AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-07, 18:01   Link #21
NarutoHead

Send a message via AIM to NarutoHead
Quote:
Originally Posted by docomo153
i have to agree that monster is getting a bit stale. its a great show if you watch it one after another, but if you wait like a week between each new episode, the plot moves too slowly, and it may be a month before an interesting development comes up. whenever there is a bad episode thrown in, people get restless and begin to wonder if anything good will occur. i got that feeling especially after watching eps20 that was just released. what i'm going to do is stockpile some new episodes and like watch 15 episodes or so all during christmas break. there should be plenty of interesting developments by then....hopefully.

Ok, see that's what I meant. Seint Seiya I wasn't exactly trashing Monster. Just the type of show it is, 1 week waits REALLY hurt it.

Monster is what? 78 episodes? There's no way you can go through 78 episodes and not get stale. And NO i did not post this right after a bad episode(I haven't even seen 20 yet and I get the feeling its pretty unenventfull). I posted this after watching 19- an episode that most hold high.

Anyways, I also don't complain when there's no action in Monster because I don't exactly watch this show for action(If i want action I'll watch Naruto ).

And whoever else said Full Metal Alchemist is top 2 of ongoing series right now you are a God.

My top 2 would be FMA and Naruto. I thought nothing could dethrone Naruto at all, there were a couple 24ers that had their 15 seconds of fame(spotlights go to Love Hina, KGNE and Fumoffu. ahhh now if they were like 1 52 episode show, now that's a top 3 nominee) , but every week I wanted nothing but Naruto on thursdays.

Now, Naruto who? I want episode 47 to finish and I'm thinking about if I'm going to be able to learn Japanese fast enough so I can watch the RAW of 48 and not way the few extra days. I have to see how the last 5 episodes of Alchemist go. I'll have to wait a month for them too! Before I go off on a tangent I'll end it with FMA is poking at Naruto with it's 52 episodes.

For any show a week wait between each episode hurts it. But a show like Monster effects it the most because you have to go through episode by episode to piece little and little things together.

Frankly, I do not like Anime with 1 goal stated in the first few eps and then over 40+ episodes chasing that goal. It's very hard for me in anime(and even games) when I know what too look forward to WAY WAY past the begening.

Naruto with his dream of becoming Hokage wasn't at all bad because of the so many side conflicts that occur. It's had many climaxes and resolutions.

I'm really surprised that FMA gripped me. In the begening the brothers state what they want/their goal. And it wasn't really too big on subplots, yet I don't know, I kept watching.

I think what hurts Monster is the subplots only last 1 or 2 episodes at most so you don't get any sense of accomplishment after watching 10-20 episodes. He's still chasing after Johan.

*sorry if I typed too much i did try and edit it all, but I had to reply to 19 others.

*oh and please be delicate around spoilers I haven't yet seen Monster 20(and Alchemist 47 if that gets thrown in).
Old 2004-09-07, 21:57   Link #22
avmoghe

I did say in my opinion that FMA was one of the two best ongoing series, but I will also say that I absolutely despise Naruto..so I doubt you want to call me a god ... Its one of the few shows I've stopped watching without completing it. (others include Love Hina and G Gundam)
Old 2004-09-08, 01:03   Link #23
NarutoHead

Send a message via AIM to NarutoHead
Quote:
Originally Posted by avmoghe
I did say in my opinion that FMA was one of the two best ongoing series, but I will also say that I absolutely despise Naruto..so I doubt you want to call me a god ... Its one of the few shows I've stopped watching without completing it. (others include Love Hina and G Gundam)
see I was going to let Naruto slide because I can understand if people hate it because they get sick and tired of hearing its the best.

but then you mentioned Love Hina....

<--- that was the angriest face I could find.

WHY!?!?!?

jaa, its fine. Atleast we both like FMA. Not everyone likes the same thing. Tell me this though, with Love Hina- are there any other shows of the same genre you do like? comedy with romance.

I mean, I think it's a genre leader but if you're not into that genre then it makes perfect sense.

but its fine. FMA pwns, i watched 1-47 in a week. lol I dont know how I am going to do 5 episodes in over a month. Probably alot of pain and suffering.
Old 2004-09-08, 01:14   Link #24
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Any series freighted down with so much heavy worship is always due for a bit of bubble-bursting. I was reluctant to even watch this series because of all the hype, and frankly it's not one of the best series I've seen in the last couple of years. Every so often I watch a few episodes and then I am good for another month or so.

I just don't find the cardboard "Germany" of the story to be interesting in itself. The story often lacks subtlety - the characters say too much about why they do things. And there's nothing noteworthy about the storytelling - no "anime magic."

It's always fun to be a big fan of something but most people have no distinction between what they like and what's "great." Pointing at and jabbering about the manga is no use because the anime should sink or swim on its own...
Old 2004-09-08, 02:50   Link #25
avmoghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoHead
see I was going to let Naruto slide because I can understand if people hate it because they get sick and tired of hearing its the best.

but then you mentioned Love Hina....

<--- that was the angriest face I could find.

WHY!?!?!?

jaa, its fine. Atleast we both like FMA. Not everyone likes the same thing. Tell me this though, with Love Hina- are there any other shows of the same genre you do like? comedy with romance.

I mean, I think it's a genre leader but if you're not into that genre then it makes perfect sense.

but its fine. FMA pwns, i watched 1-47 in a week. lol I dont know how I am going to do 5 episodes in over a month. Probably alot of pain and suffering.
Whoa whoa wait wait... Just because I stopped watching Love Hina doesn't mean I despised it. I can understand why you got confused there... I probably shouldn't have mentioned the "stopped watching" part... since not every anime I've stopped watching is one that I've despised.

I've watched 10 episodes of love hina.. and I just thought it was repetitive... I would call it average for its slapstick humor.
Old 2004-09-08, 13:34   Link #26
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
It's always fun to be a big fan of something but most people have no distinction between what they like and what's "great." Pointing at and jabbering about the manga is no use because the anime should sink or swim on its own...
Just as a point of clarification, someone's definition of a "great" series does not rely on whether or not you personally like it.
Old 2004-09-08, 16:19   Link #27
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBrian
Just as a point of clarification, someone's definition of a "great" series does not rely on whether or not you personally like it.
Who, me? Some of my favorites are definitely not great series, they have too many weaknesses or they didn't set out to do much. And no matter how much I like them they don't get any better.
Old 2006-08-19, 03:41   Link #28
Mumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
This may simply have been ignorance on your part, but being that the anime is near-identical, pointing and jabbering about the manga makes perfect sense.
Closed Thread