Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-14, 16:14   Link #1121
DBZAOTA482

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I think it might be a little overrated by the younger fans, but Dragonball is definitely the best action anime I've ever seen. The drawn out fight scenes were annoying but that is being remedied with Kai. Overall, if someone takes Dragonball for what it is - a superhero show without much seriousness, it is a lot of fun and I have trouble seeing how anyone can view it as overrated. Then again I am biased, it is one of my first anime and I can never forget/dislike it.
I agree completely,but the show did have it's moments,& not only was it fun,it had a great storyline and great character development.GT was pretty much everything a typical anti-Dragon Ball fan saw Dragon Ball as a whole : stupid,repetitive,boring,childish,immature,& lack substance.
Old 2010-10-14, 19:20   Link #1122
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
I agreed with everything you said except for Kai. I can't watch it at all.
Why is that? It's basically what DBZ should have been if they followed the manga properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZAOTA482 View Post
I agree completely,but the show did have it's moments,& not only was it fun,it had a great storyline and great character development.GT was pretty much everything a typical anti-Dragon Ball fan saw Dragon Ball as a whole : stupid,repetitive,boring,childish,immature,& lack substance.
Yeah, I think the storyline was great in how fun and original it is (in terms of new villains, their origins, etc), though definitely not great in terms of internal consistency... but that doesn't matter since the show doesn't rely on that. And GT pretty much is what all of DB gets stereotyped as, since Toriyama had no part in it. I think DBZ really just gets dragged down by the filler which is why I'm a big Kai supporter.
Old 2010-10-14, 22:41   Link #1123
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Why is that? It's basically what DBZ should have been if they followed the manga properly.
Part of it is I grew up watching the regular DBZ. Secondly, I don't like the editing of blood and nudity. The new voice actors aren't as good the originals in my opinion either.
Old 2010-10-15, 19:44   Link #1124
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
Part of it is I grew up watching the regular DBZ. Secondly, I don't like the editing of blood and nudity. The new voice actors aren't as good the originals in my opinion either.
They're all the same voice actors though. And I grew up with the original too, this is basically the original minus all the bad parts . Though I guess that's just my opinion.
Old 2010-10-16, 00:53   Link #1125
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^The REAL original is the first dub done by Pioneer (Eps 1-64 of the first run), and the voices and music selection was superior...Now that's not to say Funi didn't grow on me (Overall they've turned into a rather respectable outfit), but the first airing of DBZ had a certain crispness that was never seen again...I still love Vegeta's Funi voice (After the VA settled in), but his first dubbed voice was spectacular aswell...I sometimes think about how awesome it would have progressed...
Old 2010-10-16, 22:29   Link #1126
DBZAOTA482

Quote:

Yeah, I think the storyline was great in how fun and original it is (in terms of new villains, their origins, etc), though definitely not great in terms of internal consistency... but that doesn't matter since the show doesn't rely on that. And GT pretty much is what all of DB gets stereotyped as, since Toriyama had no part in it. I think DBZ really just gets dragged down by the filler which is why I'm a big Kai supporter.
Ok but I don't get why people always complain about dbz's pacing like it's the slowest paced anime in exsistence,Naruto,Bleach,or Inuyasha weren't faster paced yet people don't complain,in fact Naruto and Bleach are NOW slower paced,& Inuyasha was far slower paced(and ended LONG before the manga did as a testament of it's abysmal pacing)

I also don't get why everyone complains about the long fight scenes,they may have been very,very long but they were still great nonetheless,& what would people rather : Ridiculous filler episodes or stretched-out fight scenes
Old 2010-10-17, 01:35   Link #1127
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
They're all the same voice actors though. And I grew up with the original too, this is basically the original minus all the bad parts . Though I guess that's just my opinion.
The voice actors aren't the same. A good number of main characters are voiced by different people. What do you consider the "bad parts"?
Old 2010-10-27, 06:56   Link #1128
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
1. Naruto - I thought first season was decent because it looked like a ninja version of Dennis the Menace. But then they had to go with drama and a story that doesn't seem to go anywhere. Never mind the 7 minute recaps of what they did last episodes and slowly, and I mean slowly, explaining someone's powers for the last 7 minutes.

2. Dragon Ball - I can see why this series was popular in its hey-day. How often did you see cartoons that were pure action in the 90s? But still, you all know the well-known annoyances that made people turned off from the show. Fillers, plots going nowhere, etc. I don't remember much about what I saw, but I think I was annoyed about how the characters spent so much time on a saga just to revive one person and act like it's no big deal.

3. Elfen Lied - I don't appreciate how the series takes your emotions as hostages and disguises it as drama. I get it, the human characters are awful people. Every time something happens, I always picture a gasp track playing (like a laugh track, but with shocked gasps instead). I prefer to see conflict that isn't so forced.

4. Code Geass - I thought the premise was cool. I'm a sucker for alternate history fiction, but as the show progresses, it became so rushed and nonsensical that it hurts. The plot twists are something I expect from M. Night Shyamalan.

5. K-On! - I originally watched this to see what the big deal was. It's okay as a slice-of-life, but it's nothing to write home about. Except maybe for the ending song.

Now that I finished writing all that, I just realized I was typing about overrated shows I don't like. I should probably include overrated shows I do like for balance but oh well.
Old 2010-10-31, 03:44   Link #1129
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Send a message via MSN to WBoon
So, I went on a little rant about popular anime on Facebook just now, and I thought this is an appropriate place to C+P my rant, to share my views with the more hardcore anime fans rather than some smugs in my school who knows jackshit about a good story:

As of now, the 'kings' of anime are: Naruto, Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and to a lesser extent, One Piece (compared to the three, the popularity is dwindling). And of course, FMA:B is definitely the only one that's pure quality. No fanservice, no fillers, no cheesy remarks. Which is quite sad, considering there won't be another FMA:B or Code Geass or (even) Monster for another two to five years. But if you want to talk about popularity, the Queens of Anime are the ones which really succeed: K-On, Haruhi, Railgun, Aria the Animation, Elfen Lied - all of them either Shoujou anime or made mostly for girls. Amongst Japan, these are the top dogs, even more popular than Naruto, One Piece, or hell, Gundam. Who the Hell watches Gundam nowadays? It's done, people. There's no story left to tell.

On that note, I checked out the reviews of Gundam: Unicorn, and although I skimmed through them, there's one word I could make out from most of them in regards to the story: cliche. The reason the hate on mechas is so strong (I'm not talking about anime-biased fans here; I'm talking about the world population) is because the formula in stories of mechas are overused. Giant robot attacks. An even bigger robot, the good guy, defends. Bigger robot faces even bigger robot and loses. Good guy robot transforms even bigger and defeats bad guy. Sigh... you get the point. That's why when Iron Man was thrust with mecha... we just give a sigh.

On that note, shounen anime seems to be all about defeating one bad guy after another. Kinda like a videogame. We defeat this boss, and we move on to the next one. One Piece seems to demonstrate this trait quite a lot. I'm assuming Naruto and Bleach is no different. The point of the story is just to move on to beat even more powerful bad guys. That's the story.

Pokemon could be considered as the blueprint for anime like this. You beat one gym leader, and you move on to the next one. It's because of this that anime like these could never surpass other anime with a truly meaningful story to tell, instead of just wandering around in pointless fun like, say, K-On.

Also, do remember that popularity means two things - jack and shit. Anything in the world could be popular and still have no meaning in its existence.
Old 2010-10-31, 13:44   Link #1130
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBoon View Post
...and to a lesser extent, One Piece (compared to the three, the popularity is dwindling).
...One Piece, both the manga and anime, is among the most successful anime EVER, getting in twice the ratings of both Naruto and Bleach every week, and I believe volume 57 of the manga was one of Shonen Jump's highest-selling graphic novels of all time.

Quote:
K-On, Haruhi, Railgun, Aria the Animation, Elfen Lied - all of them either Shoujou anime or made mostly for girls.
...Dude... NONE of those shows are aimed at girls.
Old 2010-10-31, 23:33   Link #1131
Bananawaffles

My top 5 list is made up of anime that bored me to tears and invoked no emotions whatsoever despite being highly rated.

1. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (Umineko was even worse, but there are a lot of people that didn't like it either so it's not so much overrated)

2. FLCL

3. Samurai Champloo

4. Wolf's Rain (Although the OVA kicked ass)

5. Naruto/Bleach (Not just cause they're shounen, I happen to like the genre. These just fell flat half way through)
Old 2010-11-01, 13:21   Link #1132
Patch&Quilt

Quote:
So, I went on a little rant about popular anime on Facebook just now, and I thought this is an appropriate place to C+P my rant, to share my views with the more hardcore anime fans rather than some smugs in my school who knows jackshit about a good story:

As of now, the 'kings' of anime are: Naruto, Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and to a lesser extent, One Piece (compared to the three, the popularity is dwindling). And of course, FMA:B is definitely the only one that's pure quality. No fanservice, no fillers, no cheesy remarks. Which is quite sad, considering there won't be another FMA:B or Code Geass or (even) Monster for another two to five years. But if you want to talk about popularity, the Queens of Anime are the ones which really succeed: K-On, Haruhi, Railgun, Aria the Animation, Elfen Lied - all of them either Shoujou anime or made mostly for girls. Amongst Japan, these are the top dogs, even more popular than Naruto, One Piece, or hell, Gundam. Who the Hell watches Gundam nowadays? It's done, people. There's no story left to tell.

On that note, I checked out the reviews of Gundam: Unicorn, and although I skimmed through them, there's one word I could make out from most of them in regards to the story: cliche. The reason the hate on mechas is so strong (I'm not talking about anime-biased fans here; I'm talking about the world population) is because the formula in stories of mechas are overused. Giant robot attacks. An even bigger robot, the good guy, defends. Bigger robot faces even bigger robot and loses. Good guy robot transforms even bigger and defeats bad guy. Sigh... you get the point. That's why when Iron Man was thrust with mecha... we just give a sigh.

On that note, shounen anime seems to be all about defeating one bad guy after another. Kinda like a videogame. We defeat this boss, and we move on to the next one. One Piece seems to demonstrate this trait quite a lot. I'm assuming Naruto and Bleach is no different. The point of the story is just to move on to beat even more powerful bad guys. That's the story.

Pokemon could be considered as the blueprint for anime like this. You beat one gym leader, and you move on to the next one. It's because of this that anime like these could never surpass other anime with a truly meaningful story to tell, instead of just wandering around in pointless fun like, say, K-On.

Also, do remember that popularity means two things - jack and shit. Anything in the world could be popular and still have no meaning in its existence.
Lol. In Japan One Piece is more popular than Bleach and Naruto, so it's popularity is not dwindling. Brotherhood is far from "pure quality" with its forced comedy and repetitive action. And who seriously wants another Code Geass? A story full of plot holes and inconsistencies, CG is incredibly overrated.
Aria the Animation more popular than the big three? Seriously? That's funny.
Also, how exactly is Pokemon a blueprint for anything? Considering Dragonball aired 11 years prior to Pokemon.

The whole popularity automatically = jack shit, just makes you sound like an idiotic elitist and it's also contradictory of your previous statement since Brotherhood and CG are extremely popular. Try again.
Old 2010-11-18, 02:04   Link #1133
Amutox89
~ the odd one ~

1: Bleach. So many people are so obsessed with this, and I get it if that's what they like, they can like it but I just never got into it. I tried to, but I think it's overrated and kind of a bandwagon anime, so mainstream that some people think they have to watch it just to fit in. Then again, a lot of people genuinely like it, but I'm just not into it.

2: Naruto. Not gonna lie, I used to really love Naruto. But as the series went on, it just fell a little flat and they lost the whole "keep you wanting more" factor like they used to have in the beginning through to about the middle.

3: One Piece. Again, I used to be really into it but it seems really repetitive and even though they use different characters and such, not a whole lot gets accomplished anymore.

4: Pokemon. Oh god. They should have stopped after they introduced the Hoenn region. It was fine up until then, I grew up with the first couple seasons of pokemon and it's a good anime when you're young, but as you grow up and look back at fond memories with it, but you also look at what's going on now and in the past few years up until now, they're just butchering what should have stayed a fond memory.

and 5: The new Yu-Gi-Oh stuff. Just like pokemon, the original story and plot was a good memory, but almost as soon as they introduced all their GX nonsense, Yu-Gi-Oh died. It's just a bunch of new ways to play the silly over-complicated card game and it seems like they only do all this filler crud because they don't want it to end, when it just needs to.

That's it. I don't have much of a problem with any other anime.
Old 2010-11-18, 02:46   Link #1134
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Quote:
As of now, the 'kings' of anime are: Naruto, Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and to a lesser extent, One Piece (compared to the three, the popularity is dwindling).

Are you kidding~?

Not only is One Piece is the highest-selling manga in the history of Weekly Shonen Jump in Japa (the first manga to increase the magazine's sales in eleven years since Dragonball), but Volume 57 holds a manga publishing record in Japan, with 3 million copies published in its first printing alone, beating the previous record held by HARRY POTTER. The anime also gets more views per new episode than Bleach AND Naruto combined.

..... though, if you were refering to One Piece in the US and IT'S popularity, then I do gotta apologize. Funimation is trying their hardest dammit~
Old 2010-11-18, 08:11   Link #1135
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

1. FLCL
2. K-on
3. Elfin Lied
4. Ghost in a shell
5. ... i guess Strike Witches.
Old 2010-11-18, 22:19   Link #1136
Gintoki Aizawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananawaffles View Post
My top 5 list is made up of anime that bored me to tears and invoked no emotions whatsoever despite being highly rated.

2. FLCL
REALLY?! I consider FLCL to be one of the most emotionally successful anime of all time.

As for me...

Naruto: Pretty much a typical shounen series. I thought the different villages was a cool concept, but the series got very boring very fast.

Bleach: I gave it a good try, but I couldn't get into this one at all. Everything about it just seems one dimensional.

Durarara!!: I've tried to get into this series on several occasions, I just can't see the appeal.

Tsubasa Chronicles: This one made it on the list because it's rated #37 on Myanimelist's top anime. I thought the series was okay, but far from noteworthy. The premise was decent, but I thought it was 'meh' overall.

Inuyasha: Well, I wouldn't say it's overrated now-a-days, its fanbase seems to have dwindled a bit. I just found this series to be overwhelmingly boring and repetitive. The entire series can be summed up within a few episodes.
Old 2010-11-24, 18:36   Link #1137
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintoki Aizawa View Post
REALLY?! I consider FLCL to be one of the most emotionally successful anime of all time.

As for me...

Naruto: Pretty much a typical shounen series. I thought the different villages was a cool concept, but the series got very boring very fast.

Bleach: I gave it a good try, but I couldn't get into this one at all. Everything about it just seems one dimensional.

Durarara!!: I've tried to get into this series on several occasions, I just can't see the appeal.

Tsubasa Chronicles: This one made it on the list because it's rated #37 on Myanimelist's top anime. I thought the series was okay, but far from noteworthy. The premise was decent, but I thought it was 'meh' overall.

Inuyasha: Well, I wouldn't say it's overrated now-a-days, its fanbase seems to have dwindled a bit. I just found this series to be overwhelmingly boring and repetitive. The entire series can be summed up within a few episodes.
but while you like FLCL, people are laughing at you for watching bleach/naruto. its his list, got nothin to do with yours
Old 2010-11-24, 19:38   Link #1138
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

School Days.

If you say this one overrated and will be trolled to death.
Old 2010-11-24, 20:16   Link #1139
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amutox89 View Post
4: Pokemon. Oh god. They should have stopped after they introduced the Hoenn region. It was fine up until then, I grew up with the first couple seasons of pokemon and it's a good anime when you're young, but as you grow up and look back at fond memories with it, but you also look at what's going on now and in the past few years up until now, they're just butchering what should have stayed a fond memory.
I fully agree with this! I find Pokemon a very overrated anime that should have just ended awhile ago, not go on into more seasons and just be ongoing and show no signs of stopping.. I used to like Pokemon as a kid (during the very first season of Pokemon) but it was just neverending, so I quitted.
Old 2010-11-24, 20:35   Link #1140
KanaMinami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
...One Piece, both the manga and anime, is among the most successful anime EVER, getting in twice the ratings of both Naruto and Bleach every week, and I believe volume 57 of the manga was one of Shonen Jump's highest-selling graphic novels of all time.
Agree with this one, One Piece is far more superior than the other Big 2,

I think it is OP > Naruto > Bleach.

^ and Pokemon is sure over rated, always starting new adventures (repetitive manner) but with a different face... sigh..

is the fairy this coming season
// Sig by ganbaru
Closed Thread