tripping into a well and dying from the fall, death by lightening, running without looking and falling off a tall cliff.
3. How anyone who survives the epitaph killings (or line of murders meant to resemble the epitaph killings) is always dead, but never found. With the exception of Maria's jawbone, which has been proved to be able to survive fires.
4. How the future refers to it as an accident. People aren't stupid. If they found everyone on the island murdered in a grotesque fashion, they'd call it a tragedy. If they found the burnt down ruins of the mansion, with evidence that an explosion happened, it's an accident.
There's plenty of evidence that supports the bomb theory. And in my opinion, it's all pretty solid.
But no matter how much I put forth, you're not going to agree with me, are you Smeckledorf?
Raiza Sunozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 13:51   Link #5502
Pikatira

I just had a random thought. What is the killer did not know there was a bomb. We all know that Kinzo is dead before the games. It never says how long he has been dead. Or how he died. What if Kinzo planted the bomb? By what I interpret Rule X to be is that someone set many things in motion before the events. This means that Kinzo could have been the person to plant a timed bomb. Thus the killer would have not known that there was a bomb on the island. The main problem with this theory is how would he know what day to set it if he was dead. My thought for this is he used his own death to gather everyone to the island, and by used his own death, I mean suicide. The whole family would then have a reason together on a certain date, give or take a day or two.

I know it sounds idiotic, but Kinzo planting the bomb would be justifiable with the fact that Kinzo is dead before the events, Rule X and answer why would the culprit himself with a bomb (Because he/she didn’t know it was there). The reason why Kinzo would want to kill his family is something I can’t answer. Be free to rip apart this theory.
Pikatira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 13:52   Link #5503
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Things that happen the same in multiple episodes:
(presumably) letters are mailed
Maria's rose disappears.
Eva, Hideyoshi, Rudolf, Kyrie, and Rosa threaten Krauss and Natsuhi.
Maria meets Beatrice and receives an envelope with Beatrice first letter and umbrella (eps 1 and 3)
Rudolf says he will be killed that night.
George proposes to Shannon. (eps 1, 2, and 3)
Natsuhi's door is painted. (eps 1 and 2)
Kinzo is found in the furnace (eps 1, 3, and 4)
An envelope with the circle of discord appears. (eps 1 and 2)
(possibly) bomb goes off at Oct. 6 12:01 AM.

Anything that happens the same across multiple episodes was probably planned before arriving on Rokkenjima. When something differs between episodes, changes were the result of something else that happened after arriving on the island.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 14:03   Link #5504
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiza Sunozaki View Post
I don't think the culprit was aware of the upcoming explosion, and they too were killed in it (which is why no one survives).
Now this is something that ruins the mystery.

If the culprit isn't aware of the explosion, and it's not a bomb per se, then it's an accident. The solution to the mystery of what kills everyone at 24:00 is an accident.

I can't believe that. It's not nearly climactic enough. So, I'll construct a quick speculative theory that explains what I think is going on.

I think we need to assume a conspiracy of an Orient Express-level is going on here... there has to be more than one person involved in the killings, or half of them are impossible to pull off. Still, though there isn't a single culprit, there must be a mastermind who thinks up the closed rooms and is responsible for the whole thing in the first place.

For the purposes of my argument, let's say that this mastermind is Kyrie. I think we've been shown enough hints that she's more than she seems to make this viable under Knox 8... Her subordinates, that is, the ones doing the killings, are the servants and Nanjo, who have been shown to be more than suspicious.

Let's say Kyrie has figured out that the servants are planning to betray her and make her a part of the epitaph murders... so, she rigs the boiler with some kind of bomb, and makes the key to shut it off the number, say of a certain bank account. This way, if the servants do end up mutinying, they won't be getting out alive either, and if it all goes off without a hitch, she can just shut the bomb off and retreat to Kuwadorian.

Kyrie, however, has almost never lasted until the end of the episode... which would explain why the bomb goes off almost every single time, except perhaps in Ep5.

How's that for a bomb theory, everyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikatira View Post
It never says how long he has been dead. Or how he died.
Kinzo died in mid-1985. There's no way he set the bomb, unless one of the servants, probably Genji, did it to fulfill his final request.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 14:14   Link #5505
Pikatira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

Kinzo died in mid-1985. There's no way he set the bomb, unless one of the servants, probably Genji, did it to fulfill his final request.
Oops, thanks for the reminder. I can't believe I forgot that. There goes my Kinzo set the bomb up himself theory. Back to the drawing board.
Pikatira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 14:15   Link #5506
Beatoriche
Golden Dreamer~

Send a message via Yahoo to Beatoriche
Hello, I'm new so please be gentle. ^^

Ermm... I have a question regarding AuAu's red text regarding the impossibility of the revival of Beato.

Spoiler for Ep6:
Old 2010-01-14, 15:23   Link #5507
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatoriche View Post
Spoiler for Ep6:
Spoiler for EP6:
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 15:46   Link #5508
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

To be more accurate, "that Beatrice".
あのベアトリーチェが蘇ることは、二度とない。

Featherinne is basically sealing the fate of the "original beato" (ep1-5), that's all. In a way, it isn't like beato2 is forced to be entirely different (proved in the last chapter I guess)
Old 2010-01-14, 15:54   Link #5509
Ronove

I got a theory here :
If we follow Knox Articles , then can the culprit be the boatman? However this defies the number of people on the island (unless shkanon works).

Also, if we're going through the culprit by eliminating the innocents, it could also be Genji. I really doubt such a loyal servant if Kinzo would hide his death so easily .
Ronove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 17:48   Link #5510
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
To be more accurate, "that Beatrice".
あのベアトリーチェが蘇ることは、二度とない。

Featherinne is basically sealing the fate of the "original beato" (ep1-5), that's all. In a way, it isn't like beato2 is forced to be entirely different (proved in the last chapter I guess)
True, but that means that Beato2 is not an amnesiac Beatrice. If she was an amnesiac that would mean she never died to begin with.

Which is weird since the game makes it out that Beato2 is the same Beatrice from EP 1-5, only with no memory and slightly different personality. At least that's what I got from what Virgilia and others said.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 18:15   Link #5511
Kamar
Author Wannabe

Doesn't it just say she can't be revived? That seems to leave a loophole for the idea that she was never completely 'dead'
Kamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 18:20   Link #5512
Smeckledorf
Intellectual Rapist

Quote:
Hm... I guess I really should've reworded my previous posts. A bomb is somthing that explodes, right? Therefore, a bomb does not mean an actual object designed and planted for the sole purpose of blowing up. The boiler is a bomb, because it blows up. I mentioned earlier I called it the bomb theory because I like the sound of it better than boiler explosion theory. So to get rid of any thought that the culprit planted a bomb somewhere on the island, which I must agree is unlikely, I'll change my take on it the explosion theory.
I was talking with my Chem teacher today, and she said that a boiler could make quite a sizeable explosion if it blew up. Maybe even enough to destory an entire mansion. If not, the resulting flames would likely burn down the rest of the mansion. If I remember correctly, all the corpses that were "devoured by demons and sent to hell" were always in the mansion when we saw them last, at 24:00. Eva was in the Kuwadorian at that time in Episode 3, and Battler was in the mansion when "the witch" descended the stairs in Episode 4.
I'll admit the evidence for an object that is designed to explode is thin, but the idea that something explodes, destroys/burns down the mansion, erasing the crime scenes and killing the culprit and all survivors has plenty of proof.
1. First and formost,
Spoiler for Episode 6:

2. The fact that there are no survivors. Someone would survive, or else there would be no way to kill everyone, save through some method of killing that not done by a human culprit: Fire, explosion, tree-falling, landslide, unpredictable collapse of a wall, tripping into a well and dying from the fall, death by lightening, running without looking and falling off a tall cliff.
3. How anyone who survives the epitaph killings (or line of murders meant to resemble the epitaph killings) is always dead, but never found. With the exception of Maria's jawbone, which has been proved to be able to survive fires.
4. How the future refers to it as an accident. People aren't stupid. If they found everyone on the island murdered in a grotesque fashion, they'd call it a tragedy. If they found the burnt down ruins of the mansion, with evidence that an explosion happened, it's an accident.
There's plenty of evidence that supports the bomb theory. And in my opinion, it's all pretty solid.
But no matter how much I put forth, you're not going to agree with me, are you Smeckledorf?
I never said it is impossible, not sure how many times I have to say that, this is the most plausible "bomb" theory as of yet. I still would not like this to be the case but it does fit with my line of thinking. The killer probably did not leave much evidence in the closed room deaths in the first place, and likely wanted to show them off not only to the people on the island but everyone. Why kill in such a flashy manor, if not? Kinzo's stench covering up a problem in the boiler also sounds reasonable, whether the problem was intentional or not. But we do have the cases where Kinzo is not found burnt and that can just mean the original culprit died before being able to do so.

