AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-29, 00:55   Link #701
Cyclone
Transient Guest

uhm - the same person who scanlated 9 did volume 8. Simply search for his name - you should find another forum with links.
Old 2010-05-29, 03:55   Link #702
Joe_fh

Hey Ryus thanks for sharing those lines with us. They relally made me laugh
But really it's kind of sad that fan translations are better than official ones.

Oh can't wait for the next chapter...and no spoilers yet.
Old 2010-05-29, 07:45   Link #703
irvinethearcher
Angriest Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek927 View Post
No, that's the anime . Apparently, she simply didn't want to remember it, but now seemingly erased everything else because of the sheer pleasure of it(killing Teresa).
Let me cite gernot's translation of 103 here:
Amidst the pain humiliation and ecstasy i am starting to remember a certain memory that i had forgotten.
A sword smeared with blood and a single corpse, the head and torso separated.
And no matter what i do, i can't remember the face, as if it were more and more swallowed by darkness, the more desparately it try to remember it.
And at that time, as if i was being sucked into that deep darkness that gapes at the center of that face i lost my consciousness and all my memories.
Seriously what a terrible story:
Just because of a single memory i don't want to remember to try to erase it together with all the other memories...
Well i guess it probably means that it was that much of a despicable memory to me

So she feared theresa that much that she erased all her memories who were somehow connected to theresa
And instead of theresa's face she sees only swallowing darkness .
To me it is clear that she erased the memory because she was traumatized by fear and humiliation.
Old 2010-05-29, 09:20   Link #704
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Irvine, I was basically going off of memory . Apparently, Yagi is taking points from the anime . Hopefully, we get a bit more look at this in 104.

Actually, I think it's everyone wish to see what happened to Cynthia first .
Old 2010-05-29, 09:41   Link #705
Joe_fh

Or because in that sigle moment she lost her humanity and became a monster. It's quite reasonable to believe that someone would rather not remember the person who pushed them over the edge of himanity whatever the actual circumstences. Fear is indeed part of it but by far not the only reason she doesn't want to remmeber Teresa. Also she says despicable which doesn't imply that she was that scared but rather implies that she considered waht happened aweful, ugly(not the best term but for now let's not go into details) vile, discraceful and a lot more that come to mind. Sort of like she wasn't scared of that person but rather what followed (including the losing everything you value in a second)

That might be just due to the translation since I have no idea how the original word translates or due to the way I interpret words (since dictionary definitions don't always keep up with the meanings of the words these days...if that actually made sense to anyone). etiher way I wouldn't use despicable if I wanted to emphasize on the fear part.
Old 2010-05-29, 09:52   Link #706
shogun01
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
Hey guys... just picked up the VIZ version of Claymore Volume 16 which was supposed to come out on the 1st of June but I found in stores a little early.
Viz ships out their titles many weeks in advance. In fact, my copy has been on received status at Right Stuf (waiting for a partial shipment) since the 14th.
Old 2010-05-29, 11:48   Link #707
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh View Post
Or because in that sigle moment she lost her humanity and became a monster. It's quite reasonable to believe that someone would rather not remember the person who pushed them over the edge of himanity whatever the actual circumstences. Fear is indeed part of it but by far not the only reason she doesn't want to remmeber Teresa. Also she says despicable which doesn't imply that she was that scared but rather implies that she considered waht happened aweful, ugly(not the best term but for now let's not go into details) vile, discraceful and a lot more that come to mind. Sort of like she wasn't scared of that person but rather what followed (including the losing everything you value in a second)

That might be just due to the translation since I have no idea how the original word translates or due to the way I interpret words (since dictionary definitions don't always keep up with the meanings of the words these days...if that actually made sense to anyone). etiher way I wouldn't use despicable if I wanted to emphasize on the fear part.
I agree, the exact way we are supposed to take what Priscilla meant is kinda vague... especially since she also mentioned ecstasy and most people would rather remember that part . So clearly something happened that wasn't made quite clear enough in the English translation. Fear is part of it for sure but fear of Teresa being the sum of it isn't clear. For all we know it was just the sensation of fear that she hated and not the who (Priscilla is the kinda person where that explanation is plausible), after all we don't know for sure if she recalls the time with her dad becoming a yoma either and that memory should be just as painful and scary so why was that one memory never mentioned.

To me this part is as unclear as Alicia first attacking the AFs... when it first happened most of us though Alicia was just awakening due to the soul-link being severed. It wasn't until later chapters that we pieced together that it was indeed Beth's infection transferring to Alicia due to their soul-link that caused her to just attack everything.

Plus to make matters worse Priscilla's dialog was clearly meant to be a line grabber at the end of a chapter. Very much akin to a tv show where all you hear is a gun shot as the shows starts a commercial break but when the show picks up again a few minutes later yo could find out the shot was only a warning shot or a graze. Doesn't mean that it will be but it seems plausible. I hate it when something is sensationalized like that... especially with a month long wait for the next part. Often authors will put lines in there like that to throw their audience off and other times to build suspense... what Yagi's goal with Priscilla's memory recall is is very unclear as of yet.

I'm waiting for at least next chapter before making any judgement calls on this part of the plot. Speculation is fine and fun but anything past speculation is premature in my mind.
Old 2010-05-29, 13:00   Link #708
irvinethearcher
Angriest Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh View Post

So you say that it was more the unpleasant memory of becoming the very thing she hated the most which caused the memory loss? Could be. But how do you explain the "deep darkness that gapes at the center of her face"?
To me it sounds like someone is afraid of theresa's faint smile
Old 2010-05-29, 13:25   Link #709
FormerAbyssalone
Guts=badass

Send a message via Yahoo to FormerAbyssalone
Talking

Maybe she just hates Teresa that much and she want 2 forget everything for that time.
Old 2010-05-29, 13:52   Link #710
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvinethearcher View Post
So you say that it was more the unpleasant memory of becoming the very thing she hated the most which caused the memory loss? Could be. But how do you explain the "deep darkness that gapes at the center of her face"?
To me it sounds like someone is afraid of theresa's faint smile
She only recalled a blood stained sword, a headless body, and a face she could not see. There was no mention of Clare, Irene, Sophia, or Noel either. So all we know is that for some reason Teresa's face was a more powerful memory from that fight and she can't recall it. The why is still very much unknown, could be as you suggested she blames Teresa for everything, could be that Teresa's face made her hate herself due to the fact Teresa made her look at her own flaws and "justification" for everything, could be she hated the fact that she still tried to help her and warn her but she wouldn't listen/understand, could be Teresa's face reminded her of how she was wrong and Teresa was the one in the right, could be she just hated Teresa's attitude, etc...

There's just not enough to go on here. Speculation are great and they will help us once we start getting more data to enter in the question.

My speculation for the line "deep darkness that gapes at the center of her face" is her inability to recall the face due to her own mental wedge... in short she just said there's a memory block over her face. Very akin to me like Clare putting a wedge in her mind to shield herself from ever having to face the pain of killing another friend due to her awakening. So Priscilla will likely have to face this turmoil she's just buried away very soon, she just needs that final shove to access that memory. Just as Clare will soon have to admit that she cares more about what her actions will lead to than just settling old issues, she's living for the future but believes she's trapped in the past and Clare will have to choose about what path she will take from there (I suspect Raphaela's memories will guide her choice here). Priscilla likely has something that will haunt her soon enough once she sees this past and will have to make a choice of her own. At least that's my line of thinking it maybe that she was demonizing Teresa's face but that is her mental justification for blocking away the memory rather than facing it. We all know too well when one hides be hind a false reason they are just shying away from a different truth they'd rather not face.

I suspect both will have to face the truth buried deep within their own minds soon enough and likely both will discover it while facing each other (not at the exact same moment necessarily but you get the idea). Beyond that point I just see an uncertain future... too many ways Yagi could play each ones revelation, too many times and ways they could discover it, too many ways both will react/accept to it, too many changes that could happen to each ones form (such as Priscilla regain her humanity or rejecting her revelation and taking her awakening to a whole another level. With Clare she could finally gain full access to Teresa's powers, Teresa could come back, or she could just learn to go 100% with no side effects (in human form or not doesn't matter, control is what I'm referring to here))
Old 2010-05-29, 13:56   Link #711
Ganshou-dono
so hungry...

Send a message via ICQ to Ganshou-dono
well I think these might be unnecessary thoughts...meaning you look too deep into it looking for deeper meaning that actually might not be there...I ain't saying it's not there merely that it might not be there
we all know that awakening is some serious change of body and mind...plus in priscilla's case she had so many emotions flowing through her body and mind that she lost it completely...not only there was fear and humiliation struck into her brain by teresa but also her faith was broken because she "warrior of justice and protector of weak" lost to teresa "villian monster murderer etc etc" and then as she was unleashing more yoki her (probably) most painful memories started to surface...and on top of all that awakening...all that together just had to seriously mess up her mind...maybe at that very moment when she awakened she was calm and under control but next thing we knew about her was that she didn't know pretty much anything and was basically "just" a little hungry girl
so what I'm trying to say is that it might not be just one thing that caused her memory loss but rather combination of everything that took part in that fateful moment
Old 2010-05-29, 14:08   Link #712
irvinethearcher
Angriest Angel

A good point of you is that her ideals and believes like "good prevails over evil" were also destroyed by theresa.
For me this is only more a reason for priscilla to fear her. In only perhaps half an hour theresa destroyed priscilla's simplyfied universe and replaced it with something of freightening complexity.
And something else is important here i think. theresa was called "of the faint smile".
I think it is important that priscilla can't remember about the face perhaps because of the faint smile in that face. And not only that she can't remember about it. The face itself seems to be even the source of priscilla's memory loss. At least i interpret the quote below that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla
And no matter what i do, i can't remember the face, as if it were more and more swallowed by darkness, the more desparately i try to remember it.
And at that time, as if i was being sucked into that deep darkness that gapes at the center of that face i lost my consciousness and all my memories.
Old 2010-05-29, 14:13   Link #713
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Ryus is right; Yagi is being intentionally vague as he always is, it's difficult to tell in what way we are supposed to take her words emotionally-speaking.

I also agree that it's very likely that both Claire and Priscilla will make a permantely life-changing choice very soon, one that will probably end their clash once and for all.

Quote:
With Clare she could finally gain full access to Teresa's powers, Teresa could come back, or she could just learn to go 100% with no side effects (in human form or not doesn't matter, control is what I'm referring to here))
Oh don't you even joke, especially with the latter 0_0

I swear, if anything remote to Teresa coming back, the story will have officially gone down in my book.

Last edited by Shiek927; 2010-05-29 at 14:32.
Old 2010-05-29, 14:29   Link #714
Ganshou-dono
so hungry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek927 View Post
Yagi is being intentionally vague as he always is
yup and I like that way much more ...it intrigues me much more...plus it sounds lot cooler too
Old 2010-05-29, 14:30   Link #715
kitten320

Hey everyone, wasn't here for a while. Does anyone know when possible spoilers might be out?
Old 2010-05-29, 14:32   Link #716
FormerAbyssalone
Guts=badass

Cool

I certanly hope not, I want 2 see Priss die!!! If all the other abyssals have 2 die then she has 2 die!! Seeing Priss die is something i've been waiting for!!

@kitten: no legit spoilers so far. I figured there would be some by now.
Old 2010-05-29, 14:45   Link #717
irvinethearcher
Angriest Angel

Not only you, i hate that bitch nearly as clare does
But i hope she dies slowly. She must suffer to her last breath.
Old 2010-05-29, 14:51   Link #718
FormerAbyssalone
Guts=badass

Cool

Hate is such a strong word. I prefer the term dislike. I dislike her a whole lot!!

In someways I feel sorry for her. She can't help who she is right now.

I put her in the same boat as Ophilia, she is a nutcase that lost her sanity when her parents where killed by a yoma.
Old 2010-05-29, 15:52   Link #719
Ganshou-dono
so hungry...

I on the other hand totally love her...she is very cool...she is symbol that combines beauty strength and despair...she is like a the ultimate being...not like a god or something...but simply a being...she's like teresa...a person maybe a monster one might say that can take on anything...and the despair she represents...wow...I mean I can just hardly comprehend what kind of despair clare had to feel that day...and that feeling is just interesting...I respect and love anything that can represent something in an absolute way...and she does exactly that

though I just simply cannot forgive her the way she'd killed teresa...if she killed her in a fair battle even as a awakened being I wouldn't mind...however it did not turned out that way
this is only thing I don't like about her
but I acknowledge the fact that she needs to be destroyed because she way too dangerous and way too unstable to find her place in that world...and way too hungry
Old 2010-05-29, 16:34   Link #720
Joe_fh

And here is where the "did Prissy kill Teresa while she was in full control or did she do it after she lost control even when se didn't want to actually do it" part comes in
But I remember what heppend last time I tried to argue that Prissy isn't such a bad guy and about Teresa's actions...so I'll just stay clear of this one
Closed Thread