Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-03-23, 11:23   Link #1
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Looking for PG rated anime

Looking for PG without swearing and a little violence (no blood), no boob shots and panty shots. The school is a bit conservative, since it is Catholic, so they might be a little strict with the ratings. (And no dubs are ok)

I hope CLANNAD: the movie and Air: the movie are really PG anime...
Old 2011-03-23, 11:31   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Looking for PG without swearing and a little violence (no blood), no boob shots and panty shots. The school is a bit conservative, since it is Catholic, so they might be a little strict with the ratings. (And no dubs are ok)
Didn't we just recently have this discussion with you? What about all the suggestions you received then?

Quote:
I hope CLANNAD: the movie and Air: the movie are really PG anime...
Is there some reason why you're so focused on Key/KyotoAni shows? Those came up in your earlier thread, too.
Old 2011-03-23, 12:39   Link #3
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

@Seiji: Well that was for G rated anime (going to show it to kids), this one is for middle to high school students. [I just recently received the go that I will go to a summer camp, and they want my suggestions for anime].

@Key: Well I was thinking that they were G rated, didn't really know that they were PG-13. And yes, I received them, but the school will still screen them.
Old 2011-03-23, 13:57   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would recommend Summer Wars. It has a nice family theme aswell...
Old 2011-03-23, 14:37   Link #5
mecharobot

How about Hikaru no Go? I'm pretty sure there was absolutely no fanservice. Very addicting series as well.
Old 2011-03-23, 14:44   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think most any show we mentioned in that thread is probably PG. Most of the shows people here tend to recommend are ones carried in late-night time slots, with the occasional Moribito or Erin which ran in "family-friendly" slots like Saturday morning or Sunday evening. There are some truly G shows like Doraemon, but they're not the kinds of shows most people here watch. (There is a following for shows like PreCure and Jewelpet, so you'll see them appear in the listings on the main page.) Take a look at a sample week's ratings report. Most of the shows at the top of the list are for kids and families. It's the ones shown after 10pm that tend to have more "difficult" content.
Old 2011-03-23, 15:20   Link #7
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Oh I thought you gave G rated anime in that thread...

Although the top ones look G rated, Japan and America have different standards for G...
Old 2011-03-23, 16:43   Link #8
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
Howl's Moving Castle - Rated PG
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0347149/

A Parent's Guide - This has some shows that are rated G some are older but its better than nothing i guess.. You might want to double check the ratings..
http://www.abcb.com/parents/apga_01.htm

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2011-03-24, 04:23   Link #9
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well generally you should stick to anything similar to a Ghibli film. Most of their movies would be fine, save for Mononoke.
Old 2011-03-24, 07:36   Link #10
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I would recommend Summer Wars. It has a nice family theme aswell...
Which is not what the OP wanted since it's rated 12 not PG
Old 2011-03-24, 08:23   Link #11
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It's rated what?!?!?!
Old 2011-03-24, 09:27   Link #12
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Look, I think I see the problem and why this person is asking again...

Consider the setting they're in. Titles 'teens' can access. But unfortunately, due to the environment of the school, needs more conservative material. Yet titles that teens won't find laughable. And frankly, I wouldn't be comfortable showing most of the titles suggested in that thread. Half of them were too serious and the other half were too light-hearted.

And while we're on that - don't show the Air/Clannad movies. Not the type of thing worth showing to a teen. Seriously. ESPECIALLY Air...

Okay, here's the big question - is 13+ allowed or not - the number system isn't used in Australia. I'm presuming you're going to allow anything that is less than 15+ because 15+ would fall into the M category? And what's the gender ratio of your class/people that would be watching? We talking co-ed or single gender school? And are you being restricted to movies due to limited screening or would there be regular enough screening to show series length titles?

I'm going to state the rating of each title I mention to give you options for either outcome. And darn, the 'complete' absence of swearing/service means obvious choices for newer people, like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop,Code Geass, Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note and Samurai Champloo, are out...So we need ones that would be okay for a more conservative environment...hmm...Argh, that really limits the options...okay, I'm going to list titles that aren't just going to be Miyazaki or Hosoda titles. They're for a certain type of audience/person and won't exactly be the best thing to show in a teen environment. I'd be thinking more along the lines of stuff that are fun but don't feel like you either need to be a kid, dream world or in a more anonymous setting to like, because students can be mean like that. I remember when one teacher showed The Never-Ending Story to 17 year olds when I was in high school...man, that was such a mistake. And I think something that isn't too serious/depressing is also required And clearly, nothing that's going to get you in trouble. So with all these factors in mind, I present the following.

Sherlock Hound - Made in the early 80s but has animation and fun standards that blow most modern anime out of the water and look way better than them too. I watched it first when I was 5 back in the mid 80s. Miyazaki was involved in some of the early episodes. It's got the Ghibli feel but without any political/personal ranting that tend to permeate Miyazaki's works. It's clean, good fun watching Holmes and Moriarty verse each other comically with a very incompetent Lestrade in the middle. It's good for all ages.

Voltron - Another 80s one, but mecha oriented. It's corny but is a good fun and was an obligatory one to watch early Saturdays back in the late 80s. Fairly long but it's the kind of fun that transcends the genre and age and has the corniness only that era could. Should be G rated since I was pretty young when I first saw it, but it's silly fun for all ages.

Kamichu - Series from 2005 about a young girl who ends up receiving the powers of a goddess and has a rather intriguing life to balance being a middle schooler and goddess duties. It's very light-hearted and won't offend, unless the Japanese Shinto concept of there being many gods rather than just one could ruffle someone the wrong way. Shouldn't be anything higher than PG. Played it at the local anime club a few years back with an audience that is mainly early 20s and very rowdy, but they were utterly won over by it, so age will not be an issue.

Lovely Complex - Romantic comedy from a few years ago. Even though it's set with high school students, there isn't any fanservice or violence. The gimmick is the guy is short while the girl is very tall. They're both a bit wacky, they have a love-hate relationship that is stuck on friendship level and drives their friends insane. One more for the females, but it went down great in the mainly male crowd at the local club. Series was never licensed but the manga has a 13+ rating. From what you've said, I think that's an acceptable rating?

Legend of Koizumi - Ex-Prime Minister of Japan Junichiro Koizumi owns foreign leaders such as North Korea's Kim Jong Il, China's PM Wen, China's Chairman Mao, George Bush, Vladmir Putin, Hitler - at Mahjong. 3 episodes out thus far. It was made with the intention to be freely available and for anyone to watch. The odd missile/sniper rifle is the only thing that is a little touchy for your environment, but it's a very comical show. Every person I've ever shown this to has laughed themself to near insanity. Besides, who doesn't enjoy seeing Kim Jong Il get owned and throw a tantrum?!

I sincerely hope this helps, because it sounds like you're not having much success with your searches thus far and are very restricted by what you can play. Good luck.
Old 2011-03-24, 11:06   Link #13
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

I'll check some of the serious stuff though. For summer wars, I'll check that one too. The little problem is Legend of Koizumi, with the subject of mahjong... Is mahjong like a gambling game?
Old 2011-03-24, 11:29   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
And frankly, I wouldn't be comfortable showing most of the titles suggested in that thread. Half of them were too serious and the other half were too light-hearted.
My teen-aged daughter enjoyed many of the shows I listed in that other thread, particularly Chi, Cross Game, Dennou Coil, and Erin. Is Chi light-hearted? Of course, but it's incredibly cute and funny as well. It also has its share of emotional moments. Are the others too serious? Apparently the Japanese networks didn't think so since they were all aired in family-friendly time slots. Erin, like Uehashi's other excellent work, Seirei no Moribito, was aired on NHK's educational service.

How about Nijuu Mensou no Musume? I think that might qualify, though there are few violent scenes here and there. I'd have added Shion no Ou to the list, but it's pretty bloody at the outset. After that, not very much. Hikaru is another good choice; I just recommended that to a ten-year-old boy the other day.

I don't think we can put much faith in content ratings since each country has its own definitions of what's acceptable. I have no idea what constitutes "PG" in the Phillippines context. Moribito is rated 13+ in the US. Is that because it has the occasional, highly-stylized, fighting scene, or because the raters thought the political material was too sophisticated for younger viewers? Who really knows? It certainly has none of the usual markers like "bad" language or sexuality.

Summer Wars is, accurately, rated PG in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
I'll check some of the serious stuff though. For summer wars, I'll check that one too. The little problem is Legend of Koizumi, with the subject of mahjong... Is mahjong like a gambling game?
Though I laughed a lot at Koizumi, I'm not sure most contemporary 13-year-olds are going to know or care enough about international politics to recognize the Kims or Mao. Mahjong can be played for stakes, though in this context, the stakes aren't financial but political. Watch episode one and you'll see.

Can I ask one other question, bhl88, what about magic? Would something like Mahou Shoujotai Arusu or Someday's Dreamers be off the table because they posit worlds where magic is real? How about stories with supernatural settings in general?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-03-24 at 11:44.
Old 2011-03-24, 12:30   Link #15
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Your daughter is lucky, Seiji, because I don't know any girl that age that has tastes anywhere near that and definitely no boy. I'm basing it off my own personal experiences, Seiji. In my neck of the woods, they're either yaoi fangirls, Shounen Jump fangirls or shoujo fans. I generally don't see them branch out into more vaired tastes until they're adults. As for males, I generally don't see them develop broader tastes until they're nearing 25.

Individual tastes and how one reacts to a series when they watch it alone is one thing. But in a collective group, peer pressure and anger will be prevalent. You have to be diplomatic and strategic as to what you offer. If you're not pleasing the majority, you'll be overthrown. Trust me, because I cater to a group of 30+ people myself. And it varies from fulfilling to utterly thankless. A fair proportion of people will vocally disagree with you and think they can do it better. My motto has always been to cater to a variety of tastes but you'd be surprised how many people will shoot you down for doing that, even if more people will shoot you down if you don't.

For what it's worth, I also thought of Someday's Dreamers. Except I wonder of people of that age would be able to comprehend it. Plus there's the shirtless scene...I'm not sure if people would react to it well. Yes, it's a harmless scene, but any random person can have a misinterpretation that balloons into a fiasco.
Old 2011-03-24, 16:57   Link #16
FireChick

I found some PG anime.

Hitohira
Tamayura
Aria
Ultra Maniac
Petite Princess Yucie

Will these work?
Old 2011-03-25, 02:20   Link #17
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

@Seiji: Oh don't worry.... the kids watch Disney (so they know about fairies)... it'll look like discrimination if they accept Disney magic but not other magic.... I'll try. I'm asking 12 people to screen all the anime I'm recommending (including the ones from the other thread all at once).

@Fire: I'll add those to the list as well.