Notices

Old 2010-11-07, 14:03   Link #961
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Upcoming episodes:

Spoiler:

So much for those saying that the "plot" is now going to kick into gear. :P

Yep that's what I expected unfortunately. Chuck to the Future does sound awesome.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 14:10   Link #962
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I honestly couldn't give two shits about the plot in Panty Stocking though. I think the entire concept is ridiculous and stupid. The only reason I continued watching after the horrible first two weeks, is because the third week had awesome gags.

I find that out of the various gags and stories they present every week, I like about half of them, and I'm turned off or annoyed by the other half, so the promise of ongoing variety and shifting gears all the time is really the only thing that keeps me watching. If they decided to focus on any sort of storyline and stopped being episodic and random every week, I would definitely stop watching the show.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 15:32   Link #963
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

What happened to you duck?, you used to be cool.

In my own retarded opinion, episode 6 just quadrupled my love for this show. They better make some character goods of the demon sisters too!
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 15:36   Link #964
Vicious108

Quote:
I honestly couldn't give two shits about the plot in Panty Stocking though. I think the entire concept is ridiculous and stupid.
Says the guy with a Star Driver avatar. Oh boy.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 15:38   Link #965
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
Upcoming episodes:

Spoiler:

Oh wow. Many great names here specially the animation directors.
2ch list I guess...waiting for confirmation even if it looks true.
Old 2010-11-07, 16:14   Link #966
Kallen4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
this

also, Chuck is possibly my favorite character
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 17:13   Link #967
KROMEangel
Baby Got Back

Pa-pa-pa-pa--pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa--

Brief is just not having a lucky day; He gets bombarded by red carpets, shot at, almost run over, and held hostage while neither Panty nor Stocking give a damn.

And just when he gets the chance, he tries to be a gentleman and Panty instantly cockblocks him. Poor guy.

Quote:
/ohsnap
KROMEangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 18:09   Link #968
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
What's your point? I think Star Driver is a much worse show than Panty and Stocking after 6 episodes. What does my avatar have anything to do with it? Head is a cool character because Akira Ishida rocks.

I'm simply saying that the plot and concept in Panty and Stocking isn't why I watch the show. I watch it because each week offers something unique and different because they can be creative and random. It's like the difference between Fumoffu and TSR. Someone who does not like the FMP "story" can still enjoy Fumoffu, but not TSR.

I really liked episode 6 too, I don't see why anyone thinks otherwise. But it definitely wasn't for the story or anything. :P
Old 2010-11-07, 18:13   Link #969
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Both shows appear on the surface very superficial and ridiculous, but behind all the glitter and sparkles, Star Drive does have a serious side. While underneath the shit monsters and undergarments, P&S is an Adult Swim show taking the rule of cool to the max. Both have their cons and pros, but they shouldn't be compared as they are very different at their core.

Personally, I liked episode 6 because it had really cool action, though the (literal) toilet still rubs me the wrong way at times. I don't really expect much from the ''plot'' of this show, because I'm not watching it for it (nor do I think it's the point of this show)
Old 2010-11-07, 18:22   Link #970
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I'm really surprised by the replies, as if I have somehow insulted the show and and have said something completely unacceptable. We're talking about an episodic action comedy done in a really wacky style, with tons of vulgar and crude jokes.

Extreme toilet humor and watching the leads being mean and moronic is not really something I enjoy watching, so some of the episodes turn me off. I don't think that's an unfair statement to make. But there's a lot of variety in the series, which is why I have continued watching. Not knowing what to expect exactly each week means that there's at least a 50:50 chance that I'll actually find the stories funny and entertaining. If I don't, well that's not the end of the world since there's always another week to look forward to.

I'm simply expressing why I feel that it's a great thing for the series to continue on the same format of not letting the audience know what to expect each week, rather than changing direction and following a linear storyline from week 6 onwards. Some other viewers clearly would prefer if the show ditched the episodic format and that every episode be like week 6, but I feel that would be a waste and make the show boring.
Old 2010-11-07, 18:30   Link #971
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Upcoming episodes:

Spoiler:

You know, I should really thank you for this. Episodes 19-21 being all by the exact same team had me really confused, but the way in which you're putting it makes a lot of sense. They're using them for a time-traveling gag!

Regardless, this listing has me a lot more excited than a listing showing some sort of plot or whatever would have because it pretty much confirms that at least for the next 4 or so weeks we aren't getting another weakly animated episode like 8. People should be happy that Gainax isn't dropping the ball staff/animation-wise and not disappointed that they aren't following a plot. Besides, the fact that Ootsuka is writing most of the episodes is worthy of celebration since he is easily the one that handles the characters the best.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 18:36   Link #972
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
You know, I should really thank you for this. Episodes 19-21 being all by the exact same team had me really confused, but the way in which you're putting it makes a lot of sense. They're using them for a time-traveling gag!

Regardless, this listing has me a lot more excited than a listing showing some sort of plot or whatever would have because it pretty much confirms that at least for the next 4 or so weeks we aren't getting another weakly animated episode like 8. People should be happy that Gainax isn't dropping the ball staff/animation-wise and not disappointed that they aren't following a plot. Besides, the fact that Ootsuka is writing most of the episodes is worthy of celebration since he is easily the one that handles the characters the best.
Yeah I was confused by the episode listing at first too, then I found another listing from Young Ace that separated the weeks which helped a lot. I didn't want to post until the info looked coherent. No point confusing people.

I'm personally very excited to see what Ryochimo and Nobutaka Ito have to offer in their segments. I also expect ep19-21 to be really creative in format and gags, because Koyama did such a wonderful job with ep6. I really wonder what sort of art style Ito will bring to his segment though. Even when working with Hosoda and Yuasa his design and animation style changes depending on the requirements of the show.
Old 2010-11-07, 18:43   Link #973
7Th
Mixtape

Something still has me confused, though.

On episode 17, Ryuichi Kimura is listed as AD. Ryuichi Kimura isn't an animator. Isn't it possible that they just got him confused with Koichi Kimura? I mean, they already got Koichi Motomura mixed up with Koichi Kimura last month...
Old 2010-11-07, 18:52   Link #974
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
I'm really surprised by the replies, as if I have somehow insulted the show and and have said something completely unacceptable. We're talking about an episodic action comedy done in a really wacky style, with tons of vulgar and crude jokes.

<snip>

I'm simply expressing why I feel that it's a great thing for the series to continue on the same format of not letting the audience know what to expect each week, rather than changing direction and following a linear storyline from week 6 onwards. Some other viewers clearly would prefer if the show ditched the episodic format and that every episode be like week 6, but I feel that would be a waste and make the show boring.
It's the internet. Sh*t happens. People get upset over anything nowadays.

But ep 6 was still divided into 2 halves. It had a card that said "to be continued" on it before going to the second half. (CR version)
Old 2010-11-07, 18:53   Link #975
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Something still has me confused, though.

On episode 17, Ryuichi Kimura is listed as AD. Ryuichi Kimura isn't an animator. Isn't it possible that they just got him confused with Koichi Kimura? I mean, they already got Koichi Motomura mixed up with Koichi Kimura last month...
Who is "they"? The actual credits from Newtype, like the credits we get every month, don't list any role for the credited names. The credits being updated on ANN at the moment are at best guesswork (I don't know who's updating it either). That's why I simply list the credits in the order they're given in the Japanese source, instead of specifying a role.

It's entirely possible (and likely) that for ep17, Masahiko Otsuka is writing the script, Kazuya Tsurumaki is handling the storyboards, Ryuichi Kimura is directing the episode, and Satoshi Yamaguchi is the animation director. Or it could be some other combination of roles, because in the past sometimes they even credit someone for the "plot" of the episode, and someone else for the actual script.
Old 2010-11-07, 18:57   Link #976
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Who is "they"? The actual credits from Newtype, like the credits we get every month, don't list any role for the credited names.
What I mean is that NewType credited Koichi Motomura for episode 7 and he wasn't involved in the episode:

http://anime.webnt.jp/program/index....il&detail=4191

Quote:
■7話 (10/22) ダイエット・シンドローム
スイーツの食べ過ぎを指摘され、すぐにダイエットを始めたストッキング。同じころ、ダテンシティでは女性た ちが突然肥満化するという怪事件が多発していた。≫スタッフ=大塚雅彦、小松田大全、富田浩章 、本村晃一
Old 2010-11-07, 19:12   Link #977
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
What I mean is that NewType credited Koichi Motomura for episode 7 and he wasn't involved in the episode:

http://anime.webnt.jp/program/index....il&detail=4191
Huh? He most certainly was.

http://newtype.kadocomic.jp/psg/story/

Quote:
第7話「ダイエット・シンドローム」
スタッフ/大塚雅彦、小松田大全、富田浩章、本村晃一
Spoiler for Image from the episode:

The Koichi Kimura credit from the episode's subtitles is a mistake. Someone read the credits wrongly as 木村光一. Someone should really correct the ANN stuff, because it's wrong for every episode he's done.
Old 2010-11-07, 19:16   Link #978
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Huh? He most certainly was.

http://newtype.kadocomic.jp/psg/story/

Spoiler for Image from the episode:

The Koichi Kimura credit from the episode's subtitles is a mistake. Someone read the credits wrongly as 木村光一. Someone should really correct the ANN stuff, because it's wrong for every episode he's done.
Ah, I see. That certainly makes more sense. Crunchy was doing a pretty good job so far, too...
Old 2010-11-07, 19:30   Link #979
Dracova

Quote:
Extreme toilet humor and watching the leads being mean and moronic is not really something I enjoy watching, so some of the episodes turn me off. I don't think that's an unfair statement to make.
I do, though. That's me, and this is you. The delightful batshit insanity of this series, the casual vulgarity, the way the characters behave like toons as opposed to conventional anime fare - these are all fresh, rare and amazing.

You must understand my viewpoint, because surely it isn't unique: I've seen a lot of anime. The majority of it is very formulaic. Slice of life; schoolchildren; stock characters; orderly and predictable behavior. This series, however, is as though a disenfranchised suicidal schizoid unicorn, formerly a cast member in a Hanna-Barbara cartoon series - while high on PCP, waving guns around - broke into a committee meeting, grabbed the script for a generic mahou shoujo series, chewed it up, then threw it up all over the table in a font of sparkly hallucinogenic unicorn puke. It's something new. I felt like this when watching FLCL for the first time.

Look, I understand if you think it's crude and repugnant, since a couple of my good friends seem to agree; but this series is making me feel things I haven't felt since watching Bakemonogatari. That one was an abstract, postmodern representation of a teenage romance; this one is an abstract, postmodern representation of mahou shoujo (plus western toons - Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon).

I guess it also helps that I liked Genndy Tartakovsky's art style, and especially the demented nature of PowerPuff Girls :heretic:
Dracova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 19:34   Link #980
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Looking back at the credits for all the episodes so far, I'm pretty amazed that Otsuka worked on every single episode I really enjoyed. Wakabayashi wrote episodes which I really didn't enjoy though. Hopefully that doesn't turn into a trend because the next episodes he's writing involve Amemiya and Masayuki. <3

Tags
comedy, gainax, seinen