AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-14, 18:06   Link #1781
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKM View Post
Yes I read that it will be released in "summer 2011". How long is summer in the UK ?

But I am tired of waiting. And I am tempted to buy one of those special editions from Japan,
maybe that AmiAmi bundle with the jigsaw puzzle.
Does anyone know how this is packaged? Is this a simple bundle with the BD and a separately packaged puzzle
or is this one box with the puzzle and BD both in it?
They will be packaged together in one shipment. The store bonus will be a separate item from the DVD/BD with each having their own packaging, but packaged in the same shipping box that will leave Japan.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2010-12-14, 18:47   Link #1782
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Is there a global standard for 720p or 1080p? Or are there still separate formats for the formerly-NTSC and PAL regions?
There is only one global standard. The only potential difference is the framerate, but your Blu-Ray Player will take care of doing whatever conversions are required to play on your TV.
Old 2010-12-14, 20:30   Link #1783
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
There is only one global standard. The only potential difference is the framerate, but your Blu-Ray Player will take care of doing whatever conversions are required to play on your TV.
Well, the RESOLUTION is region-free, but there are still three separate regions that the discs and players fall into.
Old 2010-12-14, 20:56   Link #1784
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Well, the RESOLUTION is region-free, but there are still three separate regions that the discs and players fall into.
Yes, understood, but Kadokawa's Blu-Ray releases are Region-Free, so that isn't an issue here either. It was a question about formats (such as NTSC vs. PAL), not about regions (as we also had with DVD, but in a different layout).
Old 2010-12-15, 00:54   Link #1785
ijuinkun

Yeah, I was wondering if there was some kind of encoding difference like we had with the NTSC/PAL/SECAM split in the analogue TV era, or whether HDTV is a unified global standard such that you could take an American TV set to France or Germany or Britain and receive a picture the same as in America.
Old 2010-12-15, 11:41   Link #1786
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Yeah, I was wondering if there was some kind of encoding difference like we had with the NTSC/PAL/SECAM split in the analogue TV era, or whether HDTV is a unified global standard such that you could take an American TV set to France or Germany or Britain and receive a picture the same as in America.
Pretty sure it's all the same, but for BluRay region codes. The two important differences between PAL and NTSC were resolution (720x576 and 720x480 for DVDs respectively) and framerate (25 and 30 respectively). Since with BluRay HD output 720p is always defined as 1280x720 and 1080p is always defined as 1920x1080, and framerate is more a matter of the source (the file on the disc) than the output (since there are 60Hz, 120Hz, etc. TVs), region shouldn't matter.

Now as for HD broadcasts, that's a different story. The US and Canada use ATSC, while the rest of the world uses different formats.
Old 2010-12-15, 23:36   Link #1787
ijuinkun

Well, it's not the framerate or resolution that's the issue--it's the encoding and software standards. For example, standard DVD uses MPEG-2 file formats running on top of various operating systems--so in other words, would an "American" BD-player be able to decode a "European" disk, or would it complain of an invalid file format or whatever?
Old 2010-12-16, 00:39   Link #1788
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Well, it's not the framerate or resolution that's the issue--it's the encoding and software standards. For example, standard DVD uses MPEG-2 file formats running on top of various operating systems--so in other words, would an "American" BD-player be able to decode a "European" disk, or would it complain of an invalid file format or whatever?
Huh? No no... that doesn't make any difference. The Blu-Ray format, just like the DVD format, is a global standard. The issue has always been resolution and framerates. PAL TVs operated at a different resolution and framerate than NTSC TVs, hence the incompatibility. But with HDTV, the resolution issues are resolved (720p and 1080i/p are standardized), and the only issue possible (aside from region coding) is the framerate. Some content in PAL regions is still shot at 50 fps interlaced (or 25 fps progressive) and not all NTSC region TVs and/or Blu-Ray Players can handle that framerate directly (most don't care, though). That won't be an issue at all here because it'll either be encoded at 24p or 60i, and all Blu-Ray Players/HDTVs support those (if it doesn't support 24p directly, the player will switch to 60i, which will work). But no matter what, all Blu-Ray players around the world support the three possible encoding standards (MPEG-2, H.264, or VC-1) so there's no chance of software incompatibility.

So bottom line: no, there's no problem. The Japanese Disappearance Movie Blu-Ray will work fine no matter where in the world you live.
Old 2010-12-16, 03:36   Link #1789
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
2 days left.

禁則事項です
Old 2010-12-16, 08:47   Link #1790
Aqua Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
2 days left.
DVD comes out on 18th?

I though it was like 28th...Well then it is good
Old 2010-12-16, 12:55   Link #1791
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

A taste of Blu Ray...
Old 2010-12-16, 14:35   Link #1792
Aqua Knight

You mean it's bad?
Old 2010-12-16, 15:25   Link #1793
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
You mean you got yours already??
Old 2010-12-16, 15:26   Link #1794
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
You mean you got yours already??
Leaked image, probably.
Old 2010-12-16, 15:43   Link #1795
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Leaked image, probably.
Yeah, that's what I assumed, but I was hoping to be proven wrong.
Old 2010-12-16, 16:34   Link #1796
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I assumed, but I was hoping to be proven wrong.
Well, my copy shipped from Amazon yesterday (to arrive tomorrow), so it isn't improbable at all that people in Japan or closer to it could be receiving it already.
Old 2010-12-16, 17:40   Link #1797
bayoab

Quote:
Well, my copy shipped from Amazon yesterday (to arrive tomorrow), so it isn't improbable at all that people in Japan or closer to it could be receiving it already.
Looks like it.

Can't find any pictures from inside Akiba like the Nanoha movie's Mountain of Nanoha yet though.
Old 2010-12-16, 18:03   Link #1798
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That's odd. Especially considering the very high quality nature of the series dub.

Speed sub was only for cinema premiere. DVD release will be as good as the series.(I hope)
Old 2010-12-16, 23:39   Link #1799
ijuinkun

Quote:
Huh? No no... that doesn't make any difference. The Blu-Ray format, just like the DVD format, is a global standard. The issue has always been resolution and framerates. PAL TVs operated at a different resolution and framerate than NTSC TVs, hence the incompatibility. But with HDTV, the resolution issues are resolved (720p and 1080i/p are standardized), and the only issue possible (aside from region coding) is the framerate. Some content in PAL regions is still shot at 50 fps interlaced (or 25 fps progressive) and not all NTSC region TVs and/or Blu-Ray Players can handle that framerate directly (most don't care, though). That won't be an issue at all here because it'll either be encoded at 24p or 60i, and all Blu-Ray Players/HDTVs support those (if it doesn't support 24p directly, the player will switch to 60i, which will work). But no matter what, all Blu-Ray players around the world support the three possible encoding standards (MPEG-2, H.264, or VC-1) so there's no chance of software incompatibility.
Ok, I hadn't really understood that because I knew that for television bradcast, NTSC and PAL used different encoding methods (IIRC PAL used a red-green-blue three-channel plus sound standard while NTSC used one channel for the monochrome equivalent while the two other channels intermixed with it to create the color), so I wondered if that encoding difference carried over to DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasaki
DVD comes out on 18th?
I though it was like 28th...Well then it is good
Well, December 18th is a significant date for the Disappearance story.
Old 2010-12-17, 23:14   Link #1800
bayoab

If anyone is interested, you can see parts of the 2ch thread listing the changes, the store special items, and a secret special here. (Secret special, store specials, changes, other is the order as you scroll down. Too much moon to translate.)

And I have no idea which thread to throw this in but let's use here. The usual antics are going on with the website. Screenshot summary here. The current hidden message is "Why are you here?"
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, shounen