Also, anyone have any thoughts about where Kinzo's body is kept? To not be smelt it would either have to be completely sealed off in a room, frozen, or buried 6 feet deep in the ground. I don't think burying the body 6 feet deep works to well because then it would be too hard to excavate it to burn. Pertaining to the other two methods, the mansion was searched in episode 5 so either one of the locked doors could not be opened or one of the searchers did not want to report his dead body.

MY STANCE: The existence of something that explodes eventually destroying the general area of the mansion, guesthouse, chapel, and storage shed is not impossible but the existence of one would degrade the story.

If you refer to what I think about bombs please read the MY STANCE part.
Smeckledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 18:30   Link #5513
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamar View Post
Doesn't it just say she can't be revived? That seems to leave a loophole for the idea that she was never completely 'dead'
That is one argument, but then why did Battler try to revive her if she isn't dead? The idea is that when Battler took the golden butterfly it was Beatrice's last wish for him to take control of the game - her last piece. She was all but gone by the time he woke up.
Old 2010-01-14, 18:32   Link #5514
Smeckledorf
Intellectual Rapist

Well, what is Beatrice? She is simply just the rules of the game. I don't really think rules can die so I guess you cannot revive something that is not dead.
Old 2010-01-14, 18:38   Link #5515
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeckledorf View Post
Well, what is Beatrice? She is simply just the rules of the game. I don't really think rules can die so I guess you cannot revive something that is not dead.
Well she's not technically the rules of the game as she is the symbol of it. If you remember EP 4 Beatrice exposed her heart, hoping for Battler to crush it. Her heart is essentially the illusion of the witch and if destroyed then the fantasy is destroyed as well.

Spoiler for EP 6:
Old 2010-01-14, 18:43   Link #5516
Smeckledorf
Intellectual Rapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
Well she's not technically the rules of the game as she is the symbol of it. If you remember EP 4 Beatrice exposed her heart, hoping for Battler to crush it. Her heart is essentially the illusion of the witch and if destroyed then the fantasy is destroyed as well.

Spoiler for EP 6:
The illusion of the witch could be one of the rules. So, that does not really change anything?
Old 2010-01-14, 18:45   Link #5517
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeckledorf View Post
The illusion of the witch could be one of the rules. So, that does not really change anything?
I don't think Beatrice is all the rules. If one of the rules is an explosion for example that means Battler made a promise to a bomb six years ago
Old 2010-01-14, 18:48   Link #5518
Smeckledorf
Intellectual Rapist

The sin has nothing to do with Beatrice. Beatrice did not come into existence until after the sin. The person Battler made a promise to does exist as a person on that island because there is a person who pretends to be Beatrice. As proven by the Witch's Letters and Maria's notebooks. This person is unlikely to be Maria since she has much better handwriting and her powers of articulation are much greater.
Unless of course you are counting the promise to kill Beatrice. Then, yes he did agree to kill something that only has life as a personification.
Old 2010-01-14, 22:13   Link #5519
Raiza Sunozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
I don't think Beatrice is all the rules. If one of the rules is an explosion for example that means Battler made a promise to a bomb six years ago
Well, Hormone-infused girls are said to be very much like bombs...
I've said it before, but I think Rule Z is the legend of Beatrice. The illusion of a witch killing the family members allows for the true culprit to move undetected (or with less suspicion placed on them). If X Y Z follows a similar construct to their Higurashi components, then I think this is a good equivalent to Higurashi's Rule Z.
Raiza Sunozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 22:20   Link #5520
Smeckledorf
Intellectual Rapist

Quote:
Well, Hormone-infused girls are said to be very much like bombs...
I've said it before, but I think Rule Z is the legend of Beatrice. The illusion of a witch killing the family members allows for the true culprit to move undetected (or with less suspicion placed on them). If X Y Z follows a similar construct to their Higurashi components, then I think this is a good equivalent to Higurashi's Rule Z.
I really don't think they are similar or else Bern would have wrapped this up by now. There is likely a fundamental difference in the rules of the two.