AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-02-04, 10:06   Link #5881
ijriims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
This time it's Shannon working completely alone, without any aid from Nanjo or Genji whatsoever. Jessica I'm not certain about, but Kyrie I'm more or less convinced she recorded that and then had the recording play towards Battler. I simply cannot accept that that was an alive Kyrie on the phone.
There is even less chance for Kyrie to be pressured into following Shannon's order if Kyrie knew Shannon was recording her voice.

Because it just meant Shannon would not let Kyrie talk to Battler.

But realistically, it is absurdly difficult to record Kyrie's speech and made the coversation with Battler, if you re-read that part.

Battler, you have already known it, right?

Without Love, it cannot be seen.
ijriims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 10:11   Link #5882
Kaiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
actually no I don't think that pinpointing the culprit is an easy task I can only have conjectures at the moment.

Actually I'm not even sure that a culprit exist at all as it was hinted in the game itself (EP6) the possibility that no one was ever murdered at all in the previous games. and that everyone died in the end only because of an unfortunate incident, after playing some kind of game where people faked their own deaths.

The existence of some kind of "game" where a lot of people are faking their own death and the others play along seem quite probable right now, however it is also possible that someone is taking advantage of the situation to kill for real. But who and why is anyone's guess.

As I said Kyrie is a probable one, I see George less probable now but it is still possible. And I wouldn't bet that it can only be either of them.

Anyway about EP2 I'm actually convinced that Beatrice really did show herself to the family and probably explained that she knows where the gold is hidden as well as some other secret (that she is the child from 19 years before maybe), and in that instance she got them to take part in the "game", probably by promising she would give them the gold if they did.
That would be the mother of all trolls, so I guess I can see it happening, though I would be incredibly angry at an ending where there is no culprit and we've been wasting our time trying to find one. At any rate, the question was less "can we pinpoint an exact culprit?" and more "whom can we tell is definitely not a culprit as of now?"

Quote:
There is even less chance for Kyrie to be pressured into following Shannon's order if Kyrie knew Shannon was recording her voice.

Because it just meant Shannon would not let Kyrie talk to Battler.

But realistically, it is absurdly difficult to record Kyrie's speech and made the coversation with Battler, if you re-read that part.
I'll admit I don't like it. But I like Kyrie going around babbling about a witch even less as it contradicts everything we know about her, and I've established my problems with the scene where the Siestas opened fire on her group already, and Shannon holding Kyrie at gunpoint is iffy because of her locked room puzzle. Under those scenarios, a recording is my best guess.
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 10:42   Link #5883
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
At any rate, the question was less "can we pinpoint an exact culprit?" and more "whom can we tell is definitely not a culprit as of now?"
this is easier, there are a few that have a 100% chance of not being the culprits:

Kinzo: he's dead
Battler: confirmed in red

Then there are a few that were confirmed not being murderer or culprit in red. Though some might argue that it isn't certain they aren't culprit or murderer in other episodes, I believe that a culprit by chance would be kinda lame, so the "culprit" must be "culprit" in every episode, even if he doesn't get the chance to kill.

Genji, Kumasawa, Nanjo, Natsuhi

The first three might be questionable because it is only said they were not murderer in episode1, but Genji is the butler... please no... and Kumasawa and Nanjo are too old imho.

Maria is too young it wouldn't be realistic if she was the culprit.

Eva is being too much at the center of suspicion. If she was the culprit that would mean that all the irresponsible talk shows and magazines are right. Also everything we know from 1998 would point to the idea she really wasn't the culprit.

this leaves us with:

George
Shannon
Kanon
Jessica
Gohda
Kyrie
Rosa
Hideyoshi
Rudolf
Krauss

It is possible to exclude even more people among them but with a lower degree of certainty. For example Gohda to me seems very improbable because we have seen his thoughts in the extra tips. Rosa was also way too suspicious in EP2, 'though she was never pointed as a culprit in the game itself. Rudolf's thoughts have also been exposed already and he really doesn't seem to have any reason to kill nor the personality that would lead him to murder. Krauss is too coward and lacks initiative, although he might have a very good reason to kill everyone if his new business was going to fail bringing the whole family into misery, but in that case the discovery of the gold should have made him change his mind.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 12:19   Link #5884
ijriims

Genji has been hinted as proficient in knife-throwing (a realistic skill), this is not something an ordinary servant would know.

Consider his age and his loyalty to Kinzo, someone speculates that Genji and Kinzo were both brothers-in-arm during WWII, and Kinzo had saved him during the war such that Genji was indebted to him. His skill of knife-throwing was also trained during the war.

And consider Nanjo and Kumasawa in EP2 were killed by a slash in the throat (also the bodies in EP5), you had to consider the murderer should be someone who had been skilled in using knife in combat...

Last edited by ijriims; 2010-02-04 at 12:38.
Old 2010-02-04, 12:38   Link #5885
luckyssol

Continuing from my previous posts: 07151129 and the mastermind’s motive

It all makes sense in my head but writing it all down in a way that clearly explains it all is a bit difficult.

I’ll explain some more elements that I forgot to explain in my previous posts:

Spoiler for ”Further explanation of the theory”:

This post is incredibly large so please send a PM regarding type-o's

Last edited by luckyssol; 2010-02-06 at 18:37.
luckyssol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 12:46   Link #5886
Antera Caramichael
French Maid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Spoiler for size:
She said that almost all his theories were wrong, but she never said that all of them were She said that because this theory didn't broke up any mysteries since "There are no more than 17 people on the island" and Kinzo's theory only broke the mystery about the reconition of Kinzo.
Can you found another theory that can explain "Everyone reconize Kinzo" other than Battler's?
Since there is a previous case that show that this theory is entirely possible for another, I don't see anything against the name exchanging, exept of course for Kanon.

Quote:
You are missing something in your picture

Because of your sin everyone dies

I don't think that your Kyrie theory would match with this, after all if Kyrie was bent on killing all of the Ushiromiya then everyone would die regardless of whatever sin battler committed 6 years before.

Because of Battler's sin everyone dies
Battler is not the culprit

Which means that according to Ryukishi it is possible to be the cause of everyone's death and not being the culprit at the same time.
It indeed is a problem, but which can be solved:
One of the first theories about Battler sin was that he left the Ushiromiya Family.
With this, it is easily solvable: Because Battler left, he couldn't prevent Kasumi from changing into Kyrie and thus prevent the murders.

Quote:
Actually I'm not even sure that a culprit exist at all as it was hinted in the game itself (EP6) the possibility that no one was ever murdered at all in the previous games. and that everyone died in the end only because of an unfortunate incident, after playing some kind of game where people faked their own deaths.

The existence of some kind of "game" where a lot of people are faking their own death and the others play along seem quite probable right now, however it is also possible that someone is taking advantage of the situation to kill for real. But who and why is anyone's guess.

As I said Kyrie is a probable one, I see George less probable now but it is still possible. And I wouldn't bet that it can only be either of them.
The 15 people mentioned are dead
Nanjo was killed by another person
People die when they are dead!
I already proclaimed in red at the time that there were no suicides!!

These are samples^^
After you can deny the red truths but....
Antera Caramichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 13:08   Link #5887
Judoh
Mystery buff

The only other problem I see with the Knox's rules with a Kasumi or Asumu culprit theory is

Knox's 10th- It is forbidden for a character to disguise themselves as another without any clues.

This is the only problem, but if you assume the author will present clues for this later in the story there isn't a contradiction. The problem remains though that if no clues are presented in the story than it doesn't work.

Also maybe Kasumi wouldn't be considered as being mentioned in the early part of the story becuase her first appearance comes in the 1998 part of episode 4. Maybe you have to be mentioned in episode 1 or the beginning of any episode to be a culprit.

Hypothetically you could make a red like this

Dlanor: This is UNFORTUNATE for you!! Sadera Kasumi has never been MENTIONED by anyone on October of 1986 therefore by Knox's rules she cannot be the culprit!!!

Last edited by Judoh; 2010-02-04 at 14:03.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 13:10   Link #5888
imaginari
Purupurupiko-Man

Location: My beloved hometown, the mackerel river running through it
If the culprit died in EP2 first twilight, there would have to be someone who would carry out their killings exactly as they would, as well as someone who would commit an incredibly gruesome murder that would get rid of said culprit. That one doesn't look fakeable, at all.

I don't think that it was any of them.
imaginari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 13:10   Link #5889
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
The only other problem I see with the Knox's rules with a Kasumi or Asumu culprit theory is

Knox's 10th- It is forbidden for a character to disguise themselves as another without any clues.

This is the only problem, but if you assume the author will present clues for this later in the story there isn't a contradiction. The problem remains though that if no clues are presented in the story than it doesn't work.
If you read my theory I explain how you can get Asumu from 07151129. Also, Asumu uses no disguises in person in my theory.
Old 2010-02-04, 13:16   Link #5890
ijriims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
I’ll explain some more elements that I forgot to explain in my previous posts:

Spoiler for ”Further explanation of my theory”:

This post is incredibly large so please send a PM regarding type-o's
A short question: why didn't Nanjo tell the others (Krauss, Natsuhi, Rudolf or Kyrie) right away that George were outside the whole night and tried to attack him?

A short comment: Asumu would not try to murder the whole family instead of targetting only Rudolf and Kyrie if her whole motive was Rudolf having affairs with Kyrie. And Shannon had little reason to believe she was Beatrice's daughter. Asumu also had little reason to know about the death of 1967 Beatrice since Rosa had little motive to tell anyone about it, which she tried to forget (and indeed forgot until seeing the witch's letter)

Still, it is a really comprehensive theory on EP3. You surely put a lot of efforts into it.

Last edited by ijriims; 2010-02-04 at 13:28.
Old 2010-02-04, 13:21   Link #5891
luckyssol

1st version (Feb. 2, 2010)
2nd version (Mar. 17, 2010)

Aug. 11, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to read the 3rd version of this theory. The Japanese text outside of the spoiler tags is not part of the theory so don't worry.
The new format was inspired by another awesome culprit analysis so please take the time to read that one as well.

If the image links are not working in this post then try the links in this post instead.

さて、始めましょうか。

Spoiler for Part 1, Observer:

この物語は、本当は誰の意志によって繰り返されているのだろうか。

Spoiler for Part 2, 07151129:

伝説は胡散の実と共に隠されて…07151129…

Spoiler for Part 3, Ushiromiya Asumu:

右代宮明日夢の無念は、誰が晴らすんですか。

Spoiler for Part 4, Author Analysis:

紅茶を飲むなら、バケモノ同士に限ります。

<See you in hell>

Last edited by luckyssol; 2010-08-11 at 11:12.
Old 2010-02-04, 14:02   Link #5892
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
If you read my theory I explain how you can get Asumu from 07151129. Also, Asumu uses no disguises in person in my theory.
What do the Kanji for 1129 mean to you for the number 07151129?

Well I did look at it. I don't understand Japanese though so I don't understand your theory on the number. But I guess to you that number is a name or a title used to threaten people? That's a lot easier for me to understand

If somebody could help me translate what you said that would help a lot. Are you guys using some kind of program?
Old 2010-02-04, 14:05   Link #5893
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antera Caramichael View Post
The 15 people mentioned are dead
Nanjo was killed by another person
People die when they are dead!
I already proclaimed in red at the time that there were no suicides!!

These are samples^^
After you can deny the red truths but....
Really, what's more likely is that the First Twilight deaths are always intended to be a game, but... someone decides to take advantage of that.

Or perhaps the 'game' participants are simply fooled into putting themselves into a vulnerable position, where they can easily be killed.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 14:08   Link #5894
luckyssol

http://freetexthost.com/f1ms5sxq0p

Last edited by luckyssol; 2010-11-30 at 20:34.
Old 2010-02-04, 16:37   Link #5895
Marion
The Great Dine

As far as ruling people out I did so for the following people:

Battler (confirmed in red, bad writing)
Maria (too young and if she is involved it's only because she gets fooled by Beatrice)
Natsuhi (confirmed in red EP 5)*
Krauss (confirmed in red EP 5)*
Eva (red herring)
Gohda (not involved in the secrets of the family and out of everyone I can never picture him murdering. Too nice, albeit a bit of a showoff)
Rudolf (he might be a jackass when it comes to dealing with women, but he does care about his family deeply. Not to mention dying on the first twilight 3 times out of the 4 question arcs)
Rosa (she only survived past the 2nd twilight once. If she's the culprit it would make no sense)
Genji + Kumasawa (the entire Ronove and Virgilia connection just makes me suspect them less. But even then I can't see Genji murdering the family - it's the same case with Natsuhi. Both are extremely loyal to the family and I don't see them willing to kill, even on order. I doubt Kumasawa can take on gauntlets like Krauss or Rudolf either.)
Kinzo (dead)

*: Although it never said they were out for all games I just don't see it. Natsuhi is clearly devoted to the family and Krauss just seems a bit slow and a nice guy under the chauvinist exterior.

Which leaves:
Jessica, George, Hideyoshi, Kyrie, Shannon, Nanjo and Kanon.

Now lets break these guys down:

Spoiler for Breakdown:

Shannon and Kanon are fairly suspicious on the other hand, along with Nanjo (because doctor is always suspicious). Then you have Kyrie left - even though she died early on in EP 1 and 2, I don't think you can count her out. EP 6 doesn't count.

Spoiler for Big wall of text/Higurashi end spoilers/EP 6 spoilers:
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 16:52   Link #5896
Antera Caramichael
French Maid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post

Also maybe Kasumi wouldn't be considered as being mentioned in the early part of the story becuase her first appearance comes in the 1998 part of episode 4. Maybe you have to be mentioned in episode 1 or the beginning of any episode to be a culprit.

Hypothetically you could make a red like this

Dlanor: This is UNFORTUNATE for you!! Sadera Kasumi has never been MENTIONED by anyone on October of 1986 therefore by Knox's rules she cannot be the culprit!!!
Several answers:

1= The basic but coward^^: It was never stated in red that "Knox Rules apply to the first, second, third or fourth games", or even any games.

2= The twisted: Kasumi was here since the begining! But like I said, at that time she was not Kasumi but "Kyrie." Considering the hints, the presence of Evatrice, the Sumadera's family and their interest on Ange as well as their hate against Kyrie and the Ushiromiya Family are enough to form a theory as them as the masterminds and Kasumi the tool.
Antera Caramichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 17:00   Link #5897
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

the problem I see with it is that

Due to your sin, a great many humans on this island die.
No one escapes, all die.

Which means that whoever is on the island must die, however Kasumi is well alive in EP4.

Although you might think this looks like a logic error since Eva did survive in EP3.................................

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 17:16   Link #5898
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

There's a lot of little inconsistencies like that in Umineko if you're looking for them, although the way that second line is used reminds me of Beatrice's red laughter and Dlanor's GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH. That is, it's just done for emphasis and not really indicative of anything.

...Then again, you could argue that Eva never really did escape from (the spectre of) Rokkenjima, and the buildup of stress did eventually kill her.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 17:19   Link #5899
luckyssol

Quote:
the problem I see with it is that

Due to your sin, a great many humans on this island die.
No one escapes, all die.

Which means that whoever is on the island must die, however Kasumi is well alive in EP4.

Although you might think this looks like a logic error since Eva did survive in EP3.................................
As Marion said a few posts above, Hachijou said that 1998 is a continuation of the EP3 world. Eva died in 1998. Therefore, no one survived to the end of the story.
Old 2010-02-04, 17:30   Link #5900
Judoh
Mystery buff

Well I think it's just easier to beleive that Kyrie herself is the culprit who committed the murders rather than her sister. ( There are many ways to get around the first twilights in episode 1 and 2.) I think for example that Rudolf would be able to tell the difference between the two. Battler MIGHT not be able to, but then again Kyrie is described as being like an older sister to him so maybe he could see through it too.

It's a nice theory, but I don't want to beleive it unless there are clues later that people are dressing up as other people. Same with Asumu. We don't know if she's alive in 1986, and even if she was nobody would think of it when solving the mystery. An off island mastermind to destroy the family sounds more plausible than characters masquerading as each other after ep 5 at least, but besides episode 5 I don't see a lot of foreshadowing for it.

I think Kyrie makes at least more sense because for one thing she's the only character that has reds (besides Hideyoshi) that suggests that she murdered people. Which I thought was kind of telling.

she claimed that they should not leave the guesthouse

[And yet, she herself] suggested that they leave the guesthouse to get food

the reason she changed her mind was not told to anyone, nor was it written down

Until the last instant before she died, Kyrie preserved her pattern of behavior which states 'not going to get food=not going to the mansion'

And if you think about it in mysteries the solution seems obvious once you figure it out and there is a lot of foreshadowing for Kyrie with her lines about a woman's envy and sometimes hating Battler. In some ways Kyrie culprit theory just makes sense. It's not like other people murdering people isn't possible, but I think she's a pretty good bet. I don't want to rule Rosa out either just yet... I don't think her not living past the so and so twilights most of the time is a good excuse if your going to rule out Rosa. If your going by that logic Kyrie isn't possible either, and Kyrie is also a mother too. So I still think you can get around that and have them as culprits.