Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-12, 18:16   Link #81
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
^ Decent is subjective, my friend. I've enjoyed the fights post Thriller Bark.
I never claimed that I didn't enjoy Whitebeard destroying everyone in a single panel . I said the fights were not decent (which I've already defined in a previous post). To put it simplistically, while it was fun to see Whitebeard destroy John Giant in one punch, they didn't actually fight. There was no challenge and no emotional investment. Just one amazing force against someone clearly beneath them.

To put it another way, the drama of the war was quite good, but the fights were boring outside of their explosive GAR-ness.
Old 2010-12-12, 19:44   Link #82
mr.muscles

Location: west coast is where i live and it can't be beat no matter what.
so your looking for something like the SH vs CP9 in order for you to classify anything as a good fight?

^_^
Old 2010-12-12, 20:12   Link #83
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.muscles View Post
so your looking for something like the SH vs CP9 in order for you to classify anything as a good fight?
Or the fights on Thriller Bark? I mean, I think it's safe to say that that was the last time the Strawhats could actually put a dent into their enemy. Just barely. They all had to pool their resources on that one, that doesn't usually happen seeing as CP9 was defeated on a 1 vs 1 basis.

I agree with james that the fights post Thriller Bark have lacked producing any real involvement on my part.
Old 2010-12-13, 01:43   Link #84
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.muscles View Post
Yeah, pretty much. As I've said, there has been some good drama (some very good drama), but no real good fights. Everything is solved in a chapter (if not a panel or even off screen), leaving us with nothing but unsatisfying short encounters (with either clear winners (Whitebeard vs. anyone) or very unclear endings (Crocodile vs. anyone; Mihawk vs. anyone; etc)). This is good for the story, but boring for those of us wanting epic fights (something One Piece has a stellar history of before the War Arc started).

Even now, we are still in a transitional arc, and I am unconvinced that Fishman Island will actually be anything but a relatively brief stopping point before the full arc begins shortly thereafter (btw, I hope I am wrong).
Old 2010-12-13, 10:41   Link #85
SMASHERJACKSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I never claimed that I didn't enjoy Whitebeard destroying everyone in a single panel . I said the fights were not decent (which I've already defined in a previous post). To put it simplistically, while it was fun to see Whitebeard destroy John Giant in one punch, they didn't actually fight. There was no challenge and no emotional investment. Just one amazing force against someone clearly beneath them.

To put it another way, the drama of the war was quite good, but the fights were boring outside of their explosive GAR-ness.
i agree with your sentiment and im mad GAR for pwnstache, but i guess oda used the war as more of a sneak peak of what to expect from the big guns rather then spoil us rotten halfway.

As for the chapter, despite only rly been given a sneap peak from the war arc, evrything seems rly dull now in comparison to me personally tho still not dull itself, but i get the feeling thats more to do with having the anime remind me of all the epic stuff in war while this current arc is going on.
Old 2010-12-13, 22:10   Link #86
secretzfan
*Fansubber

Quote:
So i guess i was just imaging all those fights between Skypeia and Marineford
And Marineford was not to long ago. There is always a certain amount of setup between battles; they do have to get to a new location and set up the story for the next fight afterall... Hell a lot of those chapters after marineford chapters can be summed up as "we are so weak, how can we get stronger so we can be prepared for future fights"
There were some just okay ones but since Skypiea everything else was just weak fights. OP focuses mostly on story which I like and enjoy, but even Marineford wasn't that epic or decent for that matter. Other fights like Boa was mostly story build up. I can't say much for Enies Lodge because I have only began studying what happened there but most of the fight especially the admiral ones weren't that great. The best fights were Skypia and some fights before that, but it isn't like I have a problem with OP being like that. It is on a good role now that Luffy has a power boost maybe now will see more battles similar to Skypiea or Crocodile
Old 2010-12-14, 00:25   Link #87
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
There were some just okay ones but since Skypiea everything else was just weak fights.
CP9 had some real epic fights..I actually think the Enies Lobby arc had the best fights in the whole series.

Thriller Bark fights weren't too shabby either.
Old 2010-12-14, 04:29   Link #88
Wolcik

Send a message via MSN to Wolcik
Luffy surely leveled up, but he wasn't on "shichibukai level" even when he deafeted two of them - he might be now. He "died" few times to deafet Crocodile, and used a plot device to deafet Moria. Whole Crew batteling Oarz would be a good comparison how easly Oarz Jr was finished against a few shichibukai.

The fact that we didn't see Mihawk fight anybody for long, or train Zoro can leave his power level to our imagination. Top level is still undescribed and we don't really know how much Haki they use. When we see SH fight we learn about the level they reach - especially with CP9 that had numbers covering their strenght, but if we would see Joze fight Aokiji it would make impossible for Oda to add plusable stuff later on.
On plus note nobody on Pirate site wanted to anichilate Marines, they just wanted to get pass them and free Ace - which means that getting a clean shot and running further while opponent is recovering worked against VC.
Old 2010-12-14, 08:47   Link #89
Paraden1989

Originally i thought that if Skypiea, being in the sky, would be considered heaven, then Merman Island, being under water, would be parallel to hell, but Oda basically did that plotline in Impel Down. However, i would like for oda to do something with the sea devils that created the devil fruits. like Van der Decken is one of those sea devils. speaking about them, wouldn't it be interesting if all the sea devil's created sea devil fruits for themselves, so only they could transform into the ocean, or a whale or something! it would be interesting, and something Sanji would love, if Nami accidentally ate one of those sea devil fruits and gained the power of a fish. As a result, one of her three forms would be a mermaid!
Old 2010-12-14, 15:01   Link #90
marvelB

As far as Luffy's strength is concerned, I've said a good few times already that I didn't expect him to blitz through all his future opponents right after the skip. I'd say we wait for him to fight against a VA or silver medalist-level opponent before we properly judge his growth (actually, this goes for just about everyone else in the crew as well (yes, even the "weak trio" )).....

About the fight lengths, while it's true that I also wished some of the most recent arc's battles could have lasted longer (I really wanted to see some more action from Sengoku and the VAs), I feel that, as was already mentioned, the circumstances at hand left little room for prolonged bouts. And while I enjoyed some of the EL fights, I wouldn't consider them to be the standard for OP fights in general (in fact, I felt that Luffy's matchup with Lucci kinda dragged, despite how epic it was). I'm very much certain that we'll get some decent fights lengths now that things have cooled down since the timeskip, however.
Old 2010-12-15, 01:24   Link #91
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

608 spoilers out. Looks like the fun is beginning.
Old 2010-12-15, 01:29   Link #92
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
608 spoilers out. Looks like the fun is beginning.
Spoilers have not been confirmed, so hold your horses .

edit: I doubt the validity of the spoilers, but, in the meantime, the new thread is out...

Last edited by james0246; 2010-12-15 at 01:48.
Old 2010-12-16, 03:50   Link #93
feegg

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
they used a coup de burst? weren't they out of fuel? also i thought it was weird they ran out so quickly. wow fishmen island is surrounded by a bubble, how is it protected??
the bubble has been existed over thousands of years

it should hve evolved !!!= =+
Closed Thread

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion