Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-01-26, 01:03   Link #21
Envy
Band Nerd ♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Because funimation releases awful 480p stream, with watermark on the lower right and some weird transparent bar at the bottom ? Plus, the subs suck.

That's quite enough reasons to download OP from groups that use proper raws and have good subs.
That's a real joke.

"Awful 480p stream" and "watermark"? Are you kidding me? Talk about false entitlement. I'm serious, that is a horrible argument and I can't believe people actually complain about such ridiculous things when it is offered to them for free.

This is just a huge example of how horrible the anime community really is.

BTW, FYI the stream isn't even in 480p. But that doesn't make it awful. It just means that the fans need to get over their false entitlement. They can complain when they have to pay money for it, but not right now. It's not even that big of a deal.

“The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.”
Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 01:11   Link #22
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
I can't think of any reason to have sympathy for those who chose to download the anime episode even when it was available for free and legally.

Reason: HD MKV >>>> LQ herky-jerky streams

Period, end of sentence, thread closed (unfortunately), nothing more to see here...
Old 2011-01-26, 01:47   Link #23
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Legally it's okay for them to do this, but I think it might bite them in the ass PR-wise...

I don't agree with how IP laws are handled in the modern world, and as a result I mostly ignore them (prevent my money from lining the pockets of the middleman and not the artist themselves). The wide availability of high quality fansubs is good for even the paying consumer (assuming the distributor actually competes fairly). It means that businesses have to compete with zero; though, for luxuries such as entertainment media, they always must compete with "opting out," however in the past that meant a sacrifice on behalf of the consumer.

Now with digital media being very heavily monetized, the businesses must compete not with opting out, but with piracy. Unfortunately, instead of positively reinforcing their customer (by making the legitimate product more attractive to the consumer) they engage in predominantly negative reinforcement (DRM, encryption, authentication schemes, DMCA takedown notices, lawsuits, etc).
Old 2011-01-26, 03:18   Link #24
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Because funimation releases awful 480p stream, with watermark on the lower right and some weird transparent bar at the bottom ? Plus, the subs suck.
Everyone uses a watermark, either persistent and transparent/translucent or non-persistent and opaque. (Okay, I'll give you that it's annoyingly large on the non-hulu copy). I don't see a transparent bar. And where are your examples of why the subs suck? (Somehow, I doubt they do.)

Quote:
BTW, FYI the stream isn't even in 480p.
The hulu copy looks like it is actual 480p.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 03:24   Link #25
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Lol good thing I dont use torrents. I watch online though I guess that counts as stealing too. I mean I'm watching anime for free. I do my best to buy anime goods though sometimes but the only anime dvds available here in my place are pirated ones with wrong names for the series.
Old 2011-01-26, 03:50   Link #26
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4
Old 2011-01-26, 04:00   Link #27
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

They're wasting money for breaking a law that has been questioned for its viability?
I think Funimation has shot itself in the foot.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 06:51   Link #28
Tsuyukusa
King of Carrot Flowers

Quote:
"Awful 480p stream" and "watermark"? Are you kidding me? Talk about false entitlement. I'm serious, that is a horrible argument and I can't believe people actually complain about such ridiculous things when it is offered to them for free.
This about sums up my stance on the matter.
You have no right to complain about something that is handed to you free of charge.
Tsuyukusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 07:56   Link #29
xanas3712

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Except in your example both groups have a right to legally sell the item.
Neither my morality or my views on law are based upon what is currently legal, if that clarifies anything.

I don't know why anyone would base their morality on the state's edicts, though perhaps I misunderstood your point.
xanas3712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 10:45   Link #30
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanas3712 View Post
Neither my morality or my views on law are based upon what is currently legal, if that clarifies anything.

I don't know why anyone would base their morality on the state's edicts, though perhaps I misunderstood your point.
You were talking about a business's right to take someone to court. That implies the basis of law, not morality. Therefore, you must take law into consideration and throw morality out the window.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 12:14   Link #31
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

1,337... anyone else laughing at the choice of that number?

But yeah, this is definitely in poor taste. They should go after the tracking sites, not the users. Besides, I wonder what percentage of those 1,337 people are under the age of 21. They are probably suing children.
Old 2011-01-26, 13:36   Link #32
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I download fansubs. Its higher quality, I can encode it for my iPod, I don't have to be in the US to watch them, I don't even need to be hooked up the internet to watch it. I'll probably buy the DVD, but I'm not watching the crap stream if I can help it.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 13:44   Link #33
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
1,337... anyone else laughing at the choice of that number?
I didn't even click on to that . Nice one.
Old 2011-01-26, 13:52   Link #34
InitialGT

^i saw that number..was trying to relate it back to the main story. could not fit the pieces together. looked like some joke but at the same time it's serious business lol
InitialGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 13:55   Link #35
bayoab

Quote:
Besides, I wonder what percentage of those 1,337 people are under the age of 21. They are probably suing children.
Why does 21 matter here? How is an 19 yr old in college suddenly worth less criminally?
Old 2011-01-26, 13:59   Link #36
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Why does 21 matter here? How is an 19 yr old in college suddenly worth less criminally?
They want a lot of money out of them... something a young person definitely will not have. Granted, not everyone will but adults have more assets and all of that. Not to mention the ability to hire a good attorney. I was really just poking at them picking a fight with kids, really.
Old 2011-01-26, 14:37   Link #37
GDB

Quote:
They want a lot of money out of them...
Actually, the per person cost (assuming previously stated numbers are correct) is only about $113.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 14:39   Link #38
Simon
気持ち悪い

It's not clear from the ANN article, but are all the John Doe IPs registered to US ISPs? Could be a nightmare for Funi trying to get court orders in foreign jurisdictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Really, what more could you ask of a licensor like Funimation?
They could offer a delivery mechanism that doesn't suck. Not everybody wants to be connected to the net to watch anime and use the great steaming pile of crapware that is Flash Player. Offering download-to-own would be a huge improvement.

That said I also have little sympathy for the people caught up in this. It doesn't matter what we think of copyright law, the fact is that if you torrent copyrighted material the owner can trivially find your IP and has the clear legal right to go after you. If you're not prepared to live with that risk, don't torrent.

Torrenting a high-profile, high-revenue show like One Piece is just asking for trouble.
Old 2011-01-26, 15:01   Link #39
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's also the problem that court rulings are leaning towards IP-address-does-NOT-equal-person. So at most they can only show that an IP was assigned to a particular ISP account. After that, its a dumptruck of discovery for them to prove the account owner was somehow involved. That's why everyone loves DMCA takedown demands, it avoids all that and the court costs as well. How many of those IPs will end up being public areas.... or aggregated NAT?

But as Simon says... anyone torrenting is handing their IP address over to *everyone* else in the cloud... so duh, not everyone in the cloud is necessarily "your friend".
Old 2011-01-26, 15:33   Link #40
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It's not clear from the ANN article, but are all the John Doe IPs registered to US ISPs? Could be a nightmare for Funi trying to get court orders in foreign jurisdictions.
Haven't manually checked ~15 of them but the rest appear to be in the US based on IP location tools.