AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-29, 19:15   Link #1
avmoghe

Episode 19 - Abyss of the Monster

Wow!! VERY good episode... One of the best, I would say. (A-kraze just released it)

I'll be back to comment on the content later... but for now, I'll say that I liked this MUCH better then the somewhat of a side-story in episode 18.

Also, the pacing of the episode seemed much better this time around for some reason (possibly because there was no repetition of the final scene of the previous episode before the opening credits). Maybe the manga readers can tell me if the episode covered more manga chapters this time around or something like that.

One other thing of note - the ending graphics changed... and have gotten even stranger.

Looking forward to episode 19... but, unfortunately, it looks like another side story type episode if the preview is any indication..
Old 2004-08-29, 23:16   Link #2
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

WOW The episode is the proof of Monster's magnificence at all extents!

Spoiler:

Monster is definetely the best anime of 2004.
Old 2004-08-30, 01:20   Link #3
BigFire

Episode 20 based on real events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
WOW The episode is the proof of Monster's magnificence at all extents!

Spoiler:

Monster is definetely the best anime of 2004.
The interviewed serial killer in this episode is a direct copy of Edmund Kemper III. This interview is very like a series of interview conducted by FBI Special Agent Robert Ressler (the creator of Behavior Science) in the mid 70s. Kemper is a hulking (6'9") man of extremely high intelligence. Ressler's book Whoever Fights the Monster has about 20 pages devoted to Kemper and takes its title from Nietzsche:
Quote:
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”
Oh, it's also where the title of this episode comes from.

Spoiler for the episode:
Old 2004-08-30, 01:25   Link #4
Silence_Fish

Send a message via AIM to Silence_Fish
Hey! What the hell happened to Dieter and the thief? Last we saw, they were both on the river boat escaping with Tenma. What gives?
Old 2004-08-30, 03:29   Link #5
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

Amazing episode, had me on edge the whole time, thought someone was going to die, or the glasses guy was going to bite someone with his big teeth. By now I give up on making speculations and predictions, Monster just keeps surprising me and the story is so well told so far, its much better than the poo i try to predict anyways .
Old 2004-08-30, 17:24   Link #6
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFire
The interviewed serial killer in this episode is a direct copy of Edmund Kemper III. This interview is very like a series of interview conducted by FBI Special Agent Robert Ressler (the creator of Behavior Science) in the mid 70s. Kemper is a hulking (6'9") man of extremely high intelligence. Ressler's book Whoever Fights the Monster has about 20 pages devoted to Kemper and takes its title from Nietzsche: Oh, it's also where the title of this episode comes from.

Spoiler for the episode:

Thanks! I read all about Edmund Kemper's life and must say it is just facinating. And yes I believe that this episode was sort of a rip off from those personalities that you pointed out.

So nobody can post a picture of our guy saying "Are you afraid?" Believe me you'll love to see how white-clean his teeth are
Old 2004-08-30, 21:31   Link #7
BigFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
Thanks! I read all about Edmund Kemper's life and must say it is just facinating. And yes I believe that this episode was sort of a rip off from those personalities that you pointed out.

So nobody can post a picture of our guy saying "Are you afraid?" Believe me you'll love to see how white-clean his teeth are
The final interview is sort of based on one conducted by FBI Special Agent Robert Ressler in which Ressler had concluded his interview, and tried to buzz prison guards to take him away. He buzz several times without anyone coming (and was getting a bit panicky). Kemper (whom by now have spend many years in this prison) told Ressler that guards are changing shift, and no one will be coming for 30 minutes. He also mentioned that he could break Ressler's neck with ease. (What's the prison going to do to him, he's already serving 8 life sentense...) He was joking.
Old 2004-08-31, 13:01   Link #8
Rhys
Interweb crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFire
The final interview is sort of based on one conducted by FBI Special Agent Robert Ressler in which Ressler had concluded his interview, and tried to buzz prison guards to take him away. He buzz several times without anyone coming (and was getting a bit panicky). Kemper (whom by now have spend many years in this prison) told Ressler that guards are changing shift, and no one will be coming for 30 minutes. He also mentioned that he could break Ressler's neck with ease. (What's the prison going to do to him, he's already serving 8 life sentense...) He was joking.
Wow, can't imagine how scary that can be. Reading it in fiction is one thing, but to actually be in a real life situation like that would just be horrid.
Old 2004-09-03, 05:21   Link #9
krem

quality episode, and unlike most series, this one seems to get better with each episode. It's tragic that a series like this won't get licenced or promoted outside of Japan, and that so few fans of fansubbing watch this. It just doesn't seem to appeal to those more interested in alien girls or some sort of magic slant. Ah well.
Old 2004-09-03, 05:32   Link #10
stpehen
kisses for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Animenation
We have heard rumors of American interest in this series. Can't say anything more.
If Master Keaton gets licensed, there's no reason why Monster can't be.
Old 2004-09-03, 10:53   Link #11
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

This episode was incredibly well-scripted. I had no idea where it was heading, but I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Spoiler:
Old 2004-09-04, 15:43   Link #12
NarutoHead

Send a message via AIM to NarutoHead
Ok, be warned, this is a ep 19 discussion thread, ep 19 has been out for a while, so I will have spoilers all over this. No manga spoilers though, just theories n stuff from what I've seen.

Quote:
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

hey does anyone else thinks that sounds like Tenma?

Also the Johans 2 personality thing. I think, Tenma is Johan's other personality or maybe it sounds better when I say Johan is Tenma's other personality.

there was an episode where Johan's sister says, "Johan has 2 personalities, so it's not your fault Dr. Tenma." and she cries a bit.

I really think that meant something more.

but the quote
Quote:
obvouis one, if anyone remembers the first ep, it had a scripture about a Monster from a chapter in the book of Johan.

I think is refering to Tenma vs Johan.
Old 2004-09-04, 18:48   Link #13
hooliganj
Team Player

The scripture was from the Book of Revelations, one of the fansubbers decided to change it up a bit. I agree that it is probably about Tenma and Johan, but the meaning is really more symbolic than anything else.

And that line is probably the most famous thing that Nietzsche ever wrote. I always understood that it served as the inspiration for the whole story of Monster in the first place.
Closed Thread