AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-13, 15:08   Link #401
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

The 2 guesses would be it's either a "supernatural" ability or she is just plain super smart and I mean super smart, her IQ would be off the charts.
She was given sparse 2nd hand info by word and she manges to come up with that conclusion.
Well I guess the crime itself wasn't terribly intricate in the first place.

TBH I've always had trouble with murder mystery type stories in anime, especially when it involves kids doing the problem solving but this would be one of the rare expectations where it seems rather interesting.
I've said before about these types of anime my viewing of them is kinda ruined cause of the influence of shows like CSI and the sort.

I'll stick around just to see a little more of Victorique, she's pretty interesting and amusing compared to what you usually get with kid detectives.

oh and Grevil + fabulous hair = another great amusement factor
Old 2011-01-13, 15:15   Link #402
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

I'm not buying the 'supernatural' explanation. The high IQ one sounds more plausible to me, considering she comes off as quite mature for her (apparent) age, mostly because of her voice, and she seems to be bored quite easily (which, I believe, is seen as a drawback to being very smart). And Grevil probably doesn't want the world to know that all his efforts are being done by a little girl, so he hides her in the library to take credit for it.

Hopefully, the next episodes will shed some light on this.
Old 2011-01-13, 17:22   Link #403
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
oh and Grevil + fabulous hair = another great amusement factor
I find it surprising no one else in the anime is remarking on his unique hair besides our male lead

Quote:
And Grevil probably doesn't want the world to know that all his efforts are being done by a little girl, so he hides her in the library to take credit for it.
That sounds like a good reason. It also explains why he was scared that our male lead was about to go saying that the recent case was done by a little girl and he would instantly go down the drain in popularity.
Old 2011-01-13, 18:32   Link #404
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I'm not buying the 'supernatural' explanation. The high IQ one sounds more plausible to me, considering she comes off as quite mature for her (apparent) age, mostly because of her voice, and she seems to be bored quite easily (which, I believe, is seen as a drawback to being very smart). And Grevil probably doesn't want the world to know that all his efforts are being done by a little girl, so he hides her in the library to take credit for it....
Agreed.

Perhaps some would argue that regarding Sherlock Holmes' powers of deduction as well? But it was pretty clear that his great logical mind was nothing supernatural.

Why not allow the same deduction for Victorique?
Old 2011-01-13, 19:07   Link #405
Random Wanderer

Based on some spoiler information I found on the internets, there is another reason that would make sense for Grevil to keep Victorique locked away, and it also has nothing to do with anything supernatural. I am being deliberately vague, both so as not to spoil anything, and so I (hopefully) won't invite the wrath of the moderators for posting novel spoilers (I didn't POST the spoiler, I just said it existed. That's ok, right?).

Regardless, it's also most likely true that he doesn't want it revealed that he's an incompetent idiot who only got the job through family influence rather than any skill.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 19:45   Link #406
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Newtype scan.. Victorique.. CUTE

Old 2011-01-13, 19:51   Link #407
Eater of All
NOM

Wait, did I miss something regarding Grevil and Victorique's relationship? I know Grevil said that without his influence Victorique can't get out, but it doesn't seem like he's the one who put her there in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycanid View Post
Agreed.

Perhaps some would argue that regarding Sherlock Holmes' powers of deduction as well? But it was pretty clear that his great logical mind was nothing supernatural.

Besides, putting in supernatural elements into a detective story is lame (unless it's skillfully handled, which is hard to do).
Old 2011-01-13, 19:54   Link #408
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Wait, did I miss something regarding Grevil and Victorique's relationship? I know Grevil said that without his influence Victorique can't get out, but it doesn't seem like he's the one who put her there in the first place.
Yeah... Did I miss something as well.. When Victorique was outside to meet Grevil on the boat, he did not give any impression that he was locking her up.
Old 2011-01-13, 20:06   Link #409
Random Wanderer

Quote:
I'm not sure that he put her there (I'm working off supposition: I don't know WHO put her there), but he does have at least one reason to want to KEEP her there that has not yet been revealed in the anime. I don't know for sure that he DOES want to keep her there, but it would be a logical response to this particular thing.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 20:09   Link #410
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
....Besides, putting in supernatural elements into a detective story is lame (unless it's skillfully handled, which is hard to do).
I seem to remember Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie both using supernatural elements as reference points for their stories - sometimes they show how these elements were used by the "bad guys" to cover up their activities, and other times they leave the elements unanswered - sorta kinda leaving the reader hanging with a "I wonder if it was real?" kinda thing ... iirc in "recent" anime the episodes about the mysterious island "murder case" in the Suzumiya Haruhi series had an element of that at the end of the 2 episode arc.

But I agree that it is very tricky to handle in such a way that the reader does not sit back, roll their eyes and say "Riiiiiiiight...."
Old 2011-01-13, 20:39   Link #411
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Yeah... Did I miss something as well.. When Victorique was outside to meet Grevil on the boat, he did not give any impression that he was locking her up.
aeriolewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 21:58   Link #412
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Hmmm.... could it be connected to Vic's necklace somehow? I tried to see if anything was written on it, but I couldn't see. Either way, I hope Grevil doesn't disappear afterthe first couple of episodes, or get's murdered. He's a good balance with Vic's seriousness.
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 22:07   Link #413
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Agreed.

Because Sherlock Holmes actually had to go down to the scene and get most of the information first hand.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 22:32   Link #414
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
I'm not sure that he put her there (I'm working off supposition: I don't know WHO put her there), but he does have at least one reason to want to KEEP her there that has not yet been revealed in the anime. I don't know for sure that he DOES want to keep her there, but it would be a logical response to this particular thing.
Oh I see. So far Grevil seems like just another one of those innocent comedy type of characters to me, and judging from his interactions with Victorique, it doesn't feel like he would be the one trapping her in the library. Or maybe there's more to him than meets the eye.

Quote:
I seem to remember Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie both using supernatural elements as reference points for their stories - sometimes they show how these elements were used by the "bad guys" to cover up their activities, and other times they leave the elements unanswered - sorta kinda leaving the reader hanging with a "I wonder if it was real?" kinda thing ... iirc in "recent" anime the episodes about the mysterious island "murder case" in the Suzumiya Haruhi series had an element of that at the end of the 2 episode arc.

But I agree that it is very tricky to handle in such a way that the reader does not sit back, roll their eyes and say "Riiiiiiiight...."
In this case though, the suspected supernatural involving Victorique pulling knowledge out of thin air is just so ridiculously convenient that I just can't see any sane story using it.
Old 2011-01-13, 23:55   Link #415
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
All I can say about that is read the novels. It's in the first few chapters, I believe.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 23:59   Link #416
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
Started again to watch anime and glad to see a good one, I think I will like this one a lot, it's a mystery theme and have a good settings, and of course the cute Victorique is pleasant to see.
Old 2011-01-14, 00:28   Link #417
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Quote:

Besides, putting in supernatural elements into a detective story is lame (unless it's skillfully handled, which is hard to do).
Don't worry, light will be shed on Grevil's and Victorique's relationship soon.

Victorique is not a supernatural character. The "fragments of chaos" thing is a catchphrase she uses when she pieces together information, much like Kyrie/Battler's "turn around the chessboard" line from Umineko and Keima's "I can already see the ending!" line from TWGOK.
Old 2011-01-14, 01:20   Link #418
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I agree. Since Victorica is so articulate in English (or Japanese or French), flowery words like "piecing together fragments of chaos" should be second nature to her.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 02:26   Link #419
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I find it surprising no one else in the anime is remarking on his unique hair besides our male lead
Think like Kujo and Victorique few want to associate with him and bring Grevil into their comments . Plus it's just a hairstyle you have to laugh at. Other than being worried about him putting out someone's eye not too much else to say there.
Old 2011-01-14, 09:48   Link #420
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

it has already begun...

Spoiler for What mainstream viewers think of Gosick:

Tags
bones, horror, light novel adaptation, school life, shounen