Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-10-28, 06:51   Link #121
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
But there IS a problem. The japanese language is actively changing, even now. There are katakana books just of internet and computer words to translate them for the rest of the Japanese who arent up to speed. Just because "Eroge" is not in the dictionary doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Beside, the japanese love shortening everything that they can....
"erotikku (->ero) geemu" -> "eroge" (god that looks so hidious in romaji)

It is not a limited word in japanese to a cult community. Therefore, there is a problem with translating to this something in our (being English speakers) culture.... even though the words both came from our (being English speakers) culture. The problem in translation here is more of a vocabulary issue that results from the culture issue.

First thing in translation: 1 word alone CANNOT always be translated to 1 or 2 words. It is always possible to do it in a full phrase. It just sounds really bad....
"doujinshi, mita koto nai"
"fan made drawings, ive never seen them before" (i really didnt try to get a decent t/l for doujinshi, but you get the point.)

The trick of good translations is to not make it overly wordy... Therefore, its not impossible, it just sounds bad.
well, I was not complaining about the translation, but replying to the previous post saying that "since hentai is not in english dictionary so eroge should not be translated to hentai games" and I guess he suggests people to use proper english words in Oxford dictionary in the translation.

And there's google, even when hentai is not in english dictionary, a google result can give you some rough idea of what hentai games are. Also is "hentai" really that a "limited word" to a cult community for english speakers?

Anyway, I'm not suggesting that people should translate doujinshi to fan-fic or fan made drawing (or "fan made magazine" if we take it to the literal translation)... I'm fine with terms like hankenmono, doujinshi and Ontai.... hmm... maybe doujinshi can be translated to fanzine? but then is fanzine a "proper english word"? Also direct literal translations not only sound bad, but also can give people wrong ideas sometimes IMO, like Ontai, it can be directly translated into governor, but here it doesn't make sense if people translate the Ontai in the manga club talk into governor... and doujinshi does not really held the same meaning as fanzines in english I think...

I think ACG means anime, comic, game.

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-10-28 at 07:14.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 01:15   Link #122
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Episode 4 re-cap:

Ohno Kanako cosplaying as Jam Kuradoberi.... (*´Д`)ハァハァ

I still think she would've been a fine May though. 萌え!
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 01:30   Link #123
MrBrown

It was a funny ep.

She's definetly the weirdest of the bunch.
MrBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 01:42   Link #124
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrown
It was a funny ep.

I think Kawasumi Ayako portrayed Kanako-tan very well...although my inner-voice-changer clicked in that Mahoro-san was speaking. I wonder if they could just pull off an "ecchi nano wa ikenaito omoimasu!!" somewhere, I would be so yelling "yoshaaa!!"
Old 2004-11-01, 01:58   Link #125
choia

Well she does cosplay Mahoro in a future chapter...
choia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 04:48   Link #126
naught
Enjoy & Relevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrown
It was a funny ep.

Is the yaoi fangirl from the later chapters of the manga (forgot her name) showing up in the anime, too? She'd probably top it.
naught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 12:42   Link #127
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naught
Is the yaoi fangirl from the later chapters of the manga (forgot her name) showing up in the anime, too? She'd probably top it.
That is Ohno-san.
Old 2004-11-01, 15:10   Link #128
Sydney2K

Send a message via ICQ to Sydney2K Send a message via AIM to Sydney2K Send a message via MSN to Sydney2K Send a message via Yahoo to Sydney2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
That is Ohno-san.
Ohno is a yaoi fangirl? O_O; I thought her tastes (as the manga has it) went down another path (ie.,
Spoiler:
)

BTW, one thing I haven't seen mentioned is the fact that when it gets down to it, I feel Genshiken is a soap opera! Granted, it's not a soap opera as we might recognise it, but when you strip away the veneer of otaku-ism, it's about people trying to get along with each other. And that's what's so nice about it, that it shows otaku as people with feelings and hopes and dreams.

Widya Santoso
Sydney2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 15:45   Link #129
Takemi_Ikazuchi

Correct, she does not like the effeminate men archetype. It's all muscle bound bald machoness for her. Speaking of which I think they changed the poster in her room. In the manga I could identify it as a poster of Lord Degwin Zabi of Gundam fame.
Takemi_Ikazuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 15:59   Link #130
naught
Enjoy & Relevant

Quote:
That is Ohno-san.
No, I mean someone else. She appears in the latest chapters published, I believe. I think I have seen her in chapter 25.

edit: Apparently her name is Ogiue. (荻上)

edit2: The girl on the left part of this image:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/uirou/bca0ef26.jpg

edit 3: Also in the second pic of this thread: http://www.cyril.dreamhost.com/a/res/147.html

Last edited by naught; 2004-11-01 at 16:54.
Old 2004-11-01, 16:00   Link #131
naught
Enjoy & Relevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney2K
Ohno is a yaoi fangirl? O_O; I thought her tastes (as the manga has it) went down another path (ie.,
Spoiler:
Actually...

Spoiler for concerning Ohno & yaoi:

Last edited by naught; 2004-11-01 at 16:59.
Old 2004-11-01, 17:19   Link #132
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

That Kos-Mos costume rocked
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-02, 01:03   Link #133
jennwenn

Any idea how many episodes Genshiken will be yet?
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-02, 01:41   Link #134
Sydney2K

Send a message via ICQ to Sydney2K Send a message via AIM to Sydney2K Send a message via MSN to Sydney2K Send a message via Yahoo to Sydney2K
Quote:
No, I mean someone else. She appears in the latest chapters published, I believe. I think I have seen her in chapter 25.

edit: Apparently her name is Ogiue. (荻上)
She was the one in the latest tankubon who
Spoiler:

Widya Santoso
Sydney2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-02, 15:17   Link #135
dreamless

seems the anime took the liberty to create its own little side plot in ep3... don't know how it will affect later stories yet...
Spoiler for ep3:
really looking forward to ep4, actually the yuri-fan inside me is looking forward to a certain scene in ep4

still feeling quite uncomfortable with the Kohsaka character... -_-
Old 2004-11-02, 15:28   Link #136
naught
Enjoy & Relevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
seems the anime took the liberty to create its own little side plot in ep3... don't know how it will affect later stories yet...
Spoiler for ep3:
Hm...

Spoiler:
Old 2004-11-02, 15:53   Link #137
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Unhappy

Quote:
Hm...

Spoiler:
They combined the two Comifes (Comike) episodes into one.
Old 2004-11-02, 16:36   Link #138
naught
Enjoy & Relevant

Quote:
They combined the two Comifes (Comike) episodes into one.

Well, manga-to-anime conversions always cut away some parts of the manga, don't they?
Old 2004-11-02, 22:30   Link #139
dreamless

oh, so they combined stuffs from two chapters into one... have only read the first volume of the manga so had no idea about later chapters
Old 2004-11-03, 00:31   Link #140
outlaw97

Am I alone in finding this show incredibly inspirational? I mean, I know the stigma associated with otaku in Japan, but at the same time, I can't help but laugh in glee at how these people embrace their interests so wholeheartedly. It's like, "Fine, if we're going to be called otaku, we will take it TO THE MAX!"

Plus, the roundtable discussion at the end of ep 2 was VERY amusing. I eagerly await the arrival of the cosplayer!
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seinen