AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-07, 17:36   Link #241
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I'm in love with the OP, not the song (actually, I can't remember what it even was ) but all the art nouveau imagery, so pretty. *_*

Spoiler for episode 1:

So, something felt off to me in the story but I'm, certainly interested enough to come back next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
I may have missed this, but when exactly is the setting for this? It's obviously not the modern age, what's with the letters and horse carriage, but there's the elevator as well....although it seems to be an old design, when exactly are elevators first invented? I'm guessing this should be around 19th century or something, after the Industrial Revolution...yeah, around the time of Sherlock Holmes and Jane Austen's novels.
The 1920s, I think 1924 specifically, so we're three or four decades after Holmes actually, Victorique's old-fashioned clothing isn't helping there.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 17:40   Link #242
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Again, sorry for that stupid pun.

Spoiler for reply:

Spoiler for reply:

I may have missed this, but when exactly is the setting for this? It's obviously not the modern age, what's with the letters and horse carriage, but there's the elevator as well....although it seems to be an old design, when exactly are elevators first invented? I'm guessing this should be around 19th century or something, after the Industrial Revolution...yeah, around the time of Sherlock Holmes and Jane Austen's novels.
It's set in the spring of 1924 (it identified that right at the beginning of Kazuya's part of the episode, following the OP).

Damn, that was great...I loved the two LNs that were published by Tokyopop, and the idea of getting to see further into the story is wonderful. Good music, pretty art, and I love Victorique's voice.

Edit: I will note that while I'm not familiar with the series past the first two novels, it appears more of a case that belief in the supernatural is real, while the reality of the supernatural is left...as a maybe.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 17:42   Link #243
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Mysteries and d'awww go well together, I guess. I liked the first episode a lot, as I thought I would, and I have a feeling I'll like the rest of the series as well. I hope the mystery was supposed to be easy this episode though.

I have a feeling Kazuya will have amazing calves by the end of the season.
This is so very true, but the mystery isn't completely solved yet as the motive is not cleared.

I loved the animation. The teacher was A LOT cuter/hyperer than I remembered. Kazuya wasn't annoying (that's a hugeee +), and gotta love the attention treatment to Victorique's iris. Simply brilliant. I didn't listen to the Drama CD, but Yuuki Aoi's voice was appropriate (seemed to me that she tried to go for a deeper tone to get a more "old woman“ voice, which while didn't work particularly well, but was enough to match the cuteness).

Pacing was great. Keep it up BONES!
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 17:48   Link #244
Roardel

Finally I could see Victorique in anime, the loliest detective girl ever. How I've waited.
Yuuki Aoi did a great job with her.
Roardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 17:49   Link #245
Kittaka Fuyuka

Characters and setting are good, now everything depend on how interesting mysteries will be. Hoping they won't lose too much in LN --> anime conversion.
I'm disappointed with animation, it's fitting for that setting, but that's not the Bones I know, way below their usual quality.
Also, Yuuki Aoi was born to be Victorique's seiyuu, fantastic voice.
Kittaka Fuyuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 17:59   Link #246
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut zero View Post
Is it true that crunchyroll isn't streaming this in 720p? oO
Yes, it's true & I'm highly disappointed.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 18:13   Link #247
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Looks pretty good thus far!

Also thought Yuuki Aoi was a great choice - I loved her work as Mina Tepes and Korone....
Old 2011-01-07, 18:13   Link #248
ninja_pintu

Spoiler for First impressions:
Old 2011-01-07, 18:35   Link #249
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
It's set in the spring of 1924 (it identified that right at the beginning of Kazuya's part of the episode, following the OP).

Damn, that was great...I loved the two LNs that were published by Tokyopop, and the idea of getting to see further into the story is wonderful. Good music, pretty art, and I love Victorique's voice.

Edit: I will note that while I'm not familiar with the series past the first two novels, it appears more of a case that belief in the supernatural is real, while the reality of the supernatural is left...as a maybe.
Ah yeah, I didn't saw it the first time, thanks for reminding me that. Hmm, so it's a bit newer than I thought...yeah, it fits, so it's around Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot time period.

Oh, and like your assumption there, it fits in nicely that the belief in the supernatural/cult to be a motive, but it's not necessarily genuine...that works for me.
Old 2011-01-07, 19:00   Link #250
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Yes, it's true & I'm highly disappointed.
What's the point with this stupid decision? >__>

I mean, this is looking like the best show this season, and they decide to stream it in nearly the worst possibly resolution available -.-
Old 2011-01-07, 19:09   Link #251
purusani

Okay... I've been waiting for this anime since it got a green lit and my first impression is..... AWESOME ;D The animation was nothing really eye catching but the background art was amazing. Character design was good, but i still think they should have made Victorique a little bit cuter. I think the best thing in this episode was how fast paced it was ( THANK YOU Bones for not making the first episode boring ;D ). I really liked how cute the relationship between Kazuya and Victorique was shown, just like in the novels and in the manga. Talking about the opening and ending, I liked the ending song and animation (hmmm there wasn't really much animation in it, but what the heck ;P) better it just fits the atmosphere of Gosick the opening song was too happy i guess (i know that probably sounds weird ;D). Finally the voice acting was not what i expected at all, IT WAS BETTER than i expected ;D Kazuyas voice wasn't annoying ~YAY~ So the first episode was a BIG win for me and I can't wait for the next one ;D
Old 2011-01-07, 19:23   Link #252
Kakkou
Tch.

...Let the rabbits run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Just finished watching the episode on Crunchyroll just now. I just fell in love with Bones all over again for making what I consider the perfect sort of adaption. They not only adapted the appropriate amount of events here, but managed to make changes that helped make the narrative flow better, removed parts of the novel I found stupid, and made things all round better while keeping everything else faithful. Madoka might have had the most stylish first episode thus far this season, but Gosick had the most solid one.
Spoiler for Gosick Episode 1: Rozen Maiden:
Thanks for saving me the trouble of writing most of my thoughts lol. I love what they've done with Victorique. Her rolling around and pangs of boredom are so... adorable <3. Her 'piecing the fragments of chaos' moment was also represented very well visually.

I didn't find Kazuya's VA too bad, but as it stands Miyu Irino's drama cd performance >>> him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Spoiler for changes from the novel, no plot reveling spoilers but just to be sure if your curios on what changed:
Spoiler for novel 1 & drama cd. nothing particularly serious.:

Anyway good start and I'm already pumped up for more.
Kakkou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 21:40   Link #253
Stefkov

I didn't know anything about this but for the fact Bones was behind it.
Even though the first 'mystery' was a bit simple I liked the pacing and I love that Inspector's hair.
When the lightning flashed at the end and the name of the boat was visible I thought it was cool that it was already introduced briefly very early into the episode.
I'm also liking that after solving this first case all the events, whilst introducing the characters, led up to them boarding this ship. Like I said I think the pacing is good.
Stefkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 22:23   Link #254
strawberrypop

I really enjoyed the this episode. The setting, music and characters are wonderful. Bones did a lovely job. Really like the opening and ending (especially the art on opening). I like Victorique's voice so much, and Kazuya wasn't so bad either. Victorique's getting bored is pretty funny to watch. This is my show of the season so far.

Now, I really want to order the novels and start reading them.
strawberrypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 22:33   Link #255
Kagura89

Spoiler for Episode 1:
Kagura89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 22:52   Link #256
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Best first ep of the season for me thus far.

Spoiler for 1:
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 23:41   Link #257
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Was a good enough start for this anime nothing really that amazing. Has a good start that makes me want to continue watching it
Old 2011-01-08, 01:52   Link #258
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

1. I'm glad to hear Kano Yui as the teacher. I thought she really made something of the character. I'm not sure why she hasn't had more roles since she won a seiyuu award for Sumomo mo Momo mo, but I'm glad she's here.

2. I liked the animation, but the one scene that I really liked was the way they drew and animated the teacher's arms and hands as she walked at around 4:20-4:25.

3. I also liked Kiuchi Hidenobu as Greville. I'm used to him in more serious roles like Hei and Ren. I guess this is somewhat close to Izumida in Ryouko's Case File.

4. Of course I like Yuuki Aoi. She's using her Mina Tepes voice, but for a quite different character. I look forward to hearing the character evolve. Nice combination of innocent and wise.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 02:29   Link #259
Arnavion

I'm confused... Is the "Springtime reaper/Black reaper" supposed to be a urban legend? Then why was the MC getting called "Black reaper" too? And is the "Queen Berry" also supposed to be some sort of haunted ship urban legend? Kind of weird that it turned out to be the ship where the party was and noone seemed to notice (the main characters or any other guests)...
Arnavion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 02:35   Link #260
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Sort of a meh first episode. I don't like how it was done differently from the novel, so I'm kinda pissed about that, but it's acceptable. I love Victorique's design. She's so lovely and cute. <3 And Yuuki Aoi is kickass as usual.

OP sounds weird for a series like this, but it's okay. ED is decent, but nothing special. The OP is a more memberable song imo, but they're both kinda lackluster overall.

Tags
bones, horror, light novel adaptation, school life, shounen