AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2010-09-11, 02:56   Link #161
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

I concur with Koda.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2010-09-11 at 05:48. Reason: Removed link that is not helping.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 03:11   Link #162
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
So, why the heck are you posting in this thread? You don't need to even bother since you don't even need subs. Kinda pointless I would say. Go away, you have nothing to contribute.
This is a public forum and anybody is entitled to post their opinions. I have strong opinions because I used to fansub and know how trivial it is to do things many people/groups don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneizel View Post
I think this attitude is a mistake.
Well, yeah. Sort of. It depends. I think people complaining about certain styles of translation (eg. too literal vs. too localised) should foad, but things like font choices are stupid to complain about, as long as it's readable. I've seen people complain about all manner of things; I was a subber for a number of years and worked on many projects, and no matter what, there were always people that complained about something. Some were valid complaints, but the vast majority were just stupid, especially for something they're not paying for. Many would be stupid gripes even with official translations and knowing DVD styling limits.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 08:28   Link #163
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
This is a public forum and anybody is entitled to post their opinions. I have strong opinions because I used to fansub and know how trivial it is to do things many people/groups don't.
But since you don't seem to be able to stick to the theme of the thread...
Old 2010-09-11, 16:34   Link #164
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
Well, yeah. Sort of. It depends. I think people complaining about certain styles of translation (eg. too literal vs. too localised) should foad, but things like font choices are stupid to complain about, as long as it's readable.
Well, if the font is unreadable, then it's a mistake, no?
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 04:49   Link #165
CryptWizard

Was mentioned earlier, but the biggest mistake is pointless waiting, often associated with "enterprise fansubbing", even though I'm sure that even enterprises have moved beyond that mentality...

Can I play Monopoly too?
CryptWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 07:34   Link #166
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptWizard View Post
Was mentioned earlier, but the biggest mistake is pointless waiting, often associated with "enterprise fansubbing", even though I'm sure that even enterprises have moved beyond that mentality...

Can I play Monopoly too?
Though this may not apply to you -
One of the biggest common mistakes made by any fansubber is trying to satisfy leechers by being fast. The leechers forget that this stuff is free and the fansubbers are dedicating their own time and money(equipment and such) to do them. Fansubbers can be as fast or slow as they want to be.
Old 2010-09-13, 08:00   Link #167
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
Though this may not apply to you -
One of the biggest common mistakes made by any fansubber is trying to satisfy leechers by being fast. The leechers forget that this stuff is free and the fansubbers are dedicating their own time and money(equipment and such) to do them. Fansubbers can be as fast or slow as they want to be.
It's been stated several times already but some of us aren't being fast to satisfy leechers, we're being fast because fansubbing sucks and we want to do other stuff instead.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 08:06   Link #168
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
It's been stated several times already but some of us aren't being fast to satisfy leechers, we're being fast because fansubbing sucks and we want to do other stuff instead.
Then you and others are making a common mistake by doing something you don't enjoy. If I didn't actually enjoy fansubbing(i.e. it sucked) I wouldn't do it.
Old 2010-09-13, 08:31   Link #169
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Isn't subbing a show you like a bigger mistake? Working on it makes you tired of it unless your love is masochistic to begin with, imo.

I have a certain fondness for CLAMP shows. If say none of them were licensed or subbed, I could really not see myself subbing shows like Card Captor Sakura or Magic Knight Rayearth, I would rather just watch them.
Old 2010-09-13, 08:35   Link #170
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Isn't subbing a show you like a bigger mistake? Working on it makes you tired of it unless your love is masochistic to begin with, imo.
Actually it isn't. I haven't grown tired of any of my favorite shows that I've worked on. I mean, I'm even re-mastering LOGH at the moment. When I'm done it will have been my 5th or 6th time through.

It's like I said, if you don't enjoy it you shouldn't be doing it.
Old 2010-09-13, 08:38   Link #171
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

...you can go in enjoying something fully then be totally sick of it by the end of the season.

Actually, why haven't any of us challenged the attitude that fansubbing is only something you should do if you enjoy it? Why are we all operating assuming that = not a mistake?
Old 2010-09-13, 08:56   Link #172
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Actually, why haven't any of us challenged the attitude that fansubbing is only something you should do if you enjoy it? Why are we all operating assuming that = not a mistake?
This is actually a very good point. In fact, it's probably an advantage to not enjoy it; you get a more dispassionate view of it and you're less affected by fanboyism, leecher hurfing and general trolling. Caring about something makes your vulnerable.

Also, a lot of fansubbing would probably not get done if people weren't doing it without enjoying it; a lot of groups sub shows just because they aren't subbed or because someone commissioned it.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 09:03   Link #173
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

The people who end up fansubbing the longest tend to do so because they enjoy FANSUBBING, not because they enjoy the anime they sub.

As for what people people actually enjoy about fansubbing, that can vary.
It can be the social interaction, it can be the feeling of giving to the fans (this part often gets smashed into pieces after a while ), it can be finding translating or editing an intellectually stimulating activity (I don't think there's anyone that's ever actually ENJOYED timing though....).

So to be on topic, one mistake individuals make is thinking that their love of a particular show will be motivation enough to continue working.
That alone is rarely enough.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 09:14   Link #174
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Sindalf enjoys timing!
Old 2010-09-13, 11:18   Link #175
bayoab

Quote:
I thought we were all aware this was BS and was just an act put on to give the leechers another BS excuse as to why fansubs are superior.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 17:13   Link #176
ConsiderPhlebas
CP
*Fansubber

Incorrect use of "everyday" is an everyday experience, I see it misused almost every day...
Old 2010-10-09, 11:52   Link #177
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Reading through this thread I realized...

Fansubbing sucks. It's not something I'd recommend getting into.
The most efficient method (other than being Crunchyroll and getting a script beforehand AND being paid to sub) is having 2 people. One to TL, one for everything else.
If you fansub an anime, be sure you actually like what you're doing, since you'll be watching the episode at least twice.

The biggest pet peeve of mine is oversubbing. I really don't get why groups spring up to subtitle crunchyroll-subbed shows. There is no competition. CR gets scripts hours before actual airing, their translator is a paid professional, their timing's fine. Why sub something redundant? What a waste of work (free, unpaid work that is).

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 16:14   Link #178
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
Reading through this thread I realized...

Fansubbing sucks. It's not something I'd recommend getting into.
The most efficient method (other than being Crunchyroll and getting a script beforehand AND being paid to sub) is having 2 people. One to TL, one for everything else.
If you fansub an anime, be sure you actually like what you're doing, since you'll be watching the episode at least twice.

The biggest pet peeve of mine is oversubbing. I really don't get why groups spring up to subtitle crunchyroll-subbed shows. There is no competition. CR gets scripts hours before actual airing, their translator is a paid professional, their timing's fine. Why sub something redundant? What a waste of work (free, unpaid work that is).
There's a demand for people to sub crunchyroll-subbed shows, isn't there? Regardless of the quality of their translations or their video, the "Crunchroll sucks!" mentality persists in a lot of people. Maybe subbers feel that they can produce a better quality product.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 18:42   Link #179
Desbreko
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Desbreko
If someone else is translating and you still have to watch each episode more than once, you're doing it wrong. Workflow should be something like encode > audio timing/typeset > timing post-processor in Aegisub > fix scene timing errors/edit/QC while watching the episode > mux and open up the file to make sure nothing's broken > release.

Another mistake I've run into recently is people blindly trusting Aegisub's font collector instead of actually making sure they know what fonts need to be included in the MKV. You should be especially careful of this when using bold or italic versions of fonts, as the collector will sometimes miss these and only grab the normal version.
Desbreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 12:37   Link #180
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
I see plenty of groups that just forget certain fonts altogether.