AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-05-02, 09:19   Link #1
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Tablet PCs and Electronic Slates

I am thinking of buying one. Any suggestions?

The two basics I need are lightweight and strong enough processor because I have got a weak left hand due to an old injury.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 13:29   Link #2
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Giving us your intended usage would be helpful...
Old 2010-05-02, 14:24   Link #3
Kudryavka

If you get a tablet, don't you dare get one that's not Wacom. I'm serious.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 19:31   Link #4
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Lenovo had a good Tablet PC, ThinkPad X201s which is pretty light, has a Core i7 processor, but they cost alot (around $1500k)... and they currently sold out on them...
Old 2010-05-02, 22:15   Link #5
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I would recommend you stay away from consumer oriented tablets (I think hp has one) because they tend to suck

I would recommend the Thinkpad X201t since it's lightweight, durable, and has a speedy Core i7
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 07:15   Link #6
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I am thinking of buying one. Any suggestions?

The two basics I need are lightweight and strong enough processor because I have got a weak left hand due to an old injury.
I myself am looking at some of Sony's selections like the new Z-series in this space, but aside from getting an idea on how you are planning to use the hardware, how much are you willing to pay also? If you're doing just the basics while complementing your main PC, the usual Atom (or equivalent) processor would be enough, and you don't need to shell out the cash for an i5/i7-based laptop.

Also, when you say that you have a weak left hand, I'm guessing something even as light like an iPad is out of the question - or at least you're not looking to hold the hardware in one hand while typing with the other? I remember reading that people couldn't hold one in one hand for too long earlier...

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 08:42   Link #7
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Giving us your intended usage would be helpful...
Right! I forgot about that!

Basically to :

1. Draw (Adobe/Paint)
2. Trade (MetaTrader 4, being a tech idiot I had trouble using other platforms)
3. Read (manga mostly)
4. Play Windows Games (I wanna try FPS games on a tablet PC....sounds fun to aim with a stylus). But I am a RTS inclined gamer so......
5. Watch anime.
6. Sound editing (Frootyloops and Audition)

I am looking at illustrator/animator oriented tablets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Lenovo had a good Tablet PC, ThinkPad X201s which is pretty light, has a Core i7 processor, but they cost alot (around $1500k)... and they currently sold out on them...
They cost over 2k in my region....due to supply-demand issues (low demand).

Besides I can't find any of those in the local PC stores, and importing them will result in an increase of 50% in the abovementioned cost.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
Also, when you say that you have a weak left hand, I'm guessing something even as light like an iPad is out of the question - or at least you're not looking to hold the hardware in one hand while typing with the other? I remember reading that people couldn't hold one in one hand for too long earlier...
Unless I can walk into Triumph and buy a bra, then repurpose it as a harness for my tablet, I don't think I can get anywhere.

The reason why I want to hold it is because I don't want to miss the major trading hours, like 8am in the morning here (when the NY market closes) and 9pm at night (when the NY market opens) when I am on public transport.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-05-03, 17:20   Link #8
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Thinkpad X201s Tablet, no contest.
Old 2010-05-03, 18:02   Link #9
Random32
Also a Lolicon

what with all the X201s Tablet recommendations? it doesn't exist
last time I checked, Lenovo had the X201, the X201s, and the X201 Tablet

if you can't afford the X201 Tablet, the Thinkpad X200 and X61 Tablets are also very good
buy one used off of ebay or something

btw, unless your games are very old, don't hope to play any of them on a tablet
I don't know of any tablet with a discrete card and the Intel Integrated Graphics just plain suck
Old 2010-05-04, 04:07   Link #10
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Thinkpad X201s Tablet, no contest.
Is it released yet? Most sites I went to point it out as "coming soon".

Old 2010-05-04, 10:20   Link #11
LynnieS

The forum on Lenovo has a rumor/hearsay that a shortage of the i7 chip is causing the X201S to be pull from ordering, but the guy isn't sharing proof. There is, however, no ETA as to when it will be returned for ordering. Lenovo's X201 tablet seems to be running low in stock as well; I haven't been able to find one available on-line yet.

Dell's XT2 looks to be pretty good also, but at US$2000 or so, it might actually be sold at an even higher price where you are.

If you're set on a tablet PC - and if you're going to use it on public transportation - I'd agree with synaesthic's choice, and it also has the usual wi-fi and PC card access, which if your area doesn't have city-wide wi-fi, would be good for an air-based modem. You might have to wait awhile, though. Light laptops would be easier to find, but on the train or bus, using one would generally not be good.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 20:21   Link #12
Random32
Also a Lolicon

if you aren't willing to pay for a Thinkpad X201 Tablet

if you are willing to give up:
-battery life
-performance
-a bit of screen real estate
-a higher end version of Windows
-probably a bit of durability and reliability

http://www.thinkpads.com/2010/05/03/...t-netbook-424/

I wouldn't normally recommend a consumer tablet and netbook tablets would probably be worse. but hey, $424 is a great deal.
Old 2010-05-05, 00:00   Link #13
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I don't mind getting a thinkpad x201s. I already have an i7 and I am not planning to sell it for anything less powerful.

The problem is, it is either out of stock, or the vendor has never heard of it. So much for Harvey Norman salespeople.

Anymore suggestions that are close? Let's say the primary functions I want are the first 2, drawing and trading.

Old 2010-05-05, 06:27   Link #14
Alchemist007
*Author

Don't know about trading but if you want some quality drawing I'd recommend a Wacom.
Old 2010-05-05, 08:38   Link #15
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

MT4 is a very simplistic platform, but since the stock market responds very sensitively to the million of players in the world, I need a fast processor and plenty of RAM to make split second decisions which cost hundreds of dollars.

Although I am on paper trading now, I am weaning out of in somewhere in June/July after I generate enough capital to start doing real time trading.

Old 2010-05-05, 11:37   Link #16
Sides

Maybe have a look at the HP tablets, like the touchSmart tm2(t)
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 15:03   Link #17
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

The Touchsmart tm2 (CULV version) can be had with a Mobility Radeon 4550 (I think) GPU, so very light gaming could be done on it. But the other tablets all pretty much have crappy Intel IGPs.
Old 2010-05-05, 18:20   Link #18
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
The Touchsmart tm2 (CULV version) can be had with a Mobility Radeon 4550 (I think) GPU, so very light gaming could be done on it. But the other tablets all pretty much have crappy Intel IGPs.
I had mentioned this in the previous thread... But lately, HP's build quality on their computers went down in recent year, so be weary.

I think this will be a little heavier than the thinkpad, but it has a gpu.... Ahhh... Tradeoffs...

Last edited by chikorita157; 2010-05-05 at 20:26.
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 18:55   Link #19
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Maybe have a look at the HP tablets, like the touchSmart tm2(t)
I would be ware of hp, or any consumer laptop, if i were you
build quality is just passable

SaintessHeart, have you tried lenovo's website yet?