Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-10-18, 15:45   Link #121
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiai
You are an idiot who is only starting to think and that's why you think you know so much. Do a favor and go back to before you only started thinking. 17 posts on this board and that's all you can can do?
I don't think kiai is a crazy bastard, well maybe a bit crazy..but he has a lot of ideas wich he can't phrase very well.

He's seems by no means and idiot.
Old 2004-10-18, 15:54   Link #122
kiai
Wa-Gati-Mashita

This is from someone who has skated on 20 foot tall vert ramps regularly and knows only what he talks about. In addition I am known to gone down seriously steep scary, yes crazy too, hills at those high rates of speed on a board as well. So I am indeed qualified as well as bonafide.

The ability to understand this or overcome what it means with your own identifications depends on how much you decide you want to abstract. If you don't know what to abstract means you can learn about it from one of the many papers from the school of semantics website and Robert Anton Wilson. If you can critique me or one of the Eastern concepts of running and it only sounds like negative garbage then prepare not to grasp what this postulates.

http://www.webindia123.com/news/show...8451&cat=World

But anyway Here is a link that says swimming in syrup is no slower than swimming in water and it proves that energy spent driving you forward will slow you down at a certain point. Here's some more for all you mofo's who think it's the sixties and there's only one efficient way to move a high speed.

Quote:
According to Cussler, while you experience more "viscous drag" as the water gets thicker, you simultaneously generate more forward force from every stroke and thus two effects cancel each other out.

But that may not always be the case, as below a certain threshold of speed and size, viscous drag becomes the dominant force, making gloopy fluids more difficult to swim through. For instance, the same experiment on swimming bacteria instead of humans, would record much slower times in syrup than in water.
Now apply that to running in air instead of swimming in syrup or what have you. You are getting the same viscous drag but when running through air it's the faster you go the more increased the drag is. If you or I is falling off of something the best aerodynamic way of moving through the air would be falling face first and using arms back like rudders. But with any kind of movement that has light turns in the footing and slight directional changes in balance that require precision and constant judgment there is going to be a huge burn off in the efficiency of running like a marathon runner due to velocity and inability to maintain central balance.

To be blunt now try running like some olympian but do it down a seriously steep slanty hill or just one that zigzags. You are going to wipe out before you get ten or 20 feet. The trick is to keep your arms at your sides so they hug you tight and have your knees bent, and then lean forward. Then as you start getting mass speed, the arms can begin to lift behind you acting like rudders effectively dampening the airflow in a way that benefits curvature of changes in directional velocity.

If your bend forward is at 45 to 90 degrees to your legs then your spine is no longer perpendicular to the rest of your run. What happens is you're turning your body into the shape of how a Velociraptor would have run which everyone knows kicked serious ass. Even Velociraptor sounds like Velocity but is it only coincidence?

Last edited by kiai; 2004-11-02 at 06:18.
kiai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 16:37   Link #123
ElBoboRey

Send a message via AIM to ElBoboRey
hahaha, this thread is the best. too funny.

whatever it is, this style of running isn't new. it's been shown in other animes, in games like Tenchu, and even the Elves in Lineage II, a MMORPG, run like that. naruto and company have been doing it since some of the early episodes too i think. i wouldn't be surprised if it was indeed an old combat style of running with weapons and for stealth as some on here have pointed out. lots of good arguements for it.
ElBoboRey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 16:53   Link #124
bricefabber

Man, I thought this thread would have died a while ago... Not that I mind, it somehow manages to remain interesting.
I think we pretty much all agree that the regular running style (the one that we ALL use on a regular basis) is a lot more efficient for the speed at which human beings can run. Well, maybe not all, kiai seems to think differently, but he is definitely entitled to his opinion.
However, kiai, I wish you would have tied your article in a little better with your point. I think your problem is that you failed to make a strong enough correlation betweem the article and the different running styles. I do agree with you that running downhill the regular way WITH YOUR BACK STRAIGHT AND PERPENDICULAR TO THE SLOPE is a pretty much guaranteed way to eat dirt. However, the only adjustment you need to make is to lean back a place your legs ahead of your torso to adjust your body's balance. My point is that even if you use the ninja way of running when going down a steep hill, you will still have to constantly readjust your body so you don't lose your balance and fall face first. Also, when the air is still, the human body doesn't generate enough drag to be able to "steer" yourself. If there's a strong wind in your face, maybe, but otherwise, it's just not possible.
Lastly, as many have pointed out before, running wasn't invented yesterday. It has been researched for hundreds of years in order to achieve maximum speed. If the ninja way was more efficient of faster, that's what we would be taught in school.
Does that make sense?
bricefabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 16:56   Link #125
kiai
Wa-Gati-Mashita

Edit: Ok I see what you say Brice but I got to disagree that everyone should conform to running super sprint style because that's what they teach in grade school, track, ect... Truth is there are many martial arts schools that don't agree on things either this is a good example of Head and eyes forward running.

It is how bipedal dinosaurs ran and the giant 6-12 foot tall birds that have since came and been extinct. There is actual scientific data to conclude this isn't just poppycock aside from it existing in Eastern cultures for millennia. No one's saying that running in a non-perpendicular fashion is flat out better since it requires discretion for individual instances.

The die-hard argument comes from people who cannot be arsed to even comprehend that there is a cultural instance in which it's roots originated in the east predating the known branches of your family tree. If it doesn't make sense then leave it alone because no who has explained it has even said they think there is a best way of running.

Last edited by kiai; 2004-11-02 at 06:29.
kiai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 17:19   Link #126
naantje
Annoyance :)

lalal nevermind
naantje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 17:36   Link #127
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja massacre
Hmm, you mean in the Tsunade vs Oro fight?
I thought he was running like that because his arms was fucked by Sarutobi but I might be wrong...
is my sarcasm going unnoticed?
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 19:10   Link #128
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder
is my sarcasm going unnoticed?
Spoiler for Oro?:
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 19:15   Link #129
Joe Dalton

Poor pathyfinder. I have learned one thing... Most people do NOT under ANY circumstance fail to disapoint in picking up on ANYTHING!
But don't worry... just put [/sarcasme] at the end of your post and 45% will notice
Joe Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 20:05   Link #130
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Yeah I'm learning I'm learning! *and some of you had doubts* sarcasm (*hey did it work?*)

Well if Kishimoto says it's better to run like Oro then it is

Actually if Sasuke, Sakura or any ninja, even Naruto, can run straight up a tree and hang by his feet, then obviously they may be able to use the same chakra control to make running like Oro very efficient.

I think swimming in sryup is way too sticky
Try KY I KNOW it IS Faster!

pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 20:44   Link #131
Hanabi
日向花火

I have to admit one thing about the "retarded" running.

The new OP sequence shows that retarded running looks a lot more cooler than real running.
Hanabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 21:44   Link #132
Enodu_2

Edited cuz I lost interest
Enodu_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 02:21   Link #133
alleycat8675309

My theory on the retardo running has to do with better concealment of a weapon like their daggers or long sword. Especially in a combat situation when coverging on the opponent. With the weapon behind, the opponent will have a difficult time judging the others striking distance and that first clash will be riskier.

I also liked the other answer of using a hand to hold their sword scabbard.
alleycat8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 03:51   Link #134
blinster

Look at it this way

1) Naruto, Sasuke, and the rest of the Konoha posse are ninjas with experiences
2) You and the rest of us are not
3) Therefore they should know what they're doing when they're running- something I assume is somewhat important on their ninja list of skills to learn
4) They know what they're doing better than you (with your non-existent ninja knowledge) know what they should be doing.
5) So it is possible that its not their way of running that is retarded, but our way of running.

use of this reasoning can be applied to other "why didn't this character do this or that?" threads
blinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 04:53   Link #135
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinster
Look at it this way

3) Therefore they should know what they're doing when they're running- something I assume is somewhat important on their ninja list of skills to learn
4) They know what they're doing better than you (with your non-existent ninja knowledge) know what they should be doing.
5) So it is possible that its not their way of running that is retarded, but our way of running.

use of this reasoning can be applied to other "why didn't this character do this or that?" threads
Spoiler for blinster...:
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 11:06   Link #136
Gon the Freec
1337 member ......

OMG !!! GREEN THAT ROCKS !!! i laughed my ass off because of that kitten
Gon the Freec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 11:27   Link #137
Joe Dalton

That kitty gets scared often though, I think it should see a shrink for all it's phobias.
Joe Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 12:40   Link #138
Cort
What???

Send a message via ICQ to Cort
With all the chakra going to their feet there isn't enough left for their brains and they forget to move their arms...thus making them all mentally challenged while running. Something like that.
Cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 14:22   Link #139
Enodu_2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinster
Look at it this way

1) Naruto, Sasuke, and the rest of Konoha are fictional characters that are sketched for our entertainment.
2) Stupid point.
3) Another stupid point.
4) Who knows what they're doing? The characters that don't exist? Maybe Kishimito is of a secret ninja bloodline and knows everything there is to know about ninjas. Or maybe it's just an anime.
5) Maybe you're retarted.
Enodu_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-19, 14:59   Link #140
Real
....Elemental....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enodu_2
1) Naruto, Sasuke, and the rest of Konoha are fictional characters that are sketched for our entertainment.
2) Stupid point.
3) Another stupid point.
4) Who knows what they're doing? The characters that don't exist? Maybe Kishimito is of a secret ninja bloodline and knows everything there is to know about ninjas. Or maybe it's just an anime.
5) Maybe you're retarted.
Was too lazy to reply to this myself last night, well said. I like this list better.
You cannot try to say our "conventional" way of running is worse than Naruto and co's way of running because they are ninja's : THEY ARE FICTINAL CHARACTERS!
Real is offline   Reply With Quote