AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Rating
Perfect 10 236 64.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 95 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 6.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-23, 23:22   Link #381
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
lol a below average? that's a first.
Old 2010-11-24, 01:25   Link #382
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
I can't believe I actually read almost every single post of this thread. I must have too much free time on my hands.

But seriously, kudos to everyone, especially (in no particular order) gamer_2k4, quigonkenny, VCV, Ice Block et al. The fact that there are so many different interpretations of the franchise as a whole is testament that it is far deeper than most would like to admit.

Wow, what a movie. I actually watched it twice, because the first time was kinda lackluster due to the horrible venue. I do agree that the first hour seems kinda draggy... Then everything starts to pick up once Kyon assembles the team.

I personally rate the film 9.5/10, only because in my opinion the pacing of the first half could be better. Again, just my opinion.

Also, did anyone else find the choice of Gymnopedies really appropriate and moving for the Yuki scenes?
I thought the same about the pace, but then I thought about why they may have done it that way. And I realized that pretty much everything in between the party planning scene and the start of his reunion quest is the epitome of everything he might be doing if he weren't in on the Haruhi secret. Dull, dreary drudgery, day after day. KyoAni (and by extension Tanigawa, to some degree) is using that tone like The Wizard of Oz used black and white. Only instead of using a visual cue to accentuate the "hyper-reality" of Oz over the real world, they're using an emotional cue to accentuate the "unreality" of the SOS-Dan and all things related to to it, and maybe impart a little of what the protagonist is feeling.
Old 2010-11-24, 07:39   Link #383
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
I thought the same about the pace, but then I thought about why they may have done it that way. And I realized that pretty much everything in between the party planning scene and the start of his reunion quest is the epitome of everything he might be doing if he weren't in on the Haruhi secret. Dull, dreary drudgery, day after day. KyoAni (and by extension Tanigawa, to some degree) is using that tone like The Wizard of Oz used black and white. Only instead of using a visual cue to accentuate the "hyper-reality" of Oz over the real world, they're using an emotional cue to accentuate the "unreality" of the SOS-Dan and all things related to to it, and maybe impart a little of what the protagonist is feeling.
I have never thought about it that way before. You make a good point. Although not having seen or read the Wizard of Oz I won't be able to make that extension.

Once again, we see that KyoAni, puts the story above the enjoyment of the audience. Not that I didn't enjoy it... I didn't enjoy it as much as the second half. It's just like how KyoAni made us go through Endless Eight to put us in the shoes of Yuki eh?

And regarding Yuki, an observation and a question...

Observation: The fact that Alt!Yuki had that memory of the library visit (albeit modified slightly) must mean that it was a very precious memory to normal (alien) Yuki...

Question: Where did Alt!Yuki's personality come from? Was it arbitarily created by Yuki, or as I like to think it, the "human" part of herself that she isolated and extracted, and put into the human form of herself?
Old 2010-11-24, 12:44   Link #384
Othello~
*Author

Quote:
Question: Where did Alt!Yuki's personality come from? Was it arbitarily created by Yuki, or as I like to think it, the "human" part of herself that she isolated and extracted, and put into the human form of herself?
Now that you mention it . . . I sort of wonder about that too. I like to believe that her personality was based off her observations during the three years + 15,000 rotations in endless eight. I think it was the human that had grown inside her during that time (and like you said it was isolated by Haruhi's powers).

Another theory is that she was Yuki's dream, which I also like.
Old 2010-11-24, 14:20   Link #385
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

I always assumed it would be whatever would be left of Yuki after her omniscience and omnipotence were stripped. Original Yuki could always be so calm and direct because she would have to know that no matter what happened, she could handle it, whether that's as simple as a locked door that needs to be unlocked, or as extreme as a rogue alien that's trying to kill people.

Humans learn to cope with the uncertainty of fallibility, but Yuki would've never had that chance. That's why, stripped of her powers, she became shy and introverted. When you don't know any better, what's the best option except hiding from all the craziness in the world?
Old 2010-11-24, 21:20   Link #386
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
I have never thought about it that way before. You make a good point. Although not having seen or read the Wizard of Oz I won't be able to make that extension.
It's a simple trope that's fairly self-explanatory and has been redone a number of times since. Dorothy, the heroine of the piece, is drawn away to a fantastical world, Oz (no relation to Australia), where she has an adventure. All the scenes in Oz are in color, while all those at home on her farm in Kansas are in black and white.

It's not that bad for a 70-year-old movie (although it was quite a bit overplayed for a while here in the States), and well worth a look if only to see its influences on movies that have come since (both subtle and oh-so-obvious). It's a fair bet that though you may not have seen the movie, you've seen just about everything in it somewhere else.
Old 2010-11-30, 23:03   Link #387
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello~ View Post
Now that you mention it . . . I sort of wonder about that too. I like to believe that her personality was based off her observations during the three years + 15,000 rotations in endless eight. I think it was the human that had grown inside her during that time (and like you said it was isolated by Haruhi's powers).

Another theory is that she was Yuki's dream, which I also like.
I like to think of it as the version of herself that she feels will best entice Kyon, that she's most comfortable living as.
Old 2010-12-02, 16:56   Link #388
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
I like to think of it as the version of herself that she feels will best entice Kyon, that she's most comfortable living as.
I sorta agree with that opinion to, since she created this world for Kyon, she probably created her own personality that best fits Kyon's interests in the years of observations, and the days of close observation when Kyon came around.
Old 2010-12-02, 19:48   Link #389
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I sorta agree with that opinion to, since she created this world for Kyon, she probably created her own personality that best fits Kyon's interests in the years of observations, and the days of close observation when Kyon came around.
I'm not sure I agree with that interpretation. Kyon left Alt!Yuki for Haruhi, after all, and that shouldn't have happened if that Yuki was tailor-made for Kyon's interests based on 600 years of research.
Old 2010-12-02, 20:23   Link #390
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
What personality? She didn't have a personality. She was an artificial construct. Bereft of her data manipulation powers, she just sat there.

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2010-12-02 at 21:45.
Old 2010-12-02, 20:35   Link #391
Zero_Kami
RAWR!

Wow the movie seems nice! Ill try to buy it sometime
Old 2010-12-04, 21:35   Link #392
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that interpretation. Kyon left Alt!Yuki for Haruhi, after all, and that shouldn't have happened if that Yuki was tailor-made for Kyon's interests based on 600 years of research.
Yuki probably had her emotions temporarily take over her before she created this artificial world, or probably thought that things would be better off if Kyon never knew Haruhi in the first place, and just went for Yuki. Of course we could have already told that, but it was quite surprising that Kyon actually chose Haruhi, over the peaceful and quiet life that he could have enjoyed with Yuki. Especially when Kyon went back in time before the change there was a small quote that said "I'll never forgive you" or somewhere along that, that probably meant that Yuki felt saddened that Kyon just left her, after all she did for him?
Old 2010-12-04, 21:44   Link #393
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Yuki probably had her emotions temporarily take over her before she created this artificial world, or probably thought that things would be better off if Kyon never knew Haruhi in the first place, and just went for Yuki. Of course we could have already told that, but it was quite surprising that Kyon actually chose Haruhi, over the peaceful and quiet life that he could have enjoyed with Yuki. Especially when Kyon went back in time before the change there was a small quote that said "I'll never forgive you" or somewhere along that, that probably meant that Yuki felt saddened that Kyon just left her, after all she did for him?
The quote you are referring to was originally spoken by Asakura in the elevator ride with Kyon. In the conversation, she tells him that if he hurts Yuki, she'll never forgive him.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2010-12-04, 21:48   Link #394
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
The quote you are referring to was originally spoken by Asakura in the elevator ride with Kyon. In the conversation, she tells him that if he hurts Yuki, she'll never forgive him.
Thanks for the explanation ultimatemegax, I was defiantly confused who said that. So that resulted in the stab scene, or the simple thought of just seeing Kyon point a gun at Yuki.
Old 2010-12-04, 22:01   Link #395
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation ultimatemegax, I was defiantly confused who said that. So that resulted in the stab scene, or the simple thought of just seeing Kyon point a gun at Yuki.
Remember exactly when that critical scene occurred chronologically: around 04:25 12.18. The conversation occurred in early evening 12.19, thus Asakura would have no way of knowing that she said it. It's used as a bit of foreshadowing for later events in the movie timeline.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2010-12-04, 22:04   Link #396
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Remember exactly when that critical scene occurred chronologically: around 04:25 12.18. The conversation occurred in early evening 12.19, thus Asakura would have no way of knowing that she said it. It's used as a bit of foreshadowing for later events in the movie timeline.
Now that you put it that way, it does make more sense, thank you once again ultimatemegax
Old 2010-12-05, 19:52   Link #397
Othello~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
That's because she only observed his actions and not his emotions (or his denial that he actually liked all the weird things that were going on). If you listened to Kyon complaining about Haruhi Suzumiya for 600 years, wouldn't you think that he hated her guts?

And she didn't want Kyon to choose her, she wanted Kyon to make a choice for himself. That's how selfless she happens to be
Old 2010-12-06, 08:34   Link #398
s07195
However,

It was AWESOME!!!!!!
And I got a film bookmark!
Old 2010-12-10, 00:27   Link #399
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello~ View Post
That's because she only observed his actions and not his emotions (or his denial that he actually liked all the weird things that were going on). If you listened to Kyon complaining about Haruhi Suzumiya for 600 years, wouldn't you think that he hated her guts?

And she didn't want Kyon to choose her, she wanted Kyon to make a choice for himself. That's how selfless she happens to be
A part of Yuki was selfless, but certainly not all of her. She gave Kyon a VERY strict time limit to undo her actions, and in fact gave no clue at all in how to go about it. Yuki Nagato was going insane; she wasn't in complete control of her own actions.
Old 2010-12-10, 09:20   Link #400
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
A part of Yuki was selfless, but certainly not all of her. She gave Kyon a VERY strict time limit to undo her actions, and in fact gave no clue at all in how to go about it. Yuki Nagato was going insane; she wasn't in complete control of her own actions.
On the other hand, I would argue that based on her observation of Kyon the Procrastinator during Endless Eight ("I don't care anymore..."), if there wasn't a time limit Kyon will just be dragging his feet
Closed Thread

Tags
best movie ever, haruhi suzumiya