AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-07, 21:41   Link #541
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorno View Post
Misaka is a 2nd year middle schooler IIRC, so 14 years old
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
And Touma is a 1st year high schooler, therefore he's 16 years old.

What is more suprising is Index always is described to be 14-15 in the novels.
Old 2010-11-07, 22:05   Link #542
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdlc View Post
I was always wondering why Juujikyou is translated into Christianity, but perhaps is it an official translation officially used somewhere in the novel like Anglican Church is? Juujikyou is obviously modeled after Christianity, but not Christianity itself and has never been called such way. That made me wonder.
Spoiler:
Old 2010-11-08, 05:33   Link #543
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Well, one thing to note is that the RCC, English Anglicans and Russian Orthodox all exist in real life (an Anglican here). But given the context, I assume we'll just let it be fictional in this case.
Old 2010-11-09, 14:20   Link #544
thirdlc

The author uses coined words like 十字教, イギリス清教, ローマ正教 and ロシア成教, instead of actual words like キリスト教 (Christianity), 英国国教会 (Church of England), ローマ・カトリック (Roman Catholic Church), ロシア正教 (Russian Orthodox Church).

I don't like it that those are directly referred, ignoring the author's intention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Translated directly, イギリス清教 becomes British Puritan, but Chapter 3 of volume 7 indicates otherwise, so yeah...
Looking at these names, it's possible that the author just wants to make them end with "seikyou" and there is not much meaning in 清.

イギリス清教 (Igirisu seikyou), ローマ正教 (Roma seikyou), ロシア成教 (Roshia seikyou), 天草式十字凄教 (Amakusa-shiki juuji seikyou) and
Spoiler:
Old 2010-11-09, 19:32   Link #545
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Ah, I see, so just a translator's mistake (regarding age).

I never understood why anime characters were always so young... It's alright, they still kick plenty of ass.
Old 2010-11-10, 02:54   Link #546
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I think it's much more easier to make characters which are young because adults develop too complicated personalities and is a challenge when it comes to interactions. Perhaps the genre itself might be responsible as well.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-11-10, 06:35   Link #547
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdlc View Post
The author uses coined words like 十字教, イギリス清教, ローマ正教 and ロシア成教, instead of actual words like キリスト教 (Christianity), 英国国教会 (Church of England), ローマ・カトリック (Roman Catholic Church), ロシア正教 (Russian Orthodox Church).

I don't like it that those are directly referred, ignoring the author's intention.

Looking at these names, it's possible that the author just wants to make them end with "seikyou" and there is not much meaning in 清.

イギリス清教 (Igirisu seikyou), ローマ正教 (Roma seikyou), ロシア成教 (Roshia seikyou), 天草式十字凄教 (Amakusa-shiki juuji seikyou) and
Spoiler:
Oh, so that's why they have all the 'seikyous' down there. Was wondering about it. Thanks for clarifying.

Hey, stop looking at me, even translators have things they don't know.
Old 2010-11-10, 07:06   Link #548
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Anyway, at least Volume 7 gives us the canon translation of most of those factions.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2010-11-10, 07:54   Link #549
tsunade666

But I still like the translation of Roman Catholics, Anglican Church and Russian Orthodox. Beside it was modeled on it to begin with. But if it's still bugging other people then just think it's just fiction and stop being so fixated on it.

I also wonder why agnese in Anime said Roma Seikyou. So that's why.
Old 2010-11-10, 08:13   Link #550
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

So スペイン星教 is not actually the Spanish Stellar Denomination but the Spanish Catholic Church? O.O
I need to take note of that, also the Amakusa Style Remix of Church for 天草式十字凄教.

Old 2010-11-10, 09:34   Link #551
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

This would need an entire overhaul...
Old 2010-11-10, 09:46   Link #552
tsunade666

don't. I think it doesn't need changes or anything. Unless more complaint comes or something. Maybe a poll would help? but I like the way things are.
Old 2010-11-13, 14:45   Link #553
Dextro
He Without a Title

So quick question: are the light novels translated to english or just fan translated?
Old 2010-11-13, 15:17   Link #554
outerelf

Fan translated into English
Old 2010-11-14, 08:03   Link #555
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Something's been bugging me, why does Accelerator's name in Japanese read as "一方通行" or "Ippō Tsūkō" ?
Old 2010-11-14, 08:44   Link #556
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quick question regarding the practice of Faith in Academy City:

Is it illegal to be religious or practice one's faith in the city's walls or something?

It seems that whenever one needs to pray, he or she must leave the city's bounds to even find a simple Shinto Temple or Chapel.

Funny how the head honcho of Academy City is himself a magic user who puts on a public front of suppressing and persecuting the supernatural, much like how a certain Galactic Emperor persecutes force users while himself a force user.
Old 2010-11-14, 08:48   Link #557
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post

Is it illegal to be religious or practice one's faith in the city's walls or something?

It seems that whenever one needs to pray, he or she must leave the city's bounds to even find a simple Shinto Temple or Chapel.

Funny how the head honcho of Academy City is himself a magic user who puts on a public front of suppressing and persecuting the supernatural, much like how a certain Galactic Emperor persecutes force users while himself a force user.

The impression given is that there are hardly any or even no place of worship in Academy City. I suppose you can't stop people from believing in God, but don't expect a place to worship him.

Of course I wouldn't put it past Aleister to do extensive background checks before letting in a Student.
Old 2010-11-14, 08:48   Link #558
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Nah, it's more like there isn't a place of worship in Academy City. With all the powers running rampant in Academy City, it's no wonder that no one would believe in magic if you ask them. In a certain way, science is their religion.
Old 2010-11-14, 10:37   Link #559
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post

It's more like how people with brains that learn how the universe work wouldn't believe in such thing. In a world if science where everything is explain through science. Their is no such thing as occult stuff.

Some are still believers though but they would probably need to submit papers to leave the city and that would be hassle.
Old 2010-11-16, 11:22   Link #560
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Some are still believers though but they would probably need to submit papers to leave the city and that would be hassle.
Hmm, leading to another question: Touma can barely afford to have food and fresh water daily; how the heck did he get to leave Academy city in Season 2's Nuns-Saga when he can obviously NOT afford the expensive paperwork to do so on such short notice?

Tags
q&a