AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-04-02, 12:50   Link #24141
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post

O Take the stairs....she's a lady, and I can just see her sauntering down the stairs to taunt Fate .
LOL so true :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I hate QTEs. Ugh.

Western!Nanoha is a good enough idea to stand on its own as an original work, rather than a snarl-of-copyright-violations fanfic crossover thing. You'd just have to remove the bits of MGLN and Outlaw Star...
Never play Dante's Inferno. It is 80% QTEs (which is where this idea came from hehe). It could be an original, but then again, most all fics could be.I don't like westerns, honestly, but this seems kind of fun. And don't forget the Trigun snips in it too :3

I'm doing Western!Nanoha for Allquall and Alavon :3
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 13:10   Link #24142
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I'm already pissed that the "Wiimake" of SH1 replaces the dark, spooky monster killing goodness with QTEs. ><
Old 2010-04-02, 13:14   Link #24143
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Spoiler for Western!Nanoha pt.1l:
Spoiler for Western!Nanoha pt.2:
X

A true hero understands the importance of a dramatic entrance in these situations.

Or she could be like me and fail to hit the button in time, trip over her own feet, and fall down the stairs.
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 15:35   Link #24144
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Was in a mood, and wrote this while listening to "Kings and Queens" by 30 Seconds To Mars. It made sense in my head, at least.

Spoiler for The Kings and Queens of Promise:
Quote:
I haven't heard any of the Sound Stages, so I wouldn't know any of that, and mostly since I was in a mood that kind of dictated what the characters were doing; though the main idea was supposed to be that Fate wasn't even giving them a chance to try and talk to her. But yeah, I didn't really give it much build-up or background, so I can understand how it's jarring.
It's an interesting piece, with RB Trademark's Angst, wich is always a plus on my book.

Though, I have to agree with Raiser in some points. Their reaction was a little overdramatic. But given that I did listened to the Sound Stages, I'm biased to say even that.

I guess that using only the anime, it can lead to something like that though, so there's no need to change anything.

Quote:
X What western hero doens't do this at least once is his lifetime?
sniperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 15:36   Link #24145
Kirika-chan
Fate's fan

I'll pick X too
I really can imagine Nanoha doing that ^^
Plus, it's so cool *-*
Kirika-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 16:54   Link #24146
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Was in a mood, and wrote this while listening to "Kings and Queens" by 30 Seconds To Mars. It made sense in my head, at least.

Spoiler for The Kings and Queens of Promise:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Very well done and all, but I just don't see why Fate would suddenly shun them like that. On Caro and Erio's part, they don't want to rely on Fate and cause trouble for her (whereas Fate wants them to rely on her), so if she's locked away doing work or whatever, I'm sure they'd miss her but I don't think they'd react that dramatically. They'd probably make attempts to talk to her if it was really that bad.

Then again most of their relationship development was in the 2nd StrikerS Sound Stage, so perhaps you haven't listened to that yet?

Anyways, like I said it's still well done and you did a good job conveying the emotions, I personally just can't see the characters doing this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
Hm, I might be biased since I'm already in the mindset after writing "Forever My Mother", but I can see Fate genuinely worrying about the dark things inside her head that Precia left her. I highly doubt that one motivational speech will knock her out of that, but at the same time I can't see Fate emo-ing over it (which I don't feel that she is in here, just...tired and hurt and wanting to avoid the conflicted emotions that she has) so the short time frame in the short works for me.

Hm, you make a good point on Erio and Caro's personalities, but I think that a sudden change in behaviour from Fate would still make them somewhat anxious...

Then again, I haven't listened to the Sound Stage, so maybe I'm totally off in terms of the nature of their relationship .
Quote:
I haven't heard any of the Sound Stages, so I wouldn't know any of that, and mostly since I was in a mood that kind of dictated what the characters were doing; though the main idea was supposed to be that Fate wasn't even giving them a chance to try and talk to her. But yeah, I didn't really give it much build-up or background, so I can understand how it's jarring.
Angst was good (though I found the choice to write in the present tense rather jarring--I'm a traditionalist, I'm afraid, when it comes to that), as was the happy ending.

I'd have to agree with both deathcurse and Raiser about the character personality comments. I can see Fate chewing over Jail's Hannibal Lecture in her mind after the battle (heck, she actually said while she was doing her power-up into Sonic Drive that she'd probably always have these moments of despair and self-doubt) and coming to the entirely wrong conclusions, but at the same time, Erio and Caro are pretty always trying to stand on their own two feet, not be a burden to the people who love and care for them, and generally pursue the same levels of overexaggerated maturity that every other member of the Nanohaverse cast possesses. It's largely Fate that wants them to have a normal, happy, fuzzy childhood life. So I can't see Erio and Caro getting worried and despondent unless they actually perceive that Fate is having trouble--and if they did get worried, they wouldn't be worried about their own life circumstances, but over Fate's emotional state. That's the one step that this story lacks, the scenes where Erio and Caro see Fate and think "What's wrong with Mom?"

