AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you let your kids [12 and under] watch FMA?
Yes 187 68.25%
No 87 31.75%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-02, 15:30   Link #21
Yoska
フランキー

It's a cartoon. So yeah I would let my kids watch FMA.
Old 2004-09-02, 17:17   Link #22
Grona
Big Damit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoska
It's a cartoon. So yeah I would let my kids watch FMA.
cartoon?
Old 2004-09-02, 17:23   Link #23
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grona
cartoon?
Yeah, a cartoon.

In North America animations are called cartoons...
In Japan animations are called anime...

Different names, same object.
Old 2004-09-02, 19:08   Link #24
crazyXsunshine

i dunno...

if some younger kids watched it,
i don't think a lot of them would really understand the deeper meanings and themes.

perhaps it'd just be a loss...

but if they could, i don't think it'd be that big an issue.

blood and gore... dunno. look at HALO and how those little midgets are eating that up.

and some other random bimbo pop stars in the music industry.
Old 2004-09-03, 04:06   Link #25
Gravi-T
Rockin' Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Yeah, a cartoon.

In North America animations are called cartoons...
In Japan animations are called anime...

Different names, same object.
Well, no... Japanese animation is called anime in America too. That's why there are so many anime-conventions and not cartoon-conventions in America.
So, it's an anime, not a cartoon. I would call all American animation cartoons.

Anyway, I would like to go on with what pathyfinder wrote the previous page...
If you sit beside your kids while watching FMA, would you let them watch it THEN?
I would probably be beside them explaining what's happening all the time, like pathyfinder was saying about the dead squirrel. If you're there to explain the events in the show, they'll probably understand it much easier.

Man, kids are fun! Although I don't have much experience with them (except cousins, Tamagotchi or Giga-pet, and I guess... raising Pokémon), but it would interesting to mold a human mind like we actually do with children.
Old 2004-09-03, 10:33   Link #26
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravi-T
Well, no... Japanese animation is called anime in America too. That's why there are so many anime-conventions and not cartoon-conventions in America.
So, it's an anime, not a cartoon. I would call all American animation cartoons.
Japanese animation is called 'anime' to make the distinction of where it came from. Regardless of what you call it, it is still a motion picture made from a series of drawings simulating motion by means of slight progressive changes in the drawings (aka. cartoon or animation). The terms are synonymous in this instance given that we all know what anime is the shortened form of.

I feel theres more to it than not wanting the children to see the violence or wanting to protect them from it. I'd much rather children learn about these things through a means other than something they can watch on Saturday morning (Yes I know the show doesn't air on Saturday mornings, but you get the point). Parents, as a whole, already use television as an over glorified babysitter choosing to let their children sit in front of it for hours on end instead of being good parents and spending time with the child. What comes next when we decide to let cartoons teach our children about death in a relatively impersonal mannor? Will the 'talk' become a documentary they can watch on PBS/BBC instead of from people that can interpet and better answer their questions?

It's about, atleast to me, keeping thing personal in an increasingly impersonal world instead of the desensitizing results that come from over use of television as our children's educators.
Old 2004-09-03, 13:43   Link #27
Yoska
フランキー

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grona
cartoon?
People call it anime so they could hide the fact that they are watching cartoons.

anime = cartoon = anime

There are some good american cartoons too but it's not fashionable.
Old 2004-09-03, 17:49   Link #28
Feral

I watched Evangelion when I was 7 or 8? I'm not that messed up and NGE had much more sexual content too. I think I'd let my kids watch it, of course they likely wouldn't understand anything at the time. I grew up seeing (or mostly paying attention to) animes like Ninja Scroll and Street Fighter. I was probably one of the least violent kids, even though I'd sometimes get bullied the most often. By the way, if your wondering I'm 13.

I can think of American cartoons I'd show a kid, probably videos by Don Bluth like 'Secret of NIMH' and 'All Dogs Go to Heaven'. I think it was his only animated children's film but I loved Simon Wells' 'Balto'. It seems that most good animations are book adaptations ('Redwall', hard to find network that has it with a regular time slot) and movies ('Iron Giant' and a lot of other Disney, Pixar, and WB) I also regret not having the Chronicles of Narnia as reading material growing up. I just realized how far I've strayed from the topic

[rant]
I really hate the censorship that has come to be in North America parents are too busy working to 'help' their kids be in a world that they deem suitable, meanwhile the children they're fighting for don't see them often and get raised by TV and/or babysitters who are likely strangers to the parental units. I get the feeling parents don't trust their kids judgement, which they should if they think they raised them right.

My older sister often tells me about her childhood and I'm envious. Hell, I was sitting in the hall talking with my friends a 12 year old with a hickey passed by. I did a school program where the highest grade would help kindergarteners with their projects and little girls' idols are Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears, they're wearing make-up and nail polish, have beads in their hair, wearing suprisingly little in a Canadian autum. It makes me sad. Really, I think childhood has lost it's innocence.
[/rant]

Wow...longest post I've ever typed, I think. Just much about nothing though :P

[EDIT: Venting makes me type worse than I already do!]
Old 2004-09-03, 19:07   Link #29
Wilcon

Send a message via ICQ to Wilcon Send a message via MSN to Wilcon
Some parts of the anime is abit too mature to be watched by children under the age of 12 I think. So (if I had children) I don't think i would let them watch it, but then again it depends. Maybe I would, maybe not, I'm not sure since I don't have kids(an will not have for along time ahead).
Old 2004-09-04, 00:07   Link #30
muramasa007

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by inu-fma88fan
well i would say no not cause teh violance and gore but the fact that most kids won't get the meaning or the theme or the show. they would probably prefere more action too. and this alchemy theroy stuff and deep complicated relationship might make the anime look boring.. but hey i don't have kids so i don't really have a say

but once the kids are mature enough to fully enjoy fma, i will gladly show it too them^^
I think that kids of all ages could watch FMA but if they start acting strange and think taht alchemy is real then that is a problem. but y should fma be licensed to cartoon network? censoring the show would take out a lot of teh story plot since most of it has blood and violence!
Old 2004-09-04, 03:28   Link #31
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muramasa007
I think that kids of all ages could watch FMA but if they start acting strange and think taht alchemy is real then that is a problem. but y should fma be licensed to cartoon network? censoring the show would take out a lot of teh story plot since most of it has blood and violence!
Alchemy is a theoretical possibilty (it's possible on paper atleast). The problem lies in the incredibly complex quantum machanics and manipulation needed to pull it off. Also, Cartoon Network is going to show Fullmetal Alchemist in the Adult Swim block which means editing and censoring will be kept to a minimum.
Old 2004-09-04, 03:44   Link #32
Lunas
Enraged elf lover

Send a message via ICQ to Lunas Send a message via AIM to Lunas Send a message via MSN to Lunas
well if i had kids it would depend how old they are and how they responded to certian things like blood and bad words and stuff but FMA probably would not be some thing i would let them watch unless they were a little older and understood things like blood and death and that they shouldnt act out what they see.

Last edited by Lunas; 2004-09-04 at 03:57.
Old 2004-09-04, 06:47   Link #33
DeluxSkillz

there is absolutely nothing wrong with letting children watch this anime, if you raise your children well they won't turn out to be serial killers because of a cartoon c'mon it's not REAL i've watched bloodier things then this when i was only six years old ANIME will not corrupt childrens minds, people dying is a part of life they'll have to deal with it and by watching anime most of the time they can actually learn something from it too anyone who wouldn't let their children watch is an ignorant fool because i'm damn sure most of you would've been pissed if your parents wouldn't let you watch a show you liked because it was too violent so why stop your own children...children don't turn violent because of tv shows they turn violent because they have bad parents
Old 2004-09-04, 07:37   Link #34
FlyByNite

12 years old? Hell my parents let my brother and me watch movies like Nightmare on Elm Street before we were 10 and we never freaked out or chopped up people

Although I'm not sure what my brother has been up too...

I'd say FMA is ok for the normal 10 year old. That's what, 5th grade? That's fine. It's not too gorey or anything.

And we're not talking about it being like Elfen Lied or Narutaru or anything.
Old 2004-09-04, 08:49   Link #35
anbu_KaKashi

In my honest opinion FMA is not THAT gory... there are gory moments throughout the anime, but that goes the same for DBZ. The main difference between the two animes is that FMA has a deeper plot and also the reasons for the violence is usually explained.

So my opinion is that..I would honestly let my kids watch the anime regardless of their age. Knowing my younger cousin and me at a younger age it wouldn't matter if there was blood or gore... if at the time i couldn't comprehend the plot i would grow bored of the plot and just put off the show completely. (i.e. I saw yu yu hakusho when I was 8 years old, but at the time i didn't understand it. I hated the show. A few years later i rewatched the entire series.) I say most people should trust their kids judgement a bit more. Blood and gore isn't what hooks kids, anyone for that matter, to a tv show or movie. And besides... its a cartoon much better then like professional wrestling with REAL blood with REAL people.
Old 2004-09-04, 10:02   Link #36
realdeal
The Real Deal

Not allowed to watch ti'll 15? you crazy..their allowed to make babies at 16..lol. I watched terminator when I was 12 and much more violence, yet Im one of the most peaceful people I know unless provoked. I think people are too sensetive about this. Its just a show, most 12yr old kids have more knowledge and understanding than you think..not like their gonna go outside and perform a human transmutation. Id let 7 year olds watch it. Kids who go outside and perform dangerous stunts based on what they seen on TV are no more different than adult criminals with loosed heads. They dont represent the general population.
Old 2004-09-04, 15:43   Link #37
gangsta905_04
AnimeSuki's #1 criminal

Send a message via MSN to gangsta905_04
remember...there alotta cleavage too..esp wen ed grabs psiren's boob...nd while she unzips her shirt to do alchemy on the plant...also riza's *orgasm*, and izumis big hooters...
Old 2004-09-05, 00:06   Link #38
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
lol...there's not that much cleavage shown. Common, the shows about 2 guys....its not like Lust is the main character or something. But really, I can't even recall a time in FMA when they showed something sexually inappropriate. The whole part with ED and Psiren was merely some slap stick comedy....its not like he touched her chest on purpose or something.
Old 2004-09-05, 04:14   Link #39
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Aside from the violence and the boobies, the main issue for responsable parents is the genuine human emotional reaction to events shown by the main characters. This has the greatest impact because it tallies with the viewer's own emotions. When Ed and Al feel pain so do we, when Ed and Al feels anger and frustration so do we. In the first twenty or so episodes the Elrics go through a gamut of painful and challenging situations and they react to them with startling honesty. It is probably why 'grown ups' like FMA so much, because the characters are genuine despite the anime trappings.

A lot of sensitive kids will be thoroughly absorbed by FMA and parents should expect a lot of issues to be raised. Not just about the manner in which people die, but the issues of responsability surrounding those deaths...
Old 2004-09-05, 22:25   Link #40
SailorMoon4ever

Yes I woulnd't care about this series now ELFEN LIED thats another story.Wouldn't want my kids to come running to me about nightmares..
Closed Thread