AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-06, 17:52   Link #161
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

i wanna see Doflamingo vs Buggy. buggy could give him a hard time.
Old 2010-07-06, 20:08   Link #162
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraden1989 View Post
is this week a hiatus chapter?

Don't worry, there's a chapter this week. Actually, I'm glad this was brought up, because I also wanted to mention that I'll make a thread for the anime's Marineford arc right after I do the 591 thread. Figure I may as well kill 2 birds with one stone, y'know?

BTW, going back to what I said before about Luffy training with Jinbei, I actually sort of retract what I said about skipping over the whole training session. Rather, I'd love to see Oda present it through a Rocky IV-style training montage. Man, just imagine Luffy becoming one with nature as he chops wood and climbs snowy mountains with Jinbei by his side the whole time. Then, by the time he leaves to reunite with his crew, it'll seem like Luffy will have became a whole new person, as he'll have a much better understanding of his Haki and will have learned that he must not dwell on that which he has lost, but move forward to ensure that those sacrifices were not in vain.....

....Man, that would be so awesome. I'm not sure if Oda will tread that route, though (at least not completely, anyway)....
Old 2010-07-06, 20:16   Link #163
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
....as he'll have a much better understanding of his Haki .....
About Haki, Jinbei cannot really help Luffy much. However, Boa can. Rayleigh can. And many others with sufficient experience in dealing with it.
Old 2010-07-06, 20:25   Link #164
marvelB

^We don't really know that for sure though, do we? It seems that most (or at least many) Grand Line veterans in general know a thing or two about Haki, so why should Jinbei be an exception? Besides, as I mentioned before, I doubt that Hancock would be very helpful towards Luffy as she is now since she's pretty much living in her own fantasy world thanks to her "love sickness". Elder Nyon would be the next best choice as a trainer IMO, since she's at least a former Kuja empress and would have much more wisdom to share than any of the younger amazons.....
Old 2010-07-06, 20:33   Link #165
Talendra

Well, for that training-thingy, I don't expect any of these high levels guys currently around to really teach Luffy stuff. Imo it would fit the story and the way Luffys progress was displayed so far a lot more, if he would simply do some sparring-"training" with, say Jimbei, and figures out Haki-usage like he did with Soru.
A lot slower of course, but with that fighting being only sparring-style, he would probably focus more on improving himself/understanding his opponent than being distracted due to the circumstances (e.g. Ace being about to get killed) and simply caring about getting closer to the "goal", even if it means avoiding fights. That way he could actually "notice" haki, instead of - seemlingly - not noticing it at all so far, due to him being focused on other stuff.
Old 2010-07-06, 20:49   Link #166
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
^We don't really know that for sure though, do we? It seems that most (or at least many) Grand Line veterans in general know a thing or two about Haki, so why should Jinbei be an exception?
Maybe because he is a man of the sea, and, as far as I remember, all the Haki users that we have seen so far are men of land.

Quote:
Besides, as I mentioned before, I doubt that Hancock would be very helpful towards Luffy as she is now since she's pretty much living in her own fantasy world thanks to her "love sickness".
On the opposite, Luffy's presence seems to make her become a much more focused person, especially when needed, as we had seen more than a few times during the last arc. If she can find someone else to make Luffy become stronger than he can with her, surely she will give that job to that person.
Old 2010-07-06, 20:49   Link #167
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talendra View Post
Well, for that training-thingy, I don't expect any of these high levels guys currently around to really teach Luffy stuff. Imo it would fit the story and the way Luffys progress was displayed so far a lot more, if he would simply do some sparring-"training" with, say Jimbei, and figures out Haki-usage like he did with Soru.

...Hence what I said before about Luffy "becoming one with nature".

While it's true I said that I said Luffy's potential trainers would "teach" him about Haki, I meant it in a very loose sense.... rather, they'd only lay out the first few stepping stones for him. I fully agree that Luffy needs to discover the full potential of his Haki on his own, and I really can't help but think that the wilderness of Amazon Lily would be the perfect place for him to break those chains that hold him back (which is why I keep suggesting that he stays there for a while to train).....
Old 2010-07-06, 21:09   Link #168
Talendra

Quote:
I really can't help but think that the wilderness of Amazon Lily would be the perfect place for him to break those chains that hold him back (which is why I keep suggesting that he stays there for a while to train).....
Now thats surely an interesting thought, "becoming one with nature" ^^

However, do you have any reasons/excuses in your mind for why Luffy would stay at AL, given that in the last chapter, he expressed the deep desire to leave and search for his crew as soon as he somehow can?

"I trust them to take care of themselves for a while longer, until I get stronger so I can protect them better" doesn't seem very in-char for Luffy, at least in his current situation (imo).
Old 2010-07-06, 21:13   Link #169
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
Maybe because he is a man of the sea, and, as far as I remember, all the Haki users that we have seen so far are men of land.
What does race have to do with anything? Haki is inherent in everyone. It's just a matter of knowing how to manifest it outwardly.
Old 2010-07-06, 21:36   Link #170
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talendra View Post
"I trust them to take care of themselves for a while longer, until I get stronger so I can protect them better" doesn't seem very in-char for Luffy, at least in his current situation (imo).

While that IS part of the reason why I think Luffy should stay and train, there's something else I touched upon earlier in this thread:

Quote:
I'm not sure how Luffy can go searching for his crew when all the vivrecards point towards Rayleigh, not the other way around.....

^For that reason it wouldn't make sense for Luffy to blindly sail the ocean searching for his crew. And while he COULD sail straight to Sabaody right away and wait for them, he'd risk attracting a lot of trouble there if he stays at that place for too long (after all, he DID kinda slug a world noble there). It just makes more sense to me for him to stay at AL for a while so he can lick his wounds and train without worrying about marine interference (for now), then he can return to Sabaody once he's made a full recovery and has finally became strong enough to take on the New World.....
Old 2010-07-06, 21:45   Link #171
Talendra

Quote:
^For that reason it wouldn't make sense for Luffy to blindly sail the ocean searching for his crew. And while he COULD sail straight to Sabaody right away and wait for them, he'd risk attracting a lot of trouble there if he stays at that place for too long (after all, he DID kinda slug a world noble there). It just makes more sense to me for him to stay at AL for a while so he can lick his wounds and train without worrying about marine interference (for now), then he can return to Sabaody once he's made a full recovery and has finally became strong enough to take on the New World.....
Well, I guess you're right, marines spreading out again after the war and thus increasing their presence at SA to "normal" level (unlike to how few there were when the SHs arrived there for the first time), is quite a good reason to stay at AL for a while longer. Although he could probably hide pretty well with Shakky.

Anyways, this kinda feels like the decision Luke had to make - keep training with yoda in the wilderness or leave to aid his friends. Well, with Oda, he will probably just surprise both of us anyways ^_^
Old 2010-07-06, 23:06   Link #172
DonnVall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayote View Post
i wanna see Doflamingo vs Buggy. buggy could give him a hard time.
Everything about Buggy will be hilarious to watch. But I believe the one that would take Doflamingo down is Robin. You know, big mouth and bad mannered-glam guy vs all serious, cool, calm, and intelectual lady. IMO Robin ability is good (may even best) against Doflamingo ability. He can control others' limbs but not the mind, while Robin can grow virtually unlimited limbs anywhere she can see.
Old 2010-07-06, 23:13   Link #173
Nightmare-Kun
The Nightmare Begins...

what id like to see is the crew having their own chapters on how they make their way
to the SA and having the cover a image of luffy doing different training methods with jimbei and hancock
Old 2010-07-07, 01:12   Link #174
james0246

^If one of Robin's extra limbs is wounded, then her real limb is wounded. That is the ultimate weakness of her ability, and why she is not a top level power despite technically having one of the more powerful paramecia in the series (so far). SBS 47 confirms this (though an earlier chapter also indicated this weakness).

So no, if she loses one of her "grown" limbs (say, Mihawk slashes off an arm), then she would lose her real limb, and unless she gains some reptile DNA she's not going to be growing it back...
Old 2010-07-07, 01:51   Link #175
Distinction

Wow didnt know there was this handicap. Kinda sucks imo that we have this beast Fruits on the one hand (like Admiral Logias etc.) and on the other hand this nonsense handicaps. Its like the most risky ability to use for oneself.

So if one hand out of 100 she grows gets cut she lose her own hand?
Old 2010-07-07, 02:00   Link #176
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^If one of Robin's extra limbs is wounded, then her real limb is wounded. That is the ultimate weakness of her ability, and why she is not a top level power despite technically having one of the more powerful paramecia in the series (so far). SBS 47 confirms this (though an earlier chapter also indicated this weakness).

So no, if she loses one of her "grown" limbs (say, Mihawk slashes off an arm), then she would lose her real limb, and unless she gains some reptile DNA she's not going to be growing it back...

Or she could learn two use two left (or right) hands. Kinda awkward.
Old 2010-07-07, 02:13   Link #177
Jaieni

Quote:
Unless the flower flower fruit is the type of flower that can grow back when cut as many can do (damn weeds in my garden!). You have to take care of the root to get rid of the flower. Did Oda say that limbs won't grow back or just that she would take damage from one of her extended limbs?
Old 2010-07-07, 03:35   Link #178
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
I don't think that was ever mentioned. Can you please quote the exact place you saw that, and the exact wording stating that? As far as I can remember, an arm getting cut will only cause some damage to the original body, but it does not mean she will lose the original limb. Otherwise, it would become one of the silliest abilities, ever.
Old 2010-07-07, 04:44   Link #179
DonnVall

^ Agree. If it's true then using this ability is like multiplying your weaknesses. Should not use it unless in very safe environment or in desperate situation.

I wonder if Robin can find next level of this ability to include growing nearby people's limbs? Would be cool if she can grow several luffy's gear 3rd's gigantic arms or legs. One or two pacifistas would be nothing to her whenever luffy's nearby.
Old 2010-07-07, 05:01   Link #180
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
I don't think that was ever mentioned. Can you please quote the exact place you saw that, and the exact wording stating that? As far as I can remember, an arm getting cut will only cause some damage to the original body, but it does not mean she will lose the original limb. Otherwise, it would become one of the silliest abilities, ever.
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBS volume 47, chapter 455, page 126
D: Wait a second!! Oda-sensei!! You know that scene in Volume 45, where Robin squeezes Franky in a very important place? CAN SHE FEEL WHAT SHE'S SQUEEZING? You simply MUST tell me!!

O: Yes, she can. All the arms and legs she sprouts are part of her body. She feels the things she touches, and when she's hurt, that damage is done to her own body. So you see... She really DID grab his balls!! Girls, NEVER DO THIS. They're very tender!!
It is logical that the more you expose yourself in an attack, the more vulnerable you are.

If she's going to do a powerful attack and release 100 arms, she will have offensive advantage, so its fair to give her a similar defensive disadvantage.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Closed Thread