AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-09-27, 17:24   Link #1321
chinaboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
I just shook my head in disbelief and disappointment and really wish to see much less of this type of character archetype in the future.
That's it! Well said. Of course, Kio isn't a single example he's only one in a quickly becoming, long line of his type (excuse me while I look in a virtual mirror and say, "It's the archetype, stupid".) Is there a trope for this, something like: "Clueless eunich"?

I gotta go with the boycotting of series that feature this type of male lead. To use an anime term: I find them very annoying.

It's fartin' against thunder, but it's all we got.
chinaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 22:10   Link #1322
Francismeunier
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mairsile View Post
Makoto from School Days was a complete jerk who used girls for his own selfish pleasure - he was fully aware of their feelings and did not care at all. Many of the female students shared his carefree attitude as well which led to all the chaos. I certainly hated the guy and was indifferent to his demise. Seeing how the series focused on the negative and dark aspects of human relationships, his end was fitting.
Since I have just seen Makoto has made me waste 2 boxes of 50 bullets of rifle cartridges at his sorry smelly keister (his printed face on a sheet of paper) on over 100 glass bottles. So much glass bottles I had to use other thing at one point to target practice.

Still Kio compared to Makoto is much more funny and is way too cute here=>

On saying this.....who would want to be a Cathian instead of a human. Also highly assuming he transformed because he computer would not accept him as a human.
Francismeunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 23:11   Link #1323
ZeKeR
Superbad

and kio is ever the thickhead.... lawl

either way i still find the matter displacement rounds the nekomimi use to be fun... if it be possible, me want some of those to shoot some pretty ladies (lol jk)

i also noticed some things tho....

the rocket facility is similar to Gundam SEED's railgun launcher system back at Orb...
Old 2010-09-27, 23:38   Link #1324
Manic
real men love pink

lol so does kio really change into a Cathian in the novels or was this some AO stuff they threw in? I dont know much about the novels, so i dunno if they stuck with em or not

Although, I wouldnt be shocked if he stayed that way. I mean he's already basically one of em being the ambassador and in a (sort of) relationship with elis.

Well anywho i enjoyed the series, even tho the middle of it got kind of boring, and kio's complete idiocy towards his harem. I would like to see a season 2 down the road to complete the story.

Last edited by Manic; 2010-09-28 at 01:43.
Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 01:33   Link #1325
Simonsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
lol so does kio really changed into a Cathian in the novels or was this some AO stuff they through in? Dont know much about the novel so i dunno if they stuck with em or not

I wouldnt be shocked if he stayed that way, i mean he already basically one of em anyway being the ambassador and in a sort of relationship with elis.

Well anywho i enjoyed the series, even tho the middle of it got kind of boring, and kios completely idiocy towards his harem. I would like to see a season 2 down the road to complete the story.
huh somehow ended up typing something about fairy tail here, so ignore this
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 03:08   Link #1326
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Fanservice OVA announced. Not until March 2011 though.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=263144
Old 2010-09-28, 04:59   Link #1327
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Fanservice OVA announced. Not until March 2011 though.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=263144
*gulp* first Campanella and now Asobi too! Great!

now, where's Strike Witches OVA? I demand it!!
Old 2010-09-28, 05:01   Link #1328
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
I'm surprised so many people are disappointed with the ending, because I felt like it had wrapped up really well. The Catians were saved, the girls were happy, and Kio got to be a hero. I really liked watching the action and the way things turned out with Kio becoming Catian and the Maids vs NATO. I'll take a harem ending over one that ends on rivalry and ambiguity.

I agree with everyone in the sense that Kio is really thick. And I'm also annoyed that he didn't say anything after being kissed by three women in a row. But he always tried to improve himself when it came to the big picture. In a way, I think it's fitting because Aoi and Manami are both so obsessed over him, that they both automatically assume that he is going to choose Eris because she's more beautiful and gets more involved. All of the drama that went on between them? That was their own theories and beliefs. You can't blame Kio because Aoi is so shy or Manami is to hot-tempered. That's their own problems.

I'm not going to say he's a great harem protagonist, I still will defend that he's a good one. I don't really see him as being anti-sex, a doormat, a coward, or a loser. Now a days, it feels like you have to follow 2 out of 4 of the things I mentioned to become a harem male lead. :P

Overall for the series, I will give it a 8.5 or 9 out of 10. I think it could of used 1 more episode, to add more depth to all the characters. The only things that continuously bugged me were the amounts of bickering over Kio, Kio's lack of involvement/development and Manami's tsun-attitude. Everything else I really loved. The did a good job at making a silly premise interesting and kind of tense at the same time. And there's nothing wrong adding action to the mix.
Nukerjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 05:26   Link #1329
Qikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francismeunier View Post
Since I have just seen Makoto has made me waste 2 boxes of 50 bullets of rifle cartridges at his sorry smelly keister (his printed face on a sheet of paper) on over 100 glass bottles. So much glass bottles I had to use other thing at one point to target practice.

Still Kio compared to Makoto is much more funny and is way too cute here=>

On saying this.....who would want to be a Cathian instead of a human. Also highly assuming he transformed because he computer would not accept him as a human.
If it means I get Eris and the various other cute cat girls on that ship. I think I'd happily become a cathian.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 05:41   Link #1330
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
It turned out better than I expected ... that is I expected absolutely nothing, and had good desings, constant above-average animation, and interesting referential humor (not limited to anime, finally) and some drama. I will agree that the love triangle (or better tetrahedron) for the most part seemed forced and in general was not working or being interesting.

Anyway, on Kio being stupid, pathetic, etc. ... well there are much worse (see the examples on the previous posts). Stupid he certainly is not, rather socially oblivious. Also at least he had his moments, like saving Aoi. I think they try to depict him more like the average viewer at that age, considering the target audience
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 12:30   Link #1331
yuiichi9

I like the series & want to see a second season. Also looking forward for the ova. I though the suits & final attack in the final episode resemble tekkaman and I was right. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...=10687&page=22
yuiichi9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 12:35   Link #1332
Mairsile
Athletic girls are sugoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
I'm not going to say he's a great harem protagonist, I still will defend that he's a good one. I don't really see him as being anti-sex, a doormat, a coward, or a loser. Now a days, it feels like you have to follow 2 out of 4 of the things I mentioned to become a harem male lead. :P
To me, the single trait that a male harem protagonist must display is an interest in girls. It fails to make sense to use the harem genre when the male protagonist - such as Kio - treats every girl in the series as a friend and displays zero interest in any of them romantically. Because of this, it is wrong to even suggest that Kio and Eris are in a "pseudo-relationship." As in the case of Aoi and Minami, their one-sided love for Kio results in nothing more than friendship in the eyes of Kio. Again, you can not use the term harem when the male protagonist sees everyone as a friend. Sure, he could have been clueless as to who likes him, but because of how he sees the girls, he isn't harem material as a leading character.

Last edited by Mairsile; 2010-09-28 at 12:50.
Mairsile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 14:21   Link #1333
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Frankly, the thing that bothers me the most is that even in the few bits of manga I've read, Kio was shown to be better than this, and that's the reason I gave him and the anime a chance. I suppose I can see how he may see Aoi and Manami just as friends (I don't expect any normal human to do so, but the bar is way lower for a typical harem lead like him) as Aoi is too shy and Manami is too tsundere. But I think Eris is pretty upfront with her feelings, living together with her and not at least talk about this is strange. And there's that triple kiss in spaceship as well, where a robot could show more reaction than he did. In short, the bar is already lowered, Kio, don't get lower than that anymore.

Really, even with oblivious I can tolerate as long as they give a reason for it. Say he just loved one girl and don't think of others at all (Ai Yori Aoshi), or he's had a traumatic experience that makes him scared. Maybe he's raised without much human contact and is socially awkward, or that he's too busy saving the world/studying/hobbies to have time/interest in relationships right now. I appreciate Baka Test to just outright say and show that they are idiots, plain and simple. That Akihisa's regular idiocy throughout the series is par for the course for someone that dense, or the other way around.
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 14:37   Link #1334
Irie

There is a real fine line for the protagonist to show direct interest with his harem or just ignore them. I would have liked Kio to be a little more assertive and at least show some romantic interest. I am willing to accept the fact that he began the show as a total introvert. His uncle did say he should get out more and find a girl just before he met Eris. Not sure a painfully shy kid like that can change in the short span of time of this show. So I'm basically comfortable with how it ended and would love a 2nd season to really expand things.

Now, if there is another season, Kio can't remain clueless to the girls affections. He would have enough time to grow up and deal with the girls as they adjust to this arrangment. Could be a really fun show without all the Manami drama and a more aggressive Aio.
Old 2010-09-28, 14:47   Link #1335
Manic
real men love pink

well if he remains a cathian there shouldnt be any doubts to what happens. Also didnt one of the episodes open up with a narration saying that kio and elis are married?

and i agree, i am sure with season 2 we would see the relationships develop more
Old 2010-09-28, 16:07   Link #1336
Mairsile
Athletic girls are sugoi!

If you are implying that he and Eris will "breed," it certainly won't happen with Kio responding to the girls the way he did throughout the entire series. Its more likely she'll have to skip many breeding seasons if she insists on waiting for his balls to drop.
Mairsile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 17:47   Link #1337
Qikz

I must say though, has anyone else noticed in harem animes, I guess this is kind of a harem anime. You've either got the guy who wants all the girls, but never actually gets them, or you get the guy who isn't really interested but the girls throw themselves at the protagonist all the time?

I would geuss the mix of both would just be a hentai, but either is fine. Kio is just another one of those where all the girls throw themselves at him, but he either doesn't realise, or when they actually make their move (the kisses at the end). He still doesn't seem to get the hint. :P
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 18:54   Link #1338
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
Also didnt one of the episodes open up with a narration saying that kio and elis are married?
That was also a spoof of Bewitched, and as such can only be accepted at its homage value.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 22:11   Link #1339
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Great anime but it seems that Kio is like an idiot

Come on second season
Old 2010-09-28, 22:21   Link #1340
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Kraft Lawrence from Wolf and Spice displayed little common sense when he continued to use Holo for risky business ventures that went sour. He admitted several times that he isn't a lover and has no idea how to deal with women. Because of that, he really came across as clueless when Holo was obviously interested in him. As frustrating it was to witness him make the same mistake repeatedly, I credit this to his inability to separate from his merchant mentality which was his biggest character flaw.
This one I really have to disagree with. Saying he continued to use Horo would be going too far. Relying on a partners skills and knowledge to get out of a pinch isn't going against common sense. Going against common sense would be to just try to reject any help and hope it all works out magically. I can say he started off with troubles due to inexperience, but to be fair Horo was a far more complicated character and her interest wouldn't be immediately obviously outside of having the third person view.

Quote:
If you are implying that he and Eris will "breed," it certainly won't happen with Kio responding to the girls the way he did throughout the entire series. Its more likely she'll have to skip many breeding seasons if she insists on waiting for his balls to drop.
Well if they go with the approach of the kiss the deed could be done without him ever realizing it . Really either Kio figures things out or Eris goes with the traditional fallback plan for her people.

One thing that surprises me though. With all their advanced tech the Cathians scanner couldn't detect a dense harem lead from that scan in the first episode .

Tags
comedy, romance, sci-fi, shounen