As for the Sound Stages, since Nagumo has gotten them all translated and neatly collected in the Sound Stages Translation thread, it would be worth your while to step over and read through them. Not only are several of them entertaining, and others warm and fuzzy (though a few, particularly M1-3, are yawners...), they also provide considerable background information and story fodder that would be good for anyone to read through.

AtomicoX has also been posting the tracks of SSX subtitled, if you prefer to listen to what they're saying as well as the sound effects and so on while enjoying the story.

Quote:
I hate QTEs. Ugh.

Western!Nanoha is a good enough idea to stand on its own as an original work, rather than a snarl-of-copyright-violations fanfic crossover thing. You'd just have to remove the bits of MGLN and Outlaw Star...
Quote:
I'm already pissed that the "Wiimake" of SH1 replaces the dark, spooky monster killing goodness with QTEs. ><
Um...I followed that QTE stands for Quicktime Event, but, what is it? And...by SH1 do you mean the first Shadow Hearts game? As in, the best fusion of the horror and RPG genres ever created?
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 18:01   Link #24147
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
I'd have to agree with both deathcurse and Raiser about the character personality comments. I can see Fate chewing over Jail's Hannibal Lecture in her mind after the battle (heck, she actually said while she was doing her power-up into Sonic Drive that she'd probably always have these moments of despair and self-doubt) and coming to the entirely wrong conclusions, but at the same time, Erio and Caro are pretty always trying to stand on their own two feet, not be a burden to the people who love and care for them, and generally pursue the same levels of overexaggerated maturity that every other member of the Nanohaverse cast possesses. It's largely Fate that wants them to have a normal, happy, fuzzy childhood life. So I can't see Erio and Caro getting worried and despondent unless they actually perceive that Fate is having trouble--and if they did get worried, they wouldn't be worried about their own life circumstances, but over Fate's emotional state. That's the one step that this story lacks, the scenes where Erio and Caro see Fate and think "What's wrong with Mom?"
Yeah, unfortunately, I only realized this after I'd finished working through it and started to post, which is part of why I don't like writing very much at all when I need to vent. It turns out way too weird and OOC when I actually look back and compare it to how the characters would really react to the situation. One of those annoying habits I have to learn how to kick somehow.

Quote:
As for the Sound Stages, since Nagumo has gotten them all translated and neatly collected in the Sound Stages Translation thread, it would be worth your while to step over and read through them. Not only are several of them entertaining, and others warm and fuzzy (though a few, particularly M1-3, are yawners...), they also provide considerable background information and story fodder that would be good for anyone to read through.

AtomicoX has also been posting the tracks of SSX subtitled, if you prefer to listen to what they're saying as well as the sound effects and so on while enjoying the story.
... *whines*

Guess I have no choice with that. I've been putting it off for the longest time, but I suppose I'm at a point where I really need to read through them to understand things. I was hoping I could get away with not looking through them or listening to them, but it seems that bad habit caught up with me.
Old 2010-04-02, 18:25   Link #24148
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

ficficficficfic

Moar fic.

false light
A false light casts a darker Shadow...

Spoiler for false light - chapter 02:

Spoiler for author's notes:

Also on FF.net as well.

Last edited by synaesthetic; 2010-04-04 at 13:21.
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 18:56   Link #24149
Jimmy C

One problem I have is at the start of the part. Why was Agent Stele's case so important to her own situation that she risked walking into Main HQ for more information?
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 19:24   Link #24150
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post

Um...I followed that QTE stands for Quicktime Event, but, what is it? And...by SH1 do you mean the first Shadow Hearts game? As in, the best fusion of the horror and RPG genres ever created?
Nerd to the rescue!

A quicktime event is when the game requires you to give some controller input during what is, usually, otherwise an uncontrolled segment like a cutscene. Notable in that they usually occur with little-to-no warning, and it can be terribly jarring to be watching a cutscene and suddenly the game goes 'PRESS X RIGHT NOW!'. Worse in that you usually die if you screw it up. Or at least you did in Resident Evil 4, which is where I've seen most of mine.

And I'm pretty sure the 'SH' here is Silent Hill, not Shadow Hearts. Which is a crying shame, because a remake of Shadow Hearts 1 with better graphics and some decent voice acting would make my life...
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 19:28   Link #24151
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
Nerd to the rescue!

A quicktime event is when the game requires you to give some controller input during what is, usually, otherwise an uncontrolled segment like a cutscene. Notable in that they usually occur with little-to-no warning, and it can be terribly jarring to be watching a cutscene and suddenly the game goes 'PRESS X RIGHT NOW!'. Worse in that you usually die if you screw it up. Or at least you did in Resident Evil 4, which is where I've seen most of mine.

And I'm pretty sure the 'SH' here is Silent Hill, not Shadow Hearts. Which is a crying shame, because a remake of Shadow Hearts 1 with better graphics and some decent voice acting would make my life...
FF8 had some of these too, if I remember correctly, like the time where Squall have to crawl his way out of the Desert Prison. If you go to the wrong side is Game Over.
Old 2010-04-02, 20:03   Link #24152
Allquall
The Not-So-Kind One

Send a message via AIM to Allquall
Quote:

"Western!Nanoha pt.2"
Quicktime Event!

Press X to jump over the rail and land on the bar below
Press O to take the stairs
[/SPOILER]
Why would they have to pay for water? Is the water in this world contaminated?

O
Spoiler for My reason why:

Yes, I have seen Tombstone more times than I can count.
Allquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 20:12   Link #24153
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allquall View Post
Why would they have to pay for water? Is the water in this world contaminated?
As the little exchange Nanoha and Yuuno had this last part lampshades, the recent war made everyone affraid of anything remotely technological, and running water in a hotel room would classify for it. At least, that's what I understood from the fic until now.

Of course, the war could have contaminated the water too.
Old 2010-04-02, 20:27   Link #24154
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
One problem I have is at the start of the part. Why was Agent Stele's case so important to her own situation that she risked walking into Main HQ for more information?
Read the first chapter and you'll know!

Spoiler for tl;dr version, chapter 1 spoilers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
Nerd to the rescue!

It's more like "PRESS X TO NOT DIE!" but yeah. And yes, SH1 = Silent Hill. The Wii remake of SH1 is basically an uninteractive mess of cutscenes and QTEs.
Old 2010-04-02, 20:30   Link #24155
Allquall
The Not-So-Kind One

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperk View Post
As the little exchange Nanoha and Yuuno had this last part lampshades, the recent war made everyone afraid of anything remotely technological, and running water in a hotel room would classify for it. At least, that's what I understood from the fic until now.

Of course, the war could have contaminated the water too.
If people are afraid of technology, why are they buying water bottled from an unknown point of origin? If the world is presumably a wastleland, doesn't it make more sense to have a reliable filtration system then have to travel from town to town for water? Outlaws and those who chase them would be better off with their own methods of securing necessities.
Old 2010-04-02, 21:13   Link #24156
LesChaussettes

O I'd say. Might as well stroll downstairs slowly and make a dramatic entrance.
LesChaussettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 21:16   Link #24157
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allquall View Post
If people are afraid of technology, why are they buying water bottled from an unknown point of origin? If the world is presumably a wastleland, doesn't it make more sense to have a reliable filtration system then have to travel from town to town for water? Outlaws and those who chase them would be better off with their own methods of securing necessities.
Water being a commodity in the wasteland, it's certain that people would stay around places where there's drinkable water. Said water doesn't need to be bottled techologically though, as anyone can sink a bottle in a river (or another font of fresh water) and fill it up, then sell, or keep, or drink.

I agree with you that would make more sense to have a reliable filtration system, but since it would be somewhat technological, they would be still shunned in some cities and not in others. It's the whole process of recivilize the people after the war. It's the common phobia that comes after an accident. You can develop hydrophobia after almost drown, or claustrophobia after being locked inside an elevator without air for too long.

To me it seems like people would still look weird at anything that looked like one of the machines used in the war. To me is possible that in some places, a few people didn't saw the machines with so much fear and showed that to the others. Teached them that there some things that they didn't have to be affraid.
Old 2010-04-02, 21:31   Link #24158
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi

To answer the questions, Nanoha paid extra for a room that had running water, as some towns still don't have it. The water isn't polluted, but there aren't many water plants/ect to make it a "common day thing". Same with electricity and a few other things like transportation. Lost technology is still around, but for the most part will be things like magical artifacts, weaponry, and things that people would consider "bad" because of the war. Consider final Fantasy X for those of you who played it. It's THERE, but there are those who use it, those who condemn it, and the mass of people who "accept parts of it" like running water. I made it a world that contradicts itself because that's how humans are. People say technology is bad, but accept electricity and running water for their own needs. There are Hippocrates, extremist, and casuals... But that isn't the focus of this story :3

Looks like Nanoha pressed X.

Spoiler for Western!Nanoha pt.3:

Somehow, about half way through, I remembered my dad's old Louis Lamour books on tapes. I rode with him a lot while he made deliveries and I probably heard over... at least 30 of them (more than once). So half way I started writing it like I was listening to the book on tape... I wonder if my tone of writing changed to reflect that?
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 22:14   Link #24159
Allquall
The Not-So-Kind One

Quote:
Somehow, about half way through, I remembered my dad's old Louis Lamour books on tapes. I rode with him a lot while he made deliveries and I probably heard over... at least 30 of them (more than once). So half way I started writing it like I was listening to the book on tape... I wonder if my tone of writing changed to reflect that?
Loved those! Kids these days don't know about entertainment on long trips before gameboys and dvds...and cars...and electric lights.
Old 2010-04-02, 22:47   Link #24160
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

Okay, little fluff idea I had going ever since I finished reading a certain fic.

Spoiler for Strongest:

Spoiler for Author Notes:

After reading that fic, I HAD to write something about it to shout out to it.

Last edited by sniperk; 2010-04-03 at 02:47. Reason: Correction pointed by deathcurse

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha