Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-02-07, 12:12   Link #2641
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbee View Post
I can't really understand why it's so loved by many. Is there something more to the show that I'm missing?
In a word? Yes. But not everyone has to like every show. Sounds to me like this one just isn't your cup of tea, because the stuff you say you hate is what a lot of us love and as for the baseball, well - it's hardly present in at least half the episodes.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 12:23   Link #2642
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Yeah, this series have been popular even among people who traditionally aren't interested in sports anime because the sports segments in this series are pretty short and to the point, and they are only used as a vehicle for the story, at least when compared to other series in the same genre.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 12:28   Link #2643
poko-kun

The reason I love CG so much is because I love the characters, they are down to earth like the boys & girls next door to me. ^^

Anyway for#44
Well done 2nd year!
Old 2010-02-07, 13:22   Link #2644
Theowne
耳をすませば

I must admit I also find it a little strange that the relatively minimal baseball sequences could hamper enjoyment of the much more frequent SoL sequences. But all the same, I don't think it would be Cross Game with the baseball parts cut out, as suggested. I guess a small amount of respect for youth-team sports is a prerequisite as all. I certainly don't think its trivial. I don't think anyone would say that someone striving to be a good pianist is a trivial thing, and sports shouldn't be seen differently.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 14:45   Link #2645
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

well, funny thing is, i gave up on Erin after one episode and rated it a 3/10..

anyways, the baseball is a vessel for character development and plot progression, just like gondola training is in Aria. the true value of this show is its slice of life qualities and its character development.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 14:53   Link #2646
Proto

Erin is a series that has its first strong climax point at episode 8. I would really recommend you to give it that much chance, and withhold your judgment till that point. The first 3-5 episodes are pretty much introductory.
Old 2010-02-07, 15:11   Link #2647
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Erin is a series that has its first strong climax point at episode 8. I would really recommend you to give it that much chance, and withhold your judgment till that point. The first 3-5 episodes are pretty much introductory.
sarcasm didn't really have time to follow it that much.

i guess i'll wait for subs to come out for 44 before jumping on it. though i can already guess (know..) what happens. does the game take up the whole ep?

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-02-07, 18:36   Link #2648
Free
Pro Procrastinator
*Fansubber

I'm surprised no one is calling for a lynching mob yet. Perhaps CG's crowd is just too mature. You don't need someone to cut it for you, just skip the baseball parts yourself...

I never much liked Erin, though I did manage to get to the end.
Spoiler for certain plot:
It did have its good moments, but overall, it was just a tool for procrastination.

Since you did go past CG epi01, and still found CG to be disagreeable, I suppose you never will like it... That's unfortunate...

LYNCH HIM!

Last edited by Free; 2010-02-07 at 19:32.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 21:04   Link #2649
PeterI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
In a word? Yes. But not everyone has to like every show. Sounds to me like this one just isn't your cup of tea, because the stuff you say you hate is what a lot of us love and as for the baseball, well - it's hardly present in at least half the episodes.
If the Cross Game anime has a defect, it is that there isn't enough baseball. The current episode would have been better if they had made that game against Sena (with Miki as pitcher) last most of two whole episodes. Touch and H2 had more in the way of decently long anime baseball games.

The only anime I've seen which really made the games long enough was Ookiku Furikabutte. I hope to see season two soon. I just want to point out that some of us like anime baseball.
PeterI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 21:43   Link #2650
Proto

They are diffferent beasts altogether. In Cross Game baseball is a vehicle for character development. In Ookiku Furikabutte baseball is the vehicle for character development. I mean, we get 2 games in the whole 2-cour series. And baseball was 80-90% of the series. Not that it is bad, but its obvious the focuses are different.
Old 2010-02-07, 23:21   Link #2651
Proto

Early threat from Subsmith guys. This comes in handy since I was having troubles getting the RAW myself.
Old 2010-02-07, 23:38   Link #2652
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i'm so happy i held off watching this show until the end. i think the wait would have killed me. i'm so giddy that there's a new ep.

pretty standard baseball episode. i can't wait for the next few eps though.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2010-02-08 at 00:04.
Old 2010-02-08, 00:23   Link #2653
poko-kun

Sena sure played risk game against Seishuu.
high risk, high return (esp. for Seishuu - Hurayyy!!)

Spoiler for Toilet scene:
Old 2010-02-08, 00:27   Link #2654
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

they sort of did. but you couldn't really tell. i interpreted it as hand washing. also, the surprisingly large amount of yaoi art on pixiv made me not want to search for fanarts of this series any more..

Old 2010-02-08, 01:03   Link #2655
Proto

Normally I don't mind when they cut the 4th wall humor, but I would have liked for them to animate this bit

It made me literally lol when I read it. I'm a simple guy.

Spoiler for ep 44+preview:

Last edited by Proto; 2010-02-08 at 09:47.
Old 2010-02-08, 01:38   Link #2656
poko-kun

Oh right, I miss the gift from Senda Clause.
Old 2010-02-08, 10:43   Link #2657
Asleep

lol they should have put that.

The episode finished so quickly! I was suddenly staring at the ED Watching Cross Game puts me in a good mood though. Gaah why no soundtrack!

And I like that Cross Game is not only about baseball but I do enjoy the baseball episodes
Asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 23:40   Link #2658
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asleep View Post
And I like that Cross Game is not only about baseball but I do enjoy the baseball episodes

Well how I see it even the baseball episodes are ultimately more about the characters than the baseball which is why I enjoy them so much. It's all slice of life to me.
Old 2010-02-09, 03:19   Link #2659
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
I came here to talk about the manga, but I guess most of you guys are just talking about the anime?
Of course, because this is the anime only thread. We do have in facts a Cross Game manga thread therefore everything manga related shall go there while nothing, and I mean NOTHING about future events, hints or whatsoever has to be posted here.

A bunch of recent posts (including the one I'm quoting a portion from) has been deleted.
Old 2010-02-09, 07:38   Link #2660
bbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Yeah, this series have been popular even among people who traditionally aren't interested in sports anime because the sports segments in this series are pretty short and to the point, and they are only used as a vehicle for the story, at least when compared to other series in the same genre.
Hmm I got the impression from the wiki summaries that there was a lot more baseball going on.. I don't know, but from the eps that I've seen, there was a lot of focus on training, buliding a strong team, "hiding" asset players.. Talk about techiques. I just don't care about that sort of thing. I don't see how those bits could be used for character development. From what I've seen in the comments here, the romance doesn't go anywhere either (45 eps and not even a kiss?).
Maybe it's just not my thing like Enzo said. I have a general distaste for shounen shows (I haven't seen one that was worth my time), and this show gives off that vibe, less than most other shows, but still.. Thanks in large part to the char designs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I must admit I also find it a little strange that the relatively minimal baseball sequences could hamper enjoyment of the much more frequent SoL sequences. But all the same, I don't think it would be Cross Game with the baseball parts cut out, as suggested. I guess a small amount of respect for youth-team sports is a prerequisite as all. I certainly don't think its trivial. I don't think anyone would say that someone striving to be a good pianist is a trivial thing, and sports shouldn't be seen differently.
Maybe I should have said _competitive_ sports.. I'd love to see an animated character study of someone trying, and failing, to become a good pianist. Or even baseball player. As long as it didn't focus at all on the actual playing, the technique of playing, or spend too much time dwelling on rivalry at competitions etc. (Or try to mooch off the popularity of classical pieces, and add nothing of value of its own. This is where Nodame breaks down).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
Since you did go past CG epi01, and still found CG to be disagreeable, I suppose you never will like it... That's unfortunate...

LYNCH HIM!
Heh, I guess I should have expected that from a fansubber, did suggest putting the knife to a show after all.. I'd still like to see key character development-related scenes from ball games, and this is hard to do when you're skipping through an ep yourself. But I guess I'm in the minority, nobody would ever do this sort of thing for fear of being ridiculed or tarded.

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports