Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-04-25, 23:59   Link #741
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Could Memphis actually do it? One game away!
I think their chances are high...I mean only 8 teams have ever come back from a 3-1 deficit in the playoffs and as good as the Spurs were during the regular season, I just don't see them winning 4 in a row. But seriously, what happened? They had such a good season and I saw them in the finals this year...
Old 2011-04-26, 00:35   Link #742
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

The Spurs have been bad since the All-Star Break. And their main weakness is no secret. They can't play DEFENSE. Which is bizarre since Popovich has usually created teams which thrive on defense. But this year, San Antonio have been offensively strong, but their defense ranks in the bottom few. And when you hit the playoffs, if you can't play defense, teams that are more tenacious will rip you apart.

Why are Chicago, Miami and Oklahoma doing so well since the All-Star Break? DEFENSE. Thibodeau values defense above anything and has drilled it into Chicago. Spoelstra needed more gelling time but he's now getting more consistent performances out of Miami. Oklahoma have stepped it up ever since they picked up Kendrick Perkins from Boston.

Boston will be the only team to get the sweep in the first round. However, they played a defensive mess in New York. Miami play good defense. We'll see where Boston are at in that semi.

As for Orlando, it's getting to the point of Dwight Howard being the only person who is performing enough. Jameer Nelson is doing a fair bit, but the players from two years ago which helped get them to the Finals have just not fired a shot. And if Atlanta finish Orlando off, Dwight Howard just might start looking for a new club. Imagine if Miami got him...I doubt that's even remotely possible, but it would be funny as hell.

Denver take one out of Oklahoma. They're too good a side to get swept. George Karl did well.

I'm almost wondering if the Lakers are in big trouble. I mean, New Orleans are a good side, but most people thought they were finished once West was out for the season. But Paul is going berserk, Ariza is consistently scoring, Okafor is giving a defensive presence. The usual suspects for LA just aren't clicking much. If they play like this versus whoever wins the Dallas-Portland series (now at 3-2), LA will get mauled.

But this is great stuff. Nothing is certain this year. People wanted surprises and teams that hadn't achieved much before to rise. Two major upsets are one game away from happening. A third is still quite possible. This is what the playoffs should be.
Old 2011-04-26, 09:44   Link #743
judasmartel
*Author

I saw the Game 3 Highlights at NBA.com, and Popovich was like "WTF? You no call time-out?" towards the end of the game. Honestly, I don't know if it's funny or not.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 12:29   Link #744
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
I saw the Game 3 Highlights at NBA.com, and Popovich was like "WTF? You no call time-out?" towards the end of the game. Honestly, I don't know if it's funny or not.
It reminds me of the time versus Houston they didn't foul and how they blew that game versus Portland. It's funny but sadly, San Antonio keep doing it fairly often...and this time they've pretty much blown it. #1 record for the regular season going out in 5 will be a real blow to them.
Old 2011-04-26, 14:33   Link #745
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
As for Orlando, it's getting to the point of Dwight Howard being the only person who is performing enough. Jameer Nelson is doing a fair bit, but the players from two years ago which helped get them to the Finals have just not fired a shot. And if Atlanta finish Orlando off, Dwight Howard just might start looking for a new club. Imagine if Miami got him...I doubt that's even remotely possible, but it would be funny as hell.
There is no chance in that really really hot place that Dwight would go to Miami, I know that LA, NJ and even his hometown Hawks would go ahead(I am from Georgia and a Hawks fan, go figure) for him. But CP3 is killing the Lakers this year and when he becomes a free-agent next season (if they dont have a lockout), he will might get the biggest contract in NBA History, he is that good even better then D.Rose and he has a bum knee to boot.
Old 2011-04-28, 12:43   Link #746
Prodigy
Heartless

Wow. Can't believe that the Spurs pulled off a win last night. Good game.

I love this years playoffs. Can't wait until tonight.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 12:48   Link #747
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Yeah, for the first time in ages, San Antonio made a lot of clutch plays at the end of the game. In recent times, that is the type of game they would have lost. Still, they are still in a hole and will have to fight hard to get out of it. And I still think whoever gets out of that series, Oklahoma will be able to beat in 6 max. Durant is playing out of his skin and their defense has really picked up. Miami - Boston should be one brutal series. Time to see what both sides are really made of. And can Atlanta finish Orlando off, or will Dwight Howard pull Orlando out of a hole yet again?
Old 2011-04-28, 16:20   Link #748
Mithfalath
Elegiac Servant

Send a message via Yahoo to Mithfalath
I'm looking forward to Paul's epic salvation of the Hornets from ending their season.

I hope... ><
Old 2011-04-28, 17:17   Link #749
Prodigy
Heartless

Quote:
Yeah, for the first time in ages, San Antonio made a lot of clutch plays at the end of the game. In recent times, that is the type of game they would have lost. Still, they are still in a hole and will have to fight hard to get out of it. And I still think whoever gets out of that series, Oklahoma will be able to beat in 6 max. Durant is playing out of his skin and their defense has really picked up. Miami - Boston should be one brutal series. Time to see what both sides are really made of. And can Atlanta finish Orlando off, or will Dwight Howard pull Orlando out of a hole yet again?
East:

I think it could go either way for the Boston-Miami series but I'll give the edge to Boston becasue they play more consistent on both sides of the floor and they got a better bench.

Hopefully Howard and the Magic can pull off this comeback because I would rather see the Bulls face the Magic than the Hawks.

West:

I agree, I don't think that neither the Spurs or the Grizzlies have what it takes to beat OKC in a 7 games series.

I think L.A. closes out the series tonight but wouldn't be surprised if the Hornets win.

As for the Mavs-Blazers series, I would like to see Kidd and Nowitzki win a championship but there's a pretty slim chance that they do.
Old 2011-04-29, 03:17   Link #750
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Dallas through in 6 and Atlanta through in 6. Atlanta complete the upset. There will be hell to pay in Orlando. Wonder what will happen to Howard and van Gundy.

So we now wait as to what happens tomorrow between Memphis and San Antonio.
Old 2011-04-29, 07:54   Link #751
yeahitschris

^ i really want memphis to win, for the HUGE upset . and finally lakers won yay vs dallas now
Old 2011-04-29, 22:42   Link #752
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

And as expected, Memphis knock off San Antonio!

#1 regular season record for what?!

Charles Barkley is gonna have a field day with this. He was calling San Antonio 'pretenders' all year. He won't let this go.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2011-04-29 at 22:57.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 13:56   Link #753
Prodigy
Heartless

Quote:
And as expected, Memphis knock off San Antonio!

#1 regular season record for what?!

Charles Barkley is gonna have a field day with this. He was calling San Antonio 'pretenders' all year. He won't let this go.
Barkley is so annoying but he did call it.

With the way the Thunder are playing, I don't see the Grizzlies winning more than a game or two.

Also is Caron Butler back for the Mavs or is it that just a rumor?
Old 2011-04-30, 14:11   Link #754
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

He's trying to make it back, but it's no guarantee.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 14:18   Link #755
Prodigy
Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
He's trying to make it back, but it's no guarantee.
If he does comeback it would make the series a bit more interesting.

Hopefully both the Hawks and Grizzlies lose, I really don't want to watch a Hawks and Grizzlies finals.
Old 2011-04-30, 23:46   Link #756
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I'd like to see Thunder-Heat or Thunder-Bulls in the Finals.
Old 2011-05-01, 13:53   Link #757
Prodigy
Heartless

How is Memphis up by 13 starting the 4th?!

Edit: Wow they pulled off a huge win. Another upset?

Last edited by Prodigy; 2011-05-01 at 14:38.
Old 2011-05-01, 22:44   Link #758
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

First blood to Miami. And Pierce got ejected. Man, there was a lot of spite this game, but Boston let it get to them much more. Okay, the collision with Wade was unavoidable. But in that case and the one with Jones, Pierce lost the plot. Importantly for Miami, Wade carved them up - something he couldn't do in the regular season - with 38. 25 from James Jones is the kind of bench contributions they need. One thing I saw Doc Rivers scream to his players was 'If you're thinking you can beat this team athletically, you're wrong!'

And Memphis take the lead in their series...wow. Zack Randolph is playing his heart out and they have so much confidence now.
Old 2011-05-02, 01:46   Link #759
judasmartel
*Author

If Memphis wins their series vs OKC, they will become the first 8-seed to advance to the Western Conference Finals, and they will be the first 8-seed to advance to the Conference Finals in a full 82-game regular season.

The 1999 New York Knicks advanced to the Eastern Conference Finals, and the NBA Finals, but during a lock-out season of 50 games, NOT the full 82 games.

The 1994 Denver Nuggets and the 2007 Golden State Warriors were both ousted in the second round by the Utah Jazz.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 02:19   Link #760
Westlo
Lets be reality

Memphis ain't a true 8th seed... They tanked on purpose to get the spurs... They match up well against every contender left as well.

As for Wade tearing up the celtics people forget how outstanding he was afainst them in the playoffs last year.. He did way better than Kobe and lebron did last season
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote