AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-06-18, 14:25   Link #4021
Laserworm
Maelstorm-Fenrir

Send a message via AIM to Laserworm Send a message via MSN to Laserworm
And I love one time there were about 15 or so kanji and ATLAS translated it to "The same."
Laserworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 15:08   Link #4022
ameskitty
Kupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenyo View Post
So who here has played Episode six in Japanese?
I did with the method in my signature for EP5 and EP6 (just the Rikaichan part, though :P), because reading just with ATLAS will get you negatives turned positive, positives turned negative, possibilities turned into absolutes, and, of course, the infamous one-word/indecipherable sentences . For EP6 I added ATLAS as a supplement just to make things go a bit quicker, although it wasn't that big of a help for the reasons I just listed. Most of the sentences it translated well were also the ones I could read without ATLAS or even the dictionary .

If you have a grasp on Japanese grammar and you're trying to pick up some more kanji, vocabulary, and idioms, it's definitely worth a try (at least in my opinion). That the games come out in summer and winter well after/before tests also helps with the time issue .

(By the way, for those on Mac/Linux looking for a "text hooker" for ONscripter, I might have a patch or something in my signature by next week - depending on when I can borrow a Mac for a few hours...)

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
ameskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 17:04   Link #4023
Tabura

Considering what I just read about ATLAS... I think I'll wait for the patch.
Old 2010-06-18, 17:48   Link #4024
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameskitty View Post
I did with the method in my signature for EP5 and EP6 (just the Rikaichan part, though :P), because reading just with ATLAS will get you negatives turned positive, positives turned negative, possibilities turned into absolutes, and, of course, the infamous one-word/indecipherable sentences . For EP6 I added ATLAS as a supplement just to make things go a bit quicker, although it wasn't that big of a help for the reasons I just listed. Most of the sentences it translated well were also the ones I could read without ATLAS or even the dictionary .
I used a similar but more primitive method. I grabbed the NScripter development tools from Insani's site and used them to extract the script, and then just opened the whole thing in a separate Firefox window for Rikaichan. It was a little annoying switching back and forth, but if your grammar is solid and you just have trouble with your kanji vocabulary, then it's a pretty fast process.
Old 2010-06-18, 19:05   Link #4025
lesengirz
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameskitty View Post

If you have a grasp on Japanese grammar and you're trying to pick up some more kanji, vocabulary, and idioms, it's definitely worth a try (at least in my opinion). That the games come out in summer and winter well after/before tests also helps with the time issue .

(By the way, for those on Mac/Linux looking for a "text hooker" for ONscripter, I might have a patch or something in my signature by next week - depending on when I can borrow a Mac for a few hours...)

Wait, I didn't get what you just say, In other words, this LINK , It's the site of a program similar but better than atlas that translates VISUAL NOVELS, in Real Time?

lesengirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 19:46   Link #4026
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
I used a similar but more primitive method. I grabbed the NScripter development tools from Insani's site and used them to extract the script, and then just opened the whole thing in a separate Firefox window for Rikaichan. It was a little annoying switching back and forth, but if your grammar is solid and you just have trouble with your kanji vocabulary, then it's a pretty fast process.
I used the same method, but I played with the browser resized to show just a few lines and the game window just above it.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-19, 07:37   Link #4027
Zannafar

I don't know if anyone ever brought this up (search didn't show anything) and it does not necessarily has to be a translation mistake (could be Ryuukishi07's fault), but...

When I reread episode 01 I came across the scene when everyone is discussing the magic circle drawn on the shutter of the storehouse. When they began to discuss the design this came up.
Spoiler for screenshot:

I don't know why I failed to notice it the first time I read it, but they are quite mistaken there.

What they refer to as a "Swastika" is actually called "Tatzenkreuz" or "Cross pattée" (from french patte = paw). It is indeed the symbol of the Knights Templar, but originally it wasn't supposed to protect pilgrims, but was a sign only to be used by crusaders. The Knights Templar got the permission to use it as their sign with the argument that their order is on a permanent crusade.

The Swastika on the other hand is a religous symbol, commonly found today in Indian religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism. The only connection it has with Germany is that it was misused by the Nazis as the "Hakenkreuz" during WWII.
Zannafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-19, 07:49   Link #4028
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Good catch. The "tatzenkreuz" is actually what you see in Maria's pentacle, and not the swastika.

This should probably be better translated as "german cross".

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-19, 15:26   Link #4029
InternHertz
.lone.....

As I couldn't wait to read EP6 back in December, my method was to use a converter kanji to hiragana/katakana so I could read the kanji I don't know and still be able to understand what was said. It's really my only gripe right now, I may know the words but my Kanji reading skills are too awful. Once converted though the reading flows well.
InternHertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-19, 21:00   Link #4030
winter 923

I think the mistake was that it was called "German Cross" in the first Place. The German Cross was an award with an swastika emblem (highest award in ww2) and everyone today would think about it because they saw too many ww2 hollywood films and shoot too many zombie nazis but this playes after WW2 and a patty Cross would be more associated to a "German Cross" since it was (and still is) used in the logo of the German Army.
Also the second part clearly hints to the patty Cross and the Templar Knights
winter 923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-20, 00:44   Link #4031
lesengirz
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternHertz View Post
As I couldn't wait to read EP6 back in December, my method was to use a converter kanji to hiragana/katakana so I could read the kanji I don't know and still be able to understand what was said. It's really my only gripe right now, I may know the words but my Kanji reading skills are too awful. Once converted though the reading flows well.
I can read hiragana only, but what it's that method? i'd like to try it aswell
lesengirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-20, 09:27   Link #4032
InternHertz
.lone.....

It's a website I use : http://nihongo.j-talk.com/kanji/

You just have to have the text (with AGTH for example) and copy/paste. You'll get the reading of the kanji and if you want it, the meaning. However I don't think it's useful when you don't know anything in Japanese of course..but when you do and it's only a problem of reading kanji, it really does help.

It may not be 100% perfect but damn for me it's pretty close. I don't exactly remember but I think I read all of EP6 in 4 to 5 days with this.
InternHertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 03:32   Link #4033
Franzen
The Golden Truth

Question to anyone at W-H:

Do you believe you will still be able to hit the targeted release of getting both patches out by the time Episode 7 is released in August?

You don't have to answer if you don't want to. This is just for my own excitement.
Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 03:51   Link #4034
moichispa
Endless witch

I think both will be released before.

first one must be released in any moment and I think it is possible to finish the second one in 2 months .

But better wait for witch hunt announcement
Old 2010-06-22, 04:08   Link #4035
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzen View Post
Question to anyone at W-H:

Do you believe you will still be able to hit the targeted release of getting both patches out by the time Episode 7 is released in August?

You don't have to answer if you don't want to. This is just for my own excitement.
We've managed to release each game's patch before the next Comiket ever since EP4, and we won't stop now. I can guarantee you a full release of EP6 before Comiket, with enough time for everyone to read it thoroughly.

Just a note, though. As has been mentioned before, the editing for this game will have to be done very carefully. It has a lot of subtle clues and metaphors hidden in it, and we want to make sure we've communicated all of those as well as humanly possible. We don't know which are real clues and which are trolls, but either way, it's not fair to the player if any of these get passed up.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 06:02   Link #4036
goldenlove27
Tortured Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
We've managed to release each game's patch before the next Comiket ever since EP4, and we won't stop now. I can guarantee you a full release of EP6 before Comiket, with enough time for everyone to read it thoroughly.

Just a note, though. As has been mentioned before, the editing for this game will have to be done very carefully. It has a lot of subtle clues and metaphors hidden in it, and we want to make sure we've communicated all of those as well as humanly possible. We don't know which are real clues and which are trolls, but either way, it's not fair to the player if any of these get passed up.
I bet it will take a lot of editing for this one But none the less keep up the good work and be sure to rest in between as well. BTW, how soon do you think will the first half of the patch will be released? I'm not impatient as I am re-reading the previous EP's but I do like to know what pace I should read in between my free time. :P
goldenlove27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 09:56   Link #4037
Tibba

Send a message via AIM to Tibba Send a message via MSN to Tibba
Haha~ I always get excited when I check the news page. The first think I see is the 100% under the EP5 header, and somehow I always think it's for EP6 and get all pumped up, only to realize I read it wrong. ._.
Tibba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 13:05   Link #4038
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Oh god. The anticipation is getting to me... It's squirming inside of me...

OH AHHHHH! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!

Must regain patience.... Must regain patience....

MUST REGAIN PATIENCE!
Thunder Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 13:31   Link #4039
Lenyo

Man, I'm so freaking excited for Episode 6. I'm gonna be out of town for a week. Here's hoping it's out when I get back, or at least on the way! Please, keep it up, Witch Hunt. We all really appreciate what you've been doing for us.
Lenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 19:57   Link #4040
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Distract yourself with other things. It helps to keep the Umineko fever from going up. Also, it's worth the wait since when it comes back, it feels good.

Please watch where you post and tag your spoilers properly if it's allowed.
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation