Nekokota Festival

It just seems that this series should be longer but it was a good ending
Old 2010-03-25, 01:03   Link #1462
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
It just seems that this series should be longer but it was a good ending
Even without being a 2 cour season they REALLY could have made use a of a 13th ep.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 01:12   Link #1463
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Even without being a 2 cour season they REALLY could have made use a of a 13th ep.
Yeah, they should have made Kanata's struggle for the toilet a two part epic drama.
Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 01:16   Link #1464
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Indeed....historical research done, scientific ones as well......glad to see someone paying attention to tiny details like this in their work...just makes the overall feel more complete somehow
Well I'm glad my prediction somewhat came true. Looks like there is still air power and paratroopers as well.

Now we just need the 506th PIR.

Furthermore, it would seem our friends are not just Romans but Romanians. Which brings me up to say it looks like Austria, Hungary, Slovenia and Croatia maybe now gone and part of no-mans land.

As for the episode itself, music somehow stopping a big fight? I suppose this is the only time the music and military thing actually worked for me. (WWI Christmas Truce). And given all the other crappy music/military metaphors we've had before ('receive my sound', tank/trumpet, 'we all like amazing grace, we're not so different after all). Add to the fact that both sides were exactly enthusiastic and yeah.

That said, it's a shame we never had a 15 year old, Japanese-Swiss trumpeter girl in Vietnam, WWI, the Invasion of Poland and the Korean War. Although from the demonstration in this episode it is now clear we need to equip all M1 Abrams with speakers blasting out Amazing Freaking Grace from now on.

As for everything else there were a few bumps. I think Aisha was introduced a bit too late, Kanata has been annoying. But so has Kureha. (Really? Noel worked her fucking ass off rebuilding this damn advanced tank while you bitched about carrying heavy backpacks up a mountain and you still think she's lazy? Worst Tsundere ever!) It's been a very hit and miss season but the setting was enjoyable. Hopefully we'll get more of it in ep13-14.

Also, while on the topic of Noel is there any fiction that depicts creators of WMDs as not having anything on their conscience in regards to the weapons they've used. AND they aren't represented as evil scientists but just people given a job to do and did it? I know that in this day and age, this probably isn't accepted in fiction as it well sends a bad message. But I would like for once see a WMD scientist depicted as anything but guilty as hey it's more likely then you think.

"I had never said that I had regretted participating in a responsible way in the making of the bomb."-Robert Oppenheimer.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 01:29   Link #1465
Hypernova

"As for the episode itself, music somehow stopping a big fight?"

My interpretation is that it's a subversion, remember that she only managed to stall them not stop them. IMO the real reason they paused was that since they are heavily trained to interpret trumpet signals they were confused trying to decode AG.
Old 2010-03-25, 02:57   Link #1466
durack

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post
Also, while on the topic of Noel is there any fiction that depicts creators of WMDs as not having anything on their conscience in regards to the weapons they've used. AND they aren't represented as evil scientists but just people given a job to do and did it? I know that in this day and age, this probably isn't accepted in fiction as it well sends a bad message. But I would like for once see a WMD scientist depicted as anything but guilty as hey it's more likely then you think.
Xam'd?

Not exactly WMDs but Kakisu and the scientist did some nasty experiments on humans but at the same time were not portrayed as "OMG EVIL", more like lost/tortured souls.
durack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 04:53   Link #1467
Hypernova

Old 2010-03-25, 06:41   Link #1468
Revan21

I want this song ^
Without the lyrics

Quote:
That said, it's a shame we never had a 15 year old, Japanese-Swiss trumpeter girl in Vietnam, WWI, the Invasion of Poland and the Korean War. Although from the demonstration in this episode it is now clear we need to equip all M1 Abrams with speakers blasting out Amazing Freaking Grace from now on.
That's a bit different since in this case neither side wanted to fight anymore So I think it was acceptable that they stopped to listen to the music instead - not realistic but not too cheesy either
Old 2010-03-25, 18:35   Link #1469
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Could well be an interpretation like that, but probably not in Japan. Fullmetal Alchemist did a good job of showing how people get on with life after doing terrible things, and Barefoot Gen was fairly lenient to the scientists who developed the atomic bomb, compared to the WWII Japanese leaders.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 19:09   Link #1470
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

Platoon 1121 Angels in spider tank: FIVE !!, Demon Hopkins' and his lumbering cans of death: ZERO !!! YAH !!! Take that !!! Demons are no match for Angels.
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 20:20   Link #1471
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
Could well be an interpretation like that, but probably not in Japan. Fullmetal Alchemist did a good job of showing how people get on with life after doing terrible things, and Barefoot Gen was fairly lenient to the scientists who developed the atomic bomb, compared to the WWII Japanese leaders.
Barefoot Gen?

Hah, thought that sounded familiar. Saw an excerpt in an essay. Oh and look, new english translation has a introduction by Art Spiegelmann.

You know while on WMDs, here's an interesting fact. Zyklon B (well-known for being the pesticide used in concentration camps) was developed at the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Physical Chemistry and Elektrochemistry led by a German-Jewish himself named Fritz Haber. Fritz Haber is known as the 'father of chemical warfare' for his contributions to WWI (obvious reasons). In regards to gas warfare, Faber notes "death was death, by whatever means it was inflicted". Ironic twist of fate?
Old 2010-03-25, 22:34   Link #1472
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypernova View Post
epic win...
Old 2010-03-25, 23:21   Link #1473
einhorn303

(Comparison of prototype and actual product versions by Furyu)

einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 02:50   Link #1474
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
I want this song ^
Without the lyrics

That's a bit different since in this case neither side wanted to fight anymore So I think it was acceptable that they stopped to listen to the music instead - not realistic but not too cheesy either
I like the French. But just a question.

Is the singer even a native speaker? Sounds weird like Misato's German.

But she still made a great effort and it just makes her even cooler.

Seriously, this should be the new military march for the US 1st Armoured Division. They rush in to shoot up the terrorists while AI JOU YUU JOU is playing at full blast.

AIJOU YUUJOU!!!

Last edited by NinjaYali; 2010-03-26 at 03:01.
Old 2010-03-26, 02:58   Link #1475
KrebMarkt
Never do well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
I want this song ^
Without the lyrics
As a French it leaves me shivering...
KrebMarkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 07:19   Link #1476
Revan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrebMarkt View Post
As a French it leaves me shivering...
No offence intended

NinjaYali said it right, it sounds a bit strange
Old 2010-03-26, 08:06   Link #1477
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Yet the name Matthieu Ladouce sounds like a French guy

Quote:

Seriously, this should be the new military march for the US 1st Armoured Division. They rush in to shoot up the terrorists while AI JOU YUU JOU is playing at full blast.

Adding humiliation to death. I like it
Old 2010-03-26, 08:51   Link #1478
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Yet the name Matthieu Ladouce sounds like a French guy

Yes it is.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 09:00   Link #1479
Hypernova

The OST was recorded back in Sep09 http://michiru-oshima.net/?p=428
Old 2010-03-26, 12:03   Link #1480
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Helvetia is Switzerland. Roman Empire is the Holy Roman Empire of the German People.

Meaning a Swiss-Japanese monoculture fighting a Indo-Aryan German monoculture controlled Europe.

Why the mix nationalities? An international force was formed in the old era to combat the birds that were exterminating humanity. They failed. Military survivors integrated with the native Europeans hence the strange mish-mash of culture we see.
I don't think that it could be Switzerland. There are more mountains in Switzerland and Switzerland does not border on the ocean. It would probably be in the southeast of France or one of the southwestern baltic countries. The landscape was a lot like some of the places that I traveled in Germany, but none of them bordered on the ocean either.

The 2nd DVD only episode should have a member of the Roman Army being stationed with the 1121'st as way for the Emperor to keep an eye on his fiancé and the spider tank. Then, when the Roman Soldier arrives, it is Aisha who has learned some of the local language. They could have her and Kanata diving down to view the skeleton.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, music, seinen, slice of life