Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-03-17, 11:49   Link #1481
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
A question: I remember that mirrors are capable of reflecting radiation. If the robots hypothetically wore a reflective surface, wouldn't that protect them? I imagine it depends on the amount of radiation involved (else building the containment facilities like giant thermoflasks would've solved everything).
LOLWUT!? OK, some materials that do reflect the visible light (a.k.a. mirrors) may reflect lower or higher frequencies, e.g. infra-red, but most radiation particles are not even close to that spectrum... at least, from what I remember when I was bothering with university.

The problem with electronics, is that they rely on transferring a sequence of electrons with minimal interference (should I put it as simple as possible). All forms of radiation particles interact (at least electromagnetically) with those "packets" of electrons, seriously corrupting the signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmox View Post
nah people robots are being used even with the threat of radiation here is another evidence with video in it http://news.discovery.com/tech/japan...rs-110314.html

Spoiler for video window taking too much space:
Well, as the article says, they do not (know) if robots are used in Fukushima, and I think you now have one probable reason
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 11:53   Link #1482
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
A rose and cherry blossums. Someone set that up with yuri in mind.
Um, I'm pretty sure that's just choosing a well-known American flower and a Japanese flower.

............I don't even have a job or money coming in but I just donated to Japan. I can't wait to make some profits in Artist Alley so I can donate more.
Charity feels good!
Old 2011-03-17, 11:59   Link #1483
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
A question: I remember that mirrors are capable of reflecting radiation. If the robots hypothetically wore a reflective surface, wouldn't that protect them? I imagine it depends on the amount of radiation involved (else building the containment facilities like giant thermoflasks would've solved everything).
Wave spectrum. The higher the wave frequency, the more difficult is it to reflect, as defined by that frequency is the number of occurences of a repeating event per unit time.

Think of it as a photon interacting with the material at the incident point, a high frequency wave has a chance to penetrate the surface and be absorbed by the mass due to it striking the surface more times than a regular EM wave in the visible light spectrum.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 11:59   Link #1484
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009

Studio Ghibli also prays for Japan As well!
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 12:04   Link #1485
Seihai
スマイリウム

They couldn't fix the cooling systems till the appointed time. Tepco technicians will continue working on that tomorrow.
Old 2011-03-17, 12:27   Link #1486
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
They couldn't fix the cooling systems till the appointed time. Tepco technicians will continue working on that tomorrow.
They didn't finish the cable run because of time logistics with the water cannons is how I read the NHK blog.

Also, low flying video has been released. (Click play on the left.)

And now blizzards create further complications.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 12:31   Link #1487
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Also, low flying video has been released. (Click play on the left.)
Nothing says "Don't worry" like shaky handicam footage .
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 12:43   Link #1488
Slice of Life
eyewitness

http://www.bousai.ne.jp/eng/

Official radiation data from Fukushima and Miyagi have been all "under survey" (secret) for quite some time already. But why Ishikawa now?
Old 2011-03-17, 14:22   Link #1489
flying ^

US Military’s Quake Aid “Very Inappropriate”

The US military is being accused of cynically using Operation Tomodachi as justification for keeping its bases in Okinawa.

original: http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000010-ryu-oki
translated: http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/0...inappropriate/
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 14:24   Link #1490
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post

The US military is being accused of cynically using Operation Tomodachi as justification for keeping its bases in Okinawa.

yes, twits and idiots come in all colors and nationalities... someone over there reach over and thump the bozo who wrote this and the people amplifying it really hard.

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-03-17 at 14:38.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 14:29   Link #1491
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:

Judging by the comments, it seems most people seem to disagree with the article. Should I say that perhaps journalism has its side of sensationalism wherever you go?

P.S. Thanks for answering my earlier question (tho thinking back, it was a rather ignorant one)
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 14:39   Link #1492
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
Quote:

I would say the comments on this one make up for it
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/0...tary-too-cool/

some of the funniest IMO
Quote:
“Please make Japan a state.”

“As expected of our master! Japan will remain by your side as your Pochi forever!”

“Rather than seeing our government’s incomprehensible press conferences, seeing the US army on the ground is much more reassuring"

“If God made the world into a feature film America would be the protagonist.”

“Americans may be stupidly optimistic but they are certainly brave and believe in justice.”

“It’s amusing that we can rely on another nation’s armed forces more than we can our own government…”
but the best one
Quote:
“I got wet when I saw this on the news. America can have me any time!”
Right here baby...I'm like the American Austin Powers

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 15:03   Link #1493
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I gave myself a 36-hour news blackout from all this - the mood swings were killing me, espeically as I'm to fly into Tokyo 3/31 (rebooked from 3/18). The news that the power has been connected at reactor #2 is potentially a major breakthrough - let's hope so. This story has more twists and turns than the road to Lake Chuzenji, though, and I'm already feeling more nauseous than Natsu from Fairy Tail on a small boat in a typhoon. I'm only hoping this a major breakthrough - not counting on it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 15:33   Link #1494
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

This comment is gold :

Quote:
“If you keep whining we’ll hand the lot of you over to China!”

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 15:53   Link #1495
solomon

I was just talking with my family, who are pretty smart.

But they seem convinced that the situation is much worse than it seems, using the "hindsight" basis. The idea that the Japanese don't like to give direct answers and such and that the government is likely hiding info and such.

Also they cite the big time bailing of foreginers out of Japan as proof as "we got it right, they're hiding something".
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 15:58   Link #1496
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
A baby is born in the tsunami hit hospital and elementary kids have their graduation despite many have lost their parents.

Video link

Maybe it's cause I'm kinda not with it, but this got me teary.
(And damn well put Tokyo's "issues" into proper propective)

@ solomon - the running away occured when embassies all decided to sing the same tune at the same time and panic, that's all.
Nothing like following the mass and freaking out 'just in case'.

The way I see it (and life), not that I wish misfortune on anywhere, but while there are safer places than others (like you wouldn't wanna be in Libya right now), when it's your time to die, it's your time to die.
no matter where you are in the world.

Those running in panic, wouldnt know if a plane had an engine failure and they died.
Those running back home, wouldn't know if someone grabs a gun or knife in their towns and they got caught up in something,

And yet we had what, an old man be swept by the tsunami and pulled out a few days later from the rubble.
He's alive, albiet, maybe only has a few years more but it wasn't his time.

Point being, short of having shinagami eyes, none of us know when we're gonna die or how, but it took 9/11 for me to learn that in life, there are no guarentees to being 'safe' anywhere and that other human beings may be planning your own death, right at the height of your own lives.

It's good enough for me to keep striving everyday for the last 10 years and it's good enough for me to know that I gotta be brave and carry on working here for the kids as well as begin my own new chapter in Tokyo come April.
While i don't wanna die or suffer horribly health wise, as you've seen with 5,000+ people so far, as human beings, we all share that one ultimate fate, nor do we have a choice about it.

Just some of our hourglasses run outta sand before others...
Which is all the more reason to make the most of your lives while you can and live in relative comfort

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2011-03-17 at 16:09.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 16:07   Link #1497
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
I was just talking with my family, who are pretty smart.

But they seem convinced that the situation is much worse than it seems, using the "hindsight" basis. The idea that the Japanese don't like to give direct answers and such and that the government is likely hiding info and such.

Also they cite the big time bailing of foreginers out of Japan as proof as "we got it right, they're hiding something".
Then again, it could be that the 'foreigners' are just as ill-informed and irrational - simply reacting to all the scary conflicting inputs. People don't seem to have the tools or the education to gauge risks in modern society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
A baby is born in the tsunami hit hospital and elementary kids have their graduation despite many have lost their parents.

Video link

Great video... will pass this one around.

I'm just utterly amused/depressed by the dumbfounded reporters who can't seem to grasp people in a refugee shelter seeing to their own needs, gathering firewood, assembling teams to sort/cook available food, leaving their shoes in a designated area to keep the shelter cleaner, etc.

Yeah, there's a lot wrong with 'Japan' but there's a hell of a lot good as well. We just need to stop trading in the Bad Ideas and trade more Good Ideas.
Old 2011-03-17, 16:24   Link #1498
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:

Video link

@ solomon - the running away occured when embassies all decided to sing the same tune at the same time and panic, that's all.
Nothing like following the mass and freaking out 'just in case'.

The way I see it (and life), not that I wish misfortune on anywhere, but while there are safer places than others (like you wouldn't wanna be in Libya right now), when it's your time to die, it's your time to die.
no matter where you are in the world.

Those running in panic, wouldnt know if a plane had an engine failure and they died.
Those running back home, wouldn't know if someone grabs a gun or knife in their towns and they got caught up in something,

And yet we had what, an old man be swept by the tsunami and pulled out a few days later from the rubble.
He's alive, albiet, maybe only has a few years more but it wasn't his time.

Point being, short of having shinagami eyes, none of us know when we're gonna die or how, but it took 9/11 for me to learn that in life, there are no guarentees to being 'safe' anywhere and that other human beings may be planning your own death, right at the height of your own lives.

It's good enough for me to keep striving everyday for the last 10 years and it's good enough for me to know that I gotta be brave and carry on working here for the kids as well as begin my own new chapter in Tokyo come April.
While i don't wanna die or suffer horribly health wise, as you've seen with 5,000+ people so far, as human beings, we all share that one ultimate fate, nor do we have a choice about it.

Just some of our hourglasses run outta sand before others...
Which is all the more reason to make the most of your lives while you can and live in relative comfort
The video definitely pull some heartstrings.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 16:25   Link #1499
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:

Video link

I was very happy and impressed when I saw this. Despite the terrifying experience, people are still able to experience the joy of life. I can hardly imagine how happy the parents must've been (heard the father had trouble going to see the child but eventually managed). I was also very impressed with the discipline the children displayed in the face of adversity. These are very powerful scenes indeed.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 16:29   Link #1500
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

ok fine we wont help, goodbye and good luck! Whats that? he's just a idiot? ok japan we come back ^^

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami