AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-16, 10:40   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 615 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Whoo! New thread! Yeah, the wait took a bit longer than usual, but the spoiler's out! Though it should be noted once again that the script's not 100% confirmed to be legit, the content certainly seems to be genuine enough. So here we go, once again (credit to aohige for translation, as always):

-Chapter title is "The curse of mato-mato". The ministory features Colbo mountain this time around (Dadan's home, in case you've forgotten).

-Brooke and the Right Minister discover that the princess is missing. Meanwhile, the pirates that Decken threw into the palace say that they must search for the switch to the corridor that connects the palace to merman island, or else their lives are forfeit.....

-At the Coral Hill, Sanji and Chopper argue amongst themselves, as they've taken out the guards who were about to arrest them. Suddenly, the two pirates encounter Hachi, who's fatally injured from several arrow wounds. He warns them that they ought to leave the island, and that the new merman pirates are preparing to invade the Ryuuguu palace.

-A flashback then begins with Decken explaining his plan to the human pirates, and mentions that in exchange for his target powers, he's unable to swim, despite being a merman. Hachi then appears and tries to persuade Hody Jones that he shouldn't go through with the plan, and that the ES drugs will destroy him. However, the NMP captain doesn't listen to his senior, as he's disappointed in him for going soft on the humans. Apparently, Arlong attempted to recruit Hyouzou and Decken in the past as well, but both had their own reasons for not joining (the former mentions Arlong being a tightwad, and the latter simply refuses to work under anybody). Hody expresses his disgust for the former Arlong officer, and Decken takes this time to demonstrate his powers on Hachi. By touching him with his bare hand, he has made Hachi his target, and whatever he throws will home in on him. First he uses a knife, and next the arrows that gave the octo-merman such grievous wounds. Decken then explains that he's only able to target 2 people at a time, with each of his hands. His right hand has been locked on to princess Shirahoshi for ten years. After the assault on Hachi, Hody then threatens the human pirates to go through with the invasion plan, or else......

-Back at the palace, Brooke and the minister tell Neptune about the invasion and the princess' disappearance. Zoro then decides that he's going to take out the enemy pirates. Meanwhile, Luffy and the princess are heading to their destination. Luffy asks her the reason why she wants to go to the sea forest, and she answers that it's a graveyard, with one particular grave that she's wanted to visit for a long time. We then take a look at the aforementioned graveyard, where Jinbei is shown talking about an assassination that took place on the island a decade ago. He says that while the Neptune family has grown up, none have forgotten the ideals of the deceased queen, Otohime......

Aaaaw yeah, things are getting real awesome, now! Looks like I was right about Jones' crew turning on Hachi (though he didn't go into hiding), and I believe I mentioned the possibility of the mermaid queen being killed, as well (though it wasn't specified whether or not it had something to do with Decken's power). BTW, Hyouzou mentions that Hachi could never beat him in a fight, so it looks like we've pretty much got confirmation of him being the strongest mer-swordsman after all. Also, it looks like Hody's definitely seeking revenge against Luffy, as well. And man, it's pretty nasty to think that Decken hasn't washed his right hand in such a long time......

Can't wait to see what happens next!
Old 2011-02-16, 11:05   Link #2
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Looks like this chapter was mostly used to demonstrate Vander Decken's devil fruit, but it's interesting to know that he can actually lock on to 2 people at a time.

So the Sea Forest is a graveyard eh? Good to hear about the queen though. Is the story being set-up for a flashback I wonder? =p
Old 2011-02-16, 11:15   Link #3
marvelB

BTW, I dunno about anyone else, but I find it pretty badass that Hyouzou's only agreeing to destroy a kingdom for the money. He's a true professional, that one. Definitely can't wait to see Zoro's clash with him....
Old 2011-02-16, 11:16   Link #4
raziel16

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Zoro then decides that he's going to take out the enemy pirates.
that'll be quick
Old 2011-02-16, 11:38   Link #5
james0246

So more or less everything we predicted before has come to pass. The Princess' mother was assassinated; Decken's powers stem from contact with his intended victim (which limits his powers greatly) and he cannot swim (I have to wonder when he would have had a chance to touch the Princess...and I am extremely grossed out by the prospect that she could have been 10 or so at the time (makes me hope the Princess is in her 30s, making the contact slightly less gross)); Hyouzou is the premier swordsman on the island (duh); the drugs are potentially killing Hodi; and Hacchi is fodder...

Not much new based on the spoilers...
Old 2011-02-16, 13:13   Link #6
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Decken's powers stem from contact with his intended victim (which limits his powers greatly) and he cannot swim (I have to wonder when he would have had a chance to touch the Princess...and I am extremely grossed out by the prospect that she could have been 10 or so at the time (makes me hope the Princess is in her 30s, making the contact slightly less gross));
Decken may only be a few years older than her. Maybe he didn't touch her in a perverted sexual way, but rather in a gentle affectionate way (like putting his hand on her cheek before trying to kiss her). After being rejected, he became infuriated and was driven into madness.

----

All in all, sounds like an informative chapter. Looking forward to reading it.
Old 2011-02-16, 14:24   Link #7
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Decken may only be a few years older than her. Maybe he didn't touch her in a perverted sexual way, but rather in a gentle affectionate way (like putting his hand on her cheek before trying to kiss her). After being rejected, he became infuriated and was driven into madness.

Wow, I never once thought of anything "perverse". Rather, I simply did not like the image of a potentially older man in any way (even affectionately) touching a young child.

You are right, though, it could be that Decken was quite young at the time as well, which makes the image a bit more acceptable.

Whatever the case, Decken's currently a creep, and I expect him to have been a creep for quite awhile .
Old 2011-02-16, 14:25   Link #8
marvelB

I wonder if the mermaid queen is another copypasta'd Nami......

Anyway, I'm sorta thinking that the queen's assassination may be connected to Fisher Tiger's death somehow. Like maybe he attempted to save her life and the same killing blow that snuffed out the queen ended up killing him as well. Or maybe whatever circumstances leading up to her death is what killed him instead (political strife/persecution/a secret affair/etc.). That would certainly explain why Jones' crew is so dead-set on toppling the kingdom......
Old 2011-02-16, 14:38   Link #9
Rainbowman

The main highlight of this chapter is the sea forest is actually a graveyard that included the deceased queen. Sounds like we have a tragic flashback coming up. As for the name Otohime, sounds almost like Orihime of Bleach.
Old 2011-02-16, 16:45   Link #10
Homura7

The queen died 10 years ago, the same time Shirahoshi met Vander Decken IX, the same time Arlong went to the East Blue, and without any doubt, the same time Fisher Tiger died as well.

Can this gonna be epic flashback come already?
Old 2011-02-16, 17:05   Link #11
ZeroForever

Otohime is a traditional japanese folklore name associated with the palace.

As noted given what we know with the time lines it wouldn't be surprising if everything was interlinked, still surprised we haven't heard anything about robin or franky yet though.
Old 2011-02-16, 17:17   Link #12
Homura7

So I remember someone here wanted the princess to have a tragic flashback. There you go.
Old 2011-02-16, 17:21   Link #13
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
You are right, though, it could be that Decken was quite young at the time as well, which makes the image a bit more acceptable.
If that is the case, it's natural. A young man having a crush/obsession with a young girl. Nothing pedophile about that at all .
Old 2011-02-17, 00:57   Link #14
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
The main highlight of this chapter is the sea forest is actually a graveyard that included the deceased queen. Sounds like we have a tragic flashback coming up. As for the name Otohime, sounds almost like Orihime of Bleach.
"hime" is princess.

Otohime = princess of Ryuuguu Palace (The undersea Dragon Palace)
Orihime = princess of the star Vega, and lover of Hikoboshi, prince of Altair. It's basically the asian Rome & Juliet.

Both are folklore princess.
Old 2011-02-17, 04:09   Link #15
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Now wouldn't that suck if Luffy just happened to touch Hody's right hand~?
Old 2011-02-17, 13:02   Link #16
Distinction

Deckens Df is like the worst Df in the One Piece universe.
If the person is way weaker than the Df holder it doesnt matter because he doesnt need the Df to kill. He could use it gangsterlike and constantly threat one but srsly this instead of swimming?
Totaly not worth, plus he can do it on 2 ppl only.

If the person is strong-stronger he can defend it like Luffy did. And now only 2 people can get "stored".

Also he is a fishman, who gave up swimming for that, and Arlong wanted him as his underling,
with One Piece logic he cant be that strong. I thought his only change was a strong Df.
Old 2011-02-17, 13:42   Link #17
AlaAlba

lol, hachi is so damn lame and stupid.

"hey Hodi! He's gonna kill me at this rate. Stop Decken!" he said? Puppuu, die already defend yourself buddy, where you left your damn swords? lawl.

and useless skeleton is useless, just cut those wounded pirates, that'll settle the problem.
Old 2011-02-17, 14:09   Link #18
Slayerx

Quote:
and I am extremely grossed out by the prospect that she could have been 10 or so at the time (makes me hope the Princess is in her 30s, making the contact slightly less gross)); .
I've been thinking similar for a while now...
I mean he fell in love and has been wanting to marry her for the last 10 years. But since she does not look very old, which means if we go back 10 years it becomes something of a creepy image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distinction View Post
Deckens Df is like the worst Df in the One Piece universe.
If the person is way weaker than the Df holder it doesnt matter because he doesnt need the Df to kill. He could use it gangsterlike and constantly threat one but srsly this instead of swimming?
Totaly not worth, plus he can do it on 2 ppl only.

If the person is strong-stronger he can defend it like Luffy did. And now only 2 people can get "stored".

Also he is a fishman, who gave up swimming for that, and Arlong wanted him as his underling,
with One Piece logic he cant be that strong. I thought his only change was a strong Df.
First, have for a single moment bothered to consider that Decken did not know what devil fruit he was eating?
Second, not being able to swim basically only hinders him down to the level of every human down in the deep blue sea... and we've never had much of a problem with seeing humans as powerful people. Really by the logic of "fishman who can't swim must be weak" we can conclude that "all humans with devil fruits are weak"

Third, I think you may be underestimating the ability... take for instance yuyu hakusho which had a villain with such a power; whatever you thought about the power at first goes out the window when you find out that someone with ordinary human strength can throw a truck at you from a mile away(apparently the writer used the term "throw" very loosely)... ya Luffy deflected one big battle axe... but how will he handle 1000 battle axes? Or possibly even objects the size of buildings? Not to mention all these things could in theory be thrown from anywhere in the world; decken doesn't even have to be in the same timezone to attack someone (there is no range as far as we have heard)... that kind of makes it hard to fight back. Hell to call Decken's power weak is a kin to claiming that ALL long range fighting is weak; afterall, what is his power if not the ultimate marksman technique... guess we should expect nothing from Van Augur, Ussop, or Yasopp

Actually it be kind of funny if this power was in the hands of a marine... namely he'd "Mark" Megellan as a target and quite literally throw criminals into prison; from wherever in the world he is

Last edited by Slayerx; 2011-02-17 at 14:21.
Old 2011-02-17, 14:33   Link #19
ZeroForever

actually good point on the prison aspect, that would be hilariously broken...

I'm still waiting for a giant with a good DF power, now that would be broken...

all and all though that is a amazingly powerful anti person DF as once marked you would have to be ready for attacks any time of day from any direction from all/any type of item with no real way to retaliate if the user wasn't present.
Old 2011-02-17, 14:39   Link #20
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaAlba View Post
lol, hachi is so damn lame and stupid.

"hey Hodi! He's gonna kill me at this rate. Stop Decken!" he said? Puppuu, die already defend yourself buddy, where you left your damn swords? lawl.

and useless skeleton is useless, just cut those wounded pirates, that'll settle the problem.

Well, Zoro pretty much had that idea in mind anyway. I guess Brooke was too preoccupied with the prospect of seeing the princess' panties to finish off the pirates himself.

And about Hachi, notice that he was holding freaking crutches when Decken assaulted him. I really don't think he was in much of a position to defend himself from an attack like that......

Also, I strongly disagree about Decken's power being weak. It may only target 2 people at a time, but it has the potential to be an extremely powerful ability with limitless possibilities. As SlayerX said, what if Decken threw a million weapons at once at his targets? Or he simply threw gigantic objects like battleships at them instead? (And technically, he SHOULD be capable of doing the latter, since mermen are naturally stronger than humans to begin with. Or else he can even use the ES pills to lift up heavier objects.) Heck, maybe he can even get ahold of a crapload of seastone weapons to use against enemy DF users (which would even render the almighty Logias incapable of escaping the mer-pirate's wrath). Plus, he can target a person from anywhere and anytime, which makes it pretty much impossible to defend oneself from flying knives and arrows 24/7 unless you were very well-guarded (like the princess was). When you put those kind of things into consideration, it's really no wonder why Decken is seen as the bigger threat of the two enemy captains.......

Anyway, I don't have much else to say about the chapter. Jinbei pretty much looks the same as he did before the skip (though honestly, I didn't expect to see any major changes to his design anyway), and Dadan's gang wearing straw-hats in the ministory was a pretty neat lil' touch. Perhaps next chapter we'll finally see what Robin and Franky have been up to......
Closed Thread