Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2011-01-17, 11:58   Link #741
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
I have always assumed that the duels between Shanks and Mihawk have always ended in draws..or the win-loss ratio was pretty even, with maybe a few more going to Mihawk.
That's most likely the case.

Quote:
The point is that Vista is VERY VERY close to Mihawk's level..and had the fight gone on longer, maybe Vista would have lost as he ran out of stamina. But that in no way implies that Mihawk was TOYING with Vista..thats incredibly insulting to Vista, who is the top swordsman in the top crew of the world.
That's not saying much if the top crew in the world doesn't have many swordsman. They probably do, but I'm just throwing it out there. And if Vista was near Mihawk's level, which would put him near Shanks' level, where was the world-shaking battle that should have ensued?

And it's not my intention to insult Vista; I happen to like Vista. But his skills just didn't impress me.
Old 2011-01-17, 12:15   Link #742
karumofin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Akainu wouldn't have any reason to lie... in fact, he was bragging.
He didn't lie, I'm sure that his magma DOES vaporate fire, but still this sort of damage to a Logia user can only be accounted for with haki imo.
If you think about it for a bit, it is also the only reason why Jinbei was able to stop the magma with his bare fists without melting away.
karumofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 12:25   Link #743
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihawkXGP View Post
Whitebeard is Whitebeard. Kaidou, Shanks & ????? are powerful pirates of the world - but Whitebeard stands at the very top of the world.
The emperors are all comparable to each other, so the differences between them are most likely negligible. Despite the fact that Whitebeard is the Strongest, there are those who can give him serious problems or even fatally wound him.

Quote:
Look at the state of Marine HQ and the Marines. They've suffered huge losses, Marine HQ is on the verge of being completely destroyed and this is from a man who was fighting when his health was failing him.
Fodder can always be replaced. The elites are all still standing and ready for more. In other words, they haven't suffered any noteworthy losses.

Quote:
WB shoulda taken to the battlefield at the very start. When he was still at full strength.
No. He did the right thing by strategizing/coordinating the movements of his forces. If he had rushed in like a fool, he would have been bombarded by assaults from the fortified defenses (much like what happened to Oars Jr.). Like Whitebeard said, there's a difference between bravery and being suicidal.

Quote:
Joz got owned by Doflamingo, Vista couldn't touch Mihawk
Throughout the war, Jozu was like the Juggernaut. Once he gained momentum and tackled his enemies, there was no stopping him. However, Doflamingo was the only one who managed to stop the behemoth dead in his tracks. Despite that, notice how Doflamingo didn't control him like he did to Atmos (13th Division Commander) and how he didn't slice off any of his limbs (perhaps because he's diamond). I don't consider this ownage. Stopping someone while they're preoccupied with someone else isn't necessarily indicative of superiority.

Vista and Mihawk were locked in a stalemate, although it's clear neither of them were giving it their 100%.
Old 2011-01-17, 12:26   Link #744
Pwnago
Unforgivable Sin

Quote:

That's not saying much if the top crew in the world doesn't have many swordsman. They probably do, but I'm just throwing it out there. And if Vista was near Mihawk's level, which would put him near Shanks' level, where was the world-shaking battle that should have ensued?

And it's not my intention to insult Vista; I happen to like Vista. But his skills just didn't impress me.
Totally Agree..
Pwnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 13:22   Link #745
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Throughout the war, Jozu was like the Juggernaut. Once he gained momentum and tackled his enemies, there was no stopping him. However, Doflamingo was the only one who managed to stop the behemoth dead in his tracks. Despite that, notice how Doflamingo didn't control him like he did to Atmos (13th Division Commander) and how he didn't slice off any of his limbs (perhaps because he's diamond). I don't consider this ownage. Stopping someone while they're preoccupied with someone else isn't necessarily indicative of superiority.
No, but he was taken out of the fight for a lengthy period of time twice.

Quote:
Vista and Mihawk were locked in a stalemate, although it's clear neither of them were giving it their 100%.
And do you believe Mihawk was holding back far more than Vista?

-----

Besides, this whole thing has been taken too far. My original comment was an attempt to explain that Whitebeard was basically facing down the Marines by himself.
Old 2011-01-17, 13:44   Link #746
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
No, but he was taken out of the fight for a lengthy period of time twice.
Twice? Doflamingo only stopped him momentarily. It was until Croc did his sandstorm that Jozu got free of his clutches.

Aokiji was the one who permanently took him out. That's what happens when you let your guard down. He's the kind of opponent you can't afford to make a mistake against. Ice Time = Game Over. But prior to Jozu's distraction, he was fighting equally against Aokiji. That is impressive.

Let's also not forget he stopped Mihawk's slash that was directed at Whitebeard. His diamond defenses are nearly impenetrable.

Quote:
And do you believe Mihawk was holding back far more than Vista?
Had the fight became more serious and gone on longer, I believe Mihawk would have prevailed. But even so, Vista is a formidable opponent. He's not a weakling. The fact that Mihawk knows his name is a testament to that, since he doesn't remember the names of weaklings.

Vista is amongst the greatest swordsmen in the One Piece universe.
Old 2011-01-17, 13:52   Link #747
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Let's also not forget he stopped Mihawk's slash that was directed at Whitebeard. His diamond defenses are nearly impenetrable.
And that was just a quick one handed strike to get things moving. Cutting a mountain of ice in half as the result of an aftershock from a two-handed sword swing seems much stronger to me.

Quote:
Had the fight became more serious and gone on longer, I believe Mihawk would have prevailed. But even so, Vista is a formidable opponent. He's not a weakling. The fact that Mihawk knows his name is a testament to that, since he doesn't remember the names of weaklings.

Vista is amongst the greatest swordsmen in the One Piece universe.
No he's not, but you should be aware of what you're also arguing by association. Mihawk and Shanks fought on even grounds countless times, and saying that Vista is capable of a similar feat is like saying that he's in the same tier as Shanks, and by extension Whitebeard and Garp. Yes, there's a lot of Rock>Paper>Scissors<Rock going on, but at that level, that whole system doesn't really matter anymore.
Old 2011-01-17, 14:03   Link #748
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
And that was just a quick one handed strike to get things moving. Cutting a mountain of ice in half as the result of an aftershock from a two-handed sword swing seems much stronger to me.
No matter how you look at it, Mihawk had to have put in a considerable amount of effort into the slash he threw at Whitebeard. Why? Because this is the Strongest Man in the World we're talking about here. The whole point of that slash was to gauge the difference between Mihawk and Whitebeard. He was testing Whitebeard, and he wouldn't test him with a weak (by his standards) slash.

Besides, I think you need to take a look at how big that slash was again. It was bigger than the Moby Dick!

Quote:
No he's not, but you should be aware of what you're also arguing by association. Mihawk and Shanks fought on even grounds countless times, and saying that Vista is capable of a similar feat is like saying that he's in the same tier as Shanks, and by extension Whitebeard and Garp. Yes, there's a lot of Rock>Paper>Scissors<Rock going on, but at that level, that whole system doesn't really matter anymore.
Holding someone off doesn't = being in the same tier.
Old 2011-01-17, 14:06   Link #749
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
No matter how you look at it, Mihawk had to have put in a considerable amount of effort into the slash he threw at Whitebeard. Why? Because this is the Strongest Man in the World we're talking about here. The whole point of that slash was to gauge the difference between Mihawk and Whitebeard. He was testing Whitebeard, and he wouldn't test him with a weak (by his standards) slash.

Besides, I think you need to take a look at how big that slash was again. It was bigger than the Moby Dick!
And it was just one-handed. Imagine what a two handed blast he put all of his power into would do.

Quote:
Holding someone off doesn't = being in the same tier.
No, but it means you'd have to use far more power relative to your opponent to do it.
Old 2011-01-17, 14:19   Link #750
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
And it was just one-handed. Imagine what a two handed blast he put all of his power into would do.
I don't think that matters. As Mihawk said to Zoro, "there's no strength in swordplay based on force". To reinforce this, Shanks (who only has one arm) and Whitebeard (who has both arms) clashed weapons, which consequently split the heavens.

Quote:
No, but it means you'd have to use far more power relative to your opponent to do it.
But Vista didn't appear to be expending much energy.
Old 2011-01-18, 00:10   Link #751
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for 483:
Old 2011-01-18, 01:39   Link #752
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanzo View Post
NO HES NOT?! wtf are you talking about?? you should just stop talking.
Yeah, I'm just going to go ahead and tell everyone that I automatically ignore any poster who tells me to shut up in their opening sentence.
Old 2011-01-18, 05:18   Link #753
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Quote:
The fourth one is ?????
Yes, i know who the 4th is - this is an anime only topic and that name has yet to be revealed.

Quote:
Yes, Whitebeard is a force of nature, but let's look at everyone else. Marco was able to fight Kizaru on even grounds but that's it, Ace was basically useless, Joz got owned by Doflamingo, Vista couldn't touch Mihawk, and the 43 NW Captains couldn't even make it past the siege wall and were routed by the Pacifista. Whitebeard is for all intents and purposes alone in this battle, and it's taking its toll.
Got owned by DoFlamingo? I dun think so. He only got stopped by him because Flamingo wanted to team up with Crocodile.

Joz blocked Mihawk's attack, he ripped a mountain sized Iceberg outta the sea and tossed it into Marine HQ - without a doubt the single most impressive display of physical strength we've ever seen, though WB stoppin that Paddle ship with 1 hand is pretty damned impressive too.
His only failin in the entire war was that he allowed himself to get distracted by Marco bein taken out - and gettin completely frozen.

Joz is a juggernaut. Go into full diamond mode - add that to his monsterous physical strength and his ability to use haki - and you've got 1 powerhouse who is right up there with the very elite of the OP world.

Vista and Mihawk never even had a serious fight - though of course 1 would expect Mihawk would win since he is the greatest, he clearly had respect for Vista. You don't get to get to be the No.1 swordsman of the world's strongest Pirate crew without good reason.

The NW captains clearly managed to deal with the Pacifistas. Makugai took 1 out all by himself, though it was anime only- they were fightin against the Vice Admirals, who're not exactly weaklings now are they?
MihawkXGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 05:25   Link #754
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Quote:

Many of the WB pirates use swords. As do many of the commanders.

I dun see how u can even judge Vista, seein as how none of his skills were even shown off durin the war. What we can say and judge based on what we've seen - we know he's a world class & famous swordsman & No1 swordsman of the strongest pirate crew in the entre world.
MihawkXGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 05:38   Link #755
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Got owned by DoFlamingo? I dun think so. He only got stopped by him because Flamingo wanted to team up with Crocodile.
We don't really know why Doflamingo decided to sit on Joz, but the point is that he was taken out of action because of it.

Quote:
Joz blocked Mihawk's attack, he ripped a mountain sized Iceberg outta the sea and tossed it into Marine HQ - without a doubt the single most impressive display of physical strength we've ever seen, though WB stoppin that Paddle ship with 1 hand is pretty damned impressive too.
It's very impressive, but the whole point I'm trying to make is that Whitebeard is basically fighting by himself right now.

Quote:
His only failin in the entire war was that he allowed himself to get distracted by Marco bein taken out - and gettin completely frozen.
And why the hell would you allow your guard to drop around an Admiral? I don't care what the situation is, you keep your full attention on the Admiral.

Quote:
Vista and Mihawk never even had a serious fight - though of course 1 would expect Mihawk would win since he is the greatest, he clearly had respect for Vista. You don't get to get to be the No.1 swordsman of the world's strongest Pirate crew without good reason.
You don't, but I would have liked to have seen Vista doing feats similar to Marco and Joz. What the hell did we see him do after the Marco fight?

Quote:
The NW captains clearly managed to deal with the Pacifistas. Makugai took 1 out all by himself, though it was anime only- they were fightin against the Vice Admirals, who're not exactly weaklings now are they?
The VA are definitely not weaklings, but there's a big difference between a VA and the level of opponent the commanders were fighting.

Quote:
Many of the WB pirates use swords. As do many of the commanders.

I dun see how u can even judge Vista, seein as how none of his skills were even shown off durin the war. What we can say and judge based on what we've seen - we know he's a world class & famous swordsman & No1 swordsman of the strongest pirate crew in the entre world.
The point I was trying to make was that not every top tier swordsman is a pirate.
Old 2011-01-18, 11:24   Link #756
Pwnago
Unforgivable Sin

Quote:
And why the hell would you allow your guard to drop around an Admiral? I don't care what the situation is, you keep your full attention on the Admiral.
Let's just say that your mum/dad was whitebeard and had a health problem and you was fighting like a person with a gun. And your parents had a health situation during the fight.. Wouldn't you try and help her or something lol?
Old 2011-01-18, 11:26   Link #757
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnago View Post
Let's just say that your mum/dad was whitebeard and had a health problem and you was fighting like a person with a gun. And your parents had a health situation during the fight.. Wouldn't you try and help her or something lol?
Let's put it another way: You and your friends are going into a life and death fight, fully realizing that there's going to be casualties. One of them dies. What do you do?
Old 2011-01-18, 11:44   Link #758
Pwnago
Unforgivable Sin

Quote:
Let's put it another way: You and your friends are going into a life and death fight, fully realizing that there's going to be casualties. One of them dies. What do you do?
Help him -.-.. Both ways 1 of them are going to backstab you zz
Old 2011-01-18, 11:48   Link #759
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnago View Post
Help him -.-.. Both ways 1 of them are going to backstab you zz
So then your friends have to bury one addition person than if you hadn't? And what happens if another friend tries to help you and gets himself killed like you did, and then another tries to help him, and so on?
Old 2011-01-18, 15:40   Link #760
Pwnago
Unforgivable Sin

Yeah.. but friends is a different matter. Whitebeard's crew is like a BIG family. So friends and family is a big difference.