AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-14, 18:15   Link #1
Timdog

Intense series

I'm looking for some very intense series. Ones that grab you pretty quickly and don't let go until the end.

Of the ones I've seen (very few), only Kaiji comes to mind that has this kind of intensity.
Old 2010-03-14, 18:20   Link #2
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Elfen Lied - First 5 minutes alone are the epitome of intense. Whole series is intense and graphic.
Bounen no Xamdou - Intense action from start to finish as the world goes to hell in a handbasket.
Code Geass - The true defintiion of epic, jusitified ego and being grand all the way.
Last Exile - World on verge of apocalypse in sky-based battles. Brilliant in every way.
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - Japan gets smashed by an earthquake. Three people try to get home despite it.
Old 2010-03-14, 18:42   Link #3
Wavie
Freedom

Send a message via ICQ to Wavie Send a message via MSN to Wavie
hikaru no go, you wont get more tense than that.

tournments, rivals, amazing games and a great atmosphere. truly best anime ever made in the board game genre and most others.

you may also want to try gantz but that is an action anime. (first episode slow but afterwards it kicks off)

claymore also an action anime. first 5 episode of it sorta suck tho.

hikaru no go just plain awesome but takes a tiny bit of getting into. prob closest to kanji, you wont get more intense than hikaru no go as i said above

hunter x hunter also has lots of trials and exams on it that keeps you on edge of your seat. for example a candle, one long candle and one short one. which one do you take? the one that burns out first depends on whether you live or die. A question: you have 30 seconds to answer. You can either save your wife or your mother, who do you save?

Hunter x Hunter trials are really good part of that anime and i think you may enjoy it. First 2 episodes are slow but by episode 3 you should be enjoying it and looking forward to the next episode. (wont get intense until after ep 2). rather than one game like in kaiji (well 2 i think), this anime has lots of different trials through the 62 episodes. You can get the torrent off animesuki. 1 series, 3 ovas and an ongoing manga.

that should be all the anime you need . I planned to make my reply short but i guess i didn't heh. let me know how those choices are (nice to know how your feedback goes down ). know thats not something to boast about but i tell ya this: i know me anime. you wont get closer to intense than those series.
My Anime List
Old 2010-03-14, 20:40   Link #4
GreatTeacherKen

How about the manga Jojo's Bizarre Adventure?

It's loaded with numerous creative, unpredictable, and intense action scenes (especially once the Stand powers get introduced in Part 3). The protagonists are frequently placed into bizarre (the series lives up to its title) and seemingly impossible to escape from scenarios, but they escape alive by using some brilliant strategy to defeat their opponents. However, the series also has a tradition of killing off major characters in each story arc and sometimes very suddenly.

There are anime adaptations of it, but I'd recommend you stick with the manga since the adaptations are severely compressed.
Old 2010-03-14, 21:09   Link #5
Timdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavie View Post
hikaru no go, you wont get more tense than that.

tournments, rivals, amazing games and a great atmosphere. truly best anime ever made in the board game genre and most others.

you may also want to try gantz but that is an action anime. (first episode slow but afterwards it kicks off)

claymore also an action anime. first 5 episode of it sorta suck tho.

hikaru no go just plain awesome but takes a tiny bit of getting into. prob closest to kanji, you wont get more intense than hikaru no go as i said above

hunter x hunter also has lots of trials and exams on it that keeps you on edge of your seat. for example a candle, one long candle and one short one. which one do you take? the one that burns out first depends on whether you live or die. A question: you have 30 seconds to answer. You can either save your wife or your mother, who do you save?

Hunter x Hunter trials are really good part of that anime and i think you may enjoy it. First 2 episodes are slow but by episode 3 you should be enjoying it and looking forward to the next episode. (wont get intense until after ep 2). rather than one game like in kaiji (well 2 i think), this anime has lots of different trials through the 62 episodes. You can get the torrent off animesuki. 1 series, 3 ovas and an ongoing manga.

that should be all the anime you need . I planned to make my reply short but i guess i didn't heh. let me know how those choices are (nice to know how your feedback goes down ). know thats not something to boast about but i tell ya this: i know me anime. you wont get closer to intense than those series.

thanks for that lengthy reply

i didn't mean to limit my choices to just game related ones, I like all genres so anything is fine.
Old 2010-03-14, 21:16   Link #6
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
ill second Elfen Leid

Black Lagoon
Ergo Proxy
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Hellsing OVA
Lunar Legend Tskuhime
Old 2010-03-14, 23:35   Link #7
Wavie
Freedom

Send a message via ICQ to Wavie Send a message via MSN to Wavie
dont worry those animes are just as great, even if you didnt specify a genre those are among the best animes ever made.
My Anime List
Old 2010-03-15, 01:31   Link #8
Peterbigeyes

Ga-rei zero is pretty good. It was responsible for my low grades in one of my year end exams lol
Old 2010-03-15, 01:48   Link #9
NoLongerSane

Third on Elfen Lied. Pretty much seconding Neon Genesis Evangelion. Full Metal Panic and FMP The Second Raid are known to have some intense scenes.
Old 2010-03-15, 03:50   Link #10
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Evangelion

Full Metal Panic

Full Metal Alchemist

Starblazers

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-03-15, 04:27   Link #11
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would recommend:

Canaan - Action Girl looking for revenge
Elfen Lied - Messed up action girl looking for revenge (lots of blood and gore), with a nicer but retarded split personality.
Code Geass - Exiled Prince/Terrorist trying to destroy an evil Empire with Mecha, with the help of Freedom Fighters.
Kara no Kyoukai - Horror/Mystery of a girl with e power to see the death in everything, and can't help but murder.
Eden of the East - Mystery. A guy suddenly realises he's in front of the White House with a pistol, a phone charged with 8 billion yen and butt naked...with amnesia.
Fullmetal Alchemist - Two broken brothers on a quest for the philosophers stone and discover some dark things about the world they live in, in the process.
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - An earthquake hits Tokyo and a girl with her little brother try to get back home.
Sword of the Stranger - A small boy on the run from Chinese assassins meets a skilled Samurai who agrees to protect him.
A Certain Magical Index - An unlucky guy with the power to dispell magic meets a nun on the run from magicians.
Durarara!! - Just crazy all round. Lots of weirdos in Ikeburo in a Thirty Xanatos Pileup.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-03-26 at 08:23.
Old 2010-03-15, 12:14   Link #12
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Stuff that I watched in huge amounts per sitting were:

One Outs - Very similar in feel to Kaiji (same animators). I'm not a baseball fan (from the UK) but still found this incredibly fun to watch.
Juuni Kokuki - Epic Fantasy with a highly interesting story... marathoned through the series because I couldn't put it aside for a second.
Gankutsuou - Loosely based on The Count of Monte Cristo. Highly enjoyable with a beautifully unique style of artwork. The art might take getting used to, but it's fantastic.
Seirei no Moribito - A great fantasy story about a bodyguard mercenary hired to protect a prince and having to go on the run.

Popular stuff you've probably already seen or heard of/already mentioned in this thread:
Death Note - One of the best Thrillers there is.
Code Geass - World domination, battle of wits, politics, revenge, mecha and more.
Gundam 00 - This was the first proper 'mecha' anime I watched... so even if you're not a huge fan, you should give it a try. Similar to Code Geass in some aspects (same animators): Politics, war, personal problems, questioning the methods to achieving your goals and morality/justice.
Old 2010-03-15, 13:28   Link #13
Hayaku
Ecchi go Boom 0(^.^)0

sorry, don't have any suggestions but I just clicked on this thread and read what you had wrote and would like to thank you for the suggestion on Kaiji ^.^

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2010-03-16, 02:09   Link #14
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbigeyes View Post
Ga-rei zero is pretty good. It was responsible for my low grades in one of my year end exams lol
Seconded. Only series I ever watched completely in one sitting.

If you like romance, I'd recommend ef: a tale of memories. I watched that one in two days. Definitely emotionally intense.

Haven't finished Baccano yet (I know, heresy) but that's pretty awesome as well. Plot's a bit confusingly presented at first but it really draws you in.
Old 2010-03-16, 16:26   Link #15
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Seriously now guys? Akagi wasn't mentioned? He even told you that he wanted something that had the intensity of Kaiji.
Old 2010-03-16, 21:03   Link #16
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
you should also watch Monster
Old 2010-03-25, 15:58   Link #17
Nowusee
Total Coolness

Bitter Virgin
My Mysterious Girlfriend X
Id
Fairy Tail(maybe)
Gacha Gacha Revolution(Im ashamed that it was addicting to read...)
Old 2010-03-25, 19:37   Link #18
kakashibatosi

TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGAAN!!!!!! WATCH IT NOW!!!!!!

In all seriousness, epic anime. Amazing soundtrack, bang up characters, nice animation, and an all around spectacular show. It doesn't get any more Epic than Gurren Lagaan
Closed Thread