AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-30, 23:12   Link #41
marvelB

Actually, I can see Luffy coping with his loss over the course of a mini-arc or two.... but said arcs wouldn't actually focus on him, that's all. Instead, they would focus on the rest of his crew's journeys to reunite with him, while we get occasional glimpses of Luffy fighting his personal demons and whatnot. I believe I made the comparison to Rurouni Kenshin before where Kenshin was in a similar state of shock as a result of Kaoru's (fake) death. During that time, we had a few mini-arcs that focused on the secondary characters with a few brief interludes of Kenshin's gradual recovery stuck in between (my favorite of those mini-arcs was Sanosuke's, BTW ). Maybe Oda could do something like that (in fact, I think that would make for some pretty awesome storytelling!).
Old 2010-03-30, 23:28   Link #42
james0246

^But, even if there was a mini-arc (Sanosuke's was everyone's favourite arc), and another half-dozen non-Kenshin chapters, Kenshin's recovery still only lasted 3 or so total chapters, which is, more or less, what I said .
Old 2010-03-30, 23:51   Link #43
marvelB

^Yeah, that's true, huh? Well either way, I'd still like to see Oda handle Luffy's recovery in that sort of approach.

Anyway, there's pics out. Looking at Shanks' crew, he certainly does seem to have some distinctive guys in there aside from Beckman, Yasopp, and Lucky (I like the designs of the guy with the monkey and the guy standing next to him with the dragon tattoo ). He also seems to imply that he's willing to fight against either warring side that refuses to surrender, not the marines alone.......

BTW, it turns out that it was Blackbeard who said that now wasn't the time to fight Shanks, not the other way around. Mihawk pretty much left the battlefield since he only agreed to fight against Whitebeard. As for Akainu, he's looking mighty pissed, but otherwise he hasn't done anything this chapter, as was pointed out before. Also, I love how Moria still looks gleeful throughout this whole affair (still hoping he takes Oars with him as a souvenir....).

Of course, the highlight of the chapter for me is Buggy putting down Shanks. However, he also decides to stick with him since he knows that he'll be safer by his side. Yep, that clown certainly knows how to boost his reputation, doesn't he? Oh, and something I found quite interesting: The splash page artwork features Coby, Helmeppo, and Tashigi. I think this is the first we've had a non-SH splash page artwork (at least, if you don't count Vivi). I'm still hoping we get the new ministory next chapter, though (preferably one that's centered around Foxy).....

So yeah, the storyline is pretty much over, now. Looks like we'll have a lot to speculate about during the break......
Old 2010-03-31, 02:03   Link #44
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
I'm really anxious to see what new the bounties will be for Luffy and everyone else.
Old 2010-03-31, 02:07   Link #45
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Seriously Buggy needs to die.
Old 2010-03-31, 02:23   Link #46
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post

D'aaaw, Buggy loves you too, paradox13.
Old 2010-03-31, 02:44   Link #47
james0246

Quote:
Great tension, dramatic or otherwise, is unsustainable without moments to break the atmosphere/mood, and Buggy creates wonderful break points for the various tense scenes he ends up running in to.

In other words, Buggy owns all! I cannot imagine this series without characters like Buggy literally just wandering around as if they were escaped mental patients.
Old 2010-03-31, 03:54   Link #48
Orath
Gunpla newborn

Send a message via MSN to Orath
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Great tension, dramatic or otherwise, is unsustainable without moments to break the atmosphere/mood, and Buggy creates wonderful break points for the various tense scenes he ends up running in to.

In other words, Buggy owns all! I cannot imagine this series without characters like Buggy literally just wandering around as if they were escaped mental patients.
Totally agree, Buggy's scenes in the recent arks, were of the best funny ones in the series. Add to that, it just achieves a special level of depth to the whole setting of this war.

Buggy go go go
Old 2010-03-31, 03:59   Link #49
nicepace
The congueror Of The EAST

^heh hes not funny... He is the main villain of these story... wkwkwk

Quote:
Hehaha... Can't wait to see it...
but U gotta kill ODA Sensei First...
Old 2010-03-31, 04:32   Link #50
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
I'm really really curious about Buggy's new bounty and luffy's
I wonder if they are going to try to Dampen the rise in Luffy's bounty by saying buggy or black beard broke out all of those criminals. Other wise his post enies lobby arc

includes 1. Defeating Moria (Undisclosed)
2. Punching a Celestial Dragon
3. Breaking into Enies Lobby
4. Breaking out 500+ Prisoners
5. Widespread Knowledge about his relationship with dragon

Buggy's crimes
1. Being on Gold Rogers Crew
2. Accomplice in Prison Break
3. Being associated with Red Hair.

So my conservative guesses is luffy is 500,000,000 and Buggy move to 100,000
I don't know what a liberal guess would be.
Old 2010-03-31, 04:37   Link #51
FullMetalKid

I liked how this ended. It wasn't dull at all. If anything i would to see which story will be told next. There is so many ways to approach the next arc. Waiting for it is unbearable.
Old 2010-03-31, 05:15   Link #52
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Comparison pic of Shanks' crew

Interesting to see how much they changed (or didn't change) over the years. I like how Lucky is still eating meat even in that situation.

So the war is over now... it did seem a bit soon to see Shanks and his crew in action. I like the fact WB and Ace's bodies are given to him, now we can be 100% sure they still stay dead and won't come back as Zombies/Pacifistas/whatever. I would have hated seeing that.
Old 2010-03-31, 05:32   Link #53
Crimson Reaper

Actually I've had a thought. Assuming that Shabondy Island was the only place the execution was being broadcasted. (I honestly can't remember if they said it was or not). The seeing how everyone left before Shanks turned up, then won't the Marines try and claim Luffy is dead while secretly trying to track him down to finish him off? That would be an interesting twist, the Strawhats picking up newspapers with the headline

"Brothers Firefist Ace and Strawhat Luffy killed at Marineford!!" Along with pictures of Luffy looking near death.
Imagine the reactions to that. Of course the crew wouldn't believe it and try and find Luffy but fighthing their doubts would be interesting.

Of course this depends on how many places the execution was broadcasted at.
Old 2010-03-31, 10:33   Link #54
james0246

^There were some brief images of various islands celebrating/mourning Whitebeard's death, so, presumably, the entire war has been on continuous broadcast...all thanks to Buggy .
Old 2010-03-31, 11:23   Link #55
marvelB

Wow, I hadn't noticed that most of those guys in Shanks' crew were already shown that early in the series. Really goes to show how far ahead Oda plans for his characters (like Rayleigh, for instance)......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I like the fact WB and Ace's bodies are given to him, now we can be 100% sure they still stay dead and won't come back as Zombies/Pacifistas/whatever. I would have hated seeing that.

Well... heh, I already stated my opinion on the Whitebeard zombie matter before. Honestly, I'm not too fussed about Ace (though I would also prefer for him to stay dead, as well). Also, this reminds me: I'm not exactly fond of the idea of Luffy gaining Ace's fruit in a similar manner to Blackbeard with Newgate's. I just feel that making Luffy into a half-Logia after all the buildup we had about his Haki would be a major cop-out on Oda's part (to all you Jojo fans, imagine if Luffy had Gold Experience Requiem. That's how I feel about the matter).....

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^There were some brief images of various islands celebrating/mourning Whitebeard's death, so, presumably, the entire war has been on continuous broadcast...all thanks to Buggy .

Heh, yep. Buggy's followers kept them cameras rolling even after Sengoku had cut the broadcast. The government would have a heck of a hard time trying to cover up something that was clearly shown on live television.
Old 2010-03-31, 12:51   Link #56
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Well... heh, I already stated my opinion on the Whitebeard zombie matter before. Honestly, I'm not too fussed about Ace (though I would also prefer for him to stay dead, as well). Also, this reminds me: I'm not exactly fond of the idea of Luffy gaining Ace's fruit in a similar manner to Blackbeard with Newgate's. I just feel that making Luffy into a half-Logia after all the buildup we had about his Haki would be a major cop-out on Oda's part (to all you Jojo fans, imagine if Luffy had Gold Experience Requiem. That's how I feel about the matter).....
I don't really like the idea of Luffy getting Ace's fruit either. But to me, it would be more fanservice than a major cop-out, it's not like having the fire logia would make anywhere near as broken as GER (that's pretty much impossible ). And at the end of the day, that fruit would be mostly useless against Teach anyway. Haki is the way to go to beat him and the other major players, and I'm sure that's where Oda is headed with Luffy's development.
Old 2010-03-31, 13:13   Link #57
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
There's a break after this chapter, so don't worry.

For 1 at least, Jinbei is almost as injured as Luffy. He's on Law's ship being treated. We probably won't see the Straw Hats reunited immediately, and there is always the chance Shanks will die. I expect, however, that if Shanks is to die, it'll be after Luffy returns the hat properly.
If the crew is to be reunited one by one, Oda better start with Nami and leave Boa Hancock out of Luffy's quest to do so until every member is reunited.
Old 2010-03-31, 13:34   Link #58
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I don't really like the idea of Luffy getting Ace's fruit either. But to me, it would be more fanservice than a major cop-out, it's not like having the fire logia would make anywhere near as broken as GER (that's pretty much impossible ). And at the end of the day, that fruit would be mostly useless against Teach anyway. Haki is the way to go to beat him and the other major players, and I'm sure that's where Oda is headed with Luffy's development.

Well... true, Luffy obtaining a Logia wouldn't make him nearly as broken as GER (that stand was practically GODLIKE ), but it would still make him plenty overpowered, nonetheless. I mean, just imagine him using his Logia powers in conjunction with his Gears (Gomu Gomu no Jet Gigant Hiken, anyone? ) I just feel that giving Luffy a Logia fruit after all the hardships he's endured to develop his Haki would be too cheap a move for Oda, hence why I called it a cop-out (though fanservice wouldn't be an inaccurate description, either). I mean heck, that's about as bad as the idea of Usopp or Nami eating a DF themselves (which a lot of people actually considered around the time of the Enies Lobby storyline, if you can believe it)......
Old 2010-03-31, 13:54   Link #59
viperx116

What was Shank's apologizing for near the last panel?
Old 2010-03-31, 13:59   Link #60
james0246

I don't want anyone else to have a second (or third, as might be the case) Devil Fruit. If Luffy doesn't struggle, then his story, his dream, is pointless.

That being said, Gear grants Luffy the ability to stretch through time, so Luffy is already powerful enough without needing another Devil Fruit....
Closed Thread