Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-03, 13:19   Link #61
luniz

1 Naruto [nothing new or original or even interesting]
2 DragonballZ [not very good, although not really highly 'rated']
3 Hellsing [quite poor actually, inferior to Witch Hunter Robin and others]
4 Azumanga Daio [difficult to watch]
5 Trigun [solid overall but not great, lead character a bit annoying, plot questionable]
Old 2004-09-03, 16:17   Link #62
safaia

Location: In Fruits Basket surronded by all my Fruits Basket pals...Yuki, Tohru, Kyo.....
Send a message via AIM to safaia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbu_33
Fruits Basket - its an average series , dont know why everybody is going around saying its so great and a must see

Fullmetal Alchemist - way overated , its not bad but its not great , hate talking to fans of this series , hehehe

thats about it

Hey! There are hot guys in Fruits Basket! I'm a shoujo anime girl all the way, and Fruits Basket pwns over j00.

Yami-Safaia: Yeah, the hot guys take their shirts off.

Gwen: COFFEE! AND FRUITS BASKET!

Safaia: My personalities are right, so pay close attention!
Old 2004-09-07, 14:46   Link #63
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
WELLL. SOme of the most over rated animes...are

no order some are ties:

Kimi Nozomu Eien: This anime has such a boring plot. Nothing over the ordinary AT ALL. Some pople say its really good...No its not. This is just so lame. I watch soap operas this is one nothing good at all. People who say it is not a soap opera...UMMMMM do u watch them? Plus the game art and story isn't up to par with anything KEY produces. Very over rated in story area, nice animation tho... It boggles my mind to no end.

Naruto: Ok this show is VERY overrated. I swear to goodness this is almost a wannabe of HxH. There is nothing exceptionaly that great. At least it is better than KGNE. This has a story but too many people think it is the best.

Saikano: I truly hate this anime with a passion. Not to mention people like this sceam clone movie that screams BORING. Nothing great at all about this. Watch scream and say it is #1 then you may like this

Hmmmm lets see....FMA isn't over rated it is popular but I don't see people like naruto fans...hmmmm AH

Chobits: This show is ok to an extent but it is not that great to get worked up about.

Last edited by Leo_Otaku; 2004-11-24 at 15:34.
Old 2004-09-07, 14:50   Link #64
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akamaru
Hmm if a lot of people call an anime overrated, at what point does it become "not overrated"?
When there is a HUGE 1,000 or hubdered of people who tell you it is the best series ever and say nothing can compare.
Old 2004-09-07, 16:21   Link #65
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Kimi Nozomu Eien: This anime has such a boring plot. Nothing over the ordinary AT ALL. Some pople say its really good...No its not. This is just so lame. I watch soap operas this is one nothing good at all. People who say it is not a soap opera...UMMMMM do u watch them? Plus the game art and story isn't up to par with anything KEY produces. Very over rated in story area, nice animation tho... It boggles my mind to no end
Wow, I seem to believe someone is quite biased in their opinions...It's kinda hard to be partial when you obviously have some serious attachment to an opposing series.

I can say KGNE has some problems, but comparatively speaking...AIR is nowhere near the same class that KGNE is. Considering the "magic" theme in AIR, it would be hard to even classify them in the same genre. AIR isn't based solely on realistic events like KGNE, and as such, shouldn't be compared to it or anything KEY makes. KEY makes some interesting stories in-house, but they are often comprised of magical elements, Age tends to go the other direction with things such as KGNE and Kimiga Ita Kisetsu...leaving out the magical undertones a lot of the times.

Honestly, nothing can compare to KGNE in the simple terms of the fact that there are very few drama titles that hit using realisitic situations and characters...so in effect, no, nothing can really compare to KGNE...AIR on the other hand, yes, a lot of titles can compare to it, most noteably the rest of Key's titles.

Anyways, this widely moves off-topic, so I'll just go off and end with that. As such, overrating typically means when something is more popular without anything driving it to be as popular.
Old 2004-09-07, 18:14   Link #66
FireBorn

(In no specific order ...)

1. Rurouni Kenshin (TV) - simply boring, it's the same thing over and over with different charecters. Minus the Shisshio saga it has no storyline.

2. Naruto Anime - it's a decent anime, but it's way too overrated. The team sucks sucks sucks at making fillers and they are hardly funny at all. Also, they slack off in some of the most important parts. Got boring after ep. 20, for me.

3. Any anime in Canada. DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Digimon, etc, etc.. this stuff makes me sick to the stomach just thinking about it.

4. Ghost In The Shell.. not saying it's a bad anime. I enjoyed it a bit. Maybe it's just me.. but it wasn't really all that great in my opinion.

5. Grave of the Fireflies.. This is extremely overrated imo. It's a sad anime, and you really pity the charecters, but that's about it. It's not something I really enjoyed.

(Yes.. six) 6. Hellsing.. what a boring anime. What's so great about it anyways? If you're looking for an anime with cool vampires, absolutely no plot, storyline or charecter depth, watch Hellsing!
Old 2004-09-08, 10:18   Link #67
UserName

1. Definitely Naruto.(Most overrated anime EVER!)
2. Rurouni Kenshin
3. Gundam SEED
4. Inuyasha
Old 2004-09-08, 14:53   Link #68
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Everyone is biased in their opinions, it's why people hold certain biases that tells you how to translate someone else's opinion into something meaningful for you.

That's assuming they provide a reasoning, and don't simply tick off names.
Old 2004-09-08, 16:12   Link #69
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCntry
Wow, I seem to believe someone is quite biased in their opinions...It's kinda hard to be partial when you obviously have some serious attachment to an opposing series.

I can say KGNE has some problems, but comparatively speaking...AIR is nowhere near the same class that KGNE is. Considering the "magic" theme in AIR, it would be hard to even classify them in the same genre. AIR isn't based solely on realistic events like KGNE, and as such, shouldn't be compared to it or anything KEY makes. KEY makes some interesting stories in-house, but they are often comprised of magical elements, Age tends to go the other direction with things such as KGNE and Kimiga Ita Kisetsu...leaving out the magical undertones a lot of the times.

Honestly, nothing can compare to KGNE in the simple terms of the fact that there are very few drama titles that hit using realisitic situations and characters...so in effect, no, nothing can really compare to KGNE...AIR on the other hand, yes, a lot of titles can compare to it, most noteably the rest of Key's titles.

Anyways, this widely moves off-topic, so I'll just go off and end with that. As such, overrating typically means when something is more popular without anything driving it to be as popular.
I believe it is over rated and to say that my opinion is wrong is well wrong indeed. I respect what you say. But KGNE is over rated without a doubt.
Old 2004-09-08, 16:27   Link #70
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku
I believe it is over rated and to say that my opinion is wrong is well wrong indeed. I respect what you say. But KGNE is over rated without a doubt.
I never said your opinion was wrong, I just said that it was a very obvious biased opinion.

If KGNE were actually as overrated as you might believe, then there would be no difficulties in finding localized versions of the games, the anime would easily be liscensed, and all of the merchandise related to it would already be marketed outside of Japan...
Old 2004-09-09, 14:23   Link #71
Mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd
Everyone is biased in their opinions, it's why people hold certain biases that tells you how to translate someone else's opinion into something meaningful for you.

That's assuming they provide a reasoning, and don't simply tick off names.
I agree with you!!
Old 2004-09-10, 16:14   Link #72
Mecha

Well for some of ya that still think Naruto is overrated.... obviously you are not a die hard fan.... check out this one fan's site on http://www.winter-paradise.com/index.php?m=200409 . She explain some Japanese idoims that makes the whole episode more exciting, not to mention educational. She has this site for over a year now and I am glad I found it again.

Don't knock it down until you can back it up with solid intellegent comment... please.
Old 2004-09-10, 17:09   Link #73
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha
Well for some of ya that still think Naruto is overrated.... obviously you are not a die hard fan.... check out this one fan's site on http://www.winter-paradise.com/index.php?m=200409 . She explain some Japanese idoims that makes the whole episode more exciting, not to mention educational. She has this site for over a year now and I am glad I found it again.

Don't knock it down until you can back it up with solid intellegent comment... please.
Why do I feel Naruto is overrated? It's because it's a standard run-of-the-mill action series. In the 40+ episodes that I *did* watch, there was nothing spectacular for me to keep with it and I was down-right bored by the time I got to ep 32. I've been told that it gets interesting when you get into the 50's, but sorry, if a series cannot keep me interesting within a few episodes, I don't really have the urge to stick with it.

I don't doubt that there are a lot of fans for Naruto that find a lot of entertainment value, hell there are people who still find entertainment value in DB/DBZ/GT even though it's pretty much the same "someone dies, comes back to life, kills everyone, and then dies again" story...so I can understand that there are plenty of people who find Naruto interesting, I just didn't find anything really worthy of me watching it more than I already have.

As for my comment about biased opinions, what I meant to that effect was that someone is letting their like for a particular title cloud the impartial judgement, not that I expect no bias in an opinion, but there should be a line drawn somewhere.
Old 2004-09-10, 18:17   Link #74
Archuka
A territory most absolute

In no particular order:

1. Last Exile - Boring characters and weak story (high tech airships with musketeers doing the fighting? what the hell?), yet very popular.

2. Naruto - A great show, but it repeats itself, some characters are annoying and it's just so incredibly, incredibly cliché. I especially hate the teleporting and flying above forests. Why do these people even bother to walk?

3. Rurouni Kenshin - Plot advances slowly and there's lots of filler inbetween. Towards the end (of the Shishio arc) it becomes a "freak of the week" show with a new freak to beat every time.

4. Cowboy Bebop - So, so episodic it makes me cry. Pretty much average in everything else.

5. DBZ - Relatively new to Finland, yet managed to instantly grab a huge local fanbase. Not only does the story advance too slowly, but the art is also horrible. Just look at those HUGE foreheads, freaky female hairstyles and razor sharp noses....not to mention the over muscular male characters.

I need more...

6. Full Metal Alchemist - Considered mature, dark and in every way interesting by many. I found it to be childish with a lot of flaws. The show had great potential with it's new type of science and all, but they just butchered it by completely forgetting the science part and turned it into magic, which they then tried to explain with weak explanations that made no sense or didn't follow the "laws of alchemy".

7. Any cool mecha show - The mecha designs are 99% the same in all of these shows. Always human in shape, some are fat, some are thin, but always human. And if most of them are anything like Shinkon Gattai Godannar, they also feature completely unncesessary melee combat (why the hell don't they just use guns instead?) and cheesy shouting out your next move in broken English. "Big Bustaa!!"
Old 2004-09-10, 19:59   Link #75
DarknessTear
Anime-Future/Static-Subs

1. Cowboy Bebop - This anime is basically all filler, the story appears rather randomly, this series would have been great as a 6 episode OVA though. In fact, it would have been one of the best ever. Too bad, hm?

2. Peace Maker Kurogane - Filler, two episodes of short-lived greatness.

3. Samurai Champloo - Stick figure samurai, non-progressive plot, cliche main characters.

4. Dragonball Z - Everything has been said once before. It should have ended at the Frieza Saga at least.

5. Naruto - Enjoyable anime at times, yes, but best anime ever? No, look at Fullmetal Alchemist for the title "best anime ever".
Old 2004-09-10, 20:32   Link #76
UserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha

Naruto is alright. I like it but I'm liking it less and less each episode and chapter. It started out great and slowly declines never redeeming itself. I don't like the whole message thing... bullshit to me the whole 'have someone special' crap. But either way Naruto is nothing new, it's not original at all and it's a bit too predictable.

I'm surprised someone listend Last Exile as overrated.. and I wonder why people put DBZ. DBZ is underrated if anything. People don't give it a real chance before bashing it. They even bash the manga becaue they think the anime dragged on yet they fail to realize the amount of fillers put into the show.
Old 2004-09-11, 04:50   Link #77
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
In no particular order:

1. Last Exile - Boring characters and weak story (high tech airships with musketeers doing the fighting? what the hell?), yet very popular.
That's not story, though. That's style. Galaxy Express 999, a train, that flies through space. It's pure style, no reason other than it's very, very cool. Also, steampunk (the genre of retro-technology and worlds that seem both archaic and yet advanced in their own way) is not something exclusive or even new to Last Exile. It's an old genre that, unfortunately, has gotten little attention until the past few years.

I do agree, though, that to where I got in the show, the story was still going nowhere, and the animation quality had dropped quite a bit.

Quote:
7. Any cool mecha show - The mecha designs are 99% the same in all of these shows. Always human in shape, some are fat, some are thin, but always human. And if most of them are anything like Shinkon Gattai Godannar, they also feature completely unncesessary melee combat (why the hell don't they just use guns instead?) and cheesy shouting out your next move in broken English. "Big Bustaa!!"
99% of anything is crap, so you might as well say all anime is overrated, since 99% of all anime have similar designs in either the characters, the mecha, the magic effects, whatever.

Again, in a round about way I'm agreeing with you, but feel compelled to note there are exceptions. Shoji Kawamori and Mamaru Nagano, for example, tend to have very distinctive mechanicle designs.
Old 2004-09-11, 19:54   Link #78
Mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName
Naruto is alright. I like it but I'm liking it less and less each episode and chapter. It started out great and slowly declines never redeeming itself. I don't like the whole message thing... bullshit to me the whole 'have someone special' crap. But either way Naruto is nothing new, it's not original at all and it's a bit too predictable.

I'm surprised someone listend Last Exile as overrated.. and I wonder why people put DBZ. DBZ is underrated if anything. People don't give it a real chance before bashing it. They even bash the manga becaue they think the anime dragged on yet they fail to realize the amount of fillers put into the show.
You are right this is a slow period for Naruto and nothing exciting happens. That is why I download naruto manga cause I want to know what is going to happen next. Another climax is coming but it will be a time before it happens... Thanks for the great comments.

I kinda like Last Exile and I don't think it's overrated but it is matter of taste.

When anime started to come out I had to resort to 10 to nth VHS copy (awful video)... now anime fans are all over the place.

I even heard the host of XPLAY knock out DBZ. I like DBZ but some so called anime fan can't even stand watching it.
Old 2004-10-23, 10:20   Link #79
Bflip
Cirque Dame's Jonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName
1. Definitely Naruto.(Most overrated anime EVER!)
2. Rurouni Kenshin
3. Gundam SEED
4. Inuyasha
Joking, right?
Old 2004-10-23, 10:34   Link #80
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:33.
Closed Thread