AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > School Rumble

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-31, 19:26   Link #361
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

LOL!!! And that's a bad thing? hehe. I think it's great when a series is so good that it gets this much press already. That's rare for a series these days.
Old 2004-10-31, 19:55   Link #362
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
LOL!!! And that's a bad thing? hehe. I think it's great when a series is so good that it gets this much press already. That's rare for a series these days.
You thought the posts are alot, take a look at the total-views.
Old 2004-10-31, 20:10   Link #363
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I'll bet ya this thread crosses 100,000 views. Probubly a first for AS.

But 22,000+ after 3 episodes is pretty impressive.
Old 2004-10-31, 20:59   Link #364
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

What the series has going for it?

Great characters and how they bounce off one another. Well, more like crash and burn in one huge smouldering heap Comedy gold all, especially when Harima summons the courage to finally confess his love...
Spoiler:

Excellent manga pedigree. Come to think of it, its manga thread is virtually dead and spoilers from it are being posted here They seem to be animating a ratio of 4 episodes to 1 tank volume. Since it hasn't ended yet and they've released scenes already drawn for the anime up to volume 5, it's safe to say this show may run longer than the usual 26.

Yeah, parody fun . The number of anime, movie and popular culture references put in has basically gone into levels previously seen in a Gainax or GDH production. When we spot one it gets put down here.

Face it, despite the above we only have 3 groups subbing this work and no one working on the manga. Of those Dash is on haitus, WF messed up the punchline at least twice [it's 'Mangoku' and he wasn't talking about reading a book] and I don't have a comment on A4L as yet. IMO, SR just isn't getting treated right

Last edited by Burner of Anime; 2004-11-01 at 08:04.
Old 2004-10-31, 21:29   Link #365
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I agree, I'm surprised more groups haven't picked this up. The translation for SR 3 by dash is nearly done, they are just having some trouble with trying to hear the background conversation between the girls in the 3rd part of the episode. After that it will be sent to the editor and released, so hang in there. They aren't on hiatus, just a little sluggish this time around.

As for the manga, mangainc has done up to volume 5 I believe, but its a really bad translation and editing job, so I didn't bother to read past the first few chapters. Who knows though, maybe another group is planning to pick it up

Last edited by Roots; 2004-11-05 at 01:32.
Old 2004-10-31, 21:55   Link #366
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

I guess American fans would kill to get hands on my "School Rumble Vol. 1" manga, personally autographed and illustrated picture of Tsukamoto Tenma by Kobayashi Jin...
Old 2004-10-31, 21:58   Link #367
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I guess American fans would kill to get hands on my "School Rumble Vol. 1" manga, personally autographed and illustrated picture of Tsukamoto Tenma by Kobayashi Jin...
Most likely... Yes. Although not many people here would understand it's value, it's certainly desirable.
Old 2004-10-31, 23:41   Link #368
FlyByNite

Quote:
Nah, but i'd kill you if it was Eri-chan
Old 2004-11-01, 01:09   Link #369
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
I'll bet ya this thread crosses 100,000 views. Probubly a first for AS.

But 22,000+ after 3 episodes is pretty impressive.
I check this thread way too much .
Old 2004-11-01, 01:25   Link #370
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Okay, I'll give a serious topic on SR:

For my own curiosity, what is it about "School Rumble" that makes it so attractive to the non-Japanese viewers? I ask this question because "School Rumble" is quite heavily centered upon Japanese high school life which probably differs greatly from foreign schools.

Is it the uniqueness of Japanese school life? How does that differ from other school-life anime that you have seen before?

Is it the jokes? Do you understand them?

Or is it the shining personalities of the characters and/or the seiyuus that portray them?

Honestly, the only thing I can think of from a Japanese standpoint why we love "School Rumble" is the moe~ factor. That and Harima.
Old 2004-11-01, 01:44   Link #371
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melty Snow
I check this thread way too much .
Same here, it's just that I never read the manga nor did I watch the RAWs. Therefore I couldn't really join in on the conversations...

kj1980:
I like School Rumble for one main reason, it's funny, and to a lesser extent, the characters. Yes, the Japanese school life is vastly different to the school life here in Canada (we're much looser and easier going than Japan), but that's not the hook of the show. So it would be the comedy that attracts me (eg. the initial D reference), and my understanding of the jokes fully depends on the translations, as I do not know much about the Japanese culture. If the translators take more time in explaining jokes, I'm sure the funnier it'll be. The characters are somewhat important, as the (quirky) qualities of each characters often fuel the jokes of the show. The seiyuu's doesn't mean much to me. I could care less who's voicing who, or which seiyuu is present, as long as the voices fit the characters and their roles. Of course, everyone will have their own reasons to why they like SR.
Old 2004-11-01, 02:00   Link #372
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Okay, I'll give a serious topic on SR:

For my own curiosity, what is it about "School Rumble" that makes it so attractive to the non-Japanese viewers? I ask this question because "School Rumble" is quite heavily centered upon Japanese high school life which probably differs greatly from foreign schools.

Is it the uniqueness of Japanese school life? How does that differ from other school-life anime that you have seen before?

Is it the jokes? Do you understand them?

Or is it the shining personalities of the characters and/or the seiyuus that portray them?

Honestly, the only thing I can think of from a Japanese standpoint why we love "School Rumble" is the moe~ factor. That and Harima.
err... do you mean School Rumble represents real Japanese school life and high school students? Is real Japanese school life that crazy

Personally, I like School Rumble for the insane parody, the absolute craziness, the hilarious characters, and of course Yakumo-chan

About other school life animes... well... I do like Azumanga Daioh even more...
Old 2004-11-01, 02:06   Link #373
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
err... do you mean School Rumble represents real Japanese school life and high school students? Is real Japanese school life that crazy
No, I am talking about field trips, culture festivals, school festivals, how we select classrooms, etc. etc.

These are portrayed in different school-life related anime, so I guess you are all accustomed to the difference of Japanese high school system.
Old 2004-11-01, 02:18   Link #374
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

From a shoujo fan's point of view:

Azumanga Daioh + Love relationships + nonsenses = School Rumble

The characters in School Rumbles is quite on par with Azumanga Daioh's.
We have reckless Tenma, dutiful Yakumo, princess Eri, mysterious Akira etc.
Some of characters (+ in manga) are stereotypes, but it should not bother anyone because the main point is to deliver jokes to audiences.

Translation
This is the biggest issue and understandably very hard to do it properly since some of jokes are very language-specific. Manga translation aside (I wouldn't touch it since many persons have voiced the similiar opinions), I found there are a few mistakes or ignored small jokes that are very difficult to convey to audiences. For example, in WF's episode 3, Tenma spoke to Yakumo in kyoto dialect before leaving the house 'hunting' with her bow.
Old 2004-11-01, 02:41   Link #375
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Yeah, long rant time.

I gues it's about the same here. Another thing is the concept of how far you can push a joke, in this case what disaster can possibly occur to the leads in their misguided attempt to find love in another. In truth, I wasn't sold onto the manga until I got to Harima's first confession attempt. Who would have thought of a sick backfire with his enemy setting up a fight at the exact same time and place Not only does it get even more tragic and hillarious with the later attempts, it may have struck a chord in a number of guys who have attempted the same thing with equally memorable results.

I suppose that's the biggest difference when a guy is writing a romance comedy as opposed to a girl. In the vast majority of the romance manga I've read done by women they either mull over too long actually opening their mouth to tell the guy they like them, or execute some fantastically complex scheme that puts the lead a little further away from the goal. A bloke is generally different, they see a target and immediately decide to hit it- usually without counting the cost and with the barest of preparation. If he messes up then he tries again till the girl gets the clue- unless of course she's as dense as concrete like Tenma Perfect setup for comedic disaster

Oddly enough, both the show and manga is rather lean on the fanservice that so plagues the genre. Not to say they aren't attractively drawn, just that the writer has taken great pains to make sure each character is unique from one another. Might say this is one of the rare manga works I've come across where I can clearly tell apart the entire cast without relying on the colour of their underwear. In a nutshell, it was both well planned and well writen- and has an added bonus of showing an alternate view of things from the bside stories,

Personally, I like the directing work done so far. This is especially important since the show is an almost total conversion from the manga. In a sense, a manga reader will already know what to expect- but that can all go to hell if the execution doesn't make sense. So far I have nothing but the highest commendation for the comic timing of the director and VA crew.
Old 2004-11-01, 02:49   Link #376
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

I haven't seen many comedy school life anime (actually I can only recall Azumanga Diaoh), so School Rumble is pretty refreshing to watch. It is light hearetd, sweet, and funny, and the pace of the show is quick (where one episode is actually many different episodes). Even with limited knowledge of Japanese culture, I get enough of the jokes to keep SR more than entertaining. Stuff like Tenma writing "suki" and the kappa joke I wouldn't get though without help. For characters... Harima is probably my new favorite male character. Glad to know he is a factor for Japanese to watch SR .

While making spinning Tenma, I noticed Arc's hair in your avatar blended with the background, so use this if you like.

Last edited by Melty Snow; 2004-11-01 at 03:00.
Old 2004-11-01, 03:21   Link #377
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Another fun thing about this show? Has an abundance of overexaggerated expressions, cool still shots of the characters and material for a legion of spinning avatars. I'd have though Yakitake would come ahead but the vast majority of new avatars seen come from SR because of the above. So advantage to SR for Guru Guru power

Taking apart Harima's appeal? Let's face it, he's not a wimp that gets pussy whipped to the moon for every breast grab and accidental panty shot he comes across. He's about beaten the hell out of every guy he's come across unless he doesn't feel like it. So far he has avoided the trap of having to choose between cross dressing and death [which is another sick anime law], that's a good thing since nothing kills macho appeal faster than a dress [unless there's a plan involved].

Another thing is his general attitude to the opposite sex. Sure he's rough but on the whole has been polite, obliging and even chivalrous. Most of the male characters I've seen belong to the W.A.P [Wimp, @$$#ole and Pervert] club- Harima just has a fragile ego and bad luck. Last bit Eri doesn't count , she is his gender opposite and must serve as his mortal enemy until the writer can't push the joke between them any further. Between Tenma, Yakumo and onee-sama Tae it still has a lot of juice left to exploit.

Edit: WF just pushed out ep4. Not taking it just to see the jokes ruined

Last edited by Burner of Anime; 2004-11-01 at 07:57.
Old 2004-11-01, 09:22   Link #378
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

In case anyone is wondering, we now have ep3 from -

Feel free to leach from the usual place ^_^
Old 2004-11-01, 09:35   Link #379
stevency
To kill or be killed?!

I only watch -'s sub, it let me found "for fans, by fans" spirit which losted long ago.
Old 2004-11-01, 11:14   Link #380
mezarashi

Agree with burner. Those WF bastards can go wannabe wherever they want. I must sigh in disbelief of another horribly subbed episode. What we need are sincere people who sub this truly because they love the anime and want to share it. Thanks to Dash-Fansubs for saving us all. Episode 3 ^_^ finally.
Closed Thread