3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.71%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-02-19, 00:38   Link #301
Roardel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekirei07 View Post
I wonder if this will show if its possible that Witches can be born from corrupted girls. They say Witches are born from Curses right, but the fate of these girls seems like a curse in itself.

More and more I want someone to make a AV of Nanoha doing Starlight Breaker on QB...
Some evidences show that corrupted Mahou Shoujos become Witches. (The similarity of Soul Gem and Grief Seed, for example.) But not certain.
I hope Sayaka won't be a Witch, but we can't assure.
Roardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 01:08   Link #302
RiderLeangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roardel View Post
Some evidences show that corrupted Mahou Shoujos become Witches. (The similarity of Soul Gem and Grief Seed, for example.) But not certain.
I hope Sayaka won't be a Witch, but we can't assure.
I wonder if that's why they have to keep their Soul Gems clean...
Also Grief Seeds seem to look alot like Soul Gems.. think that's what happens?
Like if they use too much magic without "purifying" their Soul Gem it becomes a Grief Seed and the Mahou Shoujo becomes a Witch?...

On one hand I want to say this is crazy speculation on the other hand it seems really likely... XD
RiderLeangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 01:12   Link #303
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
This is why I think something might be up with Hitomi. She was also part of that group that was going to commit mass suicide back in Episode 4, a situation that threatened to have Madoka become a magical girl...

Long story short, I wonder if Hitomi is an undercover accomplice for Kyubey?
Lol, while it may sound fair fetched at this point, it does seem very convenient that she says something like that out of the blue. Very precise timing-- maybe even too precise. I'd laugh if the twist was that she's an MG too though.
Quote:
lol
Hey hey, it's all fun and games til someone claws their throat out.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 01:38   Link #304
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Walls of walls of tl;dr posts. I think I'm going snap soon like Sayaka.

Anyway, a lot of deep conversations in this episode, but I love that one particular line Homura said the most:

「奇跡はね、本当なら人の命でさえ購えるものじゃないのよ。」

"Mircales should be something that cannot be bought even with human's life."

However, Sayaka and others bought their desired mircales with "merely" the cost of being a MG. I mean, what's bigger than life? I know the miracles they asked for might be something trivial in most people's eyes, but a miracle is a miracle, no matter how trivial it is. Therefore, none of the girls really wasted their wishes. Just a thought related to the recent discussion in the speculation thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J the Drafter View Post
One thing that has occured to me is this: Kyube was lying when he said that Sayaka had healing powers because she wished Kamijo's arm back to normal. She actually had those abilities due to her Soul Gem.
Nope, it wasn't a lie. "Healing" and "not feeling pain" are totally two different things. Besides, Sayaka's speciality is not exactly recovering, but quick recovering. Kyuubee did state that her recovery ability was a couple times faster than others', after Kyouko being surprised that she already recovered despite that it should normally take 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Counting in the 2 tails you won in this ep, you still owe me 8 from the Mami bet

I said this one was a long shot, but yea, your win. Still a bit risky to "guarantee" it.
Even though my post was mostly meant for joke, I had to throw in something serious too. I did firmly believe that Sayaka would survive this episode.

And guess what? I think Sayaka will survive next episode again. Maybe this time I wouldn't say I will guarantee it, but I can bet on it.

As for Mami bet, erm, I still believe she will come back in some way, fyi.
guuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 01:48   Link #305
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

On 2channel, this show has now reached its 330th thread (i.e., over 330,000 posts). The super-popular Bakemonogatari is still only on its 317th. Amazing. I believe this makes MadoMagi the most popular of all Shinbou shows with 2channelers.

When I checked 24 hours ago, it was only at 311. Popularity seem to be rising as quickly there as here, where successive episode threads seem to be growing in size. On amazon.jp, the first volume of the DVD was tenth among all DVDs, and the BD 2nd among all BDs (anime and other).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 02:21   Link #306
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
「奇跡はね、本当なら人の命でさえ購えるものじゃないのよ。」

"Mircales should be something that cannot be bought even with human's life."

However, Sayaka and others bought their desired mircales with "merely" the cost of being a MG. I mean, what's bigger than life?
That's the point. Your life as an MG fighting witches is not enough payment for the miracle, yet Kyubey is selling them for that price anyway... It means he's getting extra payment somehow, because he's not going to give you anything for free. Maybe those grief seeds he eats are such extra payment.

Then again, maybe Kyubey's little miracles end up failing because the world balances the lack of payment with despair.

In any case, Kyubey's miracles are a rip-off.
Old 2011-02-19, 02:24   Link #307
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Tangential to the whole "is having your soul ripped out and stuck in a gem worth angst over" debate- the claim was made that Kuybee hasn't taken their souls and that they still own their own souls.

Do they? How exactly do we know that?

Traditionally, stories about people taking their souls and hiding it in an object so that they can't be killed end with them either going to hell or oblivion.

Traditional ideas about how the soul works says that when the body dies the soul is released from inside the body and then goes to heaven and/or hell, or is reincarnated. However, if the soul has already been taken out of the body and is manifest as an object, and that object is destroyed- wouldn't that mean the soul itself has been destroyed? Deader Than Dead, no heaven or reincarnation for you. That's the usual justification for oblivion in these types of stories.

Alternatively, several of these stories involved making a deal with the devil. The devil extracted your soul and put it in the phylactery, but if the phylactery is destroyed he comes and collects your soul- because it already doesn't belong to you anymore.

I find the first possibility the most likely for this show. But what I find least likely, is the idea that when your soul gem is destroyed that your soul just goes off to where it would have if you hadn't become a Magical Girl. Why are people just assuming that is the case?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 02:41   Link #308
Sol Falling

Here are some further wall of text posts :P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
I see a lot of references to Sayaka "snapping" or losing her mind at the end. Was this an impression folks got from the raws, or am I perhaps seeing this differently?

I have to say, I'd be really disappointed if they had her snap, if only because it would be the obvious development. "Hey, we broke the cutie, now she's crazy and possibly turning heel." Man, I sure hope that's not where they're going.

My take would be that there's a subtle difference between losing your humanity and losing your mind. Sayaka's character arc foreshadowed that her morality would end up whiplashing on her, and creating a tragic antagonist. But even now, she's not giving in to her jealousy of Hitomi, or even abandoning her principles of protecting people as a MG. What she's losing her grip on isn't her idealism or her sanity; it's herself.

Consider that her breakdown in front of Madoka comes less from believing she's lost any chance with her love interest, or out of anger at Hitomi, and more out of her self-loathing for ever even considering that she could have just let Hitomi be killed by the witch. She hates what she's become, both figuratively and also literally, in the sense that she sees herself as a walking corpse who could never sustain a relationship with a human.

In her berserker moment at the end, she realizes that the pain goes away when she stops thinking of herself as a human being -- as represented by her body -- and instead gives herself over to being a MG. Of course, she's talking about physical pain, but one doesn't need a microscope to read between the lines. This to me is a MUCH more interesting development than another sweet-girl-tortured-until-she-goes-bats#*$. The differences may turn out to be subtle, but they made a big deal out of her remaining steadfastly principled throughout the episode, and Homura DID point out that as a MG, she's literally not human. We may be looking not at a distortion or destruction, but at a disconnection. And frankly, that could be much more tragic than violent insanity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
I think you mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread that you always have a choice whether to accept or angst about things. I agree, and I'm going to take this even further than you did, and say that tragedy has nothing to do with people or uncontrollable forces screwing with characters' lives. Tragedy always comes from the characters, never from the plot itself.

One of Nanoha's character traits is that she can deal with pretty much anything that gets thrown her way, which is why I never really feel sympathy for Nanoha. This is why there is no tragedy in Nanoha's life. Tragedy requires a tragic flaw. Nanoha has no tragic flaws. In her world, obstacles and enemies are there for her to overcome them, not for them to persecute her.

Sayaka does have flaws, which is why her narrative reads like an actual tragedy. Whether you think the things that are happening to her are bad or not bad, it's pretty clear she can't deal with them. That's what makes her life a tragedy, and that's what makes all this comparison between Nanoha and Sayaka off-base.
These two posts do a great job of saying something I wanted to say. Sayaka's story is a tragedy, which means that her fate and her suffering will be the result of a flaw in her own character. However, it also means that she will always remain sympathetic to the audience--there will be no 'snapping' or psychotic breakdown which will allow us to alienate ourselves from her and subject her to judgement.

People need to stop taking the Soul Gem and Hitomi issues as the actual trigger for this episode's breakdown. Those merely represent external issues, personal difficulties with which Sayaka is struggling. The more relevant aspect, however, is a breakdown in Sayaka's character: in that she had always believed both her own and Mahou Shoujos' lives should be about righteousness. Driven by both her own justice and Mami's example, Sayaka wanted to see righteousness embodied, and it was this desire that allowed her to take on a fate we all know is irreversible. As such, the Soul Gem and Hitomi's confession might have been what started Sayaka questioning, the former with regards to the cost to herself and the latter the extent of her altruism; but it was the way her reaction broke her illusion of herself that is the true source of her pain and suffering. In this episode, for Sayaka, both her own altruism and Kyouko's despicability came to be deeply questioned. As she was on the verge of feeling she has made a mistake she can never take back, the mad laughter she met the only escape she happened upon was heart-rending and powerfully in character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Btw, are we supposed to take Kyoko at face value when she said the world is balanced out. For all the hope (wishes) there needs to be equal despair brought into the world?

Or should we just take that as the lesson Kyoko took from her past (ie: while true to her perspective, might not be true in the bigger scheme of things).
I'd like to comment briefly (or not so briefly) on people's fixations on evaluating this show as a 'grimdark' horror reel or mahou shoujo deconstruction. I really think if you're just looking for death and carnage or else a lambasting of a perfectly fine and audience appropriate genre of fiction, that would be totally empty and you probably won't be exactly getting it. On the latter point, I agree with some other posters and the statement from Shinbo which started this series in that “Mahou Shoujo series are fun”--that on some level show is being made and being watched because people like Mahou Shoujo in the first place. So I really don’t think this show should be evaluated on how well it provides shock-value gore and bloodiness or otherwise betrays genre conventions.

Instead, what I feel Urobochi Gen has brought and this show has excelled delivering is a fascinating juxtaposition of fiction with reality. On a principle level, one of the cold facets of our real-life existences is that intentions don’t always translate into reality. As Homura in this episode tells us, in the real world there are some things unreachable or unattainable which you could not trade even your whole life for. This is a contrast with one of the general escapist strengths of fiction, whose themes often include the idea that ‘anything is possible’. However, the juxtaposition which this show introduces is precisely a quantified, limited, contracted translation of the power of fiction into the context of reality—the chance to make, just once, something impossible (a wish/intention) possible. Under the defined terms of this limited opportunity, in the hands of adolescent girls who have just begun to see the world’s genuine reality--to what degree will they be able to take hold of these miracles and reach out to grasp genuine happiness?

Under these terms, I don’t feel the strength of this show will be its ability to displace escapist fictional conventions (friendship and idealism win the day, general happiness, everybody lives etc.) with further fictional (though negative) contrivances (i.e. endless deaths and unimaginable suffering lead down a path of psychological breakdowns and misery). I feel that instead the tone will be governed precisely by these intersections of intention with reality; because if positive, hopeful intentions (i.e. wishes) are translatable into reality, then it only stands to reason that this is also true for negative intentions—and then, however, only to the extent that both of these intentions reasonably exist in reality! Thus the question of tone then becomes: if on some level real world intentions were quantifiable, how would things work out in the overall balance?—gaining contrast with escapist or horror fictions which ignore reality altogether. For the setting of adolescent girls living in a peaceful metropolitan city, while I expect a grimness or tragedy appropriate to modern reality, I do honestly think it would be out of place to expect something mindbendingly grotesque or terrible.

This finally brings me to the issue creb noted which Kyouko brought up in this episode. Due to the somewhat mechanical operation of Grief Seeds filling up and emptying, I have suspected for some time now that in the Puella Magi universe, feelings and intentions (at least of the negative kind; grief, despair, etc.) are a measurable and conservable quantity. If this is the case, it is then natural to assume that in a logical universe they exist in a natural balance or equilibrium. Moreso than saying that hope and despair must be distributed equally, it think it would be quite logical for them to exist in proportion to feelings from the general population fuelling them. Thus, a wish which consumes positive energy will leave more room for despair in the world; while Grief Seeds concentrating darkness which naturally arises from people cannot empty themselves without in some manner causing grief and suffering. Mahou Shoujos are thus fighting against a natural force or quantity which can only truly be destroyed by sacrificing positive energy; as it is, no perfect way to destroy darkness/despair or create hope/happiness can exist because they must remain in equilibrium.

This, too, is something I feel if true would be reflective of reality. In the natural world, you can neither create something out of nothing, nor reduce an existing thing into complete nothingness; in physical terms, changes are always affected by an equal loss in matter or energy. I feel, realistically, positive and negative intentions must exist in a balance naturally; and so, with regards to Kyouko’s statement, this is my interpretation.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2011-02-19 at 03:55.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 02:42   Link #309
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Tangential to the whole "is having your soul ripped out and stuck in a gem worth angst over" debate- the claim was made that Kuybee hasn't taken their souls and that they still own their own souls.

Do they? How exactly do we know that?

Traditionally, stories about people taking their souls and hiding it in an object so that they can't be killed end with them either going to hell or oblivion.

Traditional ideas about how the soul works says that when the body dies the soul is released from inside the body and then goes to heaven and/or hell, or is reincarnated. However, if the soul has already been taken out of the body and is manifest as an object, and that object is destroyed- wouldn't that mean the soul itself has been destroyed? Deader Than Dead, no heaven or reincarnation for you. That's the usual justification for oblivion in these types of stories.

Alternatively, several of these stories involved making a deal with the devil. The devil extracted your soul and put it in the phylactery, but if the phylactery is destroyed he comes and collects your soul- because it already doesn't belong to you anymore.

I find the first possibility the most likely for this show. But what I find least likely, is the idea that when your soul gem is destroyed that your soul just goes off to where it would have if you hadn't become a Magical Girl. Why are people just assuming that is the case?
Nobody is assuming that, Sackett.

Some of us are just not assuming the worst, either, and hence are taking things at face value for now.

A lot of people were assuming the worst about wishes in this anime, saying that they'd have a monkey's paw catch to them. Well hey, by all accounts, Kamijo's hand is still healed, and he's doing fine. Seems to be no monkey's paw catch here, in spite of all the speculations to the contrary. (And this is a clear-cut case where the anime chose a less darker route than the darkest route possible, imo)

A lot of people were also predicting mass character death in this anime, and/or that Sayaka would be dead within an episode or two of her "death flags" coming up. Seven episodes in, and Mami is still the only character to die.

A big part of the reason why I've argued that this anime isn't as dark as some people have made it out to be is because some of the more commonly held dark speculations have not come to pass. To be blunt, I'm growing a bit skeptical of the notion of just assuming worst-case scenario outcomes, because so far, we're not getting that at all, imo. And there's not that many episodes left now...

Sure, Sayaka is going through some tough times, but she's not dead, like so many people thought she would be by now.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-02-19 at 02:56.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 03:38   Link #310
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
A lot of people were assuming the worst about wishes in this anime, saying that they'd have a monkey's paw catch to them. Well hey, by all accounts, Kamijo's hand is still healed, and he's doing fine. Seems to be no monkey's paw catch here, in spite of all the speculations to the contrary. (And this is a clear-cut case where the anime chose a less darker route than the darkest route possible, imo)
I never subscribed to the Monkey Paw theory personally, but I would have to disagree with your result here. Because for Sayaka, the outcome is totally Monkey Paw. It's blatantly obvious that her real wish behind healing Kamijo was to be with him, and now Hitomi is about to take him away from her. Likewise, Kyoko's wish turned into the opposite of what she wanted. The wishes didn't bring them happiness, but rather the opposite. Monkey Paw indeed.

Quote:
A lot of people were also predicting mass character death in this anime, and/or that Sayaka would be dead within an episode or two of her "death flags" coming up. Seven episodes in, and Mami is still the only character to die.
But only because the story _slowed down_ for more exposition and storytelling. What people like me were predicting to happen after ep3 is happening NOW. Exactly as predicted. It just took a little more time.

Quote:
A big part of the reason why I've argued that this anime isn't as dark as some people have made it out to be is because some of the more commonly held dark speculations have not come to pass. To be blunt, I'm growing a bit skeptical of the notion of just assuming worst-case scenario outcomes, because so far, we're not getting that at all, imo. And there's not that many episodes left now...
Fine, let's wait a bit more until it jumps into your face.

Quote:
Sure, Sayaka is going through some tough times, but she's not dead, like so many people thought she would be by now.
So it's gonna happen to her in ep 8/9 instead of 5/6, because of extra storytelling and focus on new surprising developments (Soul Gem) which however fit with the darkest explanations and can not be taken as "ah, the show isn't so dark as people said it would be". At least in my opinion.

Sorry. For me this feels like jumping off a skyscraper and then arguing "hey look it's really not at all that bad - we passed these 25 levels and nothing has happened, really" ^_^;
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 04:14   Link #311
N1k1tung

10/10 for this episode, since in addition to usual quality it made me sympathise with a witch, and Madoka's last line of the ep confirmed it was intended.
N1k1tung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 06:11   Link #312
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I noted this in episode 6 along with other reasons why having your soul outside your body and working as per ep 6 is a POS deal and the drawbacks are obvious with minor thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post
Yes it does for the following reasons
i) Your soul gem is an open target for anyone who knows the fact. Homura's shunpo would be invincible vs any MS
ii) The darkening of the soul gem takes on new meaning
iii) If you're immortal. you're fighting forever. Not until you grow old and die, but until the inevitable day you get killed and probably trapped in the witch dimension.
iv) Depending on where you wear your soulgem, seperating it from you would be as easy as chopping off a limb.
v) Once beyond the 100 meters range you're likely comatose and helpless. This is usable for any normal human who knows the secret and wants to control a few MS
vi) Any religion that links to souls would not be viable to you since your case is an exception so no idea what happens to you when you die. Permanent destruction?
vii) Unless the soulgem is super strong (unlike Sayaka's blades which shatter alot), your soulgem becomes a big problem if you're slammed onto the ground or suffer a major impact
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 07:06   Link #313
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I seriously doubt we'll be seeing any wish-twisting. As you may recall, Kyoko's wish was merely for people to show up to her father's sermons. She assumed (as much as a child can assume) that her father's words were good enough already, she just wanted people to give them a chance and show up to his church. His words were not given magical powers, because that itself would be useless in a situation where no one shows up. Instead, people were magically drawn to attend his sermons, regardless of what he actually said.

It wasn't a twist of the wish, it was exactly what Kyoko wanted. It just turned out that what she wanted wasn't what her father wanted, which created the conflict. The message she got out of this was the same as Mami's: know exactly what it is you're actually wishing for, which in her case was supposed to be a satisfied family life. If there was wish-twisting surely she would be blaming Kyubeh for her troubles, wouldn't she?
She wished that people would listen. There's more than one way to go about that, but Kubei simply magically forced people to come and listen. Anyway, I didn't really mean "twisting" in the literal sense. I just mean that he granted their wish in a way that one would call "twisted", a way that would almost inevitably lead to pain, because it only does what is said in a direct, forceful manner without any consideration to the long term or to the person's feelings.
Anyway, a wish that steals others' free will and forces them to listen to a person sounds a lot like a curse to me.

Also, Kyubei didn't actually say "if you go further". He said "Narete kurereba", meaning "If you get used to it" or "if you accept it". Thus, he's probably referring to the fact that she can forget about pain and danger and just go all out, but that if she completely forgets about such things she'll ultimately be a slower, weaker figher because the sense and concern for pain and danger play a major role in a person's ability to fight effectively, avoiding things that would slow them down or hinder their fight.

Last edited by Seiryuu; 2011-02-19 at 07:21.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 07:43   Link #314
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
It kinda got off point a bit, too. The main comparison was to show that Nanoha had her life screwed with just as much, if not more so, than Sayaka.
I haven't watched Nanoha so just out of curiosity, how much of that happened under 7 episodes?

Anyway, i think how people percieve the show as whole depends on how much they sympathise with the characters. I sympathised with Sayaka utterly and found this whole episode incredibly depressing, even worse than Saya no Uta. Those that don't sympathise with her pains as much clearly won't think it's that dark.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 07:52   Link #315
zato_1one

I don't think that death is the only way to make the series feel darker. Making the character live with suffering, if done right, is actually worse than death. IMO
Old 2011-02-19, 07:55   Link #316
fukarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
That's the point. Your life as an MG fighting witches is not enough payment for the miracle, yet Kyubey is selling them for that price anyway... It means he's getting extra payment somehow, because he's not going to give you anything for free. Maybe those grief seeds he eats are such extra payment.

Then again, maybe Kyubey's little miracles end up failing because the world balances the lack of payment with despair.

In any case, Kyubey's miracles are a rip-off.
How can you come up with such conclusion? Can it be that Kyube selling miracle as a discount? Why do you have to assume the worst?

Even if the grief seeds he eats as extra payment, MG do not suffered from it so I don't see where the "rip-off" coming from? Kinda like the whole recycling business. Kyube contract MG to collect empty glass bottles and stuff, and in return he recycle the glass bottle and make a profit. What's wrong with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I never subscribed to the Monkey Paw theory personally, but I would have to disagree with your result here. Because for Sayaka, the outcome is totally Monkey Paw. It's blatantly obvious that her real wish behind healing Kamijo was to be with him, and now Hitomi is about to take him away from her. Likewise, Kyoko's wish turned into the opposite of what she wanted. The wishes didn't bring them happiness, but rather the opposite. Monkey Paw indeed.
I completely disagree. If Sayaka want to be with Kamijo, she should wish for that. A monkey paw in this situation, would be like Sayaka wish for Kamijo's hand to heal so he can play violin again, and ends up Kamijo's hand is heal by sacrificing his violin playing ability. That would be the monkey paw situation.

For example, I wish to have 100 million dollars so I can live happily ever after with my love one. If my love one dies so I can sue whoever is responsible for 100 million dollars than it is a monkey paw situation. So I win the lottery for 100 million and buy a Ferrari, my love ones drive, crash and die, it is not a money paw situation and I have no one to blame except myself.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 07:55   Link #317
jeroz
Art Block Specialist

It's not that the wish is being twisted, but that the outcome of having an external force acting on the situation is always turn out to be worse than the wisher originally anticipated.

It's like you are having a headache and decide to take a pain killer. Little did you know that the pain killer reacts with some other stuff you take and creates adverse reactions in your body.

Of course, a bit more research into the topic would help a lot. However sometimes when you are in a critical situation there's just no time to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
I don't think that death is the only way to make the series feel darker. Making the character live with suffering, if done right, is actually worse than death. IMO
We already had physical death, now it's time for psychological torture.
Too many bodies then it's just become statistics.
Old 2011-02-19, 08:03   Link #318
Dharma

Quote:
i) Your soul gem is an open target for anyone who knows the fact.
And why it is easier than direct attack? More, why it is easier than direct attack on non zombie girl?
Quote:
Homura's shunpo would be invincible vs any MS
Already is.
Quote:
ii) The darkening of the soul gem takes on new meaning
But what meaning? We still don’t know. Scary? Yes. Bad? May be not as bad as we imagine.
Quote:
ii) If you're immortal. you're fighting forever. Not until you grow old and die, but until the inevitable day you get killed
But you can be killed. You probably even aren’t going to live long enough to feel the difference.
Quote:
and probably trapped in the witch dimension.
Only evidence we have - Mamis death - hints the contrary.
Quote:
iv) Depending on where you wear your soulgem, seperating it from you would be as easy as chopping off a limb.
And throwing it away. Again, only marginally easier than direct attack on non zombie girl.
Quote:
v) Once beyond the 100 meters range you're likely comatose and helpless.
Agreed. But rarely happens.
Quote:
This is usable for any normal human who knows the secret and wants to control a few MS
How?
Quote:
vi) Any religion that links to souls would not be viable to you since your case is an exception so no idea what happens to you when you die. Permanent destruction?
Does it matter?
Shintoism is quite accommodating religion.
Using magic by itself considered blaspheme in some religions.
Try and ask a priest about such situation. Even more strict religions are mach more accommodating than you think.
What exactly is the problem? “no idea”? But permanent destruction is sound idea.
Quote:
vii) Unless the soulgem is super strong (unlike Sayaka's blades which shatter alot), your soulgem becomes a big problem if you're slammed onto the ground or suffer a major impact
And why it cannot be strong enough? Sayaka's blades are throw away weapons.

So as result we have essential feature with one minor flaw and some crucial things we can speculate about.

Quote:
drawbacks are obvious with fertile imagination
Repaired.
Old 2011-02-19, 08:20   Link #319
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
I completely disagree. If Sayaka want to be with Kamijo, she should wish for that. A monkey paw in this situation, would be like Sayaka wish for Kamijo's hand to heal so he can play violin again, and ends up Kamijo's hand is heal by sacrificing his violin playing ability. That would be the monkey paw situation.
Well lets just say it's more like a wish not well thought out rather then a monkey paw situation. Sayaka wish was to heal Kamijo so he would be happy but the cost was high in the fact that she can no longer live a normal life with him. It appears that deep down she was hoping that after making her wish Kamijo would make a recovery and be able to move on with her. However she didn't heed Mami's warning and now pays for it by watching the boy she loves taken away by one of her best friends.

So not a monkey paw she got exactly what she wanted however the tragedy here is her lack of foresight. It would've taken longer but the better alternative would be to help Kamijo get over his emotional break down and stay by his side until he was able to except his fate but tossed her life away for a wish and now can't even be there for him to enjoy happinesses together.
Old 2011-02-19, 08:37   Link #320
fukarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Well lets just say it's more like a wish not well thought out rather then a monkey paw situation. Sayaka wish was to heal Kamijo so he would be happy but the cost was high in the fact that she can no longer live a normal life with him. It appears that deep down she was hoping that after making her wish Kamijo would make a recovery and be able to move on with her. However she didn't heed Mami's warning and now pays for it by watching the boy she loves taken away by one of her best friends.

So not a monkey paw she got exactly what she wanted however the tragedy here is her lack of foresight. It would've taken longer but the better alternative would be to help Kamijo get over his emotional break down and stay by his side until he was able to except his fate but tossed her life away for a wish and now can't even be there for him to enjoy happinesses together.
Exactly! That is what I see as well. In ep 4, Sayaka actually thinks about what she really wants. She decided to do the "right" thing (healing Kamijo's hand, asking nothing in return) instead of doing what she really wants (Kamijo love her back). She thinks about that, she makes up her choice and she need to live with the consequences. Even Sayaka did not complain about her wish and Kyube, but for some reason some people here blame everything on Kyube and the wish.

Example: There is someone who I love very dearly. So dearly that I would do anything for her, including, but not limited to giving her all my wealth, sacrifice my arms and legs, killing someone for her and going to jail for it. Of course I would hope that she reciprocate my feelings, visit and love me back when I live on the street, become disabled and locked up in a maximum security prison. But even if she didn't and leave and forget about me completely, there is nothing to complain as that is my choice. If she loves me back, that is a bonus, but I certainly shouldn't be expecting it when I make my sacrifice.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote