AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-25, 14:59   Link #161
marvelB

^My guess is that it's a bit of both. I mean, we already knew that at least Kaidou had control of some territories in the NW, so....
Old 2010-10-25, 16:04   Link #162
secretzfan
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
^^ I wonder if the other Yonkou are more like Whitebeard, having a somewhat set territory and islands under his protection or more like Shanks who just wanders all over the place.
I have a lot of bets they are like whitebeard as I always pictured Yonkou as being more organized. Shanks is different from the rest and it is still shocking has he is apart of them yonkou
Old 2010-10-25, 16:25   Link #163
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretzfan View Post
I have a lot of bets they are like whitebeard as I always pictured Yonkou as being more organized. Shanks is different from the rest and it is still shocking has he is apart of them yonkou
yonkou isn't a club it is a title given by the world government to the 4 strongest pirate int he new world.
Old 2010-10-25, 16:34   Link #164
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

The Yonkou are not only powerful but also influential on the world.

But yes it is not a title given to pirates by the World Government like the Shichibukai is, it's a title given by everyone in the world to who they think is most deserving of it. I bet some of the Yonkou don't even think they need a title for themseleves.
Old 2010-10-25, 16:38   Link #165
The_Three_Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
^^ I wonder if the other Yonkou are more like Whitebeard, having a somewhat set territory and islands under his protection or more like Shanks who just wanders all over the place.
Why can't they have both? Just because a Yonkou has islands under their protection doesn't mean they cant wander.

For example, even though Fishman Island was under Whitebeard's protection, he did not have to stay there to enforce his power.
Old 2010-10-25, 18:26   Link #166
Paraden1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Three_Kings View Post
Why can't they have both? Just because a Yonkou has islands under their protection doesn't mean they cant wander.

For example, even though Fishman Island was under Whitebeard's protection, he did not have to stay there to enforce his power.
that is probably what Jimbei is going to fix. He is probably going to step into Whitebeard's place for the protection of Merman Island. Oh yeah! speaking of Jimbei, i can't wait until Luffy sees Jimbei again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2010-10-25, 18:35   Link #167
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

Jimei's gonna get blown away over how much the crew has progressed.

So. Who thinks fishman island will be something like a huge grotto and everyone who's not a merperson wears bubbles on their head?
Old 2010-10-25, 18:44   Link #168
secretzfan
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
yonkou isn't a club it is a title given by the world government to the 4 strongest pirate int he new world.
I know that I am talking about them having the own independent territory
Old 2010-10-25, 19:43   Link #169
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
What gave you the impression Shanks is different from the rest? We know the Yonkou rule the New World, which means they all have multiple territories. It's only
natural they would have to move around occasionally to check up on their islands.
Old 2010-10-25, 20:06   Link #170
hero147

I don't think Shanks has multiple territories, considering that his pirate crew is so small in comparison to Whitebeard's. Even Kaidou had men to spare to guard his favourite islands.
Old 2010-10-25, 20:17   Link #171
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
I don't think Shanks has multiple territories, considering that his pirate crew is so small in comparison to Whitebeard's. Even Kaidou had men to spare to guard his favourite islands.
Kaidou has allies to guard his islands. It's doubtful he uses his primary crew to do it. Shanks could well be the same. In fact, they don't even really need guards. The mere fact that they claim dominion over an island should be enough to scare most people off.
Old 2010-10-25, 20:17   Link #172
secretzfan
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
What gave you the impression Shanks is different from the rest? We know the Yonkou rule the New World, which means they all have multiple territories. It's only
natural they would have to move around occasionally to check up on their islands.
Shanks has a small crew from what we know so it is petty natrual to say he doesn't own multiple territories
Old 2010-10-25, 20:41   Link #173
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by trafalgarcito View Post
i was kind of a shock for me when sentomaru said "STRAW HAT IS NOT A PIECE OF SHIT LIKE YOU" i dont know, it sounded discriminative, like a racial thing (infrahuman) gave me the kkk white supremacy vibe and made me think oda wants to make a new foundational myth: hard work + pure heart + "luck" = messiah... luffy is our "savior" elected from the "chosen ones"(chosen ones = hard workers)... i contrast this with jesus who is a savior but is just like everyone else, including the part of society that doesnt produce..(even though the apostles have superpowers, they dont consider themselves above anyone)...i just hate that is "ok" to discriminate people because they are lazy or because they commited crimes (you should take precautions while dealing with a former criminal, but this is not discrimination wich is a subjective feeling of superiority) we never should consider ourselves better than anyone else...i get this is a manga and luffy doesnt think like that either...but what about oda?? probably make fans think about discrimination in a negative way wasnt his intention, but here on the forum there is so much talk of power levels and "cannon fodder" that maybe they sometimes see poor people like that...
I'm pretty sure Oda (or the translators) was sneaking in oblique references to saviors and god with this character. Can be seen in all the "I am 400 mil" speeches and megalomaniac tendencies.
But linking that to an overall theme of racial/power discrimination and supremacy is way over the top.

Although there has been an ongoing theme of biasness/ misunderstanding of all pirates being bad from the marines.
Old 2010-10-25, 21:03   Link #174
The_Three_Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka?? View Post
I'm pretty sure Oda (or the translators) was sneaking in oblique references to saviors and god with this character. Can be seen in all the "I am 400 mil" speeches and megalomaniac tendencies.
But linking that to an overall theme of racial/power discrimination and supremacy is way over the top.

Although there has been an ongoing theme of biasness/ misunderstanding of all pirates being bad from the marines.
Well its not really a misunderstanding, except with the Straw Hats and maybe the Whitebeard and Red Hair pirates.

Pirates like Kidd, Arlong, Don Kreig, Blackbeard etc. all terrorize and harm civilians and generally cause chaos. Because most pirates are that, everyone views pirates as a menace.

The main perspective is that if you raise a pirate flag, you are pillaging villages, killing people, and thus are a threat.
Old 2010-10-26, 00:53   Link #175
raziel16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Three_Kings View Post
The main perspective is that if you raise a pirate flag, you are pillaging villages, killing people, and thus are a threat.
Speaking of that, was there any occassion at all where the Strawhats truly act like a pirate and raid someone else ship? I'm pretty sure there aren't things like that in the manga, but perhaps in the anime series or ova..

Anyway, they seem more "treasure hunter" than "pirate" to me
Old 2010-10-26, 00:57   Link #176
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

The only time they've ever acted like real pirates is when they "robbed" the Skypians at Luffy's suggestion. Had they just waited, the Skypians would have given them even more gold than they "stole", since it was worthless to them in the first place.
Old 2010-10-26, 01:12   Link #177
golgo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
The only time they've ever acted like real pirates is when they "robbed" the Skypians at Luffy's suggestion. Had they just waited, the Skypians would have given them even more gold than they "stole", since it was worthless to them in the first place.
yah that was kind of funny
Old 2010-10-26, 05:59   Link #178
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Bit late but... Awesome chapter!

The fakes are taken care of, and were really quite insignificant. The recruits of the fake crew didn't really get to show much, even the 200M brothers didn't show much. They should have been able to give a Pacifista some resistance at least, unless their bounty was mostly based on their marine killings.

Can't deny that I love it when Luffy and co. make such eye-popping impressions on others. Their strength has grown immensely, from struggling with a Pacifista with the entire crew to not only take them on solo but one-shotting them.

So the crew's reunion is finally at hand, and after that it will at long last be time for them to head to Fishman Island. Odds are that Jimbei has his hands full trying to keep the island from descending into chaos, and the Strawhats will be able to lend a hand. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the first battles they get into might be settled very decisively. Their mettle will be properly tested sooner or later though.

Then there's the matter of a new new world... What has changed during these two years, how have other rivals advanced in strength? The supernovas that went ahead into the new world should have evolved, although I can't imagine they have increased in strength like Luffy has. His and the entire crew's training has more or less especially suited for them so I think their growth has been very efficient in the past few years.

Too much to ponder, for now it's time to enjoy the reunion!
Old 2010-10-26, 07:40   Link #179
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Shanks has a small crew from what we know so it is petty natrual to say he doesn't own multiple territories
I don't think the size of the crew really matters. Quality>Quantity, and the fearsome reputation of the red-haired pirates is acknowledged by everyone. That alone warrants him to enforce ownership over different territories.

It wouldn't make much sense if Shanks is the only emperor who doesn't possess territories. He's a ruler just like his other 3 peers, and you can't be considered a ruler if you don't have any domains under your influence.
Old 2010-10-26, 09:42   Link #180
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
e's a ruler just like his other 3 peers, and you can't be considered a ruler if you don't have any domains under your influence.
Hes not a ruler..

Hes a pirate. Yonkou = 4 Emperors, meaning they have the power to act like Emperors, i,e. noone can stop them. They aren't literally Emperors, with territories an dhte like. We know Whitebeard has territories but we don't know about the other 3.