AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-01-07, 23:13   Link #1
killer3000ad

Beware of logmein123.com and Windows Service Centre scams

This is funny. I got a call from some guy saying he works for "Windows Service Centre" claiming that my computer was downloading malware whenever I visited ANY site. I knew he was full of crap but I listened on as he yaked and yaked, saying that they received reports from "INTERNATIONAL ROUTING CENTRES" about my PC downloading malware.

After 5 mins of interrogating whether he works for Microsoft, he said he 'works for Windows the company that makes Microsoft', ROFL ROFL he directs me to "logmein123.com", at which point i tell him i know he's a scammer and didn't believe him past "Windows Service Centre".

So just passing the word to be careful of phone scammers claiming your PC is infected.
Old 2011-01-08, 00:45   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Interesting... that's a new twist on social engineering phishing I hadn't heard tell of. They'll probably grab lots of the witless that way.
Old 2011-01-08, 01:50   Link #3
killer3000ad

Did some searching. Apparently this sort of scam is not new. A few threads on this
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1200200
http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/suppor...temrecure-scam

FYI there's an actual website called www.logmein.com which is legit and used by people to remote login on their computers.
Old 2011-01-08, 20:41   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I regularly get email from "Paypal" or "Blizzard" saying my account has been compromised and that I need to do X or Y. Problem is - I don't HAVE a Blizzard account, never have. I also know that's NOT how Paypal operates.

Got an emal from a "Good Christian" the other day needing help moving 48gazillion pounds into the US (included long sob story involving death, cancer, wealthy estate, etc).

There's two kinds of suckers being played in most of these -- the "dumb as road gravel" user whom I can never figure out HOW they even got their computer operating. But more often its the "we're going to sell you this kit and you'll make lots of money" cons who are taking money from stupid spammers themselves.
Old 2011-01-09, 04:58   Link #5
Rikimtasu

Send a message via MSN to Rikimtasu
I simply just press the report to spam button if i see those on my gmail.The whole Windows make mircosoft make me LOL hard thought.
Old 2011-01-09, 09:17   Link #6
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I regularly get email from "Paypal" or "Blizzard" saying my account has been compromised and that I need to do X or Y. Problem is - I don't HAVE a Blizzard account, never have. I also know that's NOT how Paypal operates.
Well that's now these phishers do their work since they don't know if you have those accounts or not (I've had several of these for banks I don't even have accounts for).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote