AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-02-10, 19:52   Link #1
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

How do you deal with video game snobs?

Thanks to Taufiq91 for his thread "How do you deal with anime snobs". I should made this thread long time ago but due to its controversial nature.

There lots of snobs subspecies out there but what annoys me most are WRPG snobs. Don't get me wrong. I love WRPGs as much as I loved JRPGs but some snobs want me to say "JRPGs are craps, WRPGs are better because you can create your own characters, choose your own morality etc". I loved Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls and KotOR, Mass Effect as much as I loved Persona, Suikoden and Final Fantasy but WRPGs snobs want me to join their side.

I still remember an ad for Fallout: New Vegas where young Japanese men holding placards that insulting JRPGs like "I want to play a game where its hero can do more than just saving the world" "I want to be a bad guy instead" "I wish I can kill some annoying NPCs". Last year Bioware also criticize Final Fantasy XIII for not being RPG enough.

Maybe my biggest mistake is to be neutral on this issue. Unfortunately there is no win-win situation for both sides.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 20:03   Link #2
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

The only major divider between people who play games are the casual and the hardcore, and while I am in the hardcore camp there's no way I dislike playing games casually nor have anything against those people who do.

For example, my sister absolutely loves Mario Kart and it's one of the few game series' she'll actually play for long periods of time, and I have a really fun time playing with her when she asks me to. The other one she likes a lot is Guitar Hero. I can't say I share her interest in that, but there's no way I dislike her for it. She's just not a gamer, which is okay.

If there's one group of people I don't really like though it's the hardcore FPS crowd. I like FPS' and all but, those people who believe that they're the only games worth playing out there are terribly wrong, and their hardheadedness can get very flustering.
Old 2011-02-10, 20:47   Link #3
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
I still remember an ad for Fallout: New Vegas where young Japanese men holding placards that insulting JRPGs like "I want to play a game where its hero can do more than just saving the world" "I want to be a bad guy instead" "I wish I can kill some annoying NPCs". Last year Bioware also criticize Final Fantasy XIII for not being RPG enough.
Ah, I've seen that ad too. Pretty annoying indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
The only major divider between people who play games are the casual and the hardcore, and while I am in the hardcore camp there's no way I dislike playing games casually nor have anything against those people who do.

For example, my sister absolutely loves Mario Kart and it's one of the few game series' she'll actually play for long periods of time, and I have a really fun time playing with her when she asks me to. The other one she likes a lot is Guitar Hero. I can't say I share her interest in that, but there's no way I dislike her for it. She's just not a gamer, which is okay.

If there's one group of people I don't really like though it's the hardcore FPS crowd. I like FPS' and all but, those people who believe that they're the only games worth playing out there are terribly wrong, and their hardheadedness can get very flustering.
I pretty much agree with you here. Why can't they just mind their own business.
As for how I deal with them. I used to talk a lot explaining things like how interests are very subjective and people have their preferences, etc. etc. but as time goes by I chose to ignore them. For me it's the best solution since I think that I better spend my time enjoying my games rather than talking with those kind of people

I'm also the in the middle when it comes to west and east. I love WRPG better, but that doesn't mean that I hate JRPG, same goes with the another genres.
Old 2011-02-10, 20:53   Link #4
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Splitting the fanbase into two sides is a terrible idea when there are people in the middle. Same goes for "hardcore" and "casual" players. Especially the latter, since that's a lot more relative in my opinion.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 21:49   Link #5
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Myself being someone who plays all types of games, I really don't have biases on these sorta games as I tend to be somewhat considered a "hardcore" gamer.

The only snobby gamers I have to deal with are the people who talk down on 3rd person shooters, about how 1st Person Shooters are far superior. Or people who play games like Soul Calibur and Tekken, and talk down about the 2D fighters like Street Fighter and BlazBlue. I personally prefer 3rd Person shooters and 2D fighters, so it's kinda hard to deal with people who mock the gameplay styles I adore~
Old 2011-02-10, 22:23   Link #6
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Fortunately, I have never encountered these people.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 22:50   Link #7
OgodItsKanon
ばかな王女様
*Artist

If they're really disrupting the gameplay, then I would tell them off. Games made by Steam where some people flaunt their e-peens can be full of them though. Also, those people in MapleStory who brag about their NX cash items.
Old 2011-02-11, 02:41   Link #8
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

My dislike will always be directed to specific games and not the whole genre which the games belong to. I do not like the Guide Dang It nature of JP games in general, but having said that, as long as it's not too extreme, I am content to do a bit of guided exploring.
Old 2011-02-11, 03:49   Link #9
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

You are supposed to deal with them?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 03:56   Link #10
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
Or people who play games like Soul Calibur and Tekken, and talk down about the 2D fighters like Street Fighter and BlazBlue. I personally prefer 3rd Person shooters and 2D fighters, so it's kinda hard to deal with people who mock the gameplay styles I adore~
I myself a Tekken player (but not a good one), but your statement is kinda new to me since I often see the opposite. There are even Soul Calibur players who view Tekken as crap.

But I myself don't look down on 2d fighters and I also love some of them as well
Old 2011-02-11, 14:44   Link #11
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
Myself being someone who plays all types of games, I really don't have biases on these sorta games as I tend to be somewhat considered a "hardcore" gamer.
Here is the problem, how do you define hardcore and casual gamers.
Technically most of us would be in the casual corner, mainly due to the fact that the marketing people cannot directly target us, with the sales tactics. Casual gamers are unpredictable, they play any kind of game, which is why one game branded as "casual game" can fail miserably and the next one can be a platinum seller. So called Hardcore are much easier to target, from a PR point of view. These type of branding are stupid, if you make a good game people will like it for that. Only if you have a crappy game you try to specifically target an audience, that they think is out there.
Personally i think, and history has shown us, that separation leads to discrimination, meaning some folks just want to vent their anger onto another group, that they have in their heads.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote