Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-03-04, 12:58   Link #681
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
wandering-dreamer pointed something given her behavior.
Spoiler for About the possible Trauma:
Right on the money if you ask me.
Old 2011-03-04, 21:36   Link #682
Dralha

Whoa...

Spoiler for Episode 7:
Old 2011-03-05, 00:18   Link #683
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Spoiler for Episode 7:
Old 2011-03-05, 02:30   Link #684
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Phryné being a rape victim does make sense. It would explain her apparent self-loathing. Rape victims tend to blame themselves and think they're "dirty".
Old 2011-03-05, 21:11   Link #685
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Spoiler for episode 7:
Same here. I was actually very very unamused by this. I don't get why people found it the most exciting episode so far. Boring episode that was all over the place.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 21:16   Link #686
RiderLeangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Same here. I was actually very very unamused by this. I don't get why people found it the most exciting episode so far. Boring episode that was all over the place.
Well take away the first half and just leave the second half and it's done more than the 6 and a half episodes before it, like be interesting...

I'm not trying to be a hater yet something about this show just doesn't grab me.. for some reason I still watch.. guess just to see in case something happens.. Like it gets a plot
RiderLeangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 08:20   Link #687
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I finished marathoning up to episode 7. I actually found myself enjoying this series quite a bit. It's far too ambitious for what it tries to do, but other than that the setting is really fun to watch and think about. The pacing is slow, and the plot suffers for this, especially in regards to how much time is shown with Lost Millenium compared to the rest of Fractale and the Temple, but the hints are usually enough to extrapolate with. I loved Xanadu though, amazing design.

I can definitely see why this is unpopular with the average anime fan though.
Old 2011-03-06, 09:25   Link #688
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I can definitely see why this is unpopular with the average anime fan though.
The way I see it, and others have mentioned this before, the main reason why one were to watch Fractale would be because of the Fractale system itself. In this essence, Fractale is not as much of an action-adventure story as it is a mystery. I wouldn't say the characters are bad or that their development is impaired, they lack impact for sure, but they're all subservient to the unfolding of the setting. The main writer, Azuma Hiroki, talked about this in his works, how today's otaku do not care as much for the worldview and story progressions as they do for character designs. That's why so many fans got caught up on things such as Team Rocket or Clain wearing fundoshi and so on. As the author himself is aware of the situation, I believe they wanted to push viewers into a different direction, making a story similar to the likes of .hack// where greater importance is placed on the essence of the world itself rather than the grand story or the lives of characters within. So the otaku didn't quite bite the idea, but the general audiences didn't play along as well, although for the former it's more a fault of the anime format, the genre of the story, and of the visual presentation.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 12:52   Link #689
Key Board
Carbon

http://twitter.com/takashipom

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/yarareyak...8/e8b0ad62.png
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/yarareyak...3/a3acf691.png
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/yarareyak...5/35a83311.png
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/yarareyak...c/9cdb6b00.png

Takashi Murakami seems baffled at his recent cameo in Fractale 07

Yamakan reassures him it's respect but seeing your animated self
Spoiler:
Yamakan then says he apologizes if he has insulted Murakami, but if Murakami is unwilling to accept it and makes a fuss over this, that is also acceptable. (because then it becomes viral marketing?)
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2011-03-06 at 13:07.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 15:16   Link #690
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Erm, what exactly are you referring to? I managed to find those tweets and plug them into google translate but I'm still confused, who exactly is Takashi Murakami and how did he appear in Fractale? Was he the sculptor guy?
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 18:59   Link #691
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Isn't TM that controversial artist?

Anyway Xanadu seems similar to a city in something else but i can't place it.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 20:08   Link #692
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I wouldn't say the characters are bad or that their development is impaired, they lack impact for sure, but they're all subservient to the unfolding of the setting. The main writer, Azuma Hiroki, talked about this in his works, how today's otaku do not care as much for the worldview and story progressions as they do for character designs.
The problem here is that characters are what drive a story. This isn't just an otaku thing, it's a fundamental aspect of creative writing. The character with the most depth at this point is Clain, and even he isn't very deep. He likes antique technology and lampshading how ridiculous the script is. Phryne hates love because she thinks she doesn't deserve to be loved. Nessa loves love. Enri projects her fascination with sex onto everything around her. Sunda may or may not be completely crazy. That's basically all we know about this cast after seven episodes. Clain's father was better developed than our main characters, and that's a problem.

Emphasizing the world over the characters themselves can work, but they're not doing that very well, either. We're being intentionally kept in the dark about the Fractale system and the people who run it, presumably so they can have some big reveal at the end where all the pieces fall into place. The problem is that we're not really learning anything interesting about it in the meantime. Xanadu was cool, but what about the people who live like nomads in the real world while their doppels play there? Do they live similar to the people from Lost Millenium while still being connected to Fractale? How do the Granitz feel about keeping the best of both worlds like this? What about the guy on life support who can only experience the world virtually? They have an interesting setting, but it's not being explored. Most of the screen time is being wasted on pervert jokes, inane slapstick and old women forcing a boy to wear the underwear they like. The framework of an interesting story is here, but the writers have no idea how to bring it out.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 21:53   Link #693
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Emphasizing the world over the characters themselves can work, but they're not doing that very well, either. We're being intentionally kept in the dark about the Fractale system and the people who run it, presumably so they can have some big reveal at the end where all the pieces fall into place.
Regarding intentional vagueness, you could apply such notions to every anime that holds a grand secret, but we don't because in some cases it makes sense to be vague, because that's not all there is to that anime. Yet Fractale only has its setting, it doesn't have a solid storyline, it doesn't have strong characters. You could argue quality on these two merits alone, but anime has the luxury to focus on only a couple of aspects and can still turn out interesting. Granted, the story's setting has rarely been important, but in Fractale's case, I believe it's extremely important.

Imagine if the setting, the Fractale system, was well-defined at the very beginning, in what direction would this anime be heading then? We can't really know for sure, but with all the different factions involved and main characters being what they are, it would most likely come down to a sekai-kei story in which Clain and Nessa try to save the world. I'd go as far as to proclaim that even if such an ending were to happen and the story consequently overshadows everything else, feeling satisfaction over a solid ending isn't the point of this series anyway. So far the story has been all over the place because Clain isn't trying to take any sides, he's merely exploring and trying to get to know the truth (as shaky as this concept is turning out to be). I believe they've given us most of the clues what the grand picture of Fractale looks like. It has now come down to each individual's ability to construct Fractale's reality from tiny clues, and I'm ready to do that. Only Phryne's role hasn't been explained so far, but I'm guessing we'll find that out within the next two episodes. As for all the pieces falling into place in the end, I'm sure that's going to happen, but that's standard fare for any mystery-oriented series. Although, I do agree it does suck not being able to deduce who the killer is before the final chapter.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 00:36   Link #694
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

The problem is that it's keeping too much from us and being too vague. I'm more than willing to follow a trail of breadcrumbs, but with Fractale there's only a small piece of crust every few hundred feet and you have to wade through a swamp to get to them. In order to properly build suspense, you first need to grab the audience. I liked the first episode because it got my attention and piqued my curiosity. The next part of building suspense is gradually revealing things to broaden our understanding of the story in a way that makes us want to know more. Compare this show with Madoka Magica, which has basically the same appeal and has infinitely better storytelling.

To use Xanadu again, as visually spectacular as it was, it was a complete waste of time. We learn nothing from that episode until the last minute when Nessa goes berserk. Nearly everything else we could have figured out based on previously revealed information. Not that introducing the city in itself was a misstep, but it wasn't sufficiently explored to justify the amount of time spent on it. Episode six, however, is a good example of how to build suspense. We're introduced to a new issue (the collapse of society in a post-Fractale area), a new perspective (Clain's father taking the initiative and contributing to society despite being an advocate of the system) and a group who are using different methods to the same ends as the Temple. This broadens our understanding of the universe and makes it more interesting. Episodes seven and especially five do not do this and are basically just a waste of time. If the appeal is primarily the setting, then they should focus on it.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 01:00   Link #695
broken270
Defying gravity

Spoiler:
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 05:02   Link #696
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
So Phyrne was sexually assaulted before...? I can't believe they'd bring such depressing stuff into this. Who's to bet it's that mofo who's on the ship now that did the deed...? 100 bullets on his face won't suffice.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 07:58   Link #697
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
To use Xanadu again, as visually spectacular as it was, it was a complete waste of time. We learn nothing from that episode until the last minute when Nessa goes berserk. Nearly everything else we could have figured out based on previously revealed information. Not that introducing the city in itself was a misstep, but it wasn't sufficiently explored to justify the amount of time spent on it. Episode six, however, is a good example of how to build suspense. We're introduced to a new issue (the collapse of society in a post-Fractale area), a new perspective (Clain's father taking the initiative and contributing to society despite being an advocate of the system) and a group who are using different methods to the same ends as the Temple. This broadens our understanding of the universe and makes it more interesting. Episodes seven and especially five do not do this and are basically just a waste of time. If the appeal is primarily the setting, then they should focus on it.
I couldn't agree more. To be honest, I was a little surprised so much people praised this episode, as episode 6 was a lot more solid all-around (and already explored the same theme). Episode 7 seemed as shallow as Xanadu to me. Looks amazing at first glance, but if you go deeper, you find out it's empty. Thankfully, the last quarter of the episode was good enough to salvage it.
Old 2011-03-07, 19:50   Link #698
Shyne

I'm just glad there hasn't been the sterotypical pathetic beach episode like most anime seem to have that more often then not just destroys the momentum it has. The series feels rushed to me. They're trying to fit too much into 11 episodes and I think that addresses the issue of development that I keep seeing. I like the story, but it is rushed. If more time and episodes were put into the series I think the quality would be higher. Still the last 5 or so minutes was really great and makes me want to watch the next episode.

Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 20:34   Link #699
jzmagic
flargansbog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
So Phyrne was sexually assaulted before...? I can't believe they'd bring such depressing stuff into this. Who's to bet it's that mofo who's on the ship now that did the deed...? 100 bullets on his face won't suffice.
I was going to start watching this series soon, but as soon as I heard of her history, I'm pretty put off from doing so. Not a huge fan of rape history in fantasy/adventure anime.
jzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 21:14   Link #700
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Well it's not a hard fact as of now, most of us are just speculating. But given the not so subtle hints that she was violated in the past in the latter part of episode 7, I think it's real. And we can tell who the bastard is already.

Seriously though Yamakan, this is a surprise we can do without. Is he trolling the otaku population now?
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-1 pictures, noitamina, yamamoto yutaka