Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-05-30, 10:23   Link #1
Solafighter
Hige

Patching a .mkv file

Hi,

i have an .mkv file.

Then, for this file, there is a archive file with 3 files in it, to patch this .mkv file.

I copy and paste these 3 files in a folder. In this folder, i also copy and paste the .mkv file.

The three files are:
an .xdelta file
a patch.exe file
and a xdelta3.exe file

if i run one of the 2 files, i can run, there seems to be open a little window but in the same moment, it closes again.

I dont get, how to patch like this.
Can someone help me out, to patch this .mkv file?
Do i need special software? I have the CCCP pack with the media player classic player.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 2010-05-30, 10:54   Link #2
sneaker

Maybe something's wrong with your input file? (Wrong file name / defect)
Try calling xdelta3.exe from the commandline yourself(or put the command in a *.bat file):
xdelta3.exe -d -s old_file delta_file patched_new_file
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 11:38   Link #3
Solafighter
Hige

Ah alright seems to be fixed. Thanks a bunch.
Old 2010-06-07, 13:16   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
Try calling xdelta3.exe from the commandline yourself(or put the command in a *.bat file):
xdelta3.exe -d -s old_file delta_file patched_new_file
Or .cmd file works fine too. They are similar but .cmd is the one who is intended to go though cmd.exe

Q. Is there no simpler method of patching files?
Old 2010-06-07, 19:06   Link #5
JEEB
Bishoujo fanatic
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Q. Is there no simpler method of patching files?
I can't really think of a more "simple" method to patch files than having a batch file that the user has to click with a binary of the executable that will be executed for the patching process, and that outputs possible information on screen.

Adding a possible GUI and such would just make it even harder and complicated (in the sense that a GUI comes up and needs extra intervention from the user, although in 99% of cases it should be a matter of just pressing the 'Go!' button). Automated stuff with rsa/md5 hashes would be possible, but would make it a guessing game more or less -- not to mention that crawling through a folder to find a renamed file would take its time as well. Command line isn't a bad option for people who have played around with file names etc. as long as some kind of help is provided in a readme file or the release notes.

Of course, you could also add error detection and a possible loonix shell script into the mess (that checks if the given application is installed), but when I was making patch packages I did feel lazy to do that (there were ideas of giving out a *nix binary, but as distros and systems really aren't binary compatible...).
Old 2010-06-07, 20:12   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEB View Post
I can't really think of a more "simple" method to patch files than having a batch file that the user has to click with a binary of the executable that will be executed for the patching process, and that outputs possible information on screen.
Nono, I mean if there is a alternative to the hole patching process described (ie. a alternative to the files involved). I know .mkv supposedly supports splitting out files so wouldn't there be a way to make use of that to alter the subtitles using that process. Is it possible for a .mkv file to link to another and insert alternative softsubs? (for example)
Old 2010-06-07, 20:33   Link #7
JEEB
Bishoujo fanatic
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Is it possible for a .mkv file to link to another and insert alternative softsubs? (for example)
The feature is called "segment linking" as it links segments from the same folder (be the segment in the same file or another file). Specific stream loading from specific files isn't possible as far as I know (example of a chapters file with segment linking capability used). Segment linking is more of a way to play with timelines than anything